Tips for Megalosaurus taming?

SeaRex

So I started singleplayer on aberration for the first time a couple of days ago. I have 2 bases, one next to the river in the mushroom forest, and one next to a Charge Node in the overlook. I have 3 ravagers, 5 direbears, 1 sarco, 4 or 5 bulbdogs (can't remember exactly), and a doedicurus.  My creatures' levels at tame were:

Ravagers were 116, 60, and 44.

Sarco was a 104.

Bears were 40 and 36, and i bred them and got twins. Then I found a 76 with super cool colors so I had to tame it.

Doed was level 76.

Bulbdogs' levels are irrelevant except for that I have a 120 (max level in my world). 

I don't want to rant any more, so I'll now present my question. So I want to go down to the blue zone from my overlook base. Should I take my 116 ravager, or my sarco? Or should I wait to tame a 100+ spino? I keep spyglassing and killing all the low levels I see, except for an 84 sort of close to my mushroom forest base. Should I tame that one and venture into the blue zone to tame a megalosaurus? Please give advice in the comments!!

Not played on Aberration for a while, I used to go down the blue area on a crab with everything I needed for a trap (gateway & gate, 14 pillars) and carry a sheep in one of it's claws while using the other for killing stuff, pretty easy to do, when you spot one clear the area of any nasties then set the trap up and get it to chase you in, knock it out and starve it, once it's ready kill the sheep and insta tame it, easy ?

• Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Be careful if you use a ravager. The megalo can grab it and you will die in an instant. I would suggest the spino, especially with their buff they are monsters now. Also don't forget your light pet, I believe it debuffs megalos as well. Kite into a trap and knock it down!

No it doesn't debuff Megalo's.

47 minutes ago, RageQuitter said:

Not played on Aberration for a while, I used to go down the blue area on a crab with everything I needed for a trap (gateway & gate, 14 pillars) and carry a sheep in one of it's claws while using the other for killing stuff, pretty easy to do, when you spot one clear the area of any nasties then set the trap up and get it to chase you in, knock it out and starve it, once it's ready kill the sheep and insta tame it, easy ?

Thank you! How did you tame a crab? (Oh btw, I have a tranq mod so I think I'll only need one hit ?)

24 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Be careful if you use a ravager. The megalo can grab it and you will die in an instant. I would suggest the spino, especially with their buff they are monsters now. Also don't forget your light pet, I believe it debuffs megalos as well. Kite into a trap and knock it down!

Ok, thank you! Yes, I'm also playing on the Island with my friend and I have a beast Spino... better than rexes IMO!

1 hour ago, GP said:

No it doesn't debuff Megalo's.

Hm, I stand corrected then. I was told it makes megalos act as if it is daytime. Goes to show how little I use them!

Light pet is still essential to fight off the nameless anyway... The worst thing that can happen is a nameless biting you while you're checking the recently koed megalo's stats.

2 hours ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Hm, I stand corrected then. I was told it makes megalos act as if it is daytime. Goes to show how little I use them!

Light pet is still essential to fight off the nameless anyway... The worst thing that can happen is a nameless biting you while you're checking the recently koed megalo's stats.

I always kite the megalosaurus over to a trap at fertile region. No way in hell do I knock them out at blue region. Thank god they don't wake up at 20:00 in Aberration since they are on constant wake up state, so that makes them very easy to tame once they are down.

3 hours ago, SeaRex said:

Ok, thank you! Yes, I'm also playing on the Island with my friend and I have a beast Spino... better than rexes IMO!

They are better in terms of damage. Health? Not so much.

3 hours ago, SeaRex said:

Thank you! How did you tame a crab? (Oh btw, I have a tranq mod so I think I'll only need one hit ?)

I am unsure if the tranq mod will work for creatures that can only be knocked out with impact through cannon/catapult, but I recommend setting up and inescapable trap with a catapult turret nested neatly just within the reach of the crab's shell. Recommend looking at youtubes for guides for easier explanation.

17 hours ago, SeaRex said:

You need a trap and catapult, like Vaculity said you'd be best of looking on youtube for guides, pretty easy if you have it set up right  you just don't want it to be able to move much once it's trapped otherwise you risk hitting the legs and killing it, tames with either turtle kibble or spoiled meat.

To be honest it depends on your settings and what mods you have as to what's best, crab is good for low taming multiplier as there's no oviraptor kibble (unless you transfer it from another server but you're playing single player) so you can carry a sheep and keep it alive until you need it while also being able to fight off any nasties, makes it a bit easier instead of knocking one out then having to go off and find taming food and maybe getting lost if you don't know the map, if you've got a high multiplier and mods then you'd probably be as well off going on a spino, knocking one out then getting a bit of prime from a snake or sarco, there are a couple of places close to the waterfall that goes into the blue area where they spawn so you could knock one out then come back up to the river and kill a spino for prime, would be easy if you have high rates.

1 hour ago, RageQuitter said:

You need a trap and catapult, like Vaculity said you'd be best of looking on youtube for guides, pretty easy if you have it set up right  you just don't want it to be able to move much once it's trapped otherwise you risk hitting the legs and killing it, tames with either turtle kibble or spoiled meat.

