PGmap Guide For Hosting Xbox Dedicated Server Through Nitrado

I put this together at nitrado's request, and also in hopes that wildcard would take interest in supporting/developing the PG feature.
Everything detailed here can be found at http://fumblerok.com/admin-tools/pgmap/

The images and copy/paste .ini content are there as well as an iframe of the spreadsheet helper and link to the absolute location

Instructions for Nitrado hosted servers

It is suggested you try out your PG map parameters through your xbox interface first, so that you may do a number of generations and find the exact settings you would like to use. When you are ready to roll it out on the dedicated server hosted by Nitrado, follow these steps each time:

1. Shut down
2. Reinstall game
3. Shut down
4. Select expert mode in settings and select save
5. Change to dynamic map, alter command line settings, save.
6. Add the PGmap settings into the game.ini file as well as the Game user settings like so, and save both.

• In game .ini:

PGMapName=PGMap
PGTerrainPropertiesString=

• In GameUserSettings.ini add this to the bottom of the page:

[/Game/PrimalEarth/CoreBlueprints/TestGameMode.TestGameMode_C]
PGMapName=PGMap
PGTerrainPropertiesString=

7. Restart server, let run for 20 minutes.
8. Shut down server after confirming it has executed successfully by joining the server.
9. Alter GameUserSettings.ini and Game.ini and save
10. Change cluster settings to add into cluster.
11. Restart server

PG Map String Helper

Settings Explain (to my limited understanding)

MapSeed:

Not entirely sure but i believe these settings have some sort of play with the map seed value, either as variables for an equation it runs, or as effected output by the equation run that uses the map seed value.

• Grasslands grass density
  • Landscape radius
  • Deep water biome depth
  • Deposition strength
  • Jungle grass density
  • Erosion steps
  • Jungle tree density
  • Mountain frequency

LandscapeRadius:
Determines the overall length of the diameter, of the entire contained land mass. Values over 1 are fine, up to 3.5 in some cases have no adverse effect.

Water Frequency:
This will determine how much your land mass is broken apart by water ways. At low values it only makes lakes or smaller, at values over 5, it will create water ways or islands. I’m not sure that it works with mountain frequency, as it appears to work previous to the factoring of mountain frequencey, as it explained in that section.

13-300x169.jpg

figure m.2

35-300x169.jpg

figure m.1

Mountains Frequency:
Probably the most interesting setting. I believe it means frequency in the statistical practice, not in waveform. So the frequencey of land altitude deviation as applied to the land and shore terrain, which can run under water down to the ocean floor. So if you set frequency to 0, and the equation must normalize to that figure, then you end up with land that is forced to the maximum altitude, since it cannot deviate altitude but must achieve the desired max land height (figure m.1). When your shore slope and offset are adjusted to gentle the incline, you end up with a coned land effect (figure M.2). Also, I believe mountain frequency is factored after water frequency, not with it. This is because you can see the pattern frequency on a land mass basis, meaning one big island wll have lets say six high points, and if you have a map of 4-5 islands, that same setting seems to apply the same six high points, on each indivual island.

Mountains Slope:
Determines the steepness of the incline for land mountain frequency. Higher is smoother, the source files suggest a maximum value of 2.4 and a minimum of 0.7

MountainsHeight:
Determines the max altitude of the moutains created with frequency and slope.

29-300x169.jpg

figure tp.1

Turbulence Power:
The script says “land go up here, then a distance, then so far down.” Turbulence power says ” Gonna bump you hard going up, andinterupt your distance at some point and randoomly make you go down even harder.” It’s best to not deviate far from the default with this, and lower seems to be fine altogether for map playability at least (figure tp.1).

34-300x169.jpg

figure s.1

Shore Slope:
This determines the slope of the land that is under water, right at the beach, going down to the ocean floor (figure s.1).

27-300x174.jpg

figure b.1

WaterLevel:
This can be altered with some degree of play, ive gone to -0.53 fine before. It can help you make larger beach mass (figure b.1)

ShoreLineEnd:
This is the altitube at which the beach biome will stop I believe.

