Despite its flaws, why do you continue to play Ark?

Guest DJRone89

Guest DJRone89
9 hours ago, steelshiv said:

I still play because of the friends Ive made in the game.

We all met on official server 1 three years ago and we still play together on ark to this day :)

I met my main server admin from my first legacy server. We met through pure accident because we just happened to be in game chat at the time and not in a party. Since then we’ve spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours gaming together on Ark and other games.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I play for because of my intense love of Pegos.

Meaning I love to kill each and every one I ever come across!

I enjoy the crafting and the building, I like the thrill of starting a new character and building up an empire of buildings and tames.  I love breeding for color mutations and creating strong and better dinos. I enjoy the lack of play structure ... so I can spend a weekend building, or spend a weekend breeding, or just exploring. I can do what I want to do. In Single player, I can use Admin commands to build crazy structures, or spawn dinos from other maps. So much tweaking is allowed for so many aspects of the game, I can play a different version of the game any time I want.

Plus, who else love the fact that we have our own DINOS!  Nearly 2 years later, and I still love killing dinos on my Rexes and Gigas, or using my Fire wyvern to destroy something. Sure beats the hell out of Pac man and Donkey Kong!

20 hours ago, d1nk said:

I love Ark. Im a dedicated gamer and rarely switch games. My friends all play the new fad game as they come out and im not into that. I love the mmo feel of Ark coupled with the sandbox building element.

What keeps me going? Honestly its WDYDT thread. I would still play without it but I wouldnt have as much as a drive to actually do something. Theres times ill log in, sit and stare at my base trying to get motivation to play. Ive learnt not to play that day when I get like that and to take that time to do house work or chores etc.

I love the community feel on Ark servers. I just hate most of the online community. (mainly Reddit) These days everyones so quick to complain without giving credit where its' due. 

Exactly. Good to see im not the only one who can have this Idk what to do slap in the face, even tho you know what you can do but the motivation isnt there or your just not in the mood to deal with the delay of getting off/on dinos, or the lag of entering any inventory, or the dino driving becoming so annoying it can ruin the mood. I cant stop playing the game though its great. always played official pvp the first couple years now im 5 months deep into pve. the community I feel has been great its what will get me in the mood to play if chores are done at home and in the game

Got my own Nitrado server even if we are just my wife and I playing on it.

Removed structure decay and dino decay so we are not trap in a game we need to play all the time. We can build stuff in thatch for the look and not worry its going to decay.

Now we are enjoying it a lot, much better than official and not scare to lose everything. No dino caps, no lag, no pillars, no bases blocking a zone, ...

I like my settings at 2x xp, 3x gathering, 5x taming, 50x mating and breeding.

The only biggest flaw to me for Ark was dino sinking through floor, it totally broke the immersion and looked ugly, but it's been fixed even though it's still there for some dinoes but still acceptable. Other than that, I guess I can tolerate with the other flaws. As for why I continue to play Ark, it is a game that I can call home, literally,  it feels like home, it provides home, a place that I can build and live in. It also has interesting game mechanics for taming and breeding. 

I never bother with any boss fight even though I have been playing in several playthroughs, I usually quit the game when it becomes chores too much, then I will stop playing for a few months and comeback starting fresh. Rinse and repeat. 

I hope the devs will keep adding new game mechanics and contents to the game because that's what sandbox game needs, the more things we can do in a sandbox game, the better. I hope they will stop with new map after extinction and start adding more new stuffs to do to the base game.

6 minutes ago, DonaldDuck said:

The only biggest flaw to me for Ark was dino sinking through floor, it totally broke the immersion and looked ugly, but it's been fixed even though it's still there for some dinoes but still acceptable. Other than that, I guess I can tolerate with the other flaws. As for why I continue to play Ark, it is a game that I can call home, literally,  it feels like home, it provides home, a place that I can build and live in. It also has interesting game mechanics for taming and breeding. 

I never bother with any boss fight even though I have been playing in several playthroughs, I usually quit the game when it becomes chores too much, then I will stop playing for a few months and comeback starting fresh. Rinse and repeat. 

I hope the devs will keep adding new game mechanics and contents to the game because that's what sandbox game needs, the more things we can do in a sandbox game, the better. I hope they will stop with new map after extinction and start adding more new stuffs to do to the base game.

You should try boss battles man :) Ark is split into two sections as far as PvE playstyle is concerned; pre-boss and post-boss base / tame establishment. It might even be a fun thing to add to one of your playthroughs (or modify an existing one) to ascend through the bosses as per story

2 minutes ago, d1nk said:

You should try boss battles man :) Ark is split into two sections as far as PvE playstyle is concerned; pre-boss and post-boss base / tame establishment. It might even be a fun thing to add to one of your playthroughs (or modify an existing one) to ascend through the bosses as per story

The thing is I always play solo, or even when I play in a tribe, my tribemates also never do boss fight, I think I've been in 3 different playthrough in 3 tribes, but none of them ever did boss fight lol. Even though there probably is a boss that can be soloed, I'm still afraid of dc, imagine 20 rex raised in weeks died in only minutes because of dc'ed. 

