Character Transfer issues within a dedicated cluster loosing characters

CyberAngel67

First the background.

I have 5 maps setup with one instance of Ark, setup with each map separated in their own folder and within a cluster. I have just got character transfers to work and have come across an interesting issue that I can use some help with. I have back ups, so I am in the position to roll back and do any testing that can identify the actual cause.

I am also seeing a similar issue with separate instance and single map per instance, but I am still doing more testing on this setup.

The Issue.

Each map already has a character created, with structures and tames. If I use transfer from say The Island to Ragnarok, I am challenged if I want to overwrite the character. As I am using a controller, I push the A Button and it loads up and asks if I wish to spawn. I then use spawn and it then asks me to chose the spawn point. With multiple bases I only have one bed, but when I select it, the game spawns me at the location of the other base where there is no bed and in the body of the character that I was supposed to have over written.

That is the first problem.

The second is when I try to transfer that character back to The Island, it asks me to create a new character. No, do you want to spawn or anything. This effectively means I have lost both characters now, because every transfer is a new character creation.

So the question now is can this be fixed, without wiping everything.

Now I also said the other setup does the same thing, so I am not sure it is the way the instances are setup.

Any one have suggestions, clues or any more knowledge on how to get around or fix this?

Hi Cyber.

36 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Each map already has a character created

If you want to keep all those characters then don't transfer them via the obelisk.  Instead, exit Ark from one map, then join Ark on the other map.  That will keep all your characters intact.

In the Steam version of Ark, the character on each map is associated with the player's steam ID (the long number).  Each steam ID can have only one character per map - that's the way Ark works.  I don't know what Xbox and PS use as their actual ID - it would be interesting to see what the "arkprofile" files are called.

The problem with having one character per map is that each has to be levelled independently.  And each has to do the boss fights to unlock the tek engrams.

1 hour ago, CyberAngel67 said:

when I try to transfer that character back to The Island, it asks me to create a new character.

I suspect you're missing one or both of these (or maybe one is set to True) from one of your configs.

PreventDownloadSurvivors=False
PreventUploadSurvivors=False

When you create a new survivor, the survivor is allocated a "Survivor ID" which is a number - but different to the Steam ID.  If you spawn another new survivor (overwriting your previous one) it will have a new (different) Survivor ID.

The problem is that structures and tame dinos are associated with the Survivor ID.  So when you put a foundation down with one Survivor, then spawn a second survivor (from the same Steam account) you lose access to your first foundation because it was created by a different Survivor ID.

Knowing the above, Ark appears to have an inconsistent behaviour:-  If you upload a dino on (for example) the Island, you can disconnect, then login to (say) Ragnarok and download that dino.  Obolisk uploads (Cluster transfers) are associated with your Steam ID, NOT your Survivor ID.

6 minutes ago, DuoMog said:

Hi Cyber.

If you want to keep all those characters then don't transfer them via the obelisk.  Instead, exit Ark from one map, then join Ark on the other map.  That will keep all your characters intact.

In the Steam version of Ark, the character on each map is associated with the player's steam ID (the long number).  Each steam ID can have only one character per map - that's the way Ark works.  I don't know what Xbox and PS use as their actual ID - it would be interesting to see what the "arkprofile" files are called.

The problem with having one character per map is that each has to be levelled independently.  And each has to do the boss fights to unlock the tek engrams.

I am aware of that, that has how I have been playing on these maps for 2 years. The issue I have is that I have had to make engrams on other maps, because the character on another unlocked the engrams from boss fights.

It was too messy to keep going that way.

So I wanted to use the transfer character, which I am fully aware that it being over written is fine by me.

What is not fine by me, is what I wrote. And I suggest you read it carefully. But I will say it again.

Step 1

Load up in the map The Island, the character level is 108 and then I transfer to my other map Ragnarok, the original character on there is level 114, the game asks me to spawn and where I want to spawn and then doesn't spawn me in that place. Instead it makes me the level 114 character, not the level 108 from The Island.

So if I try to transfer the level 114 back to The Island, it asks me to create a character, because that is NOT the character that came from there.

I did say this explicitly already.

I suspect you're missing one or both of these (or maybe one is set to True) from one of your configs.

PreventDownloadSurvivors=False
PreventUploadSurvivors=False

No I am not, we went through all this getting transfer to work in my last post on getting transfers to work.

When you create a new survivor, the survivor is allocated a "Survivor ID" which is a number - but different to the Steam ID.  If you spawn another new survivor (overwriting your previous one) it will have a new (different) Survivor ID.

I know that, which is half the problem when I transfer my character back to The Island, every transfer is resulting in being forced to create a new character.

The problem is that structures and tame dinos are associated with the Survivor ID.  So when you put a foundation down with one Survivor, then spawn a second survivor (from the same Steam account) you lose access to your first foundation because it was created by a different Survivor ID.

I know that and that doesn't bother me and has nothing to do with what I am asking.

Knowing the above, Ark appears to have an inconsistent behaviour:-  If you upload a dino on (for example) the Island, you can disconnect, then login to (say) Ragnarok and download that dino.  Obolisk uploads (Cluster transfers) are associated with your Steam ID, NOT your Survivor ID.

And again, Dino transfers have worked fine and still do. Character transfers do not and are subject to exactly the issue I have outlined.

So far, nothing you have mentioned even relates to anything I have already stated.

In other words, you have't read what I initially said properly.

8 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

In other words, you have't read what I initially said properly.

I'm like that sometimes.  It can take me a while to understand what is actually being said and delve down into a solution.  Questions, answers and diagnosis all take time.

I'm sorry to have troubled you.

3 minutes ago, DuoMog said:

I'm like that sometimes.  It can take me a while to understand what is actually being said and delve down into a solution.  Questions, answers and diagnosis all take time.

I'm sorry to have troubled you.

At least you're honest about that.

But to add to what I said.

When transferring a character to Ragnarok, it asks me if I want to overwrite it, but it doesn't. If I transfer that character back to The Island, it creates a new character, if I allow that to happen and transfer that back to Ragnarok, it again asks me if I want overwrite the character and again if I allow it and try to transfer that non created character back to The Island I am again challenged to create a new character.

My understanding is that I should not be challenged to create a new character after transferring it.

Archived