Movement Speed is Overpowered!

blakemcclaren

1 hour ago, MandaBear said:

Oh joy. A new nerf thread about something that has already been discussed 100000000x

What des this tell you? To me this feels like many players, especially pvp players aren't happy with the current situation and want some balancing.

Just to think about it: EVERYONE in pvp has at least 160% movement speed. This means they put at least 40 points into movement speed, into one Single stat out of 10. So a Player at around lvl 80 pumps about half of his points into movement speed. Taking only a look at this, its pretty obvious that this is the most useful stat. And the problem is, that it has pretty much no downside for the speedsters. 

1 hour ago, MandaBear said:

Maybe at that time the bad players will *finally* be as good as the ones that worked hard to actually learn the game and how to defend themselves on official pvp.

Bad players already are as good as the ones practicing hard because all they have to do is getting a lucky hit with a bola and run away if you dont get it done. The movement speed meta requires less skill because aiming is nearly impossible and evading cant get much easier.

Noone wants to break the game but a way to get more diversity especially in pvp would be pretty cool. Thats why i suggested to let heavy armor slow you down. In pve you can still run around naked or in hide/leather/ghilie but if you Do so in pvp you will get shredded by a few shots of anything. So it would be high risk in pvp but offer the Chance to escape vs heavily armored guys. 

19 minutes ago, Punkreas9216 said:

What des this tell you? To me this feels like many players, especially pvp players aren't happy with the current situation and want some balancing.

Just to think about it: EVERYONE in pvp has at least 160% movement speed. This means they put at least 40 points into movement speed, into one Single stat out of 10. So a Player at around lvl 80 pumps about half of his points into movement speed. Taking only a look at this, its pretty obvious that this is the most useful stat. And the problem is, that it has pretty much no downside for the speedsters. 

Bad players already are as good as the ones practicing hard because all they have to do is getting a lucky hit with a bola and run away if you dont get it done. The movement speed meta requires less skill because aiming is nearly impossible and evading cant get much easier.

Noone wants to break the game but a way to get more diversity especially in pvp would be pretty cool. Thats why i suggested to let heavy armor slow you down. In pve you can still run around naked or in hide/leather/ghilie but if you Do so in pvp you will get shredded by a few shots of anything. So it would be high risk in pvp but offer the Chance to escape vs heavily armored guys. 

The good old RPG rule if I don't get hit I don't need armor, the thing is people are obsessed with following the most optimal build.

Then if they don't they cry and demand a nerf because they refuse to find a counter, I know I don't care for a fast character so I make my land Dino's fast it works out for me.

I know alot of players that will be upset if speed gets nerfed, but everyone is abusing speed. 

getting to 160% plus your now taking advantage of latency issues turrets aiming and shooting mechanics , and similar glitches. I hated the speed nerf on the glider suite. but everyone started to notice enough speed is a "get out of jail" ticket. 

at 180% speed your rubber banding if the server latency is high. and if you hit a lag spike your half way across the map, without using any stamina. - how is that just fine as is?

there is a long list of abuse able glitches ingame.. listing the top 5, speed is one of them. 

On 7/30/2018 at 8:05 PM, acat said:

Agree on the swamp fever. Plant y taps are a very good thing as well... until they decay after one hour. I understand that wc added a timer for them, as they are organic, but seriously one hour? I would have expected something like a week or so. And If you have to use heavy turrets/tek turrets to stop someone running up to your base with some flak and c4, theres a serious balance issue. You can get good flak rather easy, c4 shouldnt be any problem at all. Heavy turrets/tek turrets on the other hand are endgame stuff.

I like this! I actually played on the notame cluster for a few months and once i was used to the 0.49% per level up it really was no issue at all.

Well heavy and tek turrets are not even that hard to get lol. Level 100 for heavy, tek is even less actually. Only 70 to activate the portal and any other 9  people can go in. 2 broodmother runs and got enough element for 1 replicator and some tek turrets and ammo. You can run broodmother easy with megatheriums and a yuty. Farming that mats is easy as well.

Normal turrets are just trash lol.

On 7/30/2018 at 7:00 AM, eESTlane said:

i did research. 

speed nerf was in patch 259.0 dated at 22.06.17

island ascension with +15 levels in 267.0 at 29.08.17

abmonation with another +15 levels in 275.0 on 12.12.17

and then the random +1s with the prospect of another ascension on extinction and the possible 150 max for humans in the future. i'd say we've gotten a few boosts in the time the last nerf swept by.

