Problems setting up a cluster where people can't transfer their character

I am struggling with this, looked through all the options available in ASM and don't see what might be causing this.

things I have tried

1) Created a server, single server instance, single config with multiple maps

2) Multiple Server instance, multiple config with single map to each instance.

The server is clustered with a clusterId that is the same for both maps in both configurations and the directory of the cluster is the same for all configs tried. There are no mods for either configuration tried.

The bat file for both configurations 1 for both maps

start "The Island transfer Test" /normal "E:\Steam Servers\Ark Survival\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" TheIsland?listen?Port=7777?QueryPort=27015?MaxPlayers=70?AltSaveDirectoryName=TheIsland? -clusterid=9999 -ClusterDirOverride="E:\Steam Servers\Data Folder" -NoBattlEye -nosteamclient -game -server -log

start "Ragnarok transfer Test" /normal "E:\Steam Servers\Ark Survival\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" Ragnarok?listen?Port=7778?QueryPort=27016?MaxPlayers=70?AltSaveDirectoryName=Ragnarok? -clusterid=9999 -ClusterDirOverride="E:\Steam Servers\Data Folder" -NoBattlEye -nosteamclient -game -server -log

The bat files for configuration 2 for both maps is

start "The Island transfer Test" /normal "E:\Steam Servers\Ark Survival Island\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" TheIsland?listen?Port=7777?QueryPort=27015?MaxPlayers=70?AltSaveDirectoryName=TheIsland? -clusterid=9999 -ClusterDirOverride="E:\Steam Servers\Data Folder" -NoBattlEye -nosteamclient -game -server -log

start "Ragnarok transfer Test" /normal "E:\Steam Servers\Ark Survival Ragnarok\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" Ragnarok?listen?Port=7778?QueryPort=27016?MaxPlayers=70?AltSaveDirectoryName=Ragnarok? -clusterid=9999 -ClusterDirOverride="E:\Steam Servers\Data Folder" -NoBattlEye -nosteamclient -game -server -log

In ASM I have made sure that downloads and uploads have been enabled and I don't see what is stopping me from loading up the island map, going to a Obi and trying to transfer my character, there are just no sessions being shown.

Anyone got any ideas on why this is happening? And yes these are brand new folders, setup fresh.

1. Look at the log files to see if any errors are reported for the two maps.

2. Have you created the directory for your cluster?  E:\Steam Servers\Data Folder

3. https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup says to separate your port numbers by two:-  

start "The Island transfer Test" /normal "E:\Steam Servers\Ark Survival Island\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" TheIsland?listen?Port=7777?QueryPort=27015?MaxPlayers=70?AltSaveDirectoryName=TheIsland? -clusterid=9999 -ClusterDirOverride="E:\Steam Servers\Data Folder" -NoBattlEye -nosteamclient -game -server -log

start "Ragnarok transfer Test" /normal "E:\Steam Servers\Ark Survival Ragnarok\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" Ragnarok?listen?Port=7779?QueryPort=27016?MaxPlayers=70?AltSaveDirectoryName=Ragnarok? -clusterid=9999 -ClusterDirOverride="E:\Steam Servers\Data Folder" -NoBattlEye -nosteamclient -game -server -log

4. Forward port numbers 7777 to 7780, and 27015 to 27016 on your router

5. Test the maps individually to see if they work as stand-alone maps before trying to cluster them.

Let us know how you get on.

3 hours ago, DuoMog said:

1. Look at the log files to see if any errors are reported for the two maps.

Nothing there

2. Have you created the directory for your cluster?  E:\Steam Servers\Data Folder

Yes I have.

3. https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup says to separate your port numbers by two:-  

start "Ragnarok transfer Test" /normal "E:\Steam Servers\Ark Survival Ragnarok\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" Ragnarok?listen?Port=7779?QueryPort=27016?MaxPlayers=70?AltSaveDirectoryName=Ragnarok? -clusterid=9999 -ClusterDirOverride="E:\Steam Servers\Data Folder" -NoBattlEye -nosteamclient -game -server -log

The port numbers are separated.

4. Forward port numbers 7777 to 7780, and 27015 to 27016 on your router

Port forwarding is not a solution, considering that the servers show up in the lan list, the favourites and have been able to be played on for 2 years.

It is all down to transferring from one server to another, I have googled and from what I can tell, there is a major issue if the client is running on the same server as the maps.

5. Test the maps individually to see if they work as stand-alone maps before trying to cluster them.

Maps have been playable for 2 years.

Let us know how you get on.

The port numbers you gave in your original post were 7777 and 7778.  They need to be separated by two.  Use 7777 and 7779 instead. 

The problem with running the server and client on the same machine is usually a performance issue.  If you've been getting away with it, then it's obviously ok for you, but remember that running two servers at once will increase the demands on your memory and CPU.

