Is this a fair punishment?

Rohun

3 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

And the thief chose to leave his griffin there to get blocked in, that makes that fair game in my mind since he was trespassing, but the COC says otherwise.  You have a bad rule written to protect a thief. 

And the OP wasn't crying about the eggs getting stolen, he is talking about the thief trying to use the Code of Conduct against him because he detained the guys griffin in his own base. 

They're clearly QQing about his eggs being taken on the sign. Blocking in a dino affects game play where taking an egg off the ground does not. You are missing the point here. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Foxiefyre said:

They're clearly QQing about his eggs being taken on the sign. Blocking in a dino affects game play where taking an egg off the ground does not. You are missing the point here. 

You are missing the point in that the thief should have never entered the base in the first place, the guy clearly has gates up around the base for a reason.  On top of that the OP's friend wasn't even going to hold the griffin indefinitely, he was making a point to the thief.  Lets just spam down the server by having tons and tons of enclosed buildings because thats what you have to do to avoid entitled thieves from dropping down from the sky and stealing anything not nailed down.  BOOHOO my griffin got impounded because I took something from another player that didn't belong to me.

2 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

You are missing the point in that the thief should have never entered the base in the first place, the guy clearly has gates up around the base for a reason.  On top of that the OP's friend wasn't even going to hold the griffin indefinitely, he was making a point to the thief.  Lets just spam down the server by having tons and tons of enclosed buildings because thats what you have to do to avoid entitled thieves from dropping down from the sky and stealing anything not nailed down.  BOOHOO my griffin got impounded because I took something from another player that didn't belong to me.

In closed building dont lag servers much. Where as in bases with behemoth gates does. Also gates only are put up to protect from wild dinos or kiting. If you truly want protection make a God damn box. Also technically that KIBBLE egg belongs to whoever since it wasn't bred. Just like if you find them in wild. Sounds like OP and his friend are over reacting to the situation. And no the thief isnt hiding behind the CoC. He didnt break it. The other person did. The simple solution here is to box in the dinos. 

1 hour ago, Foxiefyre said:

Like I said.. stuff has changed recently.. I mean people on se had to stop bringing golems for people to tame at their bases due to the griefing changes. If you are caught with enough proof you can get banned. 

I wiped a lot of trashs players for that, by killing every tamed dinos and tames. They can change the rules i will not stop (anyway i don't care if my char is banned cuz we loose them every rollback lol). It's to Wildcard to move their millionaire's buttocks by finding news solutions. They are punishing for nothing now cuz they are to lazy to find a good way for everyone. 

Why just not bound the eggs/fertilized to the tribe and make sure no one can take them for exemple?

I don't know why i'm proposing suggestions cuz Wildcard never listen the community. BFA come soon on WoW anyway >>> road to glad

6 hours ago, RipRavage said:

If this is PVE and and something like trapping a thief can get you banned they need to change it so fertilized eggs can’t be picked up by others.  How do you make it so that you cant snag other people’s tames that they are working on or kite dinos into them to ruin the tame, but stealing a fertilized egg somebody may have paid lots of resources for is fine, that’s just stupid.  You are basically protecting some jerk that is robbing this guy with literally no chance of retaliation.  It’s not like the punisher went into the thief’s base and griefed, he did it in his own base.  Crap like this is why I’m glad I play single player.

or people can just take some personal responsibility and protect them.

3 hours ago, RipRavage said:

if the op is so precious about his eggs why doesnt he put in the effort to protect them...like everyone  else in the game? its personal responsibility and this is a survival game not pre-school.

5 hours ago, RipRavage said:

And the thief chose to leave his griffin there to get blocked in, that makes that fair game in my mind since he was trespassing, but the COC says otherwise.  You have a bad rule written to protect a thief. 

And the OP wasn't crying about the eggs getting stolen, he is talking about the thief trying to use the Code of Conduct against him because he detained the guys griffin in his own base. 

Because it's against the CoC. 

Nothing justify going against the CoC. You might get lighter punishment, but that's it. You can go to his base and steal his eggs if you want. 

14 hours ago, RipRavage said:

And just so you know I do play single player, Im just pointing out that PVE is not intended for competitive play.  Theres a mode for that, its called PVP.

Nooo... PVE is all about competition against other players.  Competition for living space, competition for resources, competition in the marketplace, competition for breeding slots... the list goes on and on.  The only major difference from PVP servers is the ability to attack other players and their tames and even that can be waived by a mutual declaration of war.

I don't know why this has become a point of discussion as the situation is clear cut.  The OP violated the games current Code of Conduct, the other party did not.  If a GM becomes involved the OP will not be happy with how things turn out, especially since the GM (and those of us in this thread) have seen no proof of anything the OP has accused.  The only verifiable fact will be the evidence that the other persons mount has been blocked in.