Also boss fight needs good saddles, ppl said asc 90 armor for rex, and in those several playthroughs I've been in, I NEVER found a rex saddle, not even ramshackle. They should stop tailoring the RNG to be that hard for getting good saddle bp especially saddle bp for dinoes for boss fight.

55 minutes ago, DonaldDuck said:

The thing is I always play solo, or even when I play in a tribe, my tribemates also never do boss fight, I think I've been in 3 different playthrough in 3 tribes, but none of them ever did boss fight lol. Even though there probably is a boss that can be soloed, I'm still afraid of dc, imagine 20 rex raised in weeks died in only minutes because of dc'ed. 

Also boss fight needs good saddles, ppl said asc 90 armor for rex, and in those several playthroughs I've been in, I NEVER found a rex saddle, not even ramshackle. They should stop tailoring the RNG to be that hard for getting good saddle bp especially saddle bp for dinoes for boss fight.

You just need to actually look for a saddle. Hunker down in a base near swamp cave (tree fort is nice for this) and run the drops every 30 mins or so. Between runs you need to be out on a flier hitting drops. I know it sounds obvious.. but you need to put some time in. Once you get even a decent JM saddle you're more than fine. ( Crafting bonus)

I do the bosses solo on almost every playthrough I do. Officals, legacy, unofficial, SP etc.. Just focus on getting a good breeding pair and anything near 350 melee, 9k hp (rex) 7k hp (theriz) *At birth stats* can easily do up to med brood, ape and even possibly alpha ape. Use mindwipes to crafting bonus the saddles, then just slowly breed. Once you have 19, A yuty, pig for between and another pair of backup rexs/theriz for replacing youre set. The most time consuming is collecting the artifacts (brood and med ape require very little for tribute and such) 

Longer than I intended. This is also what I love about ark.

Because its FUN.

I don't believe there is any comparable game out there. Not with all the dino taming bits and survival and the option to go online and create havoc / die a lot / make new mates.

And there is always a new take on something. Latest server I am playing on there is some fool running around and infecting everyone - I think 90% of the server pop runs around coughing all day.

11 hours ago, d1nk said:

Just focus on getting a good breeding pair and anything near 350 melee, 9k hp (rex) 7k hp (theriz) *At birth stats* can easily do up to med brood, ape and even possibly alpha ape.

Btw I have Rex Parents with base 20k HP and 699% melee, how should I distribute the stats for boss fight ? Not that I plan to do a boss fight anytime soon, but first thing first since I got this Rex I want to know how should I distribute the stats first.

---

Having played the game for quite a long time using the same character, my character has now reached lv 99 and without boss fight I won't be able to mindwipe often. But it's weird I'm lv 99 but I have 2 levelups available (I don't level up my character yet because I want to preserve mindwipe for extinction later with this character), can I use this 2 levelup points to reach 101 without ascension ?

Guest DJRone89
42 minutes ago, DonaldDuck said:

Btw I have Rex Parents with base 20k HP and 699% melee, how should I distribute the stats for boss fight ? Not that I plan to do a boss fight anytime soon, but first thing first since I got this Rex I want to know how should I distribute the stats first.

---

Having played the game for quite a long time using the same character, my character has now reached lv 99 and without boss fight I won't be able to mindwipe often. But it's weird I'm lv 99 but I have 2 levelups available (I don't level up my character yet because I want to preserve mindwipe for extinction later with this character), can I use this 2 levelup points to reach 101 without ascension ?

The level cap is currently 103 before ascension. It’s been increasing by 1 with every Extinction Chronicle event, so it will likely end with a cap of 105, meaning you’re free to mindwipe but the XP required for each additional level is a lot.

Very few games have "pet" mechanics like ark does.

Very few dragon games.

Very few interesting survival games.

Generally smaller niche games don't interest me. However I love games with a unique pets that you can take care of and fight for you. And I love dragons. The survival is a aspect I wish I had more in games. Despite all of its flaws, ark keeps my interest with all the different things you can do and the unique feeling you get. Like living in Jurassic park. Everythings bigger then you. Amazing game.

4 hours ago, DonaldDuck said:

---

They're born with that?! I level my rexs to around that hahah.. you can easily get em 40k hp 1000+ melee and own every boss. You can farm alpha ape for element easily, probably take down island hard drag with practice. Thoss are waaaay better rexs then ive ever seen lol

2 hours ago, d1nk said:

Thoss are waaaay better rexs then ive ever seen lol

71+ points in health will do that, its highly unlikely that your ever going to see a stat roll that high though, but also not entirely impossible.