I don't know if it matters, but you have a trailing question mark in your options and it's normal to use double quotes around your options.  Try this instead...

start "The Island transfer Test" /normal "E:\Steam Servers\Ark Survival Island\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" "TheIsland?listen?Port=7777?QueryPort=27015?MaxPlayers=70?AltSaveDirectoryName=TheIsland" -clusterid=9999 -ClusterDirOverride="E:\Steam Servers\Data Folder" -NoBattlEye -nosteamclient -game -server -log

start "Ragnarok transfer Test" /normal "E:\Steam Servers\Ark Survival Ragnarok\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" "Ragnarok?listen?Port=7779?QueryPort=27016?MaxPlayers=70?AltSaveDirectoryName=Ragnarok" -clusterid=9999 -ClusterDirOverride="E:\Steam Servers\Data Folder" -NoBattlEye -nosteamclient -game -server -log

1 hour ago, DuoMog said:

The port numbers you gave in your original post were 7777 and 7778.  They need to be separated by two.  Use 7777 and 7779 instead. 

Why does it have to separated by 2, I don't see how that alone would stop character transfers and allow everything else to still work. Where is the documentation that states this has to be separated by 2?

The problem with running the server and client on the same machine is usually a performance issue.  If you've been getting away with it, then it's obviously ok for you, but remember that running two servers at once will increase the demands on your memory and CPU.

I don't know if it matters, but you have a trailing question mark in your options and it's normal to use double quotes around your options.  Try this instead...

start "The Island transfer Test" /normal "E:\Steam Servers\Ark Survival Island\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" "TheIsland?listen?Port=7777?QueryPort=27015?MaxPlayers=70?AltSaveDirectoryName=TheIsland" -clusterid=9999 -ClusterDirOverride="E:\Steam Servers\Data Folder" -NoBattlEye -nosteamclient -game -server -log

start "Ragnarok transfer Test" /normal "E:\Steam Servers\Ark Survival Ragnarok\ShooterGame\Binaries\Win64\ShooterGameServer.exe" "Ragnarok?listen?Port=7779?QueryPort=27016?MaxPlayers=70?AltSaveDirectoryName=Ragnarok" -clusterid=9999 -ClusterDirOverride="E:\Steam Servers\Data Folder" -NoBattlEye -nosteamclient -game -server -log

The trailing ? was an error on my part when copying it here, I removed one option which has no baring on this issue, as a matter of transparency it was just the AllowCrateSpawnsontopOfStructures=False

As for it is normal to provide quotes, this cmd file is generated by ASM.

3 hours ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Why does it have to separated by 2,

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup

Look at the table underneath "Network".  When you specify (for example) 7777, Ark will also use the next port number (7778) without you specifying it.

UDP 7777 Game client port
UDP 7778 Raw UDP socket port (always Game client port +1)

So your second server has to use port 7779 (and implicitly, 7780) to avoid a clash of port numbers with the first server.

You've also said that portforwarding isn't an option.  This could be preventing your cluster from working.  See section 7 at the above link.

If you get your cluster working  without using portforwarding, please document your config here.  Lots of people would benefit from not having to change their router's config because some routers don't provide that option.

Finally: check your firewall settings.  Each map needs 3 ports (or 4 if using RCon) to be allowed through.

Keep in touch - I'd love to know what is preventing your maps from working and anything you find will help others in a similar situation.

10 hours ago, DuoMog said:

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup

Look at the table underneath "Network".  When you specify (for example) 7777, Ark will also use the next port number (7778) without you specifying it.

UDP 7777 Game client port
UDP 7778 Raw UDP socket port (always Game client port +1)

So your second server has to use port 7779 (and implicitly, 7780) to avoid a clash of port numbers with the first server.

Isn't that only for people who use Raw Sockets? I don't use Raw Sockets.

You've also said that portforwarding isn't an option.  This could be preventing your cluster from working.  See section 7 at the above link.

If you get your cluster working  without using portforwarding, please document your config here.  Lots of people would benefit from not having to change their router's config because some routers don't provide that option.

But the cluster is working, the only thing not working is I can't transfer my character.

Finally: check your firewall settings.  Each map needs 3 ports (or 4 if using RCon) to be allowed through.

Firewall is also not the issue, if it was other people would not be able to connect.

Keep in touch - I'd love to know what is preventing your maps from working and anything you find will help others in a similar situation.

My maps are working, at what point did you think they are not?

1 hour ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Isn't that only for people who use Raw Sockets? I don't use Raw Sockets.

I don't use raw sockets either, but Wireshark (a network monitoring utility) shows that the maps on my server are using port number +1. 

1 hour ago, CyberAngel67 said:

My maps are working, at what point did you think they are not?

Poor choice of words on my part.  

6 minutes ago, DuoMog said:

I don't use raw sockets either, but Wireshark (a network monitoring utility) shows that the maps on my server are using port number +1. 

So how would that only affect Transfer of a character, it doesn't affect transfer of items or dinos, doesn't affect the maps showing up in the join list.

