noob question about knocking out dinos

marinelisk

2 minutes ago, marinelisk said:

I just started out on ark, and I'm wondering, if i hv a large dino stuck in a large bear trap, is it more effective interms of knock out speed by using tranq arrows to the head or to use the wooden club?

Tranq arrows. You dont want to headshot always on some dinos, causes too much damage. Look up on wiki about the exact values per damage spent for the different torpor items, clubs, tranq arrow, tranq dart etc and you will have a better idea :) 

9 hours ago, Baklap said:

Take a look at the dododex website, its really helpfull.

This ^^.

If you don't have friends to help you understand taming you should start by watching a couple of the youtube videos that are intended for new players.

Then, get into the habit of using Dododex any time you want to tame something (they also have a mobile app for your phone or tables that is pretty great). I've been playing since Early Access and I still use for almost every animal I tame. It will tell you the best way to tame the animal, whether you should use a crossbow or a gun, or how to tame them if they use some other taming method, how much food you need to use, how long it will take, etc. Dododex will give you all of the information you need to know on a single, convenient screen, its make taming so much better.

I agree with Baklap and Pipinghot, if you want to understand and become efficient at taming, the Dododex app is a must. Another app you could use is SA Companion.

An advanced feature on both apps is to input the weapon your using. As Pipinghot mentioned above it says how many tranq arrows or darts you'll need but this is for 100% weapon damage. If your using say a mastercraft crossbow with 220% damage it will be considerably less arrows. Inputting your weapon on the app is an awesome feature that I didn't use at the start but wish I had.

Also with taming, a magnifying glass is extremely helpful. You need to get close to look at its torpor with LT while it's equipped. This can be dangerous but as a rule of thumb when dinos are about to go down they'll flee, at this point they're safe to approach and have a quick look at their torpor.

My last bit of advice would be to trap anything you want to tame. It makes the whole process easier. If you manage to find and tranq something 150 and start taming it, if it's hit by anything you loose efficiency/extra levels. Most 150 perfect tames will be either 221 or 224 on x2 when they stand up. If the Dino takes any damage while it's asleep the extra levels drop fast.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Dododex, as others have said, is a great tool to use for taming anything. I have the phone app and use it for every tame. It's amazing. 

I also agree about using traps, they help a lot. A side note.. if anything does get hit, you can always let it wake up and then knock it out again and that will reset the tame. You may need to wait a bit and let it heal before making another attempt. On carnivores, you can feed yourself to them to heal them faster (just make sure to put your stuff in a box first). 

Generally speaking*: Slingshot/Club -> Tranq arrows -> Tranq darts -> Shocking darts

*Some things are more effective/efficient to do arrows instead of darts or vice versa.

I think it's more effective the better your crossbow. I don't have a lot of experience with shocking tranquilizers, but I have used the mastercraft and ascendant crossbows and they work very nicely regarding effectiveness, at knocking out the dino. 

The bear trap doesn't seem to last for very long. 

Actually had a low lvl rex spawn on a 1x1 base of mine - stuck, and couldn't move anywhere. I didn't have anything except wood so I made 4 clubs and went to work. Eventually knocked him out. 

Archived