New player getting stomped on small tribes (not a rant, asking for advice)

BremFM

Hello there! This is my first post here so excuse me if it's not in the wrong subforum (I figured this was the place but hey, everyone makes mistakes).

I bought ARK last week, and am in love with it so far. I've been getting constantly raided, but I'm learning from it every time. I usually play with a friend of mine. I'm playing on a small tribes server. The past two days we've been grinding hard: we had a poopty hidden base, where we were preparing for an instant build out. Yesterday when I went to bed, we had made all the props made to build a 4x4x3 metal base with 3 floors and an air lock. We also had 2.1k iron set aside to craft turrets (we couldn't get a lot of silica pearls yet). For these turrets we had prepared 1k bullets  On top of that we had a spare 2k iron in case we needed to make something. I went to bed really satisfied with all the hard work we had delivered, only to wake up today to everything gone! I find PvE lame, but am in no way a warmonger. I like competition but also like to just hang out. Now today I was told by someone that we should get off this server, cause the alphas will simply keep on wiping everyone. I have a level 67 character so I want to transfer it, but I don't know where!

Hence why I made this post. I was wondering if anyone knows of a small tribes server with actual friendly alphas that will just let me be?

Thanks a lot!

~Bremfm

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you have much to learn. i'd advise you to join unofficial servers. on a 3x server, which small-tribe ones are, i'd get to lvl 67 in probably 1h. just do an explorer note run naked. i don't even want to know where you stored your items but i can tell you there are no friendly alphas. offlining is too easy when you only have 6 men to protect your base on a 24/7 basis. when you have a cap, everyone can spyglass your base for the decay timer and see that noone's there. those "1k turret bullets" would have been soaked under 15 min. hell, alphas can flak run normal turrets, especially considering half the turrets are on the "backside" of the base and don't need attention (line of sight).

you can't get big with a few members. if the server allows for 6 members, you better get all 6 slots filled. manpower wins. your only option is guerrilla warfare which means a lot of hiding. 

Hello,

Looking at other players is 70% of pvp and since you didn't build something you made a good choice for a quick raid. 

Craft as soon as possible and build, keep items hidden that are not used.

Hard to keep items hidden. In the past Purlovia and storage inside a stone kept items safe. Now it's  just a stone foundation over a box and hope for the best plus upload items, 23hours despawn. Maybe several pincoded safes 90% empty and one used (they drop to ground when c4ed)?

Small dinos like oviraptors two, dilo and dodo.

Alphs do not care so most likely a single ptero guy.

Regards,

Ariana 

Hey. We are a group of 4 Players and we rerurned  to ark a few weeks ago. We started on smalltribe but gave up and playing on normal pvp now.

We got wiped every 24 hours, no matter what. Maybe we had bad luck with the server and a lot of tribes with high end that didnt attacked each other, but playing on a normal server is so much easier.

But if you need some help, we were pretty good with rebulding after the first wipes, even reached the turret limit several times (dont help, they just soak it midweek when normal people sleep or work).

Try to have several bases, so you can rebuild fast after you lost one. Hide Argentavis everywhere, they help so much when you have to rebuild. I build a lot of 1x1 houses with a box and a bed, you can hide them behind rocks and trees. I had 8 and only lost 1 in 3 weeks.put stuff you need but is hard to get early there. Metal, saddles, cement ect. I also put building parts there, smithys, turrets and stuff. When we got wiped i checked this building and had the base rebuild in 1 hour. Dont forget to refill them!

But in the end, when you on a server with only douchebags, try another server.

2 hours ago, BremFM said:

Hello there! This is my first post here so excuse me if it's not in the wrong subforum (I figured this was the place but hey, everyone makes mistakes).

