What makes a good event?

Guest DJRone89

Guest DJRone89

Officially and historically speaking, I’ve experienced (in order) Fear Evolved 2, Turkey Trial 2, Winter Wonderland 2, Valentine’s Day 2, and Eggcellent Adventure 2.

The old events were much better and I’m sure many of you agree, but what made them special in your eyes?

Turkey Trials 2 was a nightmare IMO but brilliant. We lost so much to those turkeys. Mini Giga’s on steroids - only realised they took increased gun damage months after :P

Don’t get me wrong, the post release events haven’t been bad just not on the same scale of the first half of EW. Seeing coloured dinos in the wild certainly dictates your next tames.

Unofficially speaking, I haven’t delved much into the event scene because it requires a lot of effort. I’ve only hosted boss battles to allow everyone the opportunity to unlock tek.

What are your thoughts and experiences with events of the old, new, and any unofficials?

I loved Fear Evolved because it was something new at the time, after the Dodorex became a summon it was less interesting to me personally and eventually the achievement for it was removed as well, that kinda felt like a slap in the face for having solo killed it somewhat legit.

I missed most of the other events mentioned, had to take a brake during EA to prevent a massive burnout, and dint comeback until right before the aberration release :P

I don't expect anything of the same scale now, since the first events where more of test run for them to see how to deal with seasonal events, i'm actually quite stunned by the fact that there isn't something more structured implemented that simply auto runs during certain dates.

For me its down to bringing a server community together. My favourite event ever has to have been the Fear Evolved 2, the whole server getting together to find and hunt down the dodorex was amazing. I really do miss the old EA events but am really enjoying the new events as well. Gutted and disapointed that we are not getting a halloween event thia year, would love to see the dodorex on the rampage again.

For what doesnt make a  good event (probably an unpopular opinion) although I dont play official anymore so I dont really care but speaking from experience.  Am going to say it here, I never did like the  evolution events when its a regular thing. Things like this should not be the norm but a special event. When its as regular as it is it basically takes the point away from playing during a week and basically begs the question why the event rates arnt just the base rates. But thats just my two cents.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually having an event for starters. So dissapointed no halloween event this year. Fear Evolved 2 was the best. They already have the stuff made from previous events so I don't see why its so much trouble to do. They say they don't have enough time to do it with Exintion and bug fixes but somehow managed to to events while in early access and did PAID DLC during EA and we are still waiting for dozens of bug fixes from years ago so at least give us something.

On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 12:29 AM, AngrySaltire said:

For me its down to bringing a server community together. My favourite event ever has to have been the Fear Evolved 2, the whole server getting together to find and hunt down the dodorex was amazing. I really do miss the old EA events but am really enjoying the new events as well. Gutted and disapointed that we are not getting a halloween event thia year, would love to see the dodorex on the rampage again.

For what doesnt make a  good event (probably an unpopular opinion) although I dont play official anymore so I dont really care but speaking from experience.  Am going to say it here, I never did like the  evolution events when its a regular thing. Things like this should not be the norm but a special event. When its as regular as it is it basically takes the point away from playing during a week and basically begs the question why the event rates arnt just the base rates. But thats just my two cents.

Thats actually what exactly happened prior to release. People loved the events so much that they a) made them every weekend then also b) doubled the rates on official servers! 

I think the evolution events were the start of the downfall of official. Back when they had 2x harvest events on holidays only (long before maturation events) they were something extra to look forward to. You would raise on these events because 2x meat, farm ingots etc. Then we had a whole bunch of entitled people cry "but i cant play on weekends!!" Then they made it 2x perm.

You can blame the first real Valentines day event (i believe the 1st console version didnt have 2x maturation, only chocolate boxes) for the tame cap on PVE servers. Then after that they kept releasing 2x maturation often because of the *same* people who cried about not being able to participate

Edit: Didnt actually answer the question.. I prefer the game mechanic changing events, such as the Vday chocolates, Fear Evo and I wish we got Winter Wonderland on Console. ( Wouldve been a perfect time to RP a crazed Stark.. "I TOLD YOU!!")

Archived