PVE servers becomming a dead wasteland: This is why

Azmeaiel

There is a massive problem on pve servers that has seen very little address from devs and when reported see's no response whatsoever. 

Currently look through most PVE servers and they are capped so new users are met with servers on which they first cannot build, and thencannot tame because all pve servers are 'tame capped' this gives new players a terrible first experience of the ark game in general not tomention the players that build and attempt to raise dinos full time there.

On most PVE servers, you will currently find this:

4-5 very active players that play full time on server and use it as home base.

several very large, tribes that hardly ever play on the server and have 1000's of dinosaurs in a single base due to using multiple accounts. Note, these tribes do not activly play, only store dinosaurs

30-40 thatch huts, usually with 1tame, abandoned as soon as the single slot the big tribes were using to incubate eggs was taken and the 'server full' message comes up on the next tame, leaving it unused with orp to decay over a week later.

THE PROBLEM

Its not the big active tribes - they generally play the game as intended and when they become inactive, their space and slots become available to new players.

Its not the pillars - unless someone is blocking players building these generally cannot be managed without a lot of activity from the tribe, full servers are also generally unplayable due to tame cap.

its not the new players and their 40 huts and single dodos - their just trying to experience your game.

the big problem is what we are all starting to call 'dumper tribes' . Basically, once a tribe has reached its tribe tame limit, or is on a server that has reached its tame cap, instead of culling their dinos they make it the problem of another server, usually building a box base, a transmitter, a feeding trough and simply spamming that server with dinosaurs untill it is full, once tribe is full, they get an alt, make another tribe and start spamming more dinos onto server usually into the same structure, these players do not use the dinos, do not play on that server, they simply transfer their problem and whn there are enough tribes doing this 9as we are seeing 4-5 per server especially in oceanic regions) the server becomes dominated by a few large inactive storage tribes with very few actual active players. Without free slots to play the game as intended ie/being able to tame, breed dinos, the active players then also stop playing, basically leaving servers dino capped and dead. Just storage for large tribes who only log on to refresh building timer and feed.

These tribes also go out of their way to exploit to gain slots too, opening1 slot in overcapped server, mass breeding mammals so the server goes over-cap limit when they are born. residents then lose slots as they cull dinos to try and breed or hatch eggs, or tame. - Slot mining

Another method we have seen is to use popular name of 123 , port into a server through teleport, spam dinos into any available space and port out again before server registers name. There are players doing this every 20 mins for 18 hours straight to fill slots and grief active servers. - Server Flooding

If this method of exploit and server storage goes on unchecked in pve where esentially these mass produced dinosaurs are never culled you will eventually end up with dead mass storage servers where all players simply log in once a week to feed and refresh timers. It is happening already and cap exploits need to be fixed to limit them.  Look at some storage tribes of almost 1k dinos where every player has under 7 hours in the 4 months they have played on a server.  This will soon kill pve for us all.

I have a tribe doing this on my server they have a few bases over the map that cause extreme lag cause they are jam packed. The buildings regularly go down to just before the dinos would auto decay as the players only come on to feed maybe once or twice a week. The knock on effect is extreme hostility to new players. When they have 1 dodo.

47 minutes ago, Aribohs said:

I have a tribe doing this on my server they have a few bases over the map that cause extreme lag cause they are jam packed. The buildings regularly go down to just before the dinos would auto decay as the players only come on to feed maybe once or twice a week. The knock on effect is extreme hostility to new players. When they have 1 dodo.

This exactly, it seems to be at the moment a very serious yet unadressed problem for new players and actual 'resident' tribes who play on server activley.

2 hours ago, btb556 said:

It would be nice to have servers where you were allowed 3 tames - that's it. Pve ones with boosted rates. Of course, there is the alt issue, but it would be better than before. Of course, then everyone would blow up at wildcard for not enough tames on these servers... :Jerbmad:

Notame servers exist, but really there would be no point for pve.

