My #WalkAway Story...

DemonicRuins

3 hours ago, Jacira said:

Okay then, I apologise if I was making a straw-man argument.

Expound good sir, expound.

No prob. The common conclusion drawn based on the comments in this thread seems to be that Wildcard is little more than a greedy group of incompetent, lazy, machiavellian, mustache-twisting money grubbers who cannot and will not change their ways.**

From their perspective, Old McWildcard doesn't give a hecking dang about the requests for a better flavor and would rather just milk the cow until it's dry so they can move on to the next fresh heifer ripe for peddling. If that's the theory someone subscribes to, there's no point in "asking the farmer to take the cow out back and review the cow's dietary habits so that the cow's milk tastes better." That's why I said you were applying new context.  

Assuming the above mindset** is true, if that is Wildcard's goal, suddenly capitulating and changing their ways is the equivalent of dragging their cash cow out back and putting a slug its noggin. Why would they do that? It's better at that point for someone with that mindset to just walk away from the milk...even if they originally thought it had the potential to be an ice cream sundae. 

1 hour ago, DemonicRuins said:

Pretty sure they get a cut from any and all private server hosting sites.  Would only make sense since it's their IP.  I however agree with your overall point.

Just throwing this out there, if such a cut existed I doubt it would come close to covering the cost of the official servers.

10 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

No prob. The common conclusion drawn based on the comments in this thread seems to be that Wildcard is little more than a greedy group of incompetent, lazy, machiavellian, mustache-twisting money grubbers who cannot and will not change their ways.**

I wouldn't go so far as to say common conclusion. The OP of the thread itself didn't even share this conclusion. Hence my confusion in my first point as I thought you were responding to them and not others.Quotations help.

10 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

From their perspective, Old McWildcard doesn't give a hecking dang about the requests for a better flavor and would rather just milk the cow until it's dry so they can move on to the next fresh heifer ripe for peddling. If that's the theory someone subscribes to, there's no point in "asking the farmer to take the cow out back and review the cow's dietary habits so that the cow's milk tastes better." That's why I said you were applying new context.  

Assuming the above mindset** is true, if that is Wildcard's goal, suddenly capitulating and changing their ways is the equivalent of dragging their cash cow out back and putting a slug its noggin. Why would they do that? It's better at that point for someone with that mindset to just walk away from the milk...even if they originally thought it had the potential to be an ice cream sundae. 

Agreed here, and honestly I didn't fully understand your analogy until your last paragraph, your metaphor for the cash cow being shot is not Ark itself dying, but the cash cow method that allegedaly exists in the game) itself being put down in favour of the patron's palate?

Well if that is true, then the only thing left to say is this...

Ice cream tastes better than sour milk.

15 hours ago, LouSpowells said:

Just throwing this out there, if such a cut existed I doubt it would come close to covering the cost of the official servers.

More than likely WC doesn't pay a dime for the servers. They give rights to the many server farm companies to host their official servers and in exchange do so for free and only pay WC a small percentage of what they make off the private ones.

That's just how the indie gaming company business is.

Archived