But just to prove that what you have been saying all this time has no bearing on this issue, I changed the ports.

As I suspected, I still can not transfer a character to another map. I can transfer dino's, items and play any other map in the cluster.

So can we move on from the ports now.

I'm feeling your frustration Cyber.  I hope you understand that diagnosing issues remotely is tricky.  I'm trying to work through two sets of differences to help you find the issue - with incomplete information!

1.  Your config differs to the wiki's documentation in that you don't want to use port forwarding.

2. There are subtle differences between your setup and my setup.

While it might not seem logical or reasonable for me to persist with individual little things, like ports: if there is a difference, it *could* be the cause of the failure.  If you're not willing to try things, then there will become a time when we have to give up on the diagnosis.

Do you have any of the following lines in your ini files:-

PreventUploadSurvivors=True

PreventDownloadSurvivors=True

Do you get any messages when you try to upload a survivor?

11 minutes ago, DuoMog said:

I'm feeling your frustration Cyber.  I hope you understand that diagnosing issues remotely is tricky.  I'm trying to work through two sets of differences to help you find the issue - with incomplete information!

1.  Your config differs to the wiki's documentation in that you don't want to use port forwarding.

No I never said I didn't want to try it, I have an Open Nat and I shouldn't need to port forward. On top of that I have already tried port forwarding with it not making a difference. Could be I didn't set it up right, because I tried sites to see if the ports where open and they where blocked with and without forwarding.

2. There are subtle differences between your setup and my setup.

While it might not seem logical or reasonable for me to persist with individual little things, like ports: if there is a difference, it *could* be the cause of the failure.  If you're not willing to try things, then there will become a time when we have to give up on the diagnosis.

I am willing, not sure what gave you the idea I am not.

Do you have any of the following lines in your ini files:-

PreventUploadSurvivors=True

PreventDownloadSurvivors=True

Do you get any messages when you try to upload a survivor?

I haven't tried uploading, because no servers show up. I also have what ASM shows as being unticked for that.

So nothing is ticked, so that I can transfer across the cluster. But no one outside the cluster can transfer in.

I got a friend to test connecting to the servers, with which he said he can't connect. I tried checking to see if ports can be connected from outside and getting nowhere.

I might have been looking at the problem from the wrong angle because:

You said  port forwarding wasn't an option but you didn't say you had an open NAT AND you said the servers show up on the LAN list - which lead me to believe you were somehow working entirely on your own LAN.

ARK servers need to report into the Steam/Wildcard mothership.  So I think we're looking at a network config issue.

1.  Is your server's firewall open for all the port numbers you're using in the Ark configs 7777, 7778, 7779, 7780, 27015, 27016?

2. Is your NAT box also a firewall?  If so, are the ARK ports all open?

3. Is your NAT box also your access point to the internet, or do you have several boxes between the server and the internet?

I think your inability to transfer survivors through the cluster is related to what you said about your friend...

53 minutes ago, CyberAngel67 said:

I got a friend to test connecting to the servers, with which he said he can't connect.

7 minutes ago, DuoMog said:

I might have been looking at the problem from the wrong angle because:

You said  port forwarding wasn't an option but you didn't say you had an open NAT AND you said the servers show up on the LAN list - which lead me to believe you were somehow working entirely on your own LAN.

Well actually I said

Port forwarding is not a solution, considering that the servers show up in the lan list

It has been my experience that port forwarding would have been needed, if the servers didn't show up on the join list for the lan.

And I am working entirely on my own lan.

ARK servers need to report into the Steam/Wildcard mothership.  So I think we're looking at a network config issue.

1.  Is your server's firewall open for all the port numbers you're using in the Ark configs 7777, 7778, 7779, 7780, 27015, 27016?

Yes, I am using ASM and it does this for me.

2. Is your NAT box also a firewall?  If so, are the ARK ports all open?

No.

3. Is your NAT box also your access point to the internet, or do you have several boxes between the server and the internet?

Yes the Nat Box is the access point (gateway).

3 minutes ago, DuoMog said:

I'm struggling now.  My gut feeling is that you need to setup port forwarding.

And I think you would be right, I added it again and it didn't work. When I went back to edit the rule, I noticed something really weird with the rule.

So I decided to make a rule for each server and bingo, the servers showed up in the list.

Even though the Nat-LoopBack rule said I could define a port range, it appears the modem doesn't work with a port range.

So I really thank you for sticking with me on this.

3 hours ago, CyberAngel67 said:

And I think you would be right, I added it again and it didn't work. When I went back to edit the rule, I noticed something really weird with the rule.

So I decided to make a rule for each server and bingo, the servers showed up in the list.

Even though the Nat-LoopBack rule said I could define a port range, it appears the modem doesn't work with a port range.

So I really thank you for sticking with me on this.

I'd almost given up.  My next suggestion would have been on the borderline of fantasy ?

Archived