Ark 2: Early Access or Full Release Buy?

Guest DJRone89

Guest DJRone89

The CEO of Wildcard hasn’t downplayed the idea that Ark 2, should it be made, will be created in early access again.

I’m a console gamer but I definitely won’t be getting the game on my Xbox. Now I can finally afford a decent PC due to a recent promotion, games like these with a grindy nature will be saved for that purpose. My decision is also based on the fact that consoles are left in the dark for too long, even if it’s standard practice for the cert process.

Due to the negativity of Ark’s development, would any of you be inclined to buy the game in early access again, or just wait for full release while you suck out any remaining life that the first game has?

I doubt I would invest in Ark 2 without it being absolutely flawless, meaning at least fixing all the problems with Ark and launching EA with a better product than Ark.

Also, separate PvP and PvE development is absolutely necessary. We have all seen how this has turned out in Ark without separate gameplay and balancing.

If the developers at Wildcard we’re to decide to make a sequel of Ark, I may or may not buy it. Like the person before me, there would have to be a great improvement from the first game. I personally think Ark as a game really cannot be given a sequel without copying the game. The devs at Wildcard will have to truly amaze me for me to buy it. Some changes could include advancing the dinosaurs’ AI,  creating a whole new story, etc.

As for it being released on early access, I am perfectly fine with that. The only problems with Ark’s development process was that the people at Wildcard continuously misjudged their release dates, overpriced an incomplete game, and many other issues. I, like many, think the worst parts of the development process was the release dates. 

Take Aberration for example. The community was hyped up and ready for the Halloween release yet it was disappointed due to the continued delays. Just because of this, people got annoyed and lost interest in Aberration. So, when Aberration finally was released, it was not as well received as it could have been.  If the devs could at least fix their release date estimations a sequel to Ark would do much better. 

Ark as a game was a huge success to both me and the gaming community. Everyone was in wonder at the dinosaurs and the opportunities the game held. Ark, for a time, had the gaming community truly excited.

I remember scrolling through YouTube all those years ago and discovering the game for the first time. My deepest childhood wishes were realized. I was hooked. In fact, the game had me hooked so well, that it was the first game I purchased on my pc about a year into development. If the devs could harness that feeling of pure wonder and awe and use it to fuel Ark 2, I believe the game has a true shot at success. Until then, I will be content with the current version of Ark, patiently waiting for a sequel if there is one to come. 

And PC has way smaller download sizes ( Steam version anyway ). One of my biggest gripes with Ark on console is the insane download sizes of the game and the updates.

As for the actual question. I very much doubt that I will get Ark 2. WC's way of doing things just gave me to much headaches. Ark is a great concept and could have been one of the great games , but bad development holds it back. I definitely won't get Ark 2 in early access or on full release. I will wait until it goes on a big sale and even then I will constantly watch opinions and videos to decide if I even will get it at all or not. 

I will buy it in early access, it is mostly cheaper. Ark is full of bugs but it was really fun for me besides the bugs and errors and bad devs decision. I would be eating my own poop if I said this game was bad. I played this game alot and enjoyed it. I still do. For me it was like Minecraft on steroids with dinos.

I hope the devs will learn from their mistakes and make Ark 2 better. I will buy it for sure (if it still has dinos !). Some things will surely be fixed with a new engine (like the rendering of entities before objects for example)

The game concept idea and execution (graphics I mean) are too awesome to dismiss the game because of the multitude of bugs and bad decisions. That saved Ark along the way and made us play it again and again...

Early access was the best time ARK ever had. There was new content every month keeping it exciting, we had enough room and servers to play on, at least it FELT like someone cared when you made suggestions. the game was growing and for bugs and glitches, there was an excuse and still hope for them to be fixed. Full release was the beginning of the end, today I mostly love ARK for the people I play with and try to keep myself busy, but it's becoming more and more pointless with all the cap and people quitting.

So, early access it would be for me if ARK 2 ever happens. IF it has a PvE mode, which I hope will finally be treated as a standalone mode then.

I was reluctant to reply to this post, I wish this topic would stay in the freezer until the current Ark game is more rounded off, which is not by a long shot to be fair. Please understand this is my personal preference and I appreciate this will pop up now and then, hence why I decided to chip in.

