Best tame to take on cave runs?

reason4rage

Don't forget vultures. They're slow flyers unless you pump points into speed, but you can bring as many as you want into any cave. They're especially good for clearing out bats ahead of you so as not to risk infection. If you're going on foot they're practically mandatory.

On the Ragnarok and SE caves in particular you're going to be glad for them, no fun getting hit by bats while crossing pits.

Dimorphodon can serve the same function but you can't tame them on-mass and they're base stats aren't quite as good.

Wow, awesome guys. I been doing runs at night, I keep my Megalosaurus on one cave and leave it there for night runs. I always get enough chitin and with its grab ability I occasionally snatch a Megalania or other annoying to get mounts (I drop them on an improvised taming pen).

However, I have to admit a huge oversight on my part, not once did I stop to think about Baryonyx as a viable option, now that I reflect on it, seems really flexible as with my Megalosaurus I try to stay clear of water, they are not very maneuverable.

So how good is a Bary vs bats? They feel very frail to me...

8 hours ago, stargatedalek said:

Don't forget vultures. They're slow flyers unless you pump points into speed, but you can bring as many as you want into any cave. They're especially good for clearing out bats ahead of you so as not to risk infection. If you're going on foot they're practically mandatory.

On the Ragnarok and SE caves in particular you're going to be glad for them, no fun getting hit by bats while crossing pits.

Dimorphodon can serve the same function but you can't tame them on-mass and they're base stats aren't quite as good.

Vultures and Dimorphs have the same base stats

I normaly play on speedservers (so yes shame on me)
so it depends what you want o archive. Gathering chitin.. go for Keratin instead with a kraken or Chainsaw Deathworm in the IceCave (risky but worth it)
if you go for the Artefakt it deppends on the cave but for Center Cave just run with a decent Movment speed (maby a some food buffs) you will outrun most of the things (keep in mind to still have some Stimulant an your hotbar to not get nocked out by a few hits.
Ragnarok the same (unless the Ice cave I never did that on a Offi server) but Jungle cave i normaly need around 6Parachutes and 10 Grapples to do it. without killing even a single bat just be faster than them (and keep some healthpotionsto counter sikness)

I didnt play The Ilande since a long time so cant really speak about that.

imho, by far best cave mount is sabertooth. it can fit all caves but few, ones that you have to do on foot like northwest cave or caves with lot water where baryonyx dominate. breed good hp and melee sabers and equip it with good saddles and you will have universal cave mount.

i think ravagers are larger and cant fit in most caves where sabertooths can

Archived