I bought ARK last week, and am in love with it so far. I've been getting constantly raided, but I'm learning from it every time. I usually play with a friend of mine. I'm playing on a small tribes server. The past two days we've been grinding hard: we had a poopty hidden base, where we were preparing for an instant build out. Yesterday when I went to bed, we had made all the props made to build a 4x4x3 metal base with 3 floors and an air lock. We also had 2.1k iron set aside to craft turrets (we couldn't get a lot of silica pearls yet). For these turrets we had prepared 1k bullets  On top of that we had a spare 2k iron in case we needed to make something. I went to bed really satisfied with all the hard work we had delivered, only to wake up today to everything gone! I find PvE lame, but am in no way a warmonger. I like competition but also like to just hang out. Now today I was told by someone that we should get off this server, cause the alphas will simply keep on wiping everyone. I have a level 67 character so I want to transfer it, but I don't know where!

Hence why I made this post. I was wondering if anyone knows of a small tribes server with actual friendly alphas that will just let me be?

Thanks a lot!

~Bremfm

I never build a base until stone and that is only for forges, your best bet is to hide storages and hide on a boat until strong enough.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 1:50 AM, BremFM said:

Yesterday when I went to bed, we had made all the props made to build a 4x4x3 metal base with 3 floors and an air lock.

People like you are why raiding stone and sometimes even wood bases is always worth the time. People hoard stuff for the "future" rather then place it down and its there neatly packed in a box for me when I come to visit ?

Since you are new and very inexperienced by the sounds of it I would highly recommend you try and join another tribe. That way you can learn the ropes, know what to do and know what not to do. There is a lot of hidden mechanics and tricks to this game that aren't publicly acknowledged and that few know about but which can give you a decisive advantage if used correctly. Anyways after a few weeks or so you can decide whether you want to stick with them or go separate ways. 

Regardless though of your choice you will still get raided. This maybe hard to comprehend when your new to the game but its a core part of PVP. You should play with the mindset that you may go to bed and wake up the next day and all your stuff will be gone including tames. With that in mind you should play smart. If your base is small and has no defences then avoid storing your best gear inside, instead hide it somewhere small. Even if its in just a wood box in a bush, chances are it will last longer there then in your big wood/stone 'fortress' that has no defences and stands out like a sore thumb.

I will tell you a brief but inspiring story. Ages ago my band of killers were hired by a large Chinese mega to soften up a server for an upcoming invasion. We raided this particular server for a few weeks day after day. We'd basically go around smashing and killing everything we could see. In the south on the island on first day we came across this fairly simple stone base near a metal mountain which appeared to be owned by a one man tribe. We blew our away inside took the good stuff and dumped the rest.

A few days later we came back and the owner had repaired the damage and had also added another layer of walls. So now it was two layers thick. So we jumped on the roof and blew our way in once again, took the loot and dumped the rest. 

A couple days later we were passing by and were surprised to find that the base was completely repaired and had been extended once again. This time another layer of ceilings had been added to the roof to make it thicker. The owner was obviously learning new things. Now obviously that wasn't going to stop us as we had an almost infinite supply of explosives at that point. So we blew our way in through a wall and then the second wall and to our surprise there was 4 plant x in the central room. We did what we normally do and left him to tend to the ruins.

About a week later we were cruising around the server and we'd thought we'd check up on our dear friend to see if he'd been back and sure enough indeed he had. The whole base has been converted to metal. So we once again made ourselves welcome and did our thing.

A few days after this we were in the area and had a peek to see if he'd been back because we thought surely by this point this solo player would have had enough. To our surprise he wasn't quite ready to give up. The base now had 2 auto turrets placed on opposite corners of the base. That obviously wasn't going to help him very much and so we let ourselves in did our thing and left.

A week later we came back and he's planted plant x all around the outside, added about 20 auto turrets up on his roof and some on the ground and he's built a large fence around the base. At this point I and the others were quite impressed with his stamina and determination. This guy was a fighter and even though he had lost every battle he was still there trying to hold on.

We reached the conclusion that this guy could be of some use to us, he had seemingly the right mental qualities a good PVP player needs. We went to his base and upon seeing us he ran inside the gates and shut the door. I talked to him in voice chat and he at first was a bit hesitant but after a few minutes we were able to get a good convo going. I eventually made an offer for him to join our main Chinese tribe on another server where he could build in peace with plentiful resources. 

To our surprise he turned down the offer. This was his base he said and he wasn't leaving. While I admired his determination, his hubris given the situation wasn't the correct choice and so with that we blasted his base. This time everything went even the foundations, until there was just a fence surrounding an empty paddock.