To be honest it depends on your settings and what mods you have as to what's best, crab is good for low taming multiplier as there's no oviraptor kibble (unless you transfer it from another server but you're playing single player) so you can carry a sheep and keep it alive until you need it while also being able to fight off any nasties, makes it a bit easier instead of knocking one out then having to go off and find taming food and maybe getting lost if you don't know the map, if you've got a high multiplier and mods then you'd probably be as well off going on a spino, knocking one out then getting a bit of prime from a snake or sarco, there are a couple of places close to the waterfall that goes into the blue area where they spawn so you could knock one out then come back up to the river and kill a spino for prime, would be easy if you have high rates.

Thank you! I have 20 taming, 2 harvest, and 3 xp so I think I'll kill a sheep, keep the mutton in my Spino's inventory (I tamed one this morning lvl 84) because the mutton takes 30 min to spoil.

15 hours ago, Vaculity said:

I am unsure if the tranq mod will work for creatures that can only be knocked out with impact through cannon/catapult, but I recommend setting up and inescapable trap with a catapult turret nested neatly just within the reach of the crab's shell. Recommend looking at youtubes for guides for easier explanation.

I meant I would only need one shot for a megalosaurus, I know you need a cannon to knock out crabs.

55 minutes ago, SeaRex said:

Thank you! I have 20 taming, 2 harvest, and 3 xp so I think I'll kill a sheep, keep the mutton in my Spino's inventory (I tamed one this morning lvl 84) because the mutton takes 30 min to spoil.

Yeah that'll work, give you about 20 mins to find one and knock it out, if it takes a bit longer to find one and the mutton spoils it's no big deal as it's only 5 prime and 3 mins longer tame time plus you get the same levels as mutton & kibble.

On 7/23/2018 at 11:26 AM, RageQuitter said:

Yeah that'll work, give you about 20 mins to find one and knock it out, if it takes a bit longer to find one and the mutton spoils it's no big deal as it's only 5 prime and 3 mins longer tame time plus you get the same levels as mutton & kibble.

So this morning I went into the blue zone on my bred and imprinted Spino and tamed myself a lvl 68 female Megalosaurus! Really quick tame, but for some reason aggros ravagers, raptors, scorpions... ugh! That is really frustrating. Spinos don't aggro those, even though they have worse stats...

So tonight I think I'll tame an at least 100+ male and maybe a higher level female to go get a Drake egg, because that was the reason I wanted a Megalo in the first place! But now that I realize that they aggro small things like ravagers, and more importantly other megalos (because from the wiki and watching videos I've noticed a lot of Megalos down in the red zone. If I can't find a 100+ male and female tonight, I'll probably go down on my Spino.

• Volunteer Moderator
8 hours ago, SeaRex said:

So this morning I went into the blue zone on my bred and imprinted Spino and tamed myself a lvl 68 female Megalosaurus! Really quick tame, but for some reason aggros ravagers, raptors, scorpions... ugh! That is really frustrating. Spinos don't aggro those, even though they have worse stats...

So tonight I think I'll tame an at least 100+ male and maybe a higher level female to go get a Drake egg, because that was the reason I wanted a Megalo in the first place! But now that I realize that they aggro small things like ravagers, and more importantly other megalos (because from the wiki and watching videos I've noticed a lot of Megalos down in the red zone. If I can't find a 100+ male and female tonight, I'll probably go down on my Spino.

Megalos agro everything! Also, on top of that, Raptors and Sarcos can now pull you off the mount too. I believe Purlovia's probably can too.

They were my favourite mount until the Raptor/Sarco change, then Drakes became my favourite mount.

9 hours ago, SeaRex said:

Since Single-player spawns work a bit different then Multiplayer spawns, i can highly recommend getting a Crab and taking that down to the Rock Drake eggs, and hardly anything will bother you on the way down and up.

Just make sure to kill every single Rockdrake around the area you want to grab an egg from, and you should not have to deal with 10/20+ drake getting your Crab stuck when you pick and egg, seen this been done on Youtube in Single-player on PC several times it is the best way to get your first egg(s). This might not work on a server because of spawn rates etc, but even on MP you seriously reduce the amount of drakes that come after you when you pick up an egg.

You wont need to leave any dino's down in the trench, you can jump in and out of the trench and up and down to nests that have eggs.

Hech if you want you can even just jump down to the giga skeleton from inside the blue biome (caution adviced dont do it if you dunno where to jump down) dismount before hitting the ground and you save at least 1 radiation suit since you just skipped that long walk/jump train down via the pathway.

On 7/24/2018 at 11:41 PM, SeaRex said:

There's an area with a few nests you can easily get in and out of without having to go in the trench, first egg I got I went down on a spino but had 3 megalos with me which shredded the drakes and made it easy, don't think I'd have got out if I'd just gone on the spino as it was quite squishy, just need to take your time and learn when to put them on passive/neutral, for instance when you go past the radioactive water make sure they're passive in case you aggro anything and they chase it into the water, there's also some tight bends on cliffs where it's safer to stop them following and manually move each one because of the follow mechanics, apart from that it's a doddle, the spino keeps you safe from dismounts and the megalos can handle everything down there.

5 hours ago, HANKxTH3xTANK said:

So I've been playing Ark for a while now and I haven't gotten far in aberration and I know that radiation does affect some dinos, I was curious if megalos take radiation damage, I did research but I've gotten mixed comments saying yes and no 

nah they don't, so they're probab;y the best option for stealing drake eggs.

Archived