Can someone help me?

corbor44

What is wrong with the beaches in this game? Earlier today I started a new game with an old character and I ran into a problem. As I collected resources I saw that there was a high-levelled alpha raptor just walking around, then it later killed my attacked my Parasaur. I thought that I could kill it with my spear while its distracted but it killed my dino and targeted me. Once I returned to get my stuff, I managed to avoid the raptor and build a house. From then, it was a loop of going out to collect resources, then getting killed by a raptor. Or in some rare cases, carnos. (I never left the beach)

Can someone tell me what's going on? Why are such high levelled dinos appearing directly in a noob spawn area? (I know that this game is very clunky and poorly made but maybe there's something else to this, or maybe someone can give me advice.) I've seen many people say that a few hits from a spear kill them, and that's just not true. I've tried it on a level five and 10 hits did nothing. These dinos are way beyond at least level 40.

1 minute ago, corbor44 said:

well theres difficulty and then theres defenselessness. how am i supposed to defend against an almost end-game enemy with the worst weapon?

If you're calling any level Raptor or Carno an end-game creature then you are far from knowledgeable enough to comment on it at all.

There is no such thing as defencelessness in this game unless you play PvP. Avoid it, kite it, bait it, bola it or use a ranged weapon.

Starting out in this game is the most fun part because of scenarios like this. Embrace it.

4 minutes ago, Jacira said:

If you're calling any level Raptor or Carno an end-game creature then you are far from knowledgeable enough to comment on it at all.

There is no such thing as defencelessness in this game unless you play PvP. Avoid it, kite it, bait it, bola it or use a ranged weapon.

Starting out in this game is the most fun part because of scenarios like this. Embrace it.

embrace getting killed within an instant with no way of avoiding it? okay

24 minutes ago, corbor44 said:

embrace getting killed within an instant with no way of avoiding it? okay

That's the best thing about dying in this game, you get to choose where you respawn. If you're so early on you shouldn't have any strong attachments to a particular area. Move around, learn the map. Make little outposts. Explore and survive.

If you can't avoid one alpha raptor then this game probably isn't for you.

If you want life to be EASY, then don't play this game! It's the whole fun of it. I've had miserable times - alphas waiting outside my base, packs of raptors on the beach to res-kill me, but then I stuck with it and beat alpha rockwell. Just get used to the game and it won't be an issue. Also just because YOU can't survive doesn't make this a poorly made game.

And spears don't work on alpha raptors so that's your own fault. Simply not within their uses and honestly it's literally called an ALPHA raptor.

And the first lesson newbies learn is that paras die. A LOT. Also carnos are in no way end-game, have a look around the radioactive zone of AB and try to say it then.

Regardless as to whether or not you want to believe it, the difficulty advertised for certain areas relates more to the types of animals that spawn in a location and, more importantly, resources. The southern beaches are 'easy' because your common threats are Dilos, Raptors, and Carnos with a few smaller threats scattered here and there. Spinos are present, of course, but usually a little more upriver and relatively easy to avoid. The beaches are rich in basic beginner building materials, though, and that's why they're labeled as easy. Level has absolutely nothing to do with it as the spawns are otherwise random. Don't be one of those guys who spawns in one of the south zones, gets killed by a level 135 raptor, and then throws his arms up complaining that '135 is too high a level for a new player!' - it's just the luck of the draw.

Unfortunately, so are Alphas. Every spawn point for a dinosaur that has an Alpha version has a very small chance of spawning an Alpha instead of the regular version. This means they can occur literally anywhere you can find that dinosaur generally. Yes, this means if you can encounter Raptors on the beach, then you can encounter an Alpha raptor on the beach. This is just the way the game is designed. This isn't an RPG where animals scale up in level as you progress to the 'hard' areas. There are a lot of randomized elements to this game and, unfortunately, they can make things quite difficult for a newcomer, but there's one thing that's going to prove an even bigger hindrance if you don't address it early. Do you know what that is?

Your attitude.

You took the first step and asked for help, so good for you. That shows some sign of self-awareness and introspection, but then you meet every remark with snark and attitude. It comes off as if you expect us to drop some magical secret that will make this game easy-mode for you, and unfortunately, that just isn't the case so you lash out. It's not going to get you far in this game. Yes, I admit, the general attitude of those responding to you have been pretty rude and bitter, too, but they're also not the ones struggling, and you are, so let's focus on that first.

If you keep yelling 'this is unfair' when something like this happens, then the game is not going to treat you well down the road. We all become a victim of bad luck at some point, and I imagine nearly all of us have a similar 'starting out' story to yours when it comes to this game. It's a sort of rite of passage. Those of us who adapted are still playing to this day and mostly enjoying it. If you drop the attitude that things will twist and mold to your will then this game can have some really great things in store for you, but I assure you, it's going to get harder than Raptors and Carnos when you reach the real end-game and start dealing with some truly scary, difficult animals.