The big speed nerf happened more recently than 259. It was part of a big update and reduced player and dino speeds by nearly half. a few weeks before that was the flyer nerf. If you crybabies don't like the current settings, go play unofficial.

Maybe you didn't get the memo, but there is a reason it's called "ascension". You're following in the footsteps of those who came before you who also ascended. ascended to beyond that is homo sapiens, and to become homo deus. One cannot become a "man god" without being a total badass.

Guest DJRone89
1 minute ago, AndrewLB said:

If you crybabies don't like the current settings, go play unofficial.

Strange that you’ve said this because you’ll be hard pressed to find an unofficial that has reduced movement speeds from the default value. If anything, the multiplier would have been increased as opposed to reduced.

Speed was nerfed when when max level was 105. Currently its 132 and planning to be 150 on next ascension.

1. Argument that you have sacrifice other stats for speed could be used, when we had 105 as max level, but not now. Majority of players are running only 250-350 hp, because its enough and you don't want to get lot of damage from flamethrowers. Then they are running with 400-550 weight, sometimes 1 point to fortitude and rest to speed. With these balanced stats you are still getting to 190+ speed with good hp and good weight.

2. Speed is making most of pve aspects of game useless, because you can just run away from any threat or danger. You don't need to learn how to survive, you just need levels, so you can always run away.

3. Speed is also making most of pvp aspects worthless (mainly lot of dinos and turrets), because you can abuse their slow turn rate/speed and destroy base or kill player/dino easily.

4. Sending people to unofficial, when they don't like how speed is currently working is bad move, because in my experience on official pvp, most of people who wants have this super op speed (yes, streamers are between them) are originally from unofficial servers, where they learned to play with 200+ speed and as we know, people hate when they have to learn "new things / adapt".

5. Official PvP during raid is lagging really hard and current character speed is just adding more problems on it. Yes,  the main problem are lags, but lags in ARK will be never fixed, because this engine (or any other engine) can't handle game like this.

I'm expecting lot of hate replies, but I just want fair and good competitive environment and currently character speed is breaking it. 

On 7/29/2018 at 4:31 PM, Aylana314159 said:

No counter argument. WC should have implemented speed leveling point cap.

This is what they should have done for flyers as well, instead for removing speed leveling entirely.

I have seen suggestions for diminishing returns, but a fixed cap makes more sense to me.

Rather than implementing needs and caps, why not suggest counters that are creative and don't break things for others? 

46 minutes ago, banggugyangu said:

Rather than implementing needs and caps, why not suggest counters that are creative and don't break things for others? 

Well they could further nerf movement speed. It was be the same reasoning behind the flyer nerf.

Or go with someone else's suggestion of diminishing returns.

Or they could do just like they did with flyers and eliminate speed or change it to another stat (like crafting speed to crafting skill). 

Make speed be a factor of stamina.

On 8/1/2018 at 9:06 PM, Aylana314159 said:

Well they could further nerf movement speed. It was be the same reasoning behind the flyer nerf.

Or go with someone else's suggestion of diminishing returns.

Or they could do just like they did with flyers and eliminate speed or change it to another stat (like crafting speed to crafting skill). 

Make speed be a factor of stamina.

You completely missed what I said, although I just now noticed the autocorrect failure in my earlier comment.  Nerfs rarely fix problems. Nerfs medicate symptoms.  Think of a fix for the problem that doesn't break what movement speed actually does.  If all we ever do is ask for Nerfs, then all we'll ever have is a boring game that's been nerfed into the ground. This topic has been brought up a multitude of times. I have suggested a low rate of fire turret and corresponding hand held weapon that fires high velocity rounds that players are unable to outrun. Soaking said turrets wouldn't be feasible due to the high damage low rate of fire manner. If the rate of fire is, say, 5 seconds, 1 stack of ammo would last almost 5 minutes. These turrets could be armor piercing, allowing the turret to, say, cripple in 1 shot and easily finish off with a 2nd (80 damage per shot seems reasonable.) having these scattered about with normal or heavy turrets would eliminate movement speed problems with raiding completely. 

Outside of that, the rendering of collides needs to be fixed. They need to no longer unrender with the mesh unless the whole chunk is unloaded. This would fix other problems outside of running through unrender walls due to high movement speed. 

Archived