Building Tip

WaightZer

2 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Looks like the pillar isnt snapped to the main wall (looks crooked) are the top ceilings run off the main wall or only from that pillar?

they run off from the main wall, the main wall itself is supported by the pillars which also snapped to the floor my character standing on. The floor is supported by series of pillars underneath.

Stone ceilings on the floor snapped, that one ceiling in the middle snapped, only the red one, it doesn't , its strange.

The pillar is just that I tried to test whether I can extend the upper level ceilings. the pillar itself ran from the ceiling and touched the ground, and yet next ceiling has no nearby foundation support.

Hello,

Relog and ARK sometimes snap out of it.

But I place pillars from the lowest point on the bottom and then place the ceilings higher up floating as you have. You can have four (4) pillar spacings as long as the pillars are connected in one line then fill that area (4x5, 4x9or4x15) with foundations (stops rain indoors).

Regards,

Ariana 

@WaightZer your pillar in the middle is not registering as touching the ground. You either have one microscopically small gap in between the ground and the tip of the pillar, or the game is just being a ***** like arks build system is constantly. You will most likely fix your problems when you restack the pillars either starting at the ground, or from a different starting point on the top pillar so that they can reach all of the way down without colliding with the ground. Another option you have is to line the floor in pillars snapped to the walls and place ceilings on top of them (if you have not already, the text of what's going on in the picture was a bit confusing). After you have your base floor on the bottom pillars, you can go up without needing anymore tall supports (the ceilings will snap to the walls directly and cover the whole pen evenly without any obvious supports). It's difficult to describe building strategies in text, but I hope I conveyed that to where you could understand what I was trying to say.  

11 hours ago, ArianaGaming said:

Hello,

Relog and ARK sometimes snap out of it.

But I place pillars from the lowest point on the bottom and then place the ceilings higher up floating as you have. You can have four (4) pillar spacings as long as the pillars are connected in one line then fill that area (4x5, 4x9or4x15) with foundations (stops rain indoors).

Regards,

Ariana 

I'm well aware of that. Been trying to fixed that weird problem for 2 days already. What makes me confused is, from the same pillar and to the same direction, one ceiling can snap but the other can't.

11 hours ago, MandaBear said:

@WaightZer your pillar in the middle is not registering as touching the ground. You either have one microscopically small gap in between the ground and the tip of the pillar, or the game is just being a ***** like arks build system is constantly. You will most likely fix your problems when you restack the pillars either starting at the ground, or from a different starting point on the top pillar so that they can reach all of the way down without colliding with the ground. Another option you have is to line the floor in pillars snapped to the walls and place ceilings on top of them (if you have not already, the text of what's going on in the picture was a bit confusing). After you have your base floor on the bottom pillars, you can go up without needing anymore tall supports (the ceilings will snap to the walls directly and cover the whole pen evenly without any obvious supports). It's difficult to describe building strategies in text, but I hope I conveyed that to where you could understand what I was trying to say.  

The bottom most pillar is half way inside the ground, I think Ark just being ***** to me on its building system as its sometime do.

Now I already demolished all the floor and supporting pillars beneath it. Gonna try running down new pillars from the wall supporting pillars again when I get back home.

Thanks anyway for taking your time helping me figuring out the problem.

• Volunteer Moderator

Keep in mind that connected structures are not constantly looking for support but instead rely on the previous structures that have been added to the snapping chain. The distorted rendering pillar shows that you have two support chains. The green, and the red illustrated there:

YMECPUJ.jpg

The black X show where they are not connected which means they are two chains. To fix it, you will have to demo from the black X and the entire red chain to then continue snapping pillars down from the second ceiling supported by the green one.

3 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Keep in mind that connected structures are not constantly looking for support but instead rely on the previous structures that have been added to the snapping chain. The distorted rendering pillar shows that you have two support chains. The green, and the red illustrated there:

YMECPUJ.jpg

The black X show where they are not connected which means they are two chains. To fix it, you will have to demo from the black X and the entire red chain to then continue snapping pillars down from the second ceiling supported by the green one.

Now I found out that some ceilings are part of the foundation. Systematically placing pillars alone can't support the ceilings above. I put pillars and ceilings underwater like building a bridge. Then built a platform (green arrows) above. When I demolish some ceiling underwater, Ceilings above also collapse (which is not supposed to happen).

Hello,

2 hours ago, WaightZer said:

When I demolish some ceiling underwater, Ceilings above also collapse (which is not supposed to happen).

I am taking @invincibleqc word "snapping chain" since it describes the invisible snap point system.

When you break a structure on the ground you remove foundation support for structures above. This breaks ceilings above or create a floating structure with no foundation support, this is against CoC. You can see that floating structure in the screen shot,  ceiling placed with no foundation support.

If a wall is part of the snapping chain., exqmple raised foundation (foundation floor + wall then two ceilings out and pillar down as far away as possible from the foundation+next foundation floor snapped to last placed pillar) breaking that wall will unsnapp the raised foundation.

You can also not connect two separate snapping chains unless they are with in two lowered levels or two raised levels.

So you need to build a snapping chain of pillars then place a foundation and walls up then ceilings only supported by the walls up, to understand the invisible snapping chain. Do this in single player with command gcm on.

ARK building gets fun after that learning curve.

Regards,

Ariana 

• Volunteer Moderator
6 hours ago, WaightZer said:

Now I found out that some ceilings are part of the foundation. Systematically placing pillars alone can't support the ceilings above. I put pillars and ceilings underwater like building a bridge. Then built a platform (green arrows) above. When I demolish some ceiling underwater, Ceilings above also collapse (which is not supposed to happen).

It is supposed to happens because you break the snapping chain by doing so. If you snap the pillar to a ceiling, and then demo that ceiling, the pillar is no longer snapped and won't support anything connected to the other chain. You have to snap pillar to pillar without using a ceiling to connect them if you want to use lone pillar as support.

5CA609CDEB2F3134F931E5234A8F20F723B53FEF

6 hours ago, WaightZer said:

Ark has been a sausage to me.

20180817180306_1.jpg

I'm pretty sure if you use Q to cycle the snap points you will find one that is green. It doesn't look to be a floating structure to me, but just different snapping chains. Replacing a stone ceiling with a another should looks like:

D1B9CEF7F23E3A32E1CC1A6FD4228ABD66F98B4D

As you can see in your screenshot, the ceiling you are trying to place is not properly "replacing" the ceiling currently placed and seems to try to snap in a different angle which indicate; different snapping chain.

the problem is that the snap point for pillars dont line up with the snap points of walls

u cant use pillars to build the upper floors of a base (connecting the 1st floor to the 2nd floor with pillars etc)

from the picture it looks like the 1st and 2nd floor are the same level as the larger building, that means the long pillar isnt really connected

are u trying to build a wall of pillars on the inside of the base area or filling in the inside area with ceiling?

Archived