I believe @Aylana314159 summarized it best, key word there is: Flawless.

14 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

I doubt I would invest in Ark 2 without it being absolutely flawless, meaning at least fixing all the problems with Ark and launching EA with a better product than Ark.

Also, separate PvP and PvE development is absolutely necessary. We have all seen how this has turned out in Ark without separate gameplay and balancing.

I also find it highly unlikely I would buy it, despite how much I love dinosaurs, Tek and what an awesome experience Ark has been to me, both on PvP and PvE fronts, I am not in a rush, I have not defeated the ultimate lifeforms legitimately, I still have tames to get and breed, Caves on the Island still have spawning issues on occasion (I dare say frequently), I would appreciate a fix on that. Base maintenance takes a good chunk of a week's gameplay time and slows everything down even further.

I still have A LOT to do in Scorched Earth and Aberration, I don't have a Reaper nor a Phoenix yet for example. 

Extinction has not even released, its by far the content I am personally most excited about, like I was when Ark was originally announced, I felt that PvE will be one of its central focus, which pleases me a lot. The NPC raids, titans, all the lore, Tek ruins, it just feels that I will want to build and move to a new main base there for good. I am honestly VERY interested in this one. I still hope we get NPC helpers, might even be little robotic or alien creatures, you know? To actually do some maintenance or streamline some of it at least. 

Considering how grindy this game is, I believe I will not be done with this expansion within 24 months, in other words I have so much content to go thru that I will be unlikely to buy another Ark game that has a "restart" as a proposal (both from a development or/and gameplay perspective), I make exceptions for Expansions and content, as they build on the current experience... that, I am always up for... but to start from scratch? Potentially with less content from the get go? No, but thank you.

I will not grind again, I will not be part of another Wildcard Early Access, it was fun the first time around, but I rather not have things break as often. There is one game that sadly does not have dinosaurs in it, but it started after Ark and already has stronger PvE content, is more well rounded and player characters look so fantastic. If I move on, I will move on to a more complete and new experience at this point is less grindy and has helper NPCs.

As long as we keep building on the current content, Ark and Wildcard can count on me, for sure. If we move on (and to be fair at some point they will have to), then Wildcard needs to understand that they will be doing so likely with a new generation of players and community. I don't see a lot of my friends moving on, but that does not mean that new/other players will not join in on the fun, perhaps a flawless execution might just be the thing the series needs to conquer all, and Dinos are always awesome.

Cheers!  

"On January 1, 2020 we will be releasing a list of low population official servers that will be wiped and re-purposed for our upcoming EA release of Ark 2! Don't forget to pre-order and let the Second Great Migration begin!." - Future WC probably

I've spent a lot of time working in marketing, and there is a saying, "Content is King." WC has proven, at least for Ark, content is also king. They keep generating new content and "we" keep buying it up despite all the technical and design flaws that still exist in the game. I think the moment they were able to drop a paid DLC before the game was even fully launched cemented that realization as a company - the message from the fan base is loud and clear, "We'll tolerate all of the game play problems and bugs if you give us shiny new dinos, new maps, and new mechanics."

That's all relevant because, why wouldn't they make Ark 2 and do it in EA? Get that content out and start making money on it ASAP! I think they will, I think they've learned a lot from Ark, and the second game will be substantially better from a technical perspective. At the same time, there are enough die hard fans, that they could drop a pile of poop for Ark 2 into EA and make a couple million bucks before they're even expected to have a stable game, so long as there are new creatures and new things to do.

Will I buy it? Almost certainly, but to me gaming is a super cheap hobby (cost of the game) since I have to have a decent computer for work anyway, comparative to any of my other hobbies (I could buy Ark for my entire extended family for less money than I've lost at poker on bad nights ?).

Before you can say whether you are going to buy a potential Ark 2 I think you have to ask what would Ark 2 be?

A rehash of original where the devs learned from their mistakes but essentially with the same dinos and game experience tarted up a bit, without the glitches and exploits. Or a totally new game, a continuation of the story but with new biomes, creatures and challenges

For me I wouldn't pay again for a bug fixed, updated but essentially the same content sequel. The Devs have to come up with something new that will give me the same  wow factor I experienced when i first got into Ark but continues the story.