After that we never saw him again in that server or on any other server and according to Battlemetrics he had stopped playing.

3 hours ago, Phex said:

Thats a nice story, showing that server transfer was a bad idea and many people cant differ between pvp and griefing.

Server transfers are great they give players freedom to move around and fight more people. 

This silly word "griefing" is a pointless word. It was a PVP server we attacked and killed tribes and their bases that is by definition PVP, in fact its the very definition of PVP.

4 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

People like you are why raiding stone and sometimes even wood bases is always worth the time. People hoard stuff for the "future" rather then place it down and its there neatly packed in a box for me when I come to visit ?

Since you are new and very inexperienced by the sounds of it I would highly recommend you try and join another tribe. That way you can learn the ropes, know what to do and know what not to do. There is a lot of hidden mechanics and tricks to this game that aren't publicly acknowledged and that few know about but which can give you a decisive advantage if used correctly. Anyways after a few weeks or so you can decide whether you want to stick with them or go separate ways. 

Regardless though of your choice you will still get raided. This maybe hard to comprehend when your new to the game but its a core part of PVP. You should play with the mindset that you may go to bed and wake up the next day and all your stuff will be gone including tames. With that in mind you should play smart. If your base is small and has no defences then avoid storing your best gear inside, instead hide it somewhere small. Even if its in just a wood box in a bush, chances are it will last longer there then in your big wood/stone 'fortress' that has no defences and stands out like a sore thumb.

I will tell you a brief but inspiring story. Ages ago my band of killers were hired by a large Chinese mega to soften up a server for an upcoming invasion. We raided this particular server for a few weeks day after day. We'd basically go around smashing and killing everything we could see. In the south on the island on first day we came across this fairly simple stone base near a metal mountain which appeared to be owned by a one man tribe. We blew our away inside took the good stuff and dumped the rest.

A few days later we came back and the owner had repaired the damage and had also added another layer of walls. So now it was two layers thick. So we jumped on the roof and blew our way in once again, took the loot and dumped the rest. 

A couple days later we were passing by and were surprised to find that the base was completely repaired and had been extended once again. This time another layer of ceilings had been added to the roof to make it thicker. The owner was obviously learning new things. Now obviously that wasn't going to stop us as we had an almost infinite supply of explosives at that point. So we blew our way in through a wall and then the second wall and to our surprise there was 4 plant x in the central room. We did what we normally do and left him to tend to the ruins.

About a week later we were cruising around the server and we'd thought we'd check up on our dear friend to see if he'd been back and sure enough indeed he had. The whole base has been converted to metal. So we once again made ourselves welcome and did our thing.

A few days after this we were in the area and had a peek to see if he'd been back because we thought surely by this point this solo player would have had enough. To our surprise he wasn't quite ready to give up. The base now had 2 auto turrets placed on opposite corners of the base. That obviously wasn't going to help him very much and so we let ourselves in did our thing and left.

A week later we came back and he's planted plant x all around the outside, added about 20 auto turrets up on his roof and some on the ground and he's built a large fence around the base. At this point I and the others were quite impressed with his stamina and determination. This guy was a fight and even though he had lost every battle he was still there trying to hold on.

We reached the conclusion that this guy could be of some use to us, he had seemingly the right metal qualities a good PVP player needs. We went to his base and upon seeing us he ran inside the gates and shut the door. I talked to him in voice chat and he at first was a bit hesitant but after a few minutes we were able to get a good convo going. I eventually made an offer to join our main Chinese tribe on another server where he could build in peace with plentiful resources. 

To our surprise he turned down the offer. This was his base he said and he wasn't leaving. While I admired his determination, his hubris given the situation wasn't the correct choice and so with that we blasted his base. This time everything went even the foundations until there was just a fence surrounding an empty paddock.

After that we never saw him again in that server or on any other server and according to Battlemetrics he had stopped playing.

