Community Crunch 147: ARK Modding Contest Officially Open!

Jen

Hey Survivors! Welcome to the latest edition of the Community Crunch! :Jerbhi:

Mod Community Updates!

Hello, modders! As many of you noticed, early Saturday morning the ARK Modding Contest became officially open for entries, where you can compete for a grand prize of $15,000! Further, something I didn't really say before is that the contest is planned to occur on a regular schedule, multiple times a year!

ModBanner2.jpg

The application for sponsorship also opened up at the same time. ?

There have been some questions that have arisen from the modding community though, and so I will try to answer here some of the common ones I have received so far.

Can I apply for both sponsorship and enter the contest?

You can! While it is true that we made actively sponsored mod authors ineligible for the contest, these two systems (the contest and sponsorship program) are not in any way linked. You can enter the contest and apply for sponsorship at the same time as long as you are not currently sponsored already, but the results of the contest do not influence or inform the decision of sponsorship. The winner of the contest is not a guarantee of sponsorship or an indication of likelihood. They have different objectives in terms of what they are looking for.

Can we submit our projects every time the contest or sponsorship application period opens?

No, we have set a limit on how many times a calendar year you can enter a project to twice. We want people to give serious consideration to when they will submit for these events and how.

Will we be able to find out what other mods have entered a given contest?

Not until the entry phase has concluded and voting begins, after that point all entries will be made public and their rankings updated hourly on the main contest page.

Can we update our mods after entering them into the contest?

Yes, you can! We understand that sometimes things sneak by; however, once a Wildcard evaluation has been made it probably won't be re-evaluated based on a new update to the mod. It is best to make sure that your mod is as clean as possible before the voting phase begins.

Those are the most common questions I have been receiving. If you have any others feel free to ask me, most of you know how to contact me on discord or twitter, you can also send questions to ModProgram@studiowildcard.com

I also know that a number of you have been waiting to hear about tutorial bounty claims. Now that I am back from PAX I will be getting to those this week.

Good luck fellow modders and I hope that we can all keep an environment of good sportsmanship for these contests!

Community Livestream #7 Roundup!

On August 30th we had our seventh Community Livestream. Thank you to all of those who attended and participated! The community team had a lot of fun and we hope you did as well. If you weren't able to catch the stream you can watch the video-on-demand on our Twitch page or by clicking on the video below.

The stream started off with our special guest GG Fizz who is a returning guest. We also has a special WC guest joining us for the first time, Seggzy, who does QA here at Studio Wildcard. Unfortunately due to some technical issues our building contest ended up a little one sided, with Jen and Fizz on one time and Zen left to build on his own. The competition required each team to build a cliff platform base that included an area for a Rock Drake, a zip line, and a bed. The winner was then decided by the chat. There may have also been an addition special guest, though an unintentional one at that.

Zen Rowe then took us on a journey around the modded map Amissa. The map was created by Sicco0803 and is a fantasy styled map with beautiful terrain and several cities dotting the landscape. If that sounds liken something you'd be interested in definitely check it out on the Steam Workshop!

3DFAA83A8F093C3B6ADB1DC5E7DC5DC8B6884C04

Things wrapped up on stream with showcasing your fan submissions and talking about the ARK Modding Contest in further detail, which is open now for submissions! 

1743917488_submit_fan_creation(1).jpg

We are accepting any type of ARK related fanart to be featured in the Showcase section of the stream and entries are always open. This can be drawings, videos, builds, ANSEL screenshots, handmade crafts, anything ARK related!

You can submit your ARKwork to our streaming email address: arkfans@studiowildcard.com

Be sure to follow us on our Twitch page so you don't miss a stream! twitch.tv/survivetheark

We'll be hosting our next Community Live Stream on Thursday, September the 13th at 1PM EST! We hope to see you there :)

The Great Migration #4: Inactive Legacy Server Removal

large.594ef828430a1_F1r3fly-MigratingtoR

Once again it is time to remove some of our lower population legacy ARK servers on Xbox and PS4 from our Official legacy network. Over time the ARK population has migrated from legacy to non-legacy and in its wake left many servers with low populations for 0-1 players in a significant amount of cases. 

Here is a quick breakdown on how this process works:

Taking Down Low Pop Servers
With calculations based on sustained player-count as well as the popularity of game mode, we will be removing lower population legacy servers, most of which retain a 0-1 player concurrent population. These servers will be taken offline on September 24th. Any existing server that is not considered a low pop server and is not taken down at this time will still exist on the Legacy network.

Legacy servers will continue to remain on a separate cluster from the new cluster, which means you will not be able to transfer anything between Legacy servers and the new servers.

Servers Up for Deprecation
Below is a complete list of the LEGACY servers that will be deprecated come September 24th. You have from now until then to move your belongings onto a server not present on this list. Please click one of the links below. They are separated by platform.

How To Move Servers
If you are unfamiliar with the process, you are able to upload your items, creatures, and player through the Obelisk terminal, supply drops, as well as the Tek Transmitter. Survivors are advised to use Cross-ARK immediately to relocate their belongings onto a server that is not included in our take-down list above.

