Couple Hardcore mode questions

Wikus

Hi all , I have a couple questions RE hardcore mode , specifically on single player.

1. As I understand it , in hardcore mode your if you die , your character dies completely and you must restart a new character. I always thought the map and bases gets completely wiped as well. But seems I was wrong. Does bases , dinos , items in the map stay as is ? Or do the whole map get wiped ?

2. If all you owned stays in map , how does the game handle the tribe ownership then ? You start a new character so that character won't be able to use any tames or bases you had ?
Or does it transfer the permissions automatically to your new character ?

Never tried hardcore before but i'm pretty sure it is the same as if you select "Spawn as new character" on the respawn dialog. In that case your player just counts as a new player so it's not part of any tribe if you had one set up for the other char and is not owner of any of the structures/dinos. This means you can probably destroy/loot your old base but you are not owner of those structures/dinos just as if they where built by another player on a server - unless the game is set as PVE then you cannot even damage/destroy the old stuff.

Solo tribes on any hardcore server are a horrible idea simply because of the fact that once you die, you lose everything. The only work around to this is if you have a second game going that can invite alt accounts into the tribe to make sure you do not lose it when you die. 

If you do die and you are a solo then no, the base is not wiped and can not be retrieved without admin commands. It will despawn after everything decomposes and you will have started over by that point. There is no tame reclaiming either, so you will lose your tames as well when the timer runs out on them or they starve (whichever comes first). 

It's definitely a different game mode and has massive challenges. However, I have found that once you figure out the game and have "been there done that" with pretty much everything that there is to see with ark, it is a new experience. ?

Among my 4k+ hours into Ark, I spent well over 3k hours on PvP hardcore officials. Here are a few things to remember:

- Dying means you lose everything, character, levels, tribe, structures & dinos. In singleplayer, it means you'll have to restart from level 1 butt naked each time you'll die. Of course, you can always use admin commands to get your stuff back, but honestly, don't bother playing hardcore if you're going to do that. Structures/dinos will remain in place until they decay.

- Tribe ownership as always been a problem in this game, especially in hardcore mode. If you have let's say 3 characters in your tribe and the owner dies for whatever reason, ownership is never transfered to remaining tribe members, even if they have admin rights. This means that a tribe with a dead owner can't change their name, nor change any tribe settings. This is also why every hardcore tribe worth its salt on official always has the tribe owner uploaded in an obelisk/drop. This trick prevent total tribe wipes and allows you to see tribe log in the event of a devastating attack.

- Crashing in singleplayer is as critical as in multiplayer mode. Indeed, it will simply reset your game to your last save -> last time you left the game normally or forced a game save. On multiplayer, crashing means dead character 99% of the time.

Golden rule of hardcore, no matter how well you prepare and plan, you'll eventually die, period. Make sure you accept that fact and plan accordingly. Can be a grinder, hidden boxes to restart, explorer note runs, etc.

If you have other questions, don't be shy to ask.

Regards.

Ok thanx for the info guys. Think I might give it a shot one day just for a different challenge. I don't play servers , only single player , so I think when I do decide to give this a go I will upload my current character and start a new character on hardcore mode. Then if I see it's not for me then I'll just kill it and download my old character in normal mode again.
I'm a "been there done that" player ( like @MandaBear describes ) that has done pretty much everything there is to do and are looking for something different to try.

Sounds like it can be a huge challenge. 

One question though , does structures decay in single player ? Is there a way to disable that ? Because the way I want to do it ( uploading current character to use again later on )
sounds like my current base will decay and destroy and dinos will die ? I never knew decay is active on single player. Can one disable that ? I don't want to loose my current bases and dinos when I want to return to it in normal mode one day when I am done with this hardcore playthrough.
Can a harcore character be uploaded and downloaded ? Cos I am thinking then to just regularly upload the HC character , download the normal one , reset timers add food to troughs , upload it again and download HC character again. Would that work ?

16 hours ago, Darkholis said:

Among my 4k+ hours into Ark, I spent well over 3k hours on PvP hardcore officials. Here are a few things to remember:

- Dying means you lose everything, character, levels, tribe, structures & dinos. In singleplayer, it means you'll have to restart from level 1 butt naked each time you'll die. Of course, you can always use admin commands to get your stuff back, but honestly, don't bother playing hardcore if you're going to do that. Structures/dinos will remain in place until they decay.

- Tribe ownership as always been a problem in this game, especially in hardcore mode. If you have let's say 3 characters in your tribe and the owner dies for whatever reason, ownership is never transfered to remaining tribe members, even if they have admin rights. This means that a tribe with a dead owner can't change their name, nor change any tribe settings. This is also why every hardcore tribe worth its salt on official always has the tribe owner uploaded in an obelisk/drop. This trick prevent total tribe wipes and allows you to see tribe log in the event of a devastating attack.

- Crashing in singleplayer is as critical as in multiplayer mode. Indeed, it will simply reset your game to your last save -> last time you left the game normally or forced a game save. On multiplayer, crashing means dead character 99% of the time.

Golden rule of hardcore, no matter how well you prepare and plan, you'll eventually die, period. Make sure you accept that fact and plan accordingly. Can be a grinder, hidden boxes to restart, explorer note runs, etc.

If you have other questions, don't be shy to ask.

Regards.

I currently actively play on a hardcore pvp server and have died a few times. Every time I die, the ownership transfers to the next person in line. That was a recent change ark has made to the system to keep tribes from losing their leaders :) It's quite nice as well, and I'm glad I wasn't playing before that fix. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2018 at 9:45 AM, Wikus said:

Ok thanx for the info guys. Think I might give it a shot one day just for a different challenge. I don't play servers , only single player , so I think when I do decide to give this a go I will upload my current character and start a new character on hardcore mode. Then if I see it's not for me then I'll just kill it and download my old character in normal mode again.
I'm a "been there done that" player ( like @MandaBear describes ) that has done pretty much everything there is to do and are looking for something different to try.

Sounds like it can be a huge challenge. 

One question though , does structures decay in single player ? Is there a way to disable that ? Because the way I want to do it ( uploading current character to use again later on )
sounds like my current base will decay and destroy and dinos will die ? I never knew decay is active on single player. Can one disable that ? I don't want to loose my current bases and dinos when I want to return to it in normal mode one day when I am done with this hardcore playthrough.
Can a harcore character be uploaded and downloaded ? Cos I am thinking then to just regularly upload the HC character , download the normal one , reset timers add food to troughs , upload it again and download HC character again. Would that work ?

Yes, you can turn off decay and yes what you want to do works but switching modes in SP is wobbly at times, meaning, sometimes you chose hardcore but it didn't register and stay normal which can save your life, while other time, you switched back to normal, but sadly... It's still in hardcore. 

I've never played HC. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated, been playing since beta on PC so know most of the ins and outs but having said that it means I'm conditioned for going ham knowing I come right back so that will be a habit to break.

*On PS4 now* so keep in mind have to endure the horrendous PS4 optimization or lack there of.

hmm i guess one thing people forget is that you can have multiple characters uploaded. basically get invited to tribe, upload your character at the ob and make a new character, rinse and repeat. so whenever you die you can download another character and spawn in your base.

ps4? come play one Eu rag :D 

Archived