The days of early access when the dino taming survival thing was new and the updates were frequent were definitely the halcyon days of Ark it's paled a bit in Official to be honest. 

Oh and better quality of life balance would be a nice feature in any proposed Ark 2.My bank manager insists I put as much money into my account as I take out and my boss insists I turn up and work before he pays me. He even veto'd my proposed "Ark Day" ( like a snow day for any significant updates or events)  and refused me paternity leave when I was rearing gigas and wyverns. So I'd need WC to work with me a bit on that to make it fit in better with people who still exist to some extent in the real world.

32 minutes ago, Hemplethwaite said:

Before you can say whether you are going to buy a potential Ark 2 I think you have to ask what would Ark 2 be?

A rehash of original where the devs learned from their mistakes but essentially with the same dinos and game experience tarted up a bit, without the glitches and exploits. Or a totally new game, a continuation of the story but with new biomes, creatures and challenges

For me I wouldn't pay again for a bug fixed, updated but essentially the same content sequel. The Devs have to come up with something new that will give me the same  wow factor I experienced when i first got into Ark but continues the story.

The days of early access when the dino taming survival thing was new and the updates were frequent were definitely the halcyon days of Ark it's paled a bit in Official to be honest. 

Oh and better quality of life balance would be a nice feature in any proposed Ark 2.My bank manager insists I put as much money into my account as I take out and my boss insists I turn up and work before he pays me. He even veto'd my proposed "Ark Day" ( like a snow day for any significant updates or events)  and refused me paternity leave when I was rearing gigas and wyverns. So I'd need WC to work with me a bit on that to make it fit in better with people who still exist to some extent in the real world.

If you look at most "sequels" to games 70%+ of the content will be already existing stuff ported over from the original. I expect the same thing to happen in ARK 2. They will probably give us another 10-20 new dinos tops the rest will be dinos from ARK 1 that we have already seen. Map wise it will be similar they will have all the original maps plus a couple new ones.

The main thing players would probably want out of it is a far more polished feel. Less bugs and better balancing from day 1, of course if its Early Access that won't happen.

3 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

If you look at most "sequels" to games 70%+ of the content will be already existing stuff ported over from the original. I expect the same thing to happen in ARK 2. They will probably give us another 10-20 new dinos tops the rest will be dinos from ARK 1 that we have already seen. Map wise it will be similar they will have all the original maps plus a couple new ones.

The main thing players would probably want out of it is a far more polished feel. Less bugs and better balancing from day 1, of course if its Early Access that won't happen.

You are probably right, I've enjoyed two and a half years of Ark but I won't buy an Ark 2 for 10 to 20 new dinos and a bit of extra polish.

It's a bit like buying a car that is really fun to drive but has a bad habit of breaking down on you. You put up with the niggles but you don't rush out and buy another one just because they added bluetooth and a parking camera.

Hard to say. I keep finding myself coming back and playing even with all the issues. That being said, servers that keep getting tame capped are becoming an issue that impedes fun, which WC still have not addressed. And maybe on this engine, on these servers, there isn't a good answer other than throwing money at it (buying more servers) which WC doesn't have. IF an Ark 2 were to come about, tame caps would have to be addressed. One of the biggest aspects of Ark is taming dinos. It undercuts the gameplay when one of Ark's biggest selling points can't be done. Of course I'm talking about officials here, and PvE to be more exact. Even so, if this didn't appear to be addressed in Ark2, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Guest DJRone89
3 hours ago, Ocicat said:

Hard to say. I keep finding myself coming back and playing even with all the issues. That being said, servers that keep getting tame capped are becoming an issue that impedes fun, which WC still have not addressed. And maybe on this engine, on these servers, there isn't a good answer other than throwing money at it (buying more servers) which WC doesn't have. IF an Ark 2 were to come about, tame caps would have to be addressed. One of the biggest aspects of Ark is taming dinos. It undercuts the gameplay when one of Ark's biggest selling points can't be done. Of course I'm talking about officials here, and PvE to be more exact. Even so, if this didn't appear to be addressed in Ark2, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

How can they address tame caps?

