Alpha aggro

Ryan220

Hello all. 

I think I read somewhere that an Alpha will not aggro on you, your base or dinos if you leave it alone/ stay out of range.

What about if it runs into spikes around your base? 

Will it then aggro on your base?

If it does, is it better in PVE to not bother with spikes, if your base is fully walled in?

Many thanks

Hello,

I have seen Giga bite enemy strucures (stone) when enemies was online but with zero damage in offical pve

So alphas should not damage spikes. But having no line of sight for wild creatures to your tames is the best and a few dinos on neatral just incase a creature gets inside. I had fliers follow a creature just to avoid them escape.

Or you can change the settings as @gp suggest above.

Regards,

Ariana 

Cheers for the replies.

Im on Official PVE.

I had an Alpha that seemed to have aggro'd on my spikes, which he then destroyed some of and then aggro'd on my base and was damaging the stone.

I tried kiting him away a few times on foot, but he kept returning to my base, so I tried with a Ptera - bad idea - poor Ptera when down screaming. (Lost 3 Pteras this weekend - not so good on a server thats bouncing off he tame cap constantly. I live and learn from it)

In the end I put out call for help and a very helpful person came along on a Wyvern and melted the Alpha :-)

• Volunteer Moderator
5 minutes ago, ArianaGaming said:

Hello,

Good for you that a guy helped.

If you can not get help run up to the attacking dino and let it kill you as long as you are far away or logged out it stops the destruction but creature stay in the area.

Good luck @Ryan220

/Ariana

That's not great advice. What if someone else is in the area and therefore within render distance? Getting himself killed or logging off will not help at all.

Then when he logs back on the Giga is still there.

An easy way to kill alphas if you don't have guns or strong mounts is to find an elevated rock, (or place some pillars and a ceiling quick) and shoot it with arrows.  They tend to run off when damaged, if you can find a decent rock to land on and have it's aggro, you can throw down a dino gate behind it to kinda trap it in.  May take a bunch of arrows, but they're simple to make and alphas give really good xp.  If you have a crappy mount like a low level ptera, it's hard but doable.  You want to try to hit the top of it's head,  once you get the timing right it is easy to avoid attacks.  I'd suggest taking the safer route until you are more comfortable.  

10 minutes ago, GP said:

That's not great advice. What if someone else is in the area and therefore within render distance? Getting himself killed or logging off will not help at all.

Hello,

Worked for me on official PvE with other players around but yes WC might have changed it since it is easy to stop the aggro that way and other players can not get a creatures to aggro on a enemy's tribe.

But for unofficial I don't think it works. But I never tested it on unofficials. So I do not know.

Regards,

Ariana 

2 hours ago, GP said:

Hello again,

There's no need to test on unofficials since it works there as well. Aggro goes away as seen in "Nerd Parade's Eve of Extinction - ARK Survival Evolved " youtube video. As rexx aggro a titan and dies while raft and driver is near.

Original advice again below

2 hours ago, ArianaGaming said:

Hello,

Good for you that a guy helped.

If you can not get help run up to the attacking dino and let it kill you as long as you are far away or logged out it stops the destruction but creature stay in the area.

Good luck @Ryan220

/Ariana

Regards,

Ariana

• Volunteer Moderator
7 minutes ago, ArianaGaming said:

Hello again,

There's no need to test on unofficials since it works there as well. Aggro goes away as seen in "Nerd Parade's Eve of Extinction - ARK Survival Evolved " youtube video. As rexx aggro a titan and dies while raft and driver is near.

Original advice again below

Regards,

Ariana

Again you are completely wrong.

The reason the Titan does not agro to the player on the raft is because he's on the raft. No dino, water or land agros to a player on a raft besides the Leeds. If that player had been on the ground at the time then the Titan would have agro'd to him.

Unless you are saying you can have 2 tribe mates, one can attack Titan and die but the other tribe mate will be safe.... that is ridiculous. It is because he was driving the raft. It's been like that since ARK was in Early Access.

51 minutes ago, GP said:

The reason the Titan does not agro to the player on the raft is because he's on the raft. No dino, water or land agros to a player on a raft besides the Leeds. If that player had been on the ground at the time then the Titan would have agro'd to him.

Unless you are saying you can have 2 tribe mates, one can attack Titan and die but the other tribe mate will be safe.... that is ridiculous. It is because he was driving the raft. It's been like that since ARK was in Early Access.

To prove GP's point of no dinos aggroing on rafts:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1124906011

18 hours ago, GP said:

I just wanted to add for clarification, this only affects THE DRIVER.  Passengers can and will get attacked by aggressive creatures.

No it will chase. You already have agro. Rafts dont remove agro, they prevent it in the first place.

OP: You can also use the elevated rock suggestion with a flyer. Simply land on a rock that the alpha cant reach upwards but is within reach for your flyer to strike downwards. You can sit there hitting it with no risk. I do this with pteras until I get argys and then do it with them as they put out more damage (I keep a mate flying on follow and passive above for bonus damage as well).

Archived