GrassDensity:
This is the grass density for the grasslands biome only.

JungleGrassDensity:
The density of harvestable objects (rocks and berry plants) in the jungle biome

OceanFloorLevel:
I would leave this at the default value, it shifts everything.

SnowBiomeSize:
I like to decrease this. 0.15 = 15% of the landscape

RWBiomeSize:
I like to increase this. 0.15 = 15% of the landscape

MountainBiomeStart:
This is a really cool setting. Say you want metal to spawn by the beach, you set this to -0.75 and jungle start at -0.85 and you get metal and obsidian everywhere.

31-300x169.jpg

figure t.1

MountainsTreeDensity:
This is misleading keep it at about 0.01, to high of a value will cause unharvestable, build unfriendly massive rocks to litter the landscape in the mountains (figure t.1)

JungleBiomeStart:
Works in tandem with the mountain biomes start to determine the altitude range for the jungle biome.

IslandBorderCurveExp:
The value for the exponent in an algorithm that determines the general land curavture as its permiter is being defined.

MaxSawnPointHeight:
0.1 will make sure that your players alwsy spawn on or near the beach.

SnowBiomeLocation:
The coordinates for the center of the snow biome, will always form a perfect circle.

RWForestBiomeLocation:
The coordinates for the center of the redwoods biome, will always form a perfect circle.

33-300x169.jpg

figure ts.1

TerrainScaleMultiplier:
This can stretch and distort the landscape, not recommended (figure ts.1)

MountainGrassDensity:
The density of harvestable objects (rocks and berry plants) in the mountains biomes, (redwoods, snow, normal)

SnowMountainGrassDensity:
The density of harvestable objects (rocks and berry plants) in the mountainous snow biome (can also be effected by the mountain density settings)

SnowGrassDensity:
The density of harvestable objects (rocks and berry plants) in the Non mountainous snow biomes

UnderwaterObjectsDensity:
This is cool to turn up for a more labyrinth style underwater world with cool half caves and crevasses. The only issue is you can’t seem to build on or near them.

SnowMountainsTreeDensity:
The density of trees in the snow biome.

TreeDensity:
This is grasslands tree density only

JungleTreeDensity:
The density of trees in the jungle biome.

RedWoodTreeDensity:
The density of trees harvestable and not harvestable in the redwoods biome (can be effected by mountain density settings as well)

SnowTreeDensity:
The density of trees in the snow biome.

RedwoodGrassDensity:
The density of harvestable objects (rocks and berry plants) in the redwoods biome (can be effected by mountain density settings as well)

ShoreTreeDensity:
The density of trees on the beach.

SnowShoreTreeDensity:
The density of trees in the snow shore biome.

DeepWaterBiomesDepth:
Making this more shallow will cause the underwater objects to jut through the water surface sporadically, but will also bring more oil nopdes and mosa/squid spawns.

InlandWaterObjectsDensity:
Determines the density of shallow water harvestable objects I believe.

ShorelineStartOffset:
Not completely clear to me yet.

ShorelineThickness:
Determines the breadth of the beach.

TreesGroundSlopeAccuracy:
The smaller the value, the more trees there will be, cause they will be able to form on steeper land incline. This sounds cool and works for filling out your jungle biome with lush vegetation, but be wary for what it does to the giant redwoods trees, they will have overhang.

ErosionSteps:
The best range for this is 4-5, 6 has been fine in csome cases as well.

ErosionStrength:
Going a little higher can smoothe the land a bit, I’d suggest staying between 0.5 and 0.75

30-300x151.jpg

figure d.1

DepositionStrength:
This setting can royally mess up your ground and make it untraversable. Do not use the default 0.5 or even close to it, stick with 0.01 to 0.04 (figure d.1).

MountainGeneralTreesPercent:
This is the density setting to use to determine the tree densityt in mountains, but remember it effects snow and redwoods as well.

Archived