Dino Cap.. and the silence from WC

Super Fab

WC could implement limits on active players on a server. There is only a finite amount of space/tame limit. Too many PvE players not enough servers (WC too cheap to open more).

Something like a PvPvE hybrid server type might help. With weekend or timed PvP. But I really doubt WC won't spend money to open more servers.

The root problem (beside human mature) is that PvE quickly stops being a survival game. No threats. Add the challenge back to PvE. Like the old Bush people mod or tribes from Extinction core mod or base attack events. Give PvE players a reason to build defenses.    

It's like ecology. What happens if the death rate drops and birth rate increases? population skyrockets. For real life humans the earth will eventually reach a carrying capacity. But population density centers are key locations for the spread of diseases. Nature's way of keeping populations in check.

Maybe add dino age..And death for old age.

Maybe add diseases.

Maybe add insanity for dinos that stand around and do nothing.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Purge would be a cool idea for a specialty server but thats about it.

On regular servers it could be abused to no end. I can cap a server on purpose with rafts after i bring my raiding dinos over in the middle of the night and kill to my hearts content. And if i only have 3 dinos on that server(mateboost gigas and a rick ele) since  im not "ritch" therefore my dinos cannot be hurt but i can attack large tribes without much of any threat to myself.

Just one of the many ways it would be a terrible system. But in a sad twist of fate cap wouldn't be an issue anymore because nobody would play the exploited mess that official pve would become.

1 hour ago, ishootpaint said:

Well first and foremost the whole purge idea has a 0% chance of ever happening in the first place for many reasons.

Second of all unless you are given your stuff for free you are talking about peoples hard work that takes IRL time to do. Im already taxed in my real life, why would i play a game that taxes me there too. For the sole reason that i stated day 1 of the new cluster.

And i am taxed by having alot of tames, they dont feed themselves and generators dont run on hopes and dreams.

yep I get it, that's why you play PVE. and that's why you have server cap...

43 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

PvE mode doesn't really belong on official servers. The game wasn't  designed for it.  Just turning off PvP, doesn't really make a proper PvE game. My opinion is that PvE, belongs in the unofficial world and not on official servers.

2 hours ago, Melcreif said:

When have you ever seen me complain about cap or really anything on these forums. Ive always tried to share insight as to how my tribe still funtions even when half our servers bounce off cap every weekend.

Don't go and get all defenseive because I pointed out common sense and logic to a proposed "fix" for tame cap thats nothing more than a fringe pipe dream.

I play PVE ark because ark is a game i can relax and play after a hectic day of work, or to take a break from the PVP games i do play like Escape from tarkov, arma 3, dayz etc.

Dont pretend like your sitting on some magic solution that will fix cap. Even the suggestions i make, i always admit it wont be enough alone but a step forward. Done beating a dead horse now.

8 minutes ago, ishootpaint said:

When have you ever seen me complain about cap or really anything on these forums. Ive always tried to share insight as to how my tribe still funtions even when half our servers bounce off cap every weekend.

Don't go and get all defenseive because I pointed out common sense and logic to a proposed "fix" for tame cap thats nothing more than a fringe pipe dream.

I play PVE ark because ark is a game i can relax and play after a hectic day of work, or to take a break from the PVP games i do play like Escape from tarkov, arma 3, dayz etc.

Dont pretend like your sitting on some magic solution that will fix cap. Even the suggestions i make, i always admit it wont be enough alone but a step forward. Done beating a dead horse now.

Dude chill, I wasn't getting offended just stating a fact LOL.

1 hour ago, Aylana314159 said:

PvE mode doesn't really belong on official servers. The game wasn't  designed for it.  Just turning off PvP, doesn't really make a proper PvE game. My opinion is that PvE, belongs in the unofficial world and not on official servers.

I couldnl't agree more.  I've tried playing on official PVE servers and they are just aweful. I can't imagine how anyone endures with that nightmare.

1 hour ago, Melcreif said:

Dude chill, I wasn't getting offended just stating a fact LOL.

Sorry, when i end a sentence in ... Im being facetious since thats what it means. Puncuation is very important when tone of voice cant be used. But i respect your opinion even tho i dont agree with it.

But on a constuctive note to the thread. We need a kibble rework and zero tolerance for alt tribes on the same server. Those two things would atleast make a noticeable difference and hopefully cryo storage would help even more..... And maybe a new boss type arena for pve tribes to fight each other for a reward. I like to have off the wall ideas sometimes too lol.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but here’s what I know about the Cryo Chamber and how it’ll help:

To start, it is in fact TEK. This means it won’t be accessible for everyone but it makes sense. It’s super sci-fi.