This is especially true in the case of unfertilized eggs, which by their very nature cannot be claimed by anyone other than by locking them up in a container or place that does not allow public access.  Obviously that is not the case in this situation.

So folks can debate coulda, shoulda, and woulda all they like in this thread... it doesn't change the facts as they currently stand.  My advice to the OP would be to unblock the mount (and start securing your kibble eggs) before you get yourself in trouble.

12 minutes ago, Ranger1 said:

Nooo... PVE is all about competition against other players.  Competition for living space, competition for resources, competition in the marketplace, competition for breeding slots... the list goes on and on.  The only major difference from PVP servers is the ability to attack other players and their tames and even that can be waived by a mutual declaration of war.

I don't know why this has become a point of discussion as the situation is clear cut.  The OP violated the games current Code of Conduct, the other party did not.  If a GM becomes involved the OP will not be happy with how things turn out, especially since the GM (and those of us in this thread) have seen no proof of anything the OP has accused.  The only verifiable fact will be the evidence that the other persons mount has been blocked in.

This is especially true in the case of unfertilized eggs, which by their very nature cannot be claimed by anyone other than by locking them up in a container or place that does not allow public access.  Obviously that is not the case in this situation.

So folks in this thread can debate coulda, shoulda, and woulda all they like in this thread... it doesn't change the facts as they currently stand.  My advice would be to unblock the mount (and start securing your kibble eggs) before you get yourself in trouble.

I literally have the definition for PVE right here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_versus_environment

You are entitled to your opinion just as I am, but if the mode is called PVE then it’s purpose is just that.

Clearly since wild card even wrote up a code of conduct means that they realized people were ruining the mode for other people and not playing as intended.  PVE isn’t for tryhard competition, it a mode for people that can’t PVP that still want to play the game with others, and it doesn’t look good for the health and toxicity of that environment when rules are put up to help people that got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Like I said before, I highly doubt they wrote the blocking rule for people trespassing in other people’s bases, but hey if they did lets keep adding more rules to make PVE just as toxic as PVP and hurt the player base, I’m sure that will help extend this game’s lifespan.

13 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

You are entitled to your opinion just as I am, but if the mode is called PVE then it’s purpose is just that.

Clearly since wild card even wrote up a code of conduct means that they realized people were ruining the mode for other people and not playing as intended.  PVE isn’t for tryhard competition, it a mode for people that can’t PVP that still want to play the game with others, and it doesn’t look good for the health and toxicity of that environment when rules are put up to help people that got caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Like I said before, I highly doubt they wrote the blocking rule for people trespassing in other people’s bases, but hey if they did lets keep adding more rules to make PVE just as toxic as PVP and hurt the player base, I’m sure that will help extend this game’s lifespan.

You are just being salty now. There never was a multiplayer PvE that was not based on competition and aiming to have a monopole in some form to gain from others while others try to chip away your monopole. Whether it is from market dominance or points ranking. 

35 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

Even though that's a simple Wikipedia definition (sidenote: Never a good choice if your trying to make a serious point) you should probably read it a bit more closely before you try to use it as debunking evidence.

It specifically states that the main defining characteristics of "most" PVE games is that you cannot be killed by other players (check), and that you cannot have your possessions stolen by other players (again check, as unsecured unfertilized eggs are not owned by anyone).  Of special note in that definition is the distinct lack of any refutation (or even mention) of the specific gameplay area's that I mentioned as being highly competitive in ARK PVE gameplay (competition for living space, resources, market activities, breeding slots, etc).  Then, of course, the definition goes on to list a couple of the many notable exceptions to the general guidelines it presents... including EVE Online which is often discussed as having a number of strong similarities to ARK already.

We aren't discussing opinion here.  Current PVE guidelines for ARK are well known and clear cut in this matter.  

If the OP could prove that the mount was long term abandoned in his base to specifically to impede his gameplay it "might" be different.  If the OP could prove that somehow his "property" was taken it might be different... but of course is wasn't.  Right now all we (or the GM) has is the OP's story of what happened.  Apparently some folks are of the opinion that no proof is ever required in a dispute, it's just a matter of who posts a thread about it first.  While that would certainly simplify things, the GMs can't operate that way... nor should they.

The rules are clear and proof is required before action is taken.  Things are done this way to protect the player base as a whole, including the OP, from players that would perhaps make claims like "I broke the rules, but only because this other guy broke them first.  No, I have no proof but you have to take my word for it because I posted on the forums about it".

