Despite its flaws, why do you continue to play Ark?

Guest DJRone89

Guest DJRone89

I enjoy hosting and bringing people together. If they’re happy, I’m happy. Before renting came to Xbox, I was ready to stop hosting but the community were very supportive and were more than happy to donate to keep things going. Many admitted to quitting Ark altogether if my server ceased to exist so it’s a good feeling knowing you’ve made such an impact on so many people.

What are your reasons for continuing to play, as long as you have?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played out of sheer hope WC would 180 their path and start fixing the game and the issues that have existed since Early Access. Hope is a dangerous thing though and eventually that runs out. I quit today and uninstalled it. Would have liked to check out unofficial but was hit with the wall of putting in time that could instantly be whiped away if the owner quit.

2 minutes ago, DemonicRuins said:

I played out of sheer hope WC would 180 their path and start fixing the game and the issues that have existed since Early Access. Hope is a dangerous thing though and eventually that runs out. I quit today and uninstalled it. Would have liked to check out unofficial but was hit with the wall of putting in time that could instantly be whiped away if the owner quit.

Try unofficial mate! Its the best. I unistalled like you, but came back and went unoff. best thing i ever did in ark.

Honestly I dont know why I still play with all the issues with the game. Had it been any other game with the amount of problems Ark has I would have quit long ago. 

Despite the issues theres just something about the game I love, which keeps drawing me back to playing. I keep trying to play other games but Ark draws me back. I think theres something relaxing about the game for me, I can explore the worlds, tame the dinos and do things at my own pace. Brain power and concentration when playing isnt nessesarily required constantly when farming for example, whereas another game might require a more constant focus.  I can switch off from the outside world and its problems or after a day at work. For me its also escapism from the BS that is the current day job market. Some one please just give me a job ! I didnt study 5 years at uni to get stuck in catering !

27 minutes ago, BaldBudgie said:

Try unofficial mate! Its the best. I unistalled like you, but came back and went unoff. best thing i ever did in ark.

Unofficial can offer so much. Since quiting official I have actually been able to explore more of what the game offer. Whether its caving without the insane time requires to prep or actually being able to experience the breeding mechanics at a civilized rate. 

I continued to play for so long was because there is no other games that are what Ark tries to be. I am in love with the concept and really wish more games came out that were similar. But yeah, there is very few games out there that come close to ark. It's weird how such a successful game with so many flaws has so little competition. If a well optimised pvp survival game with mounts came out I'd leave ark in a heartbeat though haha. I also played for so long because I felt like I had to put all my spare time into this game to protect everything I had. It consumed my life pretty much at one point because you just couldn't afford to sleep for 4 hours without somebody trying to take everything you have and the fact there was unlimited things you had to do to keep your tribe running. It's just an addictive sweaty time consuming grindfest, that's why I carried on playing. :)

I love Ark. Im a dedicated gamer and rarely switch games. My friends all play the new fad game as they come out and im not into that. I love the mmo feel of Ark coupled with the sandbox building element.

What keeps me going? Honestly its WDYDT thread. I would still play without it but I wouldnt have as much as a drive to actually do something. Theres times ill log in, sit and stare at my base trying to get motivation to play. Ive learnt not to play that day when I get like that and to take that time to do house work or chores etc.

I love the community feel on Ark servers. I just hate most of the online community. (mainly Reddit) These days everyones so quick to complain without giving credit where its' due. 

27 minutes ago, MistaArkGuy said:

The story is so deep! I love theorizing about what happened to the planet to make it so destroyed. I also enjoy the general feel to the game, it’s like a cross between sci-fi and fantasy. There may be lots of other Survival games out there but Ark is unique. 

I am so excited to see how it all finishes off in Extinction. 

I love running/flying around on different mounts, test their skills, explore (still a lot to do on rag an AB), tame, breed for color combos I like, chat with friends I made in ARK.

Being aware of your surroundings, facing new and unexpected dangers and react accordingly is awesome, especially now that we always have backup dinos if something dies because I tested something stupid (sometimes stupid ideas turn out to be pretty good).

I enjoy building a lot if the structures snap where I want them to, sometimes it drives me crazy.

I haven't actually played in several months, but the reason why I did play for a few months after the nerf I hate is because the game itself is still a neat idea, and it does still have a lot of customization options. Still completely selfish/ignorant to just kill off leveling speed for an entire group of creatures though.

Plus I had heard good things about Ragnarok and since it was free I wanted to check out Ragnarok and I did play it for a good while. I like it a lot better than the other 2 maps.

Ark was the methadone that I needed to get me off a serious wow addiction. But I have stayed for the unrivaled beauty of the game. Just this last weekend I was remarking to myself how amazing just sunlight reflecting off my metal base looked. Every now and then when I am hunting a tame or gathering mats I just stop and look around at all the digital splendor surrounding me. The game has issues but you can't deny it is beautiful.

6 minutes ago, Kawarriorking said:

Ark was the methadone that I needed to get me off a serious wow addiction. But I have stayed for the unrivaled beauty of the game. Just this last weekend I was remarking to myself how amazing just sunlight reflecting off my metal base looked. Every now and then when I am hunting a tame or gathering mats I just stop and look around at all the digital splendor surrounding me. The game has issues but you can't deny it is beautiful.

Even for us console plebs! I always admire some nice PC shots..

For the same reason I play other games despite their flaws:

I enjoy it. 

I've played flawed games I like, and I've played flawed games I didn't like. Some have more flaws than others. For some the flaws overshadow the appeal. It's subjective. When it comes to the flaws-to-enjoyment ratio, the most masochistic I get is GTA5 Online. That game is an absolute train wreck and lately Rockstar has been ripping out the remaining railroad ties and selling them back to customers as features for in-game currency. It's a joke, but I like the game so I play it.

To a similar extent, that's why I play Ark. Even if aspects of the execution are flawed at times from my perception, I enjoy the game. Others don't. What still confuses me to this day are the people who don't like it, hate the developer, hate the direction, hate the changes, yet somehow still feel the urge to remain in the community and beat that drum. I can understand why someone would play something despite flaws...but I'm not quite sure I'll ever understand that.

I play ark for the people, and because I can build with mods now, and official players cannot, hahaha suck it!

I own my own server, 6 in a cluster, and a 7th for standalone hardcore survival mode. Why not? Enjoying the game with other people, knowing that the experience is although not official, but still a better game experience than official could ever provide.

I just play it for fun.

Though someone in the tribe I am on chose to continue playing this game despite all the bs issues they had left behind. In most survival games, you only need to worry about yourself, your groups and the building and its resources. In games like Conan and ARK, you need to worry about the AI you have as well. In the case of ARK, the dino/creatures, since they play pretty much an integral part of the game (not counting servers that are no-tame), like mining, harvesting, and even killing the bosses and enemies. Heck, even taking care of baby creatures as well can be annoying (due to undesirable combination or potential loss due to a finger slip), but are worth it in the end.

I do not see it having any more or less "flaws" than any other mmorpg.  Seems to me it actually works amazingly well for all the content.  What I would complain about the most, server crash, is a plague in all mmos. 

I think good stuff gets overlooked.  Like the cute animations for the Lystrosaurus.  I have a bunch of these guys to help lvl up my tames.  When I pet them I've come to call them "good little piggies."

Archived