I agree. The 'fresh' PVE center server I was on for months became abandoned by me and ny tribemates because of Chinese dumpers, who tried ever so diligently to shove as many off the sever as they possibly could by starting multiple pillar wars. There were 4-5 tribes building together as an alliance. Large barns full of dodos. Large empty barns we knew were going to be full once xfers dropped. It's a waste for WC to have even invested on these servers to begin with. What a effing shame it is. Tamed capped now. 

I'd like to see PvE servers being allocated to small clusters - 1 of each map - this would go a long way to reducing the capped servers as the large tribes using other servers to store tames would be reduced to their own cluster - also remove ORP from PvE so the "stored" dinos (IME 95% of these are left in the open near obelisks) can be killed by wilds.

Oh, FWIW, I have over 9K hours in ARK, 6+K PvP., 3+K PvE - so I've seen it from both sides - 95% of those hours are on official.

16 minutes ago, FeyGriffin said:

I'd like to see PvE servers being allocated to small clusters - 1 of each map - this would go a long way to reducing the capped servers as the large tribes using other servers to store tames would be reduced to their own cluster - also remove ORP from PvE so the "stored" dinos (IME 95% of these are left in the open near obelisks) can be killed by wilds.

Oh, FWIW, I have over 9K hours in ARK, 6+K PvP., 3+K PvE - so I've seen it from both sides - 95% of those hours are on official.

Agree with this, orp needs to be removed from PVE. At the end of the day it is a SURVIVAL game, even PVE is survivval and ORP makes the small ammount of of actual survival in PVE non existant. At the end of the day, if you were in a survival situation with dangerous dinosaurs then you would need to correctly protect your livestock or lose it. If you leave a chicken in the middle of a jungle full of tigers it dies.. leave a  few ORP PVE servers if people want them that desperatly but at the moment it just leaves servers choaked with unused dinos and unplayable,  if anything change PVE ORP to structure protection only.

Just now, Azmeaiel said:

Agree with this, orp needs to be removed from PVE. At the end of the day it is a SURVIVAL game, even PVE is survivval and ORP makes the small ammount of of actual survival in PVE non existant. At the end of the day, if you were in a survival situation with dangerous dinosaurs then you would need to correctly protect your livestock or lose it. If you leave a chicken in the middle of a jungle full of tigers it dies.. leave a  few ORP PVE servers if people want them that desperatly but at the moment it just leaves servers choaked with unused dinos and unplayable,  if anything change PVE ORP to structure protection only.

I agree with that too, i have most hours in pve, and i think orp need to go, it is so few that kites dinos into bases, and there is rules against that, so let us have "natural deaths" happens

Agreed, i started in the days you actually had to build a defensive base and keep animals safe. It makes me sick to see dinos just stacked all over the beaches or just left out everywhere, they should all be dead. Which would help improve some of the cap situation. Just like when you were a kid put your toys away safe or you wont have them anymore . :)

1 minute ago, Rubberduck said:

I agree with that too, i have most hours in pve, and i think orp need to go, it is so few that kites dinos into bases, and there is rules against that, so let us have "natural deaths" happens

The problem i always find with this argument is, if it wont protect from a kited dinosaur, it wont protect from WILD dinosaurs either, as a survival game correct building and protection of tames is part of the game, incorrectly protect tames and it doesnt matter if the dino is wild or has a guy running around in front ot it it will be the same outcome. If your tames are dying to either then at the end of the day its the players fault for having poor dino protection. ORP really only panders to a noisy minority and spoils the game for the rest of us preventing death of careless stored on beaches and in the open so servers become more clogged removal of orp would make game more immersive again- requiring people to actually think about their builds and environment and relieving preassure on PVE servers from the 1000's of stored and abandoned dinos.