Server Saves of Deleted Servers
We will make the save files available as soon as we can. We will host the PC files which anyone can download and then you are welcome to re-host the save file for your own use. We'll include a link to where you can download server saves in this post when they are available. Nitrado will also be able to provide the saves for use on Nitrado servers for console, as they have done in the past.

You can see a list of our currently available depreciated official servers on this webpage: https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/server-backups/

Fanart of the Week!

68bp8z1lo9j11.jpg

We would like to give a special shoutout this week to artist Mysterious Mandrill  for their hilarious ARK comic!

ARK: Evolution Event!

large.large.EvoEvent.png.eeb58694dd9d4cb

Survivors across ALL Platforms will be receiving a special Evolution Event perk this weekend! It will be active from Friday the 7th of September at 1 PM EST until Monday the 10th of September at 3 PM EST. All Official Servers across each platform will be undergoing this evolutionary change which includes:

2x Harvesting Rates
2x Taming Rates
2x EXP Rates

That's it for this post guys! As always if you’ve got anything to share you can find us at:

Twitter: twitter.com/survivetheark
Facebook: facebook.com/survivetheark
Reddit: reddit.com/r/playark
Instagram: instagram.com/survivetheark
Twitch: twitch.tv/survivetheark
Steam: steamcommunity.com/app/346110
Youtube: youtube.com/survivetheark

All the best,
Studio Wildcard

View full article

I don't mean to be overly critical, but when these crunches are supposed to be giving us current news with the game, recapping livestreams and announcing modding contests is not my idea, or many other people's idea for that matter, of news. Extinction is still 2 months away and there's still barely any news on that. The last Digest Q&A didn't really answer any real questions that couldn't be answered by literally anyone. And what is the deal with this Atlas? Is it some new game or a DLC for Ark or a total conversion? There have been no details regarding that and no one has any real details on it. Why isn't anyone answering any serious questions? Why can't we get real answers to real questions? Not all the incessant questions about S+ and all that stuff, but details on the final DLC we've been waiting for literally months and other things that actually matter.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nch1418 said:

I don't mean to be overly critical, but when these crunches are supposed to be giving us current news with the game, recapping livestreams and announcing modding contests is not my idea, or many other people's idea for that matter, of news. Extinction is still 2 months away and there's still barely any news on that. The last Digest Q&A didn't really answer any real questions that couldn't be answered by literally anyone. And what is the deal with this Atlas? Is it some new game or a DLC for Ark or a total conversion? There have been no details regarding that and no one has any real details on it. Why isn't anyone answering any serious questions? Why can't we get real answers to real questions? Not all the incessant questions about S+ and all that stuff, but details on the final DLC we've been waiting for literally months and other things that actually matter.

I agree!

But for me it's ONLY two months away and we haven't seen any ingame stuff (except for a very short demo (was probably rendered not actually ingame)).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nch1418 said:

47 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

I agree!

But for me it's ONLY two months away and we haven't seen any ingame stuff (except for a very short demo (was probably rendered not actually ingame)).

Lets not kid ourselves, the ai for the rex was impossible for wc to pull of, def not real footage.  And if anyone actually believes extinction is coming in 2018 they need slapped lol.  We know by now every single big update, especially map/dlc gets a month plus setback.  Rag and aberration prove that.  Extinction will likely b in January, mayb February lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nch1418 said:

maybe because its top secret behind closed doors so that the wanderers will try to pry it open to find out its secrets only to be blasted by the overseer and its minions perhaps i mean details would be nice and its werid things haven't been revealed much or said but on the other hand atleast we are left in the dark to wonder what the heck is going on these arks and what dangers and cool stuff will be exposed in time from them i am very excited and curious at the same time......

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nch1418 said:

Here here!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

And if anyone actually believes extinction is coming in 2018 they need slapped lol.  We know by now every single big update, especially map/dlc gets a month plus setback.  Rag and aberration prove that.  Extinction will likely b in January, mayb February lol

While Abberation was delayed, it was no longer delayed after they officially announced an actual specific release date (instead of just a rough estimate). Extinction got an actual release day, Nov 6th, so I'm still somewhat positive about that.

Edited by nevcairiel

9 hours ago, Onimusha759 said:

Lets not kid ourselves, the ai for the rex was impossible for wc to pull of, def not real footage.  And if anyone actually believes extinction is coming in 2018 they need slapped lol.  We know by now every single big update, especially map/dlc gets a month plus setback.  Rag and aberration prove that.  Extinction will likely b in January, mayb February lol

I can still hope.

Seriously though, there's no way WC won't have Extinction out by christmas. No way at all that they're going to miss out on those sales. WW3 could break out and they'd still have Extinction out in time.

The biggest delay we can get is less than 2 months.

14 hours ago, Nch1418 said:

I am pretty much on the same page. Why don't they do weekly digests that actually answer some serious questions? The last one didn't tell us anything we didn't know already and Wildcard is keeping it a little too short on the news department...

• Thanks 1