Secondly, you start with a building (like cloning chamber) but dinos are put in item form within it.

These cubes WILL slowly decay in a player’s inventory, BUT they do not when kept in the storage built-into the freezing chamber. I may be wrong but I’m pretty sure dinos can be kept indefinitely this way.

There will certainly be a storage limit but this will probably ease a lot of the tame cap problem and mega-tribes can use these instead of finding servers to dump dinos on, because they can probably afford to have large complexes for this. They may still use “dump servers” with many cryochambers, but at least it won’t count towards tame cap.

It won’t solve the ENTIRE problem, but it should help to at least leave enough space to take stuff most times.

Alternatively, they still count towards tame cap and are effectively useless except for space (still helps with giant storage barns and lag I bet)

Just in case I sent an email asking about it for the ARK Digest. We’ll see if they answer on the 20th.

EDIT: Thought I might add they’re working on a cooldown so dinos are “confused” and cannot be used for a few minutes after being released from cryo Chambers so they cannot be used for dino bombing raids. I imagine people might worry about that (I did too before I read the whole article on Extinction)

It still might be possible if said dinos can hide or tank for that time (anywhere from 2-12 mins I expect) but it probably won’t be effective aside from blocking stuff off. However each pod probably has a cost to freeze dinos so this may be too expensive to use.

56 minutes ago, ArkRage said:

Pve or pvp you still have to breed for bosses. Maybe if people actually did them the servers wouldn't be at cap.

But most official PvE players don't "finish" the game and move on. They get attached to pixel. Then just log in to keep feeding stuff.

Guest DJRone89

The devs should just remove the caps altogether. You can’t complain about the dino cap when your server keeps crashing.

7 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

The devs should just remove the caps altogether. You can’t complain about the dino cap when your server keeps crashing.

I agree. lol

Let the server keep crashing for weeks until people's Dino's begin to despawn. Force the playerbase to micro manage the tames or everyone loses everything. 

Then again trolls will tame just to push the server to crash. 

Wonder if they removed pin codes and the ability for alliance members to build within another alliances tribes proximity, if people would be less inclined to make alliance tribes to hoard more Dino's. 

1 minute ago, BertNoobians said:

devs answer: x2 breeding and taming event this weekend.
that means all servers will be tamecapped very tight starting friday evening.

Those events are mostly pointless for PvE, unless players have tame slots reserved. But people still beg for them. The rates could go back to the old 1x.

Suggestion: remove rafts from the count and have rafts be a separate count.

tldr, you should read it but its, about the dino point system, breed for colors and kill dads to keep cap low, bring back op bosses, cause of the point system, server issues, and a solution they should have done if they wanted more money without extra work.

They basically ruined there game when the removed the dino point system, cause they didn't want speeder pteras which was fun but idiots were either getting stuck in bases or doing it on purpose so in reality besides wc changing things the community at the time couldn't keep a good thing quiet without ruining it by flying into bases...or posting things on the forums cause they are just debbie downers.0

I think it should come back tbh it was actually fun and it removes the need in breeding (hoarding dinos) for stats and leaves it to colors, stats of point based dinos should still cross over to babies.  

You tried to keep us in the game by making this giant breed wall that seems almost endless and you need countless dino's for this crap just cause you don't want us having op dinos in the point system.  You can't have it both ways, bring it back make the bosses op (solves the issue a bit) and use breeding for colors and point xfers from boosted dinos that are breeding. 1 mother 1 father 1 baby, kill father, breed mother, baby, rinse repeat, no handicaps from inter breeding. (this is a game not reality)  

^This is the only solution or boot everyone off official so when they visit unofficials they get pissed at owners using the cheat system feeling things are unfair cause someone on the server can at anytime do anything, this is the majority of why I and others haven't moved from official, official is fair balanced, unofficial is not.(there is not but i am a good server owner, doesn't matter that issue is in the back of peoples mind regardless if you use cheats or not.)

But whatever i am telling you people are dropping like flies from the game you see it we see it and you i guess want that to happen, even with the new dlc coming out.  Not here to sugar coat it for your sensitive emotions, this is reality, bring it back, people stay, they will fix the dino issue themselves issue resolved till tribes hit caps (or server does again) there are obviously too many people per server if this is the issue, i guess you just need more servers and not a partition of 1 server to make it 3 unless this can be down without hitting cap and introducing lag of 200+ ping, actual servers, yup it costs $ but you are about to get some more from the dlc so yea... no issue unless you just want more $ with the current system.  If that is the case you should have made the robot dinos a paid for option, specifying that we need $ to continue to stabilize and sort the dino cap issues, we do not have enough servers to fill the need of players this money will go to new servers for you guys and gals so that this issue is alleviated. 

