Is Pegomastax taming bugged?

Firethorn

So I'm trying to tame a Pegomastax for the eggs to collect the kibble.  Have it in a pen and go in with an inventory full of mejo and nothing else.  However, no matter how I feed it the mejoberries - 1, 20, 25, 100, the taming progress starts dropping after a minute or so until it reaches zero, not stopping even when the Pego steals another stack, whether it be from slot 0 or my inventory.

I play on PC, and for whatever reason there isn't a bug reports and support forum for it, so I'm posting here.  PVE official.

Is pegomastax taming impossible, or am I missing something?

18 minutes ago, Firethorn said:

So I'm trying to tame a Pegomastax for the eggs to collect the kibble.  Have it in a pen and go in with an inventory full of mejo and nothing else.  However, no matter how I feed it the mejoberries - 1, 20, 25, 100, the taming progress starts dropping after a minute or so until it reaches zero, not stopping even when the Pego steals another stack, whether it be from slot 0 or my inventory.

I play on PC, and for whatever reason there isn't a bug reports and support forum for it, so I'm posting here.  

I think you have to leave it alone, after feeding it, so it de-agro on you. If you have it in a pen, it'll agro on the structures as well, and you might have to get out of render and come back.

30 minutes ago, Firethorn said:

I play on PC, and for whatever reason there isn't a bug reports and support forum for it, so I'm posting here.  

I posted a reply but forgot to tag you, my bad ?

3 hours ago, BaldBudgie said:

I think you have to leave it alone, after feeding it, so it de-agro on you. If you have it in a pen, it'll agro on the structures as well, and you might have to get out of render and come back.

Not sure about the structures, but I went from a 2x2 pen to a 3x8 and noted far less problems with dropping tame level, backing off after each steal.  It didn't attack the walls at all.  Of course, in the meantime I lost the original and ended up taming one with half the levels.  

I think that maybe "not bugging" the pego after a steal may be the key.

Actually I do the opposite of what people do here. I was having the exact same issue you were and I couldnt figure it out for the longest time. What I ended up doing was building a pen and dropping it in there. Then I put the berries in my last inventory spot and let it steal them. Then when it runs away, I follow it and push it basically into the corner. If you are standing in the way and it cant get out, all you have to do is stand there and let it pick your last spot and refill it. Dont move and dont let it out of the corner. Easy peasy. 

On 9/5/2018 at 11:25 PM, Firethorn said:

I blocked myself in with a Pego and used stacks of 20 megos a piece in my zero slot just today that worked fine

I was using three dinosaur Gates/doors, 2 fence foundations, and 2 walls

On 9/7/2018 at 12:39 PM, 62Grains said:

Then when it runs away, I follow it and push it basically into the corner.

I tried that too during the attempt.

11 hours ago, shadowkyuubi said:

I was using three dinosaur Gates/doors, 2 fence foundations, and 2 walls

Almost identical to my setup.

Yet it didn't work for me.  What level pego?  I was going for a 145...

What server?  Private?  Official? PvP, PvE, etc...

On 9/6/2018 at 6:25 AM, Firethorn said:

You’re missing something. Pegos aren’t bugged just need to know how to.

I apologize in advance for my dribble and lecturing mode, but that’s how I serve my info, you asked for it and that’s how I supply it(Also sorry for English mistakes it’s not my native tongue)

Yes some dinos are dumb mode where you only need to knockout the dino, feed and tranq and voila, tamed..

The beauty of ARK is that not only it’s got diversity of dinos , but also diversity of taming methods.

Finding how to achieve some is a challenge, not everyone can muster.(Can’t find everything on YouTube or ask people, Some you’ll just need to try on your own, like the great ARK pioneers did).i.e. bee queen taming.

As pegos were one of my last tames before I left official servers I remember the frustration and the process needed to tame them.

On 9/6/2018 at 6:25 AM, Firethorn said:

I play on PC

Play on PC doesn’t mean anything except I personally value you more (console peasants).

When Posting on the forum for help please include if you’re on Official or unofficial server, or Single Player mode. Also taming methods are different between PvP and PvE servers, which adds to confusion of young padwans, but its needed to understand which taming mode you’re asking for.

For example:

On 9/7/2018 at 11:39 PM, 62Grains said:

What I ended up doing was building a pen and dropping it in there. Easy peasy. 

This for example is the way to tame a pego if you’re on PvP and SP modes.

Easy mode indeed as playing both those modes is the easier way.(Console peasants come to mind again..: "let’s use god mode! puff pego is tamed! wowo so easy! I’m god! Bend a knee!" (Or better said: no brain no pain!) And in PvP they have carry dinos enabled as well so they don’t need even to cheat its just regular over there.

Since you haven’t specified if you’re playing on Pvp,PvE or SP ,my method might be not suited for you but I’m just sharing as was asked.

The way I did it is by no means the only way to do it.(again goes to beauty of ARK with diversity and can come up with thousand ideas to make one thing)

Since no one here yet offered a viable solution for Official PvE(Where you can’t easy peasy drop dinos or use cheat commands) I shell offer mine.

Before starting you need to grab a few things:

A flying dino is very helpful .I used a Wyvern as it’s mostly un agroed and can carry weight.

Since Pegos are usually found near dangerous dinos having other flyers will work but is risky you’ll lose them while doing the tame.(Rock drakes will work fine as well i guess)

Then you’ll need some foundations (don’t matter which, but in PvE we value our resources so wooden ones will do quite perfectly) and some wooden walls to drop on them.

I took on me like 20 foundations and 20 walls was enough for multipego tame.

Next you’ll need Mejoberries ..a lot of them.(Having a bronto is helpful in that)basically you need stacks of 100 which you’ll constantly replace on your last slot in the action bar.

Have at least 10-30 stacks dependent on the level of the pego you find. (I stuffed my Wyvern with the berries and took out according to the level I got to manage the weight issue)

Next you’ll need to watch out for any valuables you have on your hot bar. The pego can steal any of them and most probably you won’t get them back.(So I only used a rifle and berries in there for the taming process and a spy glass to evaluate the Pego`s level.)

Finally we get to the fun process:

With all of that fly to a Pego location to locate one or more. (I used a spot between redwoods and the volcano, on the shore on the redwoods side, which was fairly clear of danger and used my Wyvern to clear the area)

Next you need to tranq the pego. use minimal tranq method as more tranquilized it will be the longer you’ll need to wait for it to get back up or use stim berries)I just one shot them with shocking dart usually wasn’t that bad.

Then when it’s down you need to place foundations around it to create an enclosure,while it naps.

I bring the Wyvern close so I can hop on it when im done as we are literally going to close ourselfs with the pego in there. (Before closing off I put my Spy glass,tranq weapon and ammo on the Wyvern so I wouldn’t lose them in the process)

Wait for the pego to wake up and equip a 100 Mejo stack on last spot. When it wakes it should start stealing those stacks and tame begins. One of the mechanics of pego taming is that they lose taming percent quickly when you start taming them. Then at some progression part it stops losing tame percent, I have no idea how much I think it’s when you’re at 30% and above maybe)

Keep replacing those 100 stacks on your last hotkey slot. Also keep the closure you built a bit spacey so you can let the pego take a breather, after each stealing, just keeping close to them all the time bugs them out.

That’s the "easy peasy" way in PVE I found.

One last tip is if the pego buggs out sometime, and wont steal from you feel free to punch it.

Unlike other dinos hitting it while taming doesn’t take the taming percent down and re agro it to steal from you.

Good luck!

p.s. if your playing on Officials please keep your server clean and remove the trap when your done.Thanks!

I think Kapro tames are also bugged. Every time I tame a Kapro, as soon as it tames it immediately attacks any times I have in the vicinity. It's gotten to the point where I have to keep them in their own roofed in pen, on Passive. If I put them on Neutral they start leaping all over the base, nipping at my other dinos. They like to leap onto the roof and attack my Argies.

On 9/9/2018 at 9:20 PM, darcek said:

Since Pegos are usually found near dangerous dinos having other flyers will work but is risky you’ll lose them while doing the tame.(Rock drakes will work fine as well i guess)

Good point on specifying stuff, I'm PvE on Official.

