Could this computer run ARK?

Ethonodon

GPU:

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5, LED, DX12 OSD Support (PXOC) Graphics Card 08G-P4-6173-KR 

Processor:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor Wraith Spire

Memory (RAM):

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL

Motherboard:

ASUS ROG STRIX B250H GAMING LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI DVI M.2 B250 ATX Motherboard with USB 3.1

Power Supply:

VGA 450 BT 100-BT-0450-K1 450W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Non-Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Optical Drive:

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

Audio Card:

Dell Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI, THX 7.1 Audio Card

Fans:

Rosewill ROCF-13001 - 120mm Computer Case Cooling Fan - Sleeve Bearing, Super Silent (Pack of 4)

Case:

Nzxt H440 Mid Tower Computer Case, Matt Black/Red/w Window (CA-H442W-M1)

Keyboard:

MSI Keyboard Interceptor DS4200 Standard Gaming Keyboard (Retail)

Monitor:

Dell SE2417HG Black 23.6” Gaming LCD Monitor, 2ms Fast Response Time, Dual HDMI ports for switching between PC and gaming console

Storage:

Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM006 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know if this is good to run ARK on High or Epic graphics at 45-60 fps

Easily, I'm running on epic (apart from shadows & ground clutter) on an overclocked 1060 & an old i5 4690K (currently stock, but have overclocked to 4GHz stable) but I also have 32GB of RAM which helps a lot

p.s. your PSU is a bit underpowered if you upgrade much on that rig - really want 650+W - will also run far more efficiently than a PSU running at 80%+ capacity

13 hours ago, Ethonodon said:

Can someone give a a link to a good PSU for ARK on Epic? I can't seem to find a nice one.

http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-DSA-_-CategoryPages-_-NA&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-o_bBRCOARIsAM5NbIOg9Nd5MHuQayL_Mik2-lNBDEkDPkKZZCkbDSX5VwpemZq0O2HKtvkaAsULEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

thats what I use to calculate how many watts I need for a system

after you get that number,  use this list to find a psu.  Higher tier costs more money but will protect your system more than cheap ones will.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?108088-Official-XS-Power-Supply-Ranking-Phase-I

*From that page, I calculate that you need at least 510 watts.  So you need to look at a 550+watt power supply based off of that calculator.

On 8/3/2018 at 3:19 PM, Mctoozle said:

No you don't you linked a 7200rpm drive. There are no rpms on a SSD it's sold state. It has no rotations. Get me? A 2tb solid state drive would be so insanely expensive.

I am currently using a LAPTOP that was $350 and has a 2tb hard drive. You can get them pretty cheap nowadays.

EDIT: I see what u mean now.

On 8/3/2018 at 1:56 PM, GrumpyBear said:

http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-DSA-_-CategoryPages-_-NA&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-o_bBRCOARIsAM5NbIOg9Nd5MHuQayL_Mik2-lNBDEkDPkKZZCkbDSX5VwpemZq0O2HKtvkaAsULEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

thats what I use to calculate how many watts I need for a system

after you get that number,  use this list to find a psu.  Higher tier costs more money but will protect your system more than cheap ones will.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?108088-Official-XS-Power-Supply-Ranking-Phase-I

*From that page, I calculate that you need at least 510 watts.  So you need to look at a 550+watt power supply based off of that calculator.

I did the calculations, I need at least a 537W PSU. Currently I am planning on buying a 650W PSU. That should be enough. Thanks for the link, it was a big help!

1 hour ago, Ethonodon said:

should i get an HDD, an SSD, or both?

Having the os and games running on separate drives will improve performance.   The ssd drives have much faster read and write times,  but cost more for less space.   If you got the money separate drives would help,  also higher rpm drives read write faster but are noisier and more expensive.

On 8/5/2018 at 7:28 PM, GrumpyBear said:

Having the os and games running on separate drives will improve performance.   The ssd drives have much faster read and write times,  but cost more for less space.   If you got the money separate drives would help,  also higher rpm drives read write faster but are noisier and more expensive.

Or you can buy an SDD with 500GB - 1TB storage and install /uninstall games when you think you will play or not them.  (You don't need to have 30 games installed if you are gonna play 2-3 of them)
Since I get my first SDD I can't go back to HD.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived