Community Crunch 143: Extinction Chronicles III Next Week, Dev Diary, & ARK Digest Returns!

Jen

Hey Survivors! Welcome to the latest edition of the Community Crunch! :Jerbhi:

Extinction Chronicles III Next Week!

Ark_ExtinctionChronicles.png

On August 14th Extinction Chronicles III will be released on all platforms. As usual survivors can expect a new tek dino, new Explorer Notes, a new cosmetic, increased level cap, and special colored dinos on all ARKs!

Developer Diaries!

ss_da2fafbc21fb9bea765b56a441d6eca611601

Today we'd like to bring you a new section of the Crunch called Developer Diaries. In this section we'll speak to some of the changes the ARK has gone through. This weeks diary entry is brought to you by Lead Programmer, Chris Willoughby, as he talks about the changes that were recently made to Scorched Earth.

When making new content for a game like ours, you want to make something that challenges players in new ways. With Scorched Earth we decided to do this by making a map that embodied it's namesake - a scorched landscape that proved to be a challenge due to harsh weather and decreased spoil timers. Thematically, this made sense. It also provided a new experience for our players, forcing them to rely on new strategies to survive. The downside of this approach, however, is that it represents a significant hurdle that makes the map less tenable as part of the Cross Ark experience.

After discussing it for some time and consulting with players - we felt it was time to relax these constraints a bit in order to provide a more even experience. First, we've lowered the impact of the environment on consumables, increasing their lifetime to 90% of normal rather than the 30%. In addition, we've limited the effect of Electrical Storms to Tek based weaponry and defenses. This means that your non-Tek weapons will now function, your generators will continue to run, and you can make use of that Tek Cloning Chamber. Finally, we've relaxed the constraint on crop plot placement - so that you can grow where you'd expect to. Many of these changes rolled out on PC as experimental parts of Extinction Chronicles 2. The remaining improvements will hit all three platforms simultaneously with Extinction Chronicles 3, due for release in the next few weeks.

As always, we'll continue to monitor the effect that these changes have on the overall experience, and adjust as necessary. To that end, we're actively examining Aberration and looking at further ways to adjust and improve the player experience there in the near future as well.

Thanks for your ongoing support Survivors!

ss_5af29977a3abbc030d9355422c7e917d872ca

ARK Digest Making A Return!

5ab961aa51651_F1r3fly-Adjustingthecamera-Freeform.jpg

Survivors! It's been quite a while since we've done a question and answer session, but the ARK Digest will be making a come back! Our goal is to bring the Digest back about once a month with the first being on August 20th.

If you have a question you want answered by the ARK dev team please submit your questions with the Subject "ARK Q&A" to our email address: arkfans@studiowildcard.com

Community Livestream Round-Up!

On August 2nd we had our fifth Community Livestream. Thank you to all of those who attended and participated! The community team had a lot of fun and we hope you did as well. If you weren't able to catch the stream you can watch the video-on-demand on our Twitch page or by clicking on the video below.

For this weeks stream ZenRowe and I were joined by the developer of Genesis and some of the members of RPFirst and TwitchRP. 

Map developer Peoples Gaming gave us an expansive tour of what he has built in his cyberpunk adventure world. Ravage and Tess taught us all about RP and the history of ARK and roleplaying, and how RP is conducted on their Genesis server. We learned there is an uprising, a police cult that locks people in jail, and an orphanage of people selling potentially illegal substances! It was an exciting tour unlike any other.

If you're interested in ARK roleplay definitely check out RPFirst and TwitchRP or start your own roleplaying server!

1743917488_submit_fan_creation(1).jpg

We are accepting any type of ARK related fanart to be featured in the Showcase section of the stream and entries are always open. This can be drawings, videos, builds, ANSEL screenshots, handmade crafts, anything ARK related!

You can submit your ARKwork to our streaming email address: arkfans@studiowildcard.com

Be sure to follow us on our Twitch page so you don't miss a stream! twitch.tv/survivetheark

We'll be hosting our next Community Live Stream on Thursday, August the 16th! We hope to see you there :)

Mod Community Updates!

It's ZenRowe here with another modding tutorial for everyone! This one is a bit different in that it's also a bit of a warning about a particular feature that, if used incorrectly, can have some consequences that are difficult to get a handle on. On the other hand, these CDOs can be really handy for making some class information and functions globally accessible. Happy modding!

ARK: Evolution Event+!

large.large.EvoEvent.png.eeb58694dd9d4cb

Survivors across ALL Platforms will be receiving a special Evolution Event perk this weekend! It will be active from Friday the 10th of August at 1 PM EST until Monday the 13th of August at 3 PM EST. All Official Servers across each platform will be undergoing this evolutionary change which includes:

2x Harvesting Rates
2x Taming Rates
2x EXP Rates
2x Maturation Rates
2x  Mating & Egg Hatching Rates
2x Faster Mating Interval

That's it for this post guys! As always if you’ve got anything to share you can find us at:

Twitter: twitter.com/survivetheark
Facebook: facebook.com/survivetheark
Reddit: reddit.com/r/playark
Instagram: instagram.com/survivetheark
Twitch: twitch.tv/survivetheark
Steam: steamcommunity.com/app/346110
Youtube: youtube.com/survivetheark

All the best,
Studio Wildcard

Banner artwork by <❃FLUFFY❃Fr>.

View full article

• Facepalm 1

Guest chancho33015

so am i the only one who just keeps asking my self, "all these game mods and why are they not implemented in any way in official?". It is a bit bizarre how all these game mod developers do a great job in some game mechanics and even tools and literally none of the cool ones are implemented in official game-play...bit of a shame! Lots of potential for official being wasted. Where is steampunk?where is S+? i mean, where is the cool stuff? o.O 

20 minutes ago, phantom55 said:

are you gonna fix fliers AI in SE manticore arena?

Please Wildcard...

2 hours ago, russel said:

Hello why there is no Se on legacy :( it should be at least one right? 

There are several

I hope the changes regarding aberration don't include allowing flyers. 

As for SE, during storms the wind turbines still turn off. 

Thanks for the upcoming breeding event!

It's been almost a year since the Q&A had someone ask for seperate tame and wild dino hunger configs (last August). I was over-exited when I saw an official replay saying something like "Make it so!" But still I havent seen it come out :(

I been asking for that config separation for years. I hope this hasn't been forgotten. This suggestion has been on the top 2 of my wishlist for Ark Configs!

It's a major game changer for me! I'm a relaxed builder and dino hoarder. My super singleplayer made to be as survival-less as possible (I'm interested in Ark for building, taming, breeding, collecting, hoarding, and most of all: eye candy). Starvation was the primary killer for my pretty pretty tames. Turning hunger drain to 0.0 to prevent starvation unfortunately makes wild dinos impossible to tame, so I have to force tame (and I rather not do this, especially on a private server, had to give my residents admin password so they could tame stuff).

What else can I do to prompt you guys to adding it?! You said you would!

Pretty please? *insert image of Jerboa with huge SUPER CUTE eyes!*

reminder. wc stopped doing digests because they couldn't be held responsible for the things they promised. they literally said that. 

someone needs to ask them when they will re-code the lvling math. the higher the max goes (possible 150 for humans after extinction) the more retarded builds people can do. like 200+ speed and avoiding all pve dangers because of it, and straight sprinting through turret fire with that speed. or spend half your points on weight and you can grapple most dinos to halt. 

and maybe finally cap mutations, lower the tribe size limits for main cluster, kibble tree, dino tlc's (80% are trash egg poopers with no uniqueness to them), offlining support (hide decay timer, mod orp)...

Guest DJRone89
13 hours ago, GreenRoc said:

It's been almost a year since the Q&A had someone ask for seperate tame and wild dino hunger configs (last August). I was over-exited when I saw an official replay saying something like "Make it so!" But still I havent seen it come out :(

I been asking for that config separation for years. I hope this hasn't been forgotten. This suggestion has been on the top 2 of my wishlist for Ark Configs!

It's a major game changer for me! I'm a relaxed builder and dino hoarder. My super singleplayer made to be as survival-less as possible (I'm interested in Ark for building, taming, breeding, collecting, hoarding, and most of all: eye candy). Starvation was the primary killer for my pretty pretty tames. Turning hunger drain to 0.0 to prevent starvation unfortunately makes wild dinos impossible to tame, so I have to force tame (and I rather not do this, especially on a private server, had to give my residents admin password so they could tame stuff).

What else can I do to prompt you guys to adding it?! You said you would!

Pretty please? *insert image of Jerboa with huge SUPER CUTE eyes!*

It was introduced a few months ago.

The option isn’t available on console hosted servers but PC servers and rented PC servers (including console) that have access to the ini can enable it.

In the game.ini the setting you require is:

TamedDinoCharacterFoodDrainMultiplier=<value>

This setting only affects tamed dinos food drain, not the global setting (taming), or baby food consumption.

For wild dinos it’s:

WildDinoCharacterFoodDrainMultiplier=<value>

Edited by DJRone89