That's so sad. I can really emphasize with that solo dude. It feels the same for me, I ain't giving up. I would also never join my opponents, lest they were real chill all along. Well, at the moment I'm just gathering metal in a 3x2x1 base. I'm going to either move out to a new location on The Island, or transfer to a The Center server. Not sure yet. What are pros and cons to TC? I was told there are a lot less "grieffers" on TC? But also that it's more laggy so idk 

Ive been in any type of servers there are. With the couple of you i suggest Unofficial servers. on official with just a few of you, yeah your gonna raided all the time, no way to stop this. as long as your offline any base is raidable. it wont matter if you have 500 turrets or  not. 1 cannon will take you out.  They do have plenty of offline protected servers or unofficial servers with rules tho. if thats not acceptable. recruit or join a bigger tribe. 

6 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Server transfers are great they give players freedom to move around and fight more people. 

This silly word "griefing" is a pointless word. It was a PVP server we attacked and killed tribes and their bases that is by definition PVP, in fact its the very definition of PVP.

Yeah, as is said. Some people dont know the difference. PvP is fighting other people who at least can fight back at some level and for some reason. Ressources, something happening that pissed you off and you want revenge, RPG.

Flying around and destroing a single dude in his stone base with an alpha setup, dropping his stuff to the ground over and over until he quits the game is griefing. But at least you were able to feel power for a brief moment, right? Must be awesome.

3 hours ago, Phex said:

Yeah, as is said. Some people dont know the difference. PvP is fighting other people who at least can fight back at some level and for some reason. Ressources, something happening that pissed you off and you want revenge, RPG.

Flying around and destroing a single dude in his stone base with an alpha setup, dropping his stuff to the ground over and over until he quits the game is griefing. But at least you were able to feel power for a brief moment, right? Must be awesome.

No that is your custom definition of PVP not the actual definition. Anytime you fight another player it is PVP regardless of whether they have the ability to fight back or not.

By the sounds of it you probably play on of those faux PVP private "community" servers with intricate rules designed to stop actual PVP.

Playing Solo and being alpha is possible. Being offlineable and almost unraidable. I've had a solo base for 3 months and no-one can breach. There are a lot of good tips I can give you, much better than what is being posted.

Private message me if you want actual good tips on how. Here's on for everyone, it's pretty common and alot of people know about it but most people can't be bothered checking.

Store an argentavis at the border of the map, Out in the ocean and high up to th  ceiling. Make sure you do it in a low traffic spot on the map. Heck U can also even do this at the ceiling in sky... I had 30 wyverns flying right above my base at ceiling for 4 months. Got raided tons of times but no-one ever flew to the ceiling...

But it's safer to do somewhere out in the ocean cause people barely ever fly high there. Keep a bird to retrieve it stuff hidden, or since it on smallteibe just take a low level ptera to retrieve, takes like 20 minutes on raw meat on small... Don't have boats nearby Ur ceilings hieght Argy. Use map marker instead... Move them around ever month or so. Put tracking beacon on Argy and set to passive flee... 

I've been doing this for years and I think once I've had someone find and kill my Argy but overall a great spot to hide Ur stuff

Also to clarify. I say I ocean border ceiling because it's the least likely place people fly to but if Ur not near elavated like mountains, land ceiling height could be good too. Ur more likely someone is gonna find cause there's no reason to be flying at ceiling height ocean border unless someone is specifically looking for this hide spot. Also the best spot imo is ceiling height, not at border but 1/2 in ocean adjacent to land that has low traffic and elevation.. some people will fly to border and check ceiling but if it's midway those people won't find Ur Dino unless they either check the entire ocean ceiling height 

And with that passive flee tracking beacon.. I have never found the need to do this because if anyone does find the Argy most of the time they wouldn't be able to access the loot if they did take the time to kill it and it was on just passive.  But passive flee does run the risk for a smarter player leading it to where land and than being able to access loot but at the same time could deter a griefy player from taking the time chasing and killing it... 

Also for people checking ceiling height out in the ocean a Griffin or high stam wyvern is best, than a stam ptera... U don't have to go back to dry land just fly the Dino to the edge of the water, jump off have a little swim and it will regain stam, than U jump back on. 