What would you rather; a higher cap or better server performance? Hint: you can’t have both.

I would probably buy ark 2 if it contains enough of the key features that ark contains.

One thing I have learned as a gamer is that games are never perfect due to bug's or crappy design or simply it doesn't suit my taste.

In the end it boils down to the point, do I like it enough.

For example dead rising I have been a long time fan especially when co-op was introduced I had a blast all the way through to dr3 it was amazing, I didn't care about the glaring problems because there was just so much I like about it.

Then here comes dr4 they stripped it of so much of it's allure for me it was like taking my sandwich and removing the meat and just leaving me with the bread it no longer hit the spot.

I've poop on this game in the past, but I still can't find a game where I truely got my monies worth like Ark. Yes it's buggy and has glitches, but the hours I've spent on this game is certainly worth the price tag, I can buy a game for $90 AUD and be finished within 3 hours. If they did bring out an Ark 2 I'd buy it, I just hope it's on a better suited engine or better yet, they create their own to suit the playstyle. People complain and say they've stopped giving them money but at the end of the day I can guarantee most will still buy it once and if it comes out, there is nothing like Ark.

I'm pretty sure if there's an ARK 2, I won't buy it before it's old and cheap.

I enjoy playing ARK, but I wouldn't want to play a game too similar anytime soon, after being done with ARK. I usually play a game for 1-4 years excessively, with short breaks for games with quicker playthroughs, but they are always different from.the one before. I'd rather play fallout, elder scrolls, monster hunter or some of the older games in my library, before coming back to an ARK-like game.

Also I'd want to wait for reviews on steam, and see if WC has learned enough from ARK, and if ARK 2 has a lot of new stuff to offer or just new maps and animals.

If the farming/taming/breeding times are going to be the same as they are now, I'd rather play on my own server with friends than on official ones. ARK and I have a love/hate relationship atm.

i'm split 50 50 because ark is a great game and all of that but the developers cant tell march from august or a massive bug problem from a community request for "more content" now in the end thy always deliver but they sure do take there sweet time about it.

plus the fact that they would need to come up with a new story, new dinosaurs, bosses, new maps, resources, building, systems, Dino AI, achievements, tools, foods, items, weapons, etc.) while trying to copy nothing from the original game (except for the giga of course and maybe the dodo...) to make a whole new experience for us that does not feel like a game that does not have a new purpose.

ironically i just watched this video today  and i think that WC could learn something from it (from what i gathered from it. or i could have horribly misunderstood the concept of the video tell me if i did or not.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxhs-GLE29Q

(its by the game theorists btw)

if it came out in early access again, the price point would probably drive how quickly I purchased it.  If it were near a full game price, I'd be in no hurry to jump in, but if it's at a pretty significant discount I'd probably get it right away.

Either way though, I'd be waiting closer to completion before sinking any real time into it, knowing in early access, at any moment, the developers can make a decision to completely nullify work put in to that point.

In the end, I'll be buying it though, unless there's a game already doing the same thing a lot better that I'm already invested in.  Ark is a great game, as many have already pointed out, I've put in more hours into this game than any other game by a long ways (save maybe halo 2 back in college...).  Open world, sandbox style games are the future, as companies find ways to fit other game genre's within them.  People very much enjoy being able to decide how to play, what roads to take and when, and being able to actually impact the world.  Other games started with being able to impact story lines that eventually gave you different finite endings, but the worlds they were set in were still relatively static.  If Ark 2 can get a jump on how to really mold those concepts in a way better than others are doing it, people will buy it.  If it's just another rehash of Ark, an essential fresh start DLC, it will be falling behind the curve and will lose much of the player base.

I won’t be buying Ark 2 in early access or at full release, ARK 1 is what I invested in, and I have no intentions of dealing with another stream of delays and horrible programming from wildcard.  The only money they will be making off me will be if they add content to their first buggy mess, not a whole new one.  I don’t know why anybody assumes a company that can’t fix simple bugs from early access or meet any deadlines they set would somehow be able to make a better ARK 2.

Archived