I have argents that are high enough level to slaughter everything common.  I haven't lost a bird yet.

Also, you might have missed this, but I already caged the thing when I was trying to tame it.   While I can't just pick it up an haul it to a taming cage, I can definitely aggro it and let it chase me into the cage.

Next you’ll need Mejoberries ..a lot of them.(Having a bronto is helpful in that)basically you need stacks of 100 which you’ll constantly replace on your last slot in the action bar.

Have not only a bronto, but a number of crop plots with Mejo in them.  When I said I entered with an inventory full of berries, I wasn't kidding.

Next you’ll need to watch out for any valuables you have on your hot bar. The pego can steal any of them and most probably you won’t get them back.(So I only used a rifle and berries in there for the taming process and a spy glass to evaluate the Pego`s level.)

Actually, I have found that my hotbar, other than the 0 slot, is perfectly safe.  It's the rest of your inventory that is in danger.  In my case all I had was some people food in my hotbar, everything else was mejo.

Next you need to tranq the pego. use minimal tranq method as more tranquilized it will be the longer you’ll need to wait for it to get back up or use stim berries)I just one shot them with shocking dart usually wasn’t that bad.

You tranq the Pego it does something weird and torpidity is zero with it knocked out, and it rapidly starves to death, without ever waking up.

Then at some progression part it stops losing tame percent, I have no idea how much I think it’s when you’re at 30% and above maybe)

I was never able to reach that point.  No matter what amount of berries I put in my hot bar.  I tried, remember?

The only bit of your advice that seemed to work is the last.  Building the pen extra-large.  Luring them INTO the pen is easy though.

20 hours ago, Firethorn said:

The only bit of your advice that seemed to work is the last.  Building the pen extra-large.  Luring them INTO the pen is easy though.

Thats how I did it and not with a single Pego but had an egg farm (1 male and around 6 females)

Im sorry if it dosent work for you.Like I said which you didnt quote ? :"The way I did it is by no means the only way to do it.(again goes to beauty of ARK with diversity and can come up with thousand ideas to make one thing)"

20 hours ago, Firethorn said:

You tranq the Pego it does something weird and torpidity is zero with it knocked out, and it rapidly starves to death, without ever waking up.

I never had that. As you play online the machine your playing on  and the connection type and the servers current condition(ARK servers have various problems like Lag,crushes etc) can effect results you get.

For example some time I would build walls and nothing happened then i could build on this "Ghost" wall,later on it was apparent because of Servers Lag the wall was build but didnt show up. Thats sound like your weird torpidity bug.

Anyways again theres alot of ways to reach the goal,you just have to find the right one for you.maybe take from my experience what you can and make a new taming method that will suit you. good luck

• 3 months later...

I have tamed a few pego in my time. including a mated pair of 135s. thankfully the % granted is pretty close regardless of level. 

I am still not sure what causes the % to decrease over time. It may well be a proximity issue. 

The most resource efficient way i have discovered to tame them (And this is not my method, i found it somewhere. Possibly youtube.) is to get bola, your berries and 3 storage boxes. Find your target, let it get the first stack of berries while you are bola'ing it. While he is held still, drop a storage box in front of him and one on each side. Then stand behind him with more berries ready. As he steals berries he will continue to try to run into the boxes and be unable to move forward. 

Sometimes the % drops, sometimes it doesnt. So i do not think proximity is the issue, but it could be related. 

EDIT: i also down stack my berries to about 10-15 per stack. if the tame is botched and you have to start over, you have used less berries in the botched attempt

On 12/15/2018 at 2:28 AM, Kristofer said:

When I tamed them I found using foundations in trap seemed to gaug them out. So used fences and worked ok. Also pve can pick up with grapples and also in Argies beak, right click analogue stick on Xbox don't know pc key for it

Why thank you very much.  I knew that primary pickup is disabled in PVE, didn't know that beak carry wasn't.  That said, my traps didn't use full foundations.  The tertiary attack on PC is the "c" key.

Archived