7 hours ago, Phex said:

Since you destroyed his base most times when he was offline, where was the second "P" in PvP? Sounds like PvE for me so you can piss people off.

It's PVP regardless of whether they are there or not. It still falls under the PVP umbrella.

In any case we were honourable, we gave the guy a chance to move to greener pastures but he chose to die. 

On 8/18/2018 at 6:20 PM, BremFM said:

Thanks a lot!

~Bremfm

What the server number and on what platform?

we want to go pay those '' alphas" a visit

In Ark there's a "beginning/middle/end". 

You're at the beginning. I've glanced at what the end looks like and honestly prefer the beginning. That's why I play on smalltribe servers as well now. 

Storing resources - any resources - never a good idea. Pursue highest level tames you can and make a to-do list daily and use the tames to achieve that. 

5 hours ago, Zeffe said:

Kind of curious what the going rate is for somebody to wipe alphas?

10 hours ago, Zeffe said:

It was on PS4 on smalltribes19 the island. But the two of us transferred to a server on the center, and I've had atleast 4 different people/tribes help me out with various things. Honestly surprised at how friendly the people are on this server! We're having a hard time though but we'll manage.

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:20 AM, BremFM said:

Thanks a lot!

~Bremfm

Tip, join official and get with a small to medium sized tribe to learn the ropes. Small tribe server are heavily competitive and PVP focused where official is more grinding with PVP in off server or sometimes on server raids

14 minutes ago, AzDaemon said:

Tip, join official and get with a small to medium sized tribe to learn the ropes. Small tribe server are heavily competitive and PVP focused where official is more grinding with PVP in off server or sometimes on server raids

Well fortunately I'm a pretty experienced Rust player, so I was able to learn the basics fast. I'm already understanding most of the things tbh, there are so many resources on the internet that help out.

On 8/18/2018 at 5:20 PM, BremFM said:

Thanks a lot!

~Bremfm

I'm on EU the center small tribes 38 most are nice

On 8/19/2018 at 9:16 AM, ForzaProiettile said:

It's PVP regardless of whether they are there or not. It still falls under the PVP umbrella.

In any case we were honourable, we gave the guy a chance to move to greener pastures but he chose to die. 

Your definition of honorable is much different than most honorable people would agree with. By your own admission, you and your friends attacked one guys base multiple times, all but one time when he was offline and then finally razed everything he had. That's far from honorable. Most pvpers today have no clue what honorable is, especially in Ark. You dont want a fair fight. You dont want a challenge. You just want to mindlessly dominate and destroy people who have no chance at winning. You dont care one bit about the person(s) at the other end of the beating, thats not honorable in the least. Its a shame really, because things like respect and honor make wins and losses in pvp much more fun. You made someone quit playing and brag about it. That right there says everything about how honorable you were.

16 hours ago, Moonie1 said:

Your definition of honorable is much different than most honorable people would agree with. By your own admission, you and your friends attacked one guys base multiple times, all but one time when he was offline and then finally razed everything he had. That's far from honorable. Most pvpers today have no clue what honorable is, especially in Ark. You dont want a fair fight. You dont want a challenge. You just want to mindlessly dominate and destroy people who have no chance at winning. You dont care one bit about the person(s) at the other end of the beating, thats not honorable in the least. Its a shame really, because things like respect and honor make wins and losses in pvp much more fun. You made someone quit playing and brag about it. That right there says everything about how honorable you were.

I play to win and at the end of the day that is what counts. PVP is about fighting and winning. At the end of the day honour is decided by the victor. If he wants to be merciful then so be it, but if one chooses to give no quarter then that is perfectly acceptable as well. My theory is if you only chop off the stalk of the weed, it will come back to grow larger. It is better to take a shovel to it and remove it completely then it will no longer threaten your crops.

Regarding our friend, as I said in my post we didn't raze his base without first offering him the chance for resettlement to our farming server. Unfortunately his hubris got the better of him and we had to remove him. We offered him a really good package, top notch. It included access to a big base, lots of resources, quality breeding lines, being part of a mega tribe. Everything most humble folks would enjoy. It is a shame he chose to be suicidal instead. Oh well we can't all be winners.

Archived