Benefits of hosting official"unofficial" server?

Narthropi

Really only one question to ask for this topic, if I wanted to host a server and make it exactly like the original official except add damage panels would people even join? Is there a way for people to see the server settings before joining?

Only asking because I've thought about hosting my own server for the longest time, and realistically only wanted two changes from regular server. Add damage panels and put a no pillar rule, meaning you build your base there or you don't. 

49 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

You just have to name the server with something something like 

Vanilla

Official settings (any changes).

There are always people wanting vanilla servers.

Would you do 2x weekends?

Yeah everything would be the same every weekend. Most likely starting at 6am Friday to 11:59pm Monday would be the regular 2x weekend. I'd also do maybe something like one weekend a month do 2x breeding too. Maybe on holidays or some sort of determined month/week do 3x except breeding.

I haven't thought about those things yet but would go into great detail and thought when thinking about those.

Main reasoning behind me wanting to do this is some servers have extremely toxic people and I'd want to make it a friendly place for trades and just a good place to be. 

Current server I'm in on official has some bad apples but also has good genuine people that will come to your aid if you call for help.

I usually think of dedicated as a 24/7 server.

Not sure how your are going to host, but you probably have to manually change settings on weekends. Not sure there is an automatic way to do this, I could be wrong.

For PC, there are server plugins like kits, not sure if they work for an Xbox server. But there is a plugin for weekend settings.

4 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

I usually think of dedicated as a 24/7 server.

Not sure how your are going to host, but you probably have to manually change settings on weekends. Not sure there is an automatic way to do this, I could be wrong.

For PC, there are server plugins like kits, not sure if they work for an Xbox server. But there is a plugin for weekend settings.

Well I watched a video it seems easy except you need two xboxs just can't figure out how to change settings or if I can even use creative mode in a dedicated server. Some questions I'd love to get answered lol

But you are right a dedicated server is 24/7 and it's based off my upload speed which I got good internet, if Xbox is turned off, server is off. From what I read and saw in the video you need 2nd Xbox to actually play in that same hosted server

Guest DJRone89
1 hour ago, Narthropi said:

Well I watched a video it seems easy except you need two xboxs just can't figure out how to change settings or if I can even use creative mode in a dedicated server. Some questions I'd love to get answered lol

But you are right a dedicated server is 24/7 and it's based off my upload speed which I got good internet, if Xbox is turned off, server is off. From what I read and saw in the video you need 2nd Xbox to actually play in that same hosted server

For dedicated servers you must have 2 Xbox’s (or a Windows 10 PC/laptop). You can game share your account so not to pay for both gold memberships so that’s a plus.

The only other option for a 24/7 server would be to rent through Nitrado (best option) and have very extensive customisation options, full customer support, and back up save capabilities.

I hosted on my Xbox for over a year but ran into corruption issues so I wouldn’t advise you go down that route but you may get lucky. No back ups is something I’d never go back to.

9 minutes ago, BaldBudgie said:

I dont think anyone would join an xbox hosted session. Ppl often call it 24/7 but it never is and everyone knows that. It especially isn't 24/7 after you get your utility bill.

Nitrado is cheaper than a 24/7 running xbox.

Agreed. If you calculate out both power and internet, renting is generally cheaper. And easier.

Is Nitrado your only choice for Xbox? I liked g-portal better, but I have steam version.

6 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

Agreed. If you calculate out both power and internet, renting is generally cheaper. And easier.

Is Nitrado your only choice for Xbox? I liked g-portal better, but I have steam version.

Yes. Microsoft (unlike Sony) does everything through their Microsoft store and Nitrado is our only option. We can even use a web interface, has to be done through a Microsoft exclusive Nitrado app

Guest DJRone89
8 hours ago, tadragrac said:

You can make configuration files to change from vanilla to 2x when using Nitrado, just activate the file.  You can even set the server to auto reboot at any predetermined time, so you dont need to be at your computer/Xbox for the change to take place.  Easy.

The server even restarts itself if it crashes. People will tell me it’s crashed in my club chat but I’ll ignore them unless it’s down for a while, knowing Nitrado will auto restart it for me.

Archived