It's more likely he is playing on the old dino stats still (some people prefer the pre-nerf stats), or that he mutated the heck out of that line considering the melee is also off the charts (78+ points).

As for why i still play Ark, despite all its flaws, its simple really.

Every time i want to play, there is something i can do that i enjoy doing, if i'm not in the mood to grind i don't have to and get to play with met pets all day. Also as many other have mentioned, i get to play it the way i want to play it, so iff i dont have the time to protect my tames for long periods of time i just speed up the taming process to match my time dedication.

2 hours ago, lordbufu said:

71+ points in health will do that, its highly unlikely that your ever going to see a stat roll that high though, but also not entirely impossible.

It's more likely he is playing on the old dino stats still (some people prefer the pre-nerf stats), or that he mutated the heck out of that line considering the melee is also off the charts (78+ points).

As for why i still play Ark, despite all its flaws, its simple really.

Every time i want to play, there is something i can do that i enjoy doing, if i'm not in the mood to grind i don't have to and get to play with met pets all day. Also as many other have mentioned, i get to play it the way i want to play it, so iff i dont have the time to protect my tames for long periods of time i just speed up the taming process to match my time dedication.

There is an official new line going around like 20k hp 650-700 melee, legit and confirmed on these forums. Just saying they are better than any ive had lol

31 minutes ago, d1nk said:

There is an official new line going around like 20k hp 650-700 melee, legit and confirmed on these forums. Just saying they are better than any ive had lol

Who ever manged to tame/breed that line, has got to be filthy rich at this point, if not burned out from the effort of getting it :P

I live in the isolation of solo playing, so i tend to forget that trading is a legit game aspect on servers ?

Just out of curiosity though, is that a non-mutated line ?

5 minutes ago, lordbufu said:

Who ever manged to tame/breed that line, has got to be filthy rich at this point, if not burned out from the effort of getting it :P

I live in the isolation of solo playing, so i tend to forget that trading is a legit game aspect on servers ?

Just out of curiosity though, is that a non-mutated line ?

Im also off official for awhile and no, its heavily mutated. He stacks an insane amount of muts onto it

The people and friends I've made are a huge aspect that keeps me playing. Also started getting into bosses and learning how to solo each of them, so that's been another thing that's kept me hooked into playing. Oh, and all of these events are a huge reason why I still play as much as I do. Need all the pretty dinos. 

7 hours ago, d1nk said:

They're born with that?! I level my rexs to around that hahah.. you can easily get em 40k hp 1000+ melee and own every boss. You can farm alpha ape for element easily, probably take down island hard drag with practice. Thoss are waaaay better rexs then ive ever seen lol

Base HP/dmg is 16.9k/580 respectively iirc, 20k and 699% is after 100% imprint. Got them from a fellow player on the same server.

40k and 1000% is exactly what I have in mind lol, but I haven't leveled up the rexes yet maybe later if I plan to breed more for boss fight. Only use one for gathering meat.

What is the hp/dmg/saddle armor for the rexs you use for boss fight ? Just for comparison, like if for example u use 20k rex with 90 armor saddle, maybe I can use 45 armor saddle with 40k hp rex. The effective health would be about the same. Was going to farm blueprints regularly in icecave but my thyla was decayed I forgot to feed it. Can I get rex bp in icecave red loots ?

23 minutes ago, DonaldDuck said:

Base HP/dmg is 16.9k/580 respectively iirc, 20k and 699% is after 100% imprint. Got them from a fellow player on the same server.

40k and 1000% is exactly what I have in mind lol, but I haven't leveled up the rexes yet maybe later if I plan to breed more for boss fight. Only use one for gathering meat.

What is the hp/dmg/saddle armor for the rexs you use for boss fight ? Just for comparison, like if for example u use 20k rex with 90 armor saddle, maybe I can use 45 armor saddle with 40k hp rex. The effective health would be about the same. Was going to farm blueprints regularly in icecave but my thyla was decayed I forgot to feed it. Can I get rex bp in icecave red loots ?

I believe you can in the ice cave, id double check though. Swamp cave for sure, just need a nice baryonyx or carno (frogs too if u need paste but I prefer the speed of bary) fish meat up first in the pond below it.

I did up to med brood and alpha ape with my rexs at 9.5k hp and 340 melee birth, 60 arm saddles. I switched to Therizinos after that had 8k hp and 343 melee birth with 66-80 arm saddles and farmed alpha ape a few times easily. The rexs were 25-30k hp 500-550 mele6 and theriz about 21k hp 600 melee, imprinted and fully leveled 

Archived