As far as tips and advice goes, that depends on where you're playing. Are you on a personal server/singleplayer or are you on a server with other people? Regardless, try cutting your losses and finding a new location to start off fresh. One of my favorite memories of early Ark was when I was being absolutely bullied by a wild Carno and after hours of frustration and failed attempts at kiting it away, I started a new, fresh base from scratch. Things went a lot smoother and it was actually kind of interesting when I finally found myself back in that location looking over my old, horrible first base and seeing how much I've learned in such a short amount of time. Plus, getting to kill that Carno was nice, too.

Alternatively, you can ask for help if you're on a shared server with other people but be careful about this as you're exposing yourself to potential griefers. That, and frankly you seem to have the kind of personality that people loathe in this game. The whiner, the potential mooch, etc. Try to ask for help seldom because I feel you'll make enemies in the end and then an Alpha Raptor will be the least of your worries.

If you're on your server and/or single-player, just bring down the difficulty level. Dinosaurs will scale up to lower levels and while you'll still encounter the same dangerous creatures, their levels will at least make them a little more manageable. Then, as you get more comfortable, familiar, and 'gud', you can start to scale it back up.

Or, you know, just play something else.

1 hour ago, zeroBurnAcidCool said:

Embrace it, EMBRACE the succ!

In all seriousness though, the pounce made it more difficult you used to attempt to fight the alpha raptor mano e mano, I've played with a few, felt like Arnold in predator, with his battle war cry.    Good times waaayy back then.

Good luck!

The alpha raptor doesn't pounce, does it? If it does, I've been extremely lucky killing them with an argy without getting wrecked.

38 minutes ago, Baklap said:

No, the alpha raptor does not pounce.

Did they remove that? where it lands on you and you pretty much just die cause you can't escape it?(what i mean by the pounce) I had it happen to me the other day would be great to hear it removed cause if you can't counter it, then you don't want to run into them. 

ah the memory's of my first encounter with a Alpha raptor.   I too came to this forum looking for answers but got the same "get gud" responses. Not all that helpful . But slowly slowly I learned  not to try to kill them unless I had a cross bow lots of ammo and  The Alpha was  fixated on a kill.  Now I have a gun. Not a reliable gun but a gun. Still go for the crossbow for most kills. 

Hiding at night became  my strategy at to survive the night.  Craft lots of arrows and back up bows.  Don't get over loaded  Put down boxes  and leave extra stuff here and there.

I play single player and  with only my family.  so your mileage may very on official servers. Good luck survivor. and don't let the dinos  get ya.

1 hour ago, zeroBurnAcidCool said:

Did they remove that? where it lands on you and you pretty much just die cause you can't escape it?(what i mean by the pounce) I had it happen to me the other day would be great to hear it removed cause if you can't counter it, then you don't want to run into them. 

I dont think the Alpha raptor ever did that? Normal raptors do, but not the alpha.

Water is your best friend...

Raptors suck. Alpha raptors suck even more. While they spawn a hell of a lot more frequently than in previous days, there’s one thing you can do to preserve your life. Just jump in to the water~ They’ll eventually swim back to shore and mosey on like they do.

Do it with any threat, really. If bolas and spears went in your life, always aim for the water ?

21 hours ago, corbor44 said:

What is wrong with the beaches in this game?

Ark does not have a tutorial stage to teach you the gameplay. The key to this game is learning from your mistakes. If you can't do that, your best bet is to read tutorials on the internet. Everyone on this forum has been through the same exact stage you're at and made it through. Beach survival takes some on-the-job training if you're new to the game. 

None of that has anything to do with the game being clunky or poorly designed, it has to do with the fact that you're not good at it. That's to be expected....you're new. Give it some time and you'll be able to run down the beach buck neked with a primitive bow and stone arrows and not be worried about a thing.

Sounds like the same threats we all have starting out fresh. Your going to die alot and lose tames, gear etc.  The best thing to do is keep your head up and just learn from mistakes.

Once you learn the games wildlife and what their aggro ranges are and what will make other normally peaceful dinos chew your face off you will look back with some fondness of those early days.

And pump movment speed when starting out. You will be laughing as you outrun raptors and carnos.

5 hours ago, DarkEliteH2 said:

Water is your best friend...

Raptors suck. Alpha raptors suck even more. While they spawn a hell of a lot more frequently than in previous days, there’s one thing you can do to preserve your life. Just jump in to the water~ They’ll eventually swim back to shore and mosey on like they do.

Do it with any threat, really. If bolas and spears went in your life, always aim for the water ?

This is especially effective when trying to avoid the Baryonyx. They hate the water! ?

Archived