I think that if you pause for a second and give some thought to the matter you'll realize why this is the case.

19 minutes ago, Paroxyde said:

You are just being salty now. There never was a multiplayer PvE that was not based on competition and aiming to have a monopole in some form to gain from others while others try to chip away your monopole. Whether it is from market dominance or points ranking. 

If I was being salty I would have simply suggested the OP kite some dinos to kill the griffin and then move to an unnoficial server with admins with common sense.  The point of the mode isn’t the cancerous competition BS everyone wants to spew, that’s just how it turned out because a bunch of PvPers with bad aim wanna pretend to be alpha on a server that protects them from getting shot.  They banned kiting because it was scummy, perhaps this will get attention one day too.

8 minutes ago, Ranger1 said:

Even though that's a simple Wikipedia definition (sidenote: Never a good choice if your trying to make a serious point) you should probably read it a bit more closely before you try to use it as debunking evidence.

It specifically states that the main defining characteristics of "most" PVE games is that you cannot be killed by other players (check), and that you cannot have your possessions stolen by other players (again check, as unsecured unfertilized eggs are not owned by anyone).  Of special note in that definition is the distinct lack of any refutation (or even mention) of the specific gameplay area's that I mentioned as being highly competitive in ARK PVE gameplay (competition for living space, resources, market activities, breeding slots, etc).  Then, of course, the definition goes on to list a couple of the many notable exceptions to the general guidelines it presents... including EVE Online which is often discussed as having a number of strong similarities to ARK already.

We aren't discussing opinion here.  Current PVE guidelines for ARK are well known and clear cut in this matter.  

If the OP could prove that the mount was long term abandoned in his base to specifically to impede his gameplay it "might" be different.  If the OP could prove that somehow his "property" was taken it might be different... but of course is wasn't.  Right now all we (or the GM) has is the OP's story of what happened.  Apparently some folks are of the opinion that no proof is ever required in a dispute, it's just a matter of who posts a thread about it first.  While that would certainly simplify things, the GMs can't operate that way... nor should they.

The rules are clear and proof is required before action is taken.  Things are done this way to protect the player base as a whole, including the OP, from players that would perhaps make claims like "I broke the rules, but only because this other guy broke them first.  No, I have no proof but you have to take my word for it because I posted on the forums about it".

I think that if you pause for a second and give some thought to the matter you'll realize why this is the case.

I didn’t read a single thing on that wiki article that matched “PVE is all about competition with other players” as you stated.

47 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

I didn’t read a single thing on that wiki article that matched “PVE is all about competition with other players” as you stated.

And I haven't read a single thing in this thread that shows how the several aspects of PVE gameplay already referenced are in fact not competitive.

Anecdotal as it may be, I personally have never played any multiplayer PVE game that didn't have some sort of competitive element going on between the players, even if it's something as simple as competing to see who can get to the best drops/cache's/equipment first.  I rather doubt that I am alone in that.

In Ark, the only type of gameplay that isn't competitive in some way is single player.

So many responses talking about stealing fertilized eggs, which is irrelevant, as if you read the OP, the 'offender' was stealing unfertilized kibble eggs.

If you're not keeping your kibble dinos in a building, they're going to get swiped.

"I shouldn't have to keep my dinos in a building, etc." You say... I shouldn't have to lock my doors either, but I live in the real world.

If you leave your tames outside in an oversized PvE base and absolutely without a shadow of a doubt expect that no one will come by and snatch some eggs, then I think you need to have something about yourself examined.

Honestly, if you don't want anything stolen, you'll need to have your tames in a barn. Yes, the trouble you went through to build your entire base so that wild animals can't get in ( though they may just spawn in anyways if you're one of those people with colossal space-taking bases) then you should go through the added trouble of keeping valuables that anyone can just leisurely pick up in a barn. Doing things like this is just petty and yes - they should get you penalized. 

What I'm saying: Stahpet...its st00pit...

This is one of several reasons why I don't play official servers.

My opinion would be if they are inside your base, then they would need to ask. They chose to land inside your gates, it's your base where you have building permissions. Especially since it sounds like the OP was online. And you left a sign, so you attempted communication .Official servers are a bit ridiculous, but building full enclosures are the only way to really prevent this.

17 hours ago, RipRavage said:

It is, only you can tame it at this point, it is for all intents and purposes yours, find me one post by wildcard where it is stated that it is fair game to kite aggressive dinos into a downed dino.