1 minute ago, Azmeaiel said:

The problem i always find with this argument is, if it wont protect from a kited dinosaur, it wont protect from WILD dinosaurs either, as a survival game correct building and protection of tames is part of the game, incorrectly protect tames and it doesnt matter if the dino is wild or has a guy running around in front ot it it will be the same outcome. If your tames are dying to either then at the end of the day its the players fault for having poor dino protection. ORP really only panders to a noisy minority and spoils the game for the rest of us preventing death of careless stored on beaches and in the open so servers become more clogged removal of orp would make game more immersive again- requiring people to actually think about their builds and environment and relieving preassure on PVE servers from the 1000's of stored and abandoned dinos.

YEah it was meant as their argument was to help against kiters etc, but it wasnt that big of a problem back then, and it still wont be. so i actually want orp gone,  it would help a bit on servers, that and region locks, with no crossing between regions

Just now, Rubberduck said:

YEah it was meant as their argument was to help against kiters etc, but it wasnt that big of a problem back then, and it still wont be. so i actually want orp gone,  it would help a bit on servers, that and region locks, with no crossing between regions

The problem with kiters as an excuse for ORP is this too.

If their good at it, they will simply wait untill your online...

If your base is built correctly for the dinosaurs you tame neither a wild or kiter will not affect them. The only people EVER affected by either, are those that store dinosaurs in the open or in very poor enclosures. Orp has only promoted mass storage and poor, lazy structure building and has minimal effect on anyone else. These fairly lazy players then whinged that their dodo on the beach or dinos left in the open died to griefer or wandering wild which IS PART OF THE GAME, its survival, both for you and tames.

13 minutes ago, Azmeaiel said:

The problem with kiters as an excuse for ORP is this too.

If their good at it, they will simply wait untill your online...

If your base is built correctly for the dinosaurs you tame neither a wild or kiter will not affect them. The only people EVER affected by either, are those that store dinosaurs in the open or in very poor enclosures. Orp has only promoted mass storage and poor, lazy structure building and has minimal effect on anyone else. These fairly lazy players then whinged that their dodo on the beach or dinos left in the open died to griefer or wandering wild which IS PART OF THE GAME, its survival, both for you and tames.

Yes It wasnt my excuse, i never liked orp in pve, and never had problems before orp

3 hours ago, btb556 said:

That's why I say three tame. Three to ten would work. Probably ten. Then, boss fights would be do-able

well you need separate ones to mine different materials so 3-10  wouldnt be viable even then. to build base, raise dinos on kibble so they are good enough to do bosses, clear caves for artifacts and animal parts its not really a viable number.

10 hours ago, Rohun said:

Our EU server is full of asian players who are doing the very same thing, then again we are helpless. I just don't understand why doens't ark implement a region lock for a specific country of players who do this sort of thing on a daily basis.

it is almoost always a certain player demographic who have no problems using exploits on official servers, or making them unplayable for other people even on pve, but either way, the problems they cause and reasons they CAN get away with this are never adressed. PVE with ORP is a closed box system with no decay or loss of dinos..almost ever and this results in massive overpopulation of storage dinos, in the end all legitimate players will be pushed out for storage tribes.

21 hours ago, Everybody said:

Let’s hope the dino cyro storange system in extinction solves this problem, as that removes the need for large dino-storange bases

Probably not gonna happen.
Why would those tribes farm element or whatever is needed to make the cryo storage, when they can just dump their dinos on different servers?

• Volunteer Moderator
2 hours ago, ToXiN said:

Probably not gonna happen.
Why would those tribes farm element or whatever is needed to make the cryo storage, when they can just dump their dinos on different servers?

Couldn't be what ends up being released, but according to the PCGamer's article:

Extinction will introduce a cryochamber that will allow you to freeze creatures into "ice cube form," and then carry them around in your pocket. Sort of a pocket monster that you can then deploy as needed (though these ice cubes will slowly degrade in your pocket).

So if this is the case, this will definitely not be a viable option for players to store their extra tames and will most likely just be used for trading, and/or cave raiding, etc.

Archived