This giga bugged or...?

Ghost121

Hey guys I'm brand new to the forums so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. 

I'm pretty new to the game as well. Been playing the game a while now though and am at level 87. (I mostly host a non-dedicated server and play with 1 or 2 friends. 

I'm just curious if these things are just THAT powerful, or if maybe this one was bugged, or if there was something else going on I'm unaware of. Thanks in advance.

Yesterday a buddy and I stumbled upon our first giga, pure white, (idk if color matters or affects anything) and level 35 (which to my understanding is a pretty low level) while mining metal with 5 or 6 large, low-ish level dinos, for transportation. By the time I saw it it was to late. Wiped us all. Which is fine. I totally get that. Fair play. 

However. After swooping in and nabbing our inventories. We decided to try and tame it, (lol) not realizing how big of a task that was. I did some research and found out just futile the effort was. Anyways. We exhausted all our tranq arrows and decided to give up. We then realized we had, without meaning to, led this thing very, very close to our main base. We have 30-40 low level dinos there. Including our 1 and only rex that we managed to trap and tame. So, (shame on us) we decided to cheat, not wanting to lose what was essentially all of the progress we'd made so far. I logged off, went into single player and enabled creative mode. Crafted a rocket launcher and a bunch of homing missiles. I then proceeded to spend 20-25 minutes pumping rockets into this thing practically non stop. Never even appeared to get bloody. I have damage counts on. And was hitting it for tons of damage. But never seemed to make progress. 

On top of that, this thing managed to kill me twice. Even in creative mode when I got too close to it. 

Then suddenly the thing just up and vanished while I was in my inventory making another rpg. Idk if it despawned or if I just somehow lost track of the thing. 

So are they just so strong they can eat hundreds of homing missiles? Was this one bugged? Or was the fact that I was in creative mode somehow affecting it?

Would really appreciate the input from you guys. Like I said I'm pretty new to the game. And still dont know all the ins and outs. 

Thanks!

Edit: also I play on ps4. If that matters.

Awesome story! So yeah it's actually easier to knock them out, the amount of health on a wild giga is insane when compared to other Dino's in general, esp tamed ones on official health settings.

And yeah it probably despawned, that has happened multiple times to us, on our unofficial server that was PS4 hosted anyway, haven't had it happen yet on nitrado.

Side note despawning dinos never used to happen to us, we used to be able to put a dino in a taming pen and it would stay there until we did something to it, nowadays if you leave render range for more than 10mins it will almost certainly be despawned anyone else noticed that?

Never had a dino (as side from quetz) de-spawn on me, and i take dino's across the map for taming, while i then proceed to fly away to the other side of the map again to find more.

The best way to deal with Wild Giga's, is to use a flyer (best to have one you can shoot from to get agro) and pull them into the ocean, they drown really quickly if you can kill the sharks that will most likely attack it. Unless you have a decent level tamed giga, or a good set of boss fighting rexes, i would not recommend trying to take one on (and even those arent entirely without risk either).

1 hour ago, lordbufu said:

Never had a dino (as side from quetz) de-spawn on me, and i take dino's across the map for taming, while i then proceed to fly away to the other side of the map again to find more.

The best way to deal with Wild Giga's, is to use a flyer (best to have one you can shoot from to get agro) and pull them into the ocean, they drown really quickly if you can kill the sharks that will most likely attack it. Unless you have a decent level tamed giga, or a good set of boss fighting rexes, i would not recommend trying to take one on (and even those arent entirely without risk either).

I wouldn't recommend using a tamed giga or boss rexes they'll probably die to a wild giga, but drowning is a very good way to kill them

40 minutes ago, lokifeyson said:

Giga despawns literally in front of us

Whoo, that is wierd, i had a 150 quetz despawn on rag once but not while being that close to it always out of render distance, but never had this issue on the island.

4 minutes ago, WiredEvilEye said:

I wouldn't recommend using a tamed giga or boss rexes they'll probably die to a wild giga, but drowning is a very good way to kill them

It works if you have a high level giga, you don't want to be riding it though, and yes as i said its not entirely with out risk but very possible even with good boss rexes.

4 minutes ago, lordbufu said:

It works if you have a high level giga, you don't want to be riding it though, and yes as i said its not entirely with out risk but very possible even if good boss rexes.

Yeah probably will lose some of the rexes if it's official stats, but I guess it depends on saddles and how many rexes you throw at it

25 minutes ago, WiredEvilEye said:

Yeah probably will lose some of the rexes if it's official stats, but I guess it depends on saddles and how many rexes you throw at it

Nope you wont have to lose any, dont forget the dragon boss is a lot harder, and you can do Gamma on official stats without losses if you know what your doing.

Saddles do make a great impact, but if you have 16 to 18 boss rexes bred up, its very likely your going to have high level saddles laying around anyway :)

Yes, wild gigas are stronger than tamed ones. If you manage to tame one check out it's stats pre tame and compare them to post tame; it's a huge difference. They can also one shot you if you aren't wearing decent armor.

It isn't uncommon to use 100+ tranq darts knocking one out.

As for the rockets, I'm not sure. I do know that wild gigas have lots of health and that rockets deal 1400 damage a hit. If a wild gigas has around 80k base health then I can see needing 70+ rockets to kill one.

8 hours ago, lordbufu said:

Nope you wont have to lose any, dont forget the dragon boss is a lot harder, and you can do Gamma on official stats without losses if you know what your doing.

Saddles do make a great impact, but if you have 16 to 18 boss rexes bred up, its very likely your going to have high level saddles laying around anyway :)

Even if you have that it's easier and much safer to drown it

Archived