In my opinion the CoC should protect anyone in this situation, If a player is to knock out a tame and begin his taming then by all accounts the tame is the players who started the process and if someone other is to grief this player by ruining the process or stopping it for their advantage by kiting or other means, this is the correct place for the CoC in terms of griefing and punishment dealt accordingly. (This is just my opinion)

10 hours ago, Ranger1 said:

So folks can debate coulda, shoulda, and woulda all they like in this thread... it doesn't change the facts as they currently stand.  My advice to the OP would be to unblock the mount (and start securing your kibble eggs) before you get yourself in trouble.

My intention for this post wasn't to challenge the CoC in any form and what should be done about it, however there have been some interesting points made by everyone that has posted in this topic maybe someone with enough authority can look into it as suggestions or something to implement somethings someone may have suggested?. I just wanted to know as a human aside from the CoC (which i didn't know would be in breach) if this was fair punishment this also includes the question for fertilized eggs or not, it's just plain and simple do you think this was a fair punishment for a thief regardless of his crime done by a crime he did commit. (I personally think it was a fair punishment granted it's just a game)

To @Ranger1 I'd like to point out that no where i have stated that im the one breaching the CoC in any form, maybe im a accomplice for documenting it and sort of agreeing to it but you are mistaken, im not the one imprisoning the tame and leaving a wonderful message to the thief.

Now if any moderator feels this topic is getting out of hand and is no longer a calm opinionated topic, you are free to lock this thread.

Thanks to everyone for sharing some knowledge and a interesting read. 

Regards,

Rohan

3 hours ago, Rohun said:

In my opinion the CoC should protect anyone in this situation, If a player is to knock out a tame and begin his taming then by all accounts the tame is the players who started the process and if someone other is to grief this player by ruining the process or stopping it for their advantage by kiting or other means, this is the correct place for the CoC in terms of griefing and punishment dealt accordingly. (This is just my opinion)

My intention for this post wasn't to challenge the CoC in any form and what should be done about it, however there have been some interesting points made by everyone that has posted in this topic maybe someone with enough authority can look into it as suggestions or something to implement somethings someone may have suggested?. I just wanted to know as a human aside from the CoC (which i didn't know would be in breach) if this was fair punishment this also includes the question for fertilized eggs or not, it's just plain and simple do you think this was a fair punishment for a thief regardless of his crime done by a crime he did commit. (I personally think it was a fair punishment granted it's just a game)

To @Ranger1 I'd like to point out that no where i have stated that im the one breaching the CoC in any form, maybe im a accomplice for documenting it and sort of agreeing to it but you are mistaken, im not the one imprisoning the tame and leaving a wonderful message to the thief.

Now if any moderator feels this topic is getting out of hand and is no longer a calm opinionated topic, you are free to lock this thread.

Thanks to everyone for sharing some knowledge and a interesting read. 

Regards,

Rohan

Punishment would be making an alt, inside him and use C4 to blow his base and dinos when only he is online and play dumb the next day. They have no way of tracing c4 kills. Then he pillars up his spot and build a wall and write on a wall sign : "Told you to not touch my eggs". Use alt to drag them to a cage (built by main or an other alt) in front of the sign and put alt inside to simulate innocence. 

Where is the fun in just trapping one dino? 

Either way, he already infringed CoC, might as well go to the end. 

24 minutes ago, Paroxyde said:

Punishment would be making an alt, inside him and use C4 to blow his base and dinos when only he is online and play dumb the next day. They have no way of tracing c4 kills. Then he pillars up his spot and build a wall and write on a wall sign : "Told you to not touch my eggs". Use alt to drag them to a cage (built by main or an other alt) in front of the sign and put alt inside to simulate innocence. 

Where is the fun in just trapping one dino? 

Either way, he already infringed CoC, might as well go to the end. 

I like how we all turn to “Well if I’m going to fight I might as well win” mentality.

6sfM.gif

On 8/5/2018 at 10:31 AM, Rohun said:

Just out of curiosity what's the consequences of violating the CoC in this particular situation ?

Nothing will take them a few weeks to process the Fact that you broke the rules and by then the person that did it will most likely have forgot all about the ticket and go on his way, and even if a dev dose see it they will most likely say "We are looking into it, we can not tell you what we are doing because its about another player, and then that will be the end of it, Now how ever if they are a twitch streamer or someone on youtube doing videos about it then you will get the wipe most likely but for the most part the "Rules of ark" are what they are just words that someone put in place to make you feel safer in the video game witch no one intends to enforce unless there is a chance that it could effect future customers 

Speaking as someone who has multiple bases and a base with over 450 animals, It’s the animals themselves that cause most of my lag.  I have two bases on two different servers in the same spot,  one base is empty and other completely full.    The base with no animals has awesome FPS and the one with over 400 is crippled.   Don’t worry about a building,  it’s your dinos that are killing you FPS.

Archived