Questions about egg farming

Kevdog

I am trying to get Dilo eggs( I have about 5 females and 2 males ), and I want to use them to get as much eggs as possible. I can't find anywhere if I am supposed to put them on wandering or not to get eggs out of them or not. When I put them on wandering, they mate with each other, and instantly produce eggs, but then they can't do it for a while. Am I not supposed to do it this way if I want eggs? Should the wandering be disabled?

When I have set it to disabled wandering, I haven't gotten any eggs from them, but maybe this is because the mating cooldown is affecting this?

Is the mating cooldown completely seperate from the 17 minute timer for the chance for eggs to drop, or do they interact in some way?

If there is another forum post or wiki page that goes over this, feel free to direct me towards it, but I couldn't find any.

Thanks

Just now, Graf1cs said:

Enable wandering to get fert eggs, the glowing ones, for hatching babies. Otherwise they will lay on their own. If you can manage to get an oviraptor (buy 1 from someone) this will increase the chance for them to lay un-fert eggs.

If I am just going for eggs in general ( for kibble ), which should I go for then? Can I double up on them and have them do fert eggs and then after have them lay unfert eggs? Or should I just do unfert eggs for maximum egg output.

You only need 1 male to mate boost the 5 females.    They do not need to be on wander to drop eggs.    Only on wander for fert eggs.     Placing a oviraptor near the dilos will increase egg production by giving them a mate boost.    You can make kibble from regular eggs and fertilized eggs.    I've found placing the females on a wooden ramp makes it easier to pickup eggs.

Yes un-fert eggs are unaffected by any laying or cooldown of fertilised eggs.

The layers don't have to be on wander for un-fert eggs but the Oviraptor DOES have to be on wander to provide the egg boost - we used to just weigh them down with stone full inventory until we installed the Structures Plus mod with hitching posts - fantastic addition allowing wander with no movement.

I have been having a dilo problem myself. All my other tames are producing eggs for kibble but my dilos have yet to lay a single egg. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that I brought them over to SE from the Island, but I haven't heard of anyone else having that issue so maybe I am just unlucky. I also wonder if some dinos simply produce more eggs than others of the same breed. I have one mantis that drops eggs daily but the others barely produce any eggs at all. I know some of it has to do with having someone online and within render range of the dinos for them to lay eggs, if your base isn't actively rendered then egg laying either slows down or stops all together. Other than that I am going to keep taming dilos until I get a group that knows how to egg properly lol.

Hello,

Some help from me.

One male and say two female give more eggs than just two females. Oviraptor give egg boost to all creatures in range, when oviraptor is on wander (filled inventory=no-move). But most importantly is player present, you need to be in range of your creatures. Some biomes might also give more eggs. I like "wilderness" biome. Keeping eggs on another server or in another tribe this is only effective when you have 500-1000+ eggs, making kibble is also the same as transfering eggs to another tribe.

That is all I know and some might not be accurate, use as you like.

Edit : dodo give more eggs than dilo, yes.

Regards,

Ariana 

Also to keep in mind: Dinos only lay eggs when they are not in stasis - meaning a player has to be in rendering range of it. Any player counts - even if its just someone from another tribe flying over your base.

In Addition there is are 2 limits of how many eggs can be within a certain range in your base. One is a lower limit of how many eggs of one kind (i think 6) meaning you will >usually< not find more than 6 dilo eggs even if you have 30 females next to each other. And there is a limit of how many eggs in total of all kinds - so if you have all your egg-layers in one huge barn layered on top of each other eventually egg production will slow down because of this. So you might also want to keep them not too close to each other. I went with one herbivore house, one carnivore house and one bird-house on my old official base. Also helps with the feeding if you only have to put berries in one house, and meat in the other one instead of having to have both everywhere.

15 minutes ago, Campi said:

Also to keep in mind: Dinos only lay eggs when they are not in stasis - meaning a player has to be in rendering range of it. Any player counts - even if its just someone from another tribe flying over your base.

In Addition there is are 2 limits of how many eggs can be within a certain range in your base. One is a lower limit of how many eggs of one kind (i think 6) meaning you will >usually< not find more than 6 dilo eggs even if you have 30 females next to each other. And there is a limit of how many eggs in total of all kinds - so if you have all your egg-layers in one huge barn layered on top of each other eventually egg production will slow down because of this. So you might also want to keep them not too close to each other. I went with one herbivore house, one carnivore house and one bird-house on my old official base. Also helps with the feeding if you only have to put berries in one house, and meat in the other one instead of having to have both everywhere.

is stasis still used in the game? i thought it was removed

Archived