I think they should do a per player tame cap so if there servers hold 70 ppl but they have 100 ppl signed to that server then out of that 100 you are only allowed to game x number of dinos where once all 100 ppl get that many dinos that server would be capped but since having say 50 tame per person then you know your all your allowed to have is 50 dino so you have to prioritize what dinos you want and what's most useful for you and what your trying to accomplish 

That would be great but the breeding system is still the issue, if you can't breed stats you can't progress, I've been stuck 1 year and a half because of the dino cap.  Move to single player because i don't have to deal with any issues, i realize re-thinking my post about the dino point system introduces issues in pvp, well then there should be two systems in place for the two different options, if you removed pve, pvp mega tribes will ruin your game absolutely, how can people progress then?  You locked your selves up with this 1 system to rule them all, two different options two different systems, there is no way around it.

It always seems to come back to unmanned or under paid situations in my eyes, seems like a few are doing the work of many, start complaining then..I know what it means but sacrifices have to be made for changes to be made.

If you decide to keep the 1 system for both, make it so the colors are easily interchangeable or an option (machine) the mutation station where we give resources to the machine to xfer which color we want for which section of the dino and we can do this to all of the sections on 1 dino to re-eliminate a need in the breeding wall having both adds more dinos to the issue.

There is a lot of take but no giving.

@turtle59 Yea(slightly agree) ^pointed out a small issue above about this.  The other thing is, last i've known about, easy to figure out if you add a server ip to the steam list you will see 3 servers pop up meaning 1 ip is hosting 3 servers, this server has 1 cap limit (who knows what that number is) that cap limit has to be divided by 3, then you have to put a lock on how many players/users login that server (think FTP access).  So lets say the dino cap limit is 100 per 10 users on each of the 3 servers, 30 users max across 3 "servers" x 100, is a 3000 dino cap limit, so only 10 people can be logged in on each server at anytime and my suggestion even though it being a possible bad one is to lock out each server after it hits the 10 user mark no new users are allowed on the server till one is erased by the timing system already in place.(determined time-frame) or the 8 day limit you lose everything if you haven't logged in before the 8 days, means 1 slot on the server is available, new users can get in make a tribe hit the limit and everyone is happy.

But how does 10 users per server look to you? like a dead game doesn't it? also how can this be exploited? to further ruin the game, these are probably issues they already encountered, maybe this ftp access came up? if not i suggest they look into it, seems to work, at the moment you are allowing countless users per server, which adds to the issue of the cap.

I do think the tame cap is higher but for all i know nobody has found the exact limit number per server which i suppose if we did we could attempt to help with the issues if they were more transparent, then again they would be divulging the inner workings of their system and idk what complications arise from doing that especially under a contract.

In-case anyone can't tell i like to type a lot, got a lot on the mind, reading is good thou.

Server Login in = tribe user amount login, so if a tribe has 10 users is counts as 1 login (some decent coding probably has to be done to make this a thing.)  If user is removed from the tribe someone in another tribe can pick him/her up if not they get booted from the server with a message of, "please join another server user limit has been reached".)

PvE really does improve when you install mods. However the problem with too many mods is, that connection time while loading in the game. Also this game needs more purpose. Building simulator only goes so far, before you realize that the survival part of the game isn't really there anymore. Even caves and boss runs become farmable soon enough. How about some more arks that don't involve building, but rather fighting? Also how about working on pathing and AI for a change? I know that Unreal Engine 4 supports it.

Guest DJRone89

I know people have mentioned the devs adding in more diseases that affect dinos but even then it wouldn’t affect the dinos that are kept solely for storage.

Adding in a revised kibble system will only delay the process but would still help the current situation.

End of the day, the caps exist because of performance issues because no mater what hardware they use, it can only sustain so much. Caps will remain an issue as long as people are actively playing on a server.

here's an idea, single player storage

when my internet went out for a while i got bored & missed ark so i went on single player for a bit and while playing it came to me, wouldn't it be great if i could store my official dinos here till i needed them and be able to move stuff back and forth when needed

the single player storage game/server/don't know what to call it would have to be set the same as official servers with admin commands turned off (maybe let us carry wild dinos) 

i have more to add but i have to go out, will continue my ramblings later

17 minutes ago, GrumpyBear said:

If they added hoppers like in Minecraft so I could auto collect eggs into fridges, I would unload over half my kibble dinos.

It's called the S+ item collector.

S+ also released a new tek kibble dino storage/egg laying structure.

The promised S+ integration into base game seems like false hope.

Archived