DLC Worth it?

memzl

Every DLC maps are very different than the original one (Except Ragnarok for SE)

Scorched Earth is way harder than The Island
Way more agressive creature. Very hot, not much water. There is event like superHeat, Sandstorm, etc..
Starting on Scorched Earth is way different than starting on The Island

If you like the game to be hard, to be a survival game, you will loves them.

Aberration is the same, except that it is way harder than Scorched Earth :D

New creatures, far deep you go, harder it gets.

There is a total difference (IMO) beetween each DLC, a total different way to play.

The Island, The Center and Ragnarok are almost all the same (except Ragnarok for it's desert, but it doesn't feel like the desert of Scorched Earth), Scorched Earth, Aberration (and Exctinction next) are way different :) 

If you want to have a new adventure, if you like the game being harder, if you like chalenge, you will love them ❤️ 

(In PVE at least, dunno for PVP. Aberration is designed PVE IMO)

52 minutes ago, stargatedalek said:

If you use officials, than it probably isn't worth it to access the new maps.

If you use unofficial or single player than god yes are the DLCs worth it. They are the two best maps in the game by far. Both of them are more engaging and immersive than the default map.

I have been playing on official PVE for about two years and things have been getting better in the DLC maps. At first the server pops were so bad that the few severs you could get into were just fields and fields of pillars. But in the last few months server pop has dropped and now you can find very casual servers with lots of helpful people willing to give advice and lots of room to grow your base. I would recommend going to SE first as the increased difficulty and added game mechanics will help prep you for the madness that is aberration. SE used to be pretty bad itself but they changed it so wolves and sabertooth don't spawn in large packs anymore, they adjusted the spoil timer to be more reasonable and just this week they changed the electrical storms so they only effect tek equipment(this may be bugged, getting info that wind turbines are still effected). As to the question "is it worth it?" for me it is. After leaving the island I set up on SE then onto AB and I am still maintaining both bases. My island base I gave up on a long time ago. Hope that helps!

Everyone can tell you yes or no, but at the end of the day it is still your money that will be paying for it. Watch videos of the gameplay on youtube and decide from that. I can say you are getting more content when you buy the dlc, but if its the type of content you are looking for is up to you. All have their pros and cons because they have different play styles to survive. it honestly just depends on how you like playing the game. 

It is also valid to mention that the experience is very different if you start off with fresh characters on these maps or you bring high level ones from the existing Island you are playing. 

For me, it was really worthwhile, my favorite map is still Scorched Earth, but some, not all, portions of Aberration are starting to warm up to me.

11 hours ago, memzl said:

So i am so far pretty satisfied with the relaxed and casual gameplay of the normal ark maps and the base content, but i'm thinking of buying the dlc and i am wondering if it's more tryhard to survive on the other maps.

Scorched Earth in my opinion is the best looking and designed map in ARK.  It is super easy to level Rexes on it because of the presence of Deathworms on the maps borders.  The caves and boss however are a much easier than their island counterparts.  You get used to the harsh environment of Scorched Earth really quickly.  It’s just a very consistent and beautiful map, however all it’s content barring the map is available for free through ragnarok.

Ragnarok adds the intense difficulty of competitive lag that strikes all over the map, since the team that made it has put very little work into it since they “finished” it.

Aberration just adds stupid difficulty with things like Ice spore mushrooms that will always kill you unless you have aquatic mushrooms to eat, and Ravagers which will bleed spam any tame that can’t kill them instantly.  You basically have to have a hazmat suit on to explore any of the decent environments on this map, and nameless nonstop spawn in most of those regions too.

8 hours ago, RipRavage said:

Aberration just adds stupid difficulty with things like Ice spore mushrooms that will always kill you unless you have aquatic mushrooms to eat, and Ravagers which will bleed spam any tame that can’t kill them instantly.  You basically have to have a hazmat suit on to explore any of the decent environments on this map, and nameless nonstop spawn in most of those regions too.

That's why I love Aberration, it is raptoring difficult :D 

11 hours ago, MandaBear said:

Everyone can tell you yes or no, but at the end of the day it is still your money that will be paying for it. Watch videos of the gameplay on youtube and decide from that. I can say you are getting more content when you buy the dlc, but if its the type of content you are looking for is up to you. All have their pros and cons because they have different play styles to survive. it honestly just depends on how you like playing the game. 

QFT.

We can give you our experience, but if you really want a honest experience, you gotta do it yourself in a sense.

I could say if you intend to get the DLC, try getting Seasons Pass. Extinction appears at November 3rd, and currently can only be bought through that.

9 hours ago, Globy said:

Its not like "oh I had to think up this crazy strategy to defeat the creatures in this area difficulty", its "Oh crap I just stepped on a mushroom, I guess I'm going to have to run half way across the map with another tame to get my gear" kind of difficulty.

30 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

Its not like "oh I had to think up this crazy strategy to defeat the creatures in this area difficulty", its "Oh crap I just stepped on a mushroom, I guess I'm going to have to run half way across the map with another tame to get my gear" kind of difficulty.

No, it's "Oh, I should have prepared X mushrooms to counter effect of X spores.", then once you get established, it will be "Oh, I forgot to wear my hazmat suit".

As a great man said: "Just git gud."

So, yaaaasssss to DLCs unless you can't git gud, then take a spoon fed version of the map through a mod (not that's it's a bad thing, but it just feels too easy, like Ragnarok...)

13 hours ago, Globy said:

Theres some difficult aspects that I like, and then theres totally arbitrary garbage such as "grappling hooks and tek teleporters don't work to make it more difficult to traverse terrain". I feel like theyre able to make it harder without purposefully sabotaging stuff thats already in the game.

20 hours ago, RipRavage said:

This is the response I’ve grown accustomed to on these forums.

While the phrasing may be rather vulgar (and inaccurate) the advice itself is sound. ARK (outside of PVP) isn't about "gitting gud"; it's about learning and adapting to better survive your surroundings. Which includes learning how to counter the spores.

23 minutes ago, stargatedalek said:

While the phrasing may be rather vulgar (and inaccurate) the advice itself is sound. ARK (outside of PVP) isn't about "gitting gud"; it's about learning and adapting to better survive your surroundings. Which includes learning how to counter the spores.

If it makes you feel any better I haven’t died to frost spores in a long time since I usually wear a hazmat suit in the blue region.  I just think a gurenteed death without a mushroom is a bit steep for a region that has meager resources at best.  Then there is the bs of frost spores that magically float in the air on the trees you can climb, I don’t think it adds much in the way of gameplay, they are hard to see and almost impossible to get around unless you have a suit or lug around a stack of mushrooms.

8 hours ago, RipRavage said:

If it makes you feel any better I haven’t died to frost spores in a long time since I usually wear a hazmat suit in the blue region.  I just think a gurenteed death without a mushroom is a bit steep for a region that has meager resources at best.  Then there is the bs of frost spores that magically float in the air on the trees you can climb, I don’t think it adds much in the way of gameplay, they are hard to see and almost impossible to get around unless you have a suit or lug around a stack of mushrooms.

*cough* But you've learnt where they are and how to spot them. It's not like it just suddenly spawned a Giga on your base for dramatic purpose and unreasonable difficulty. By the way, the frost spore wall at the end of the bridge that has like 9 gas geysers, we just put a zipline there and bypass it... 

It's easier to spot with normal/slightly lower gamma as the floating particles contrast more. If you play with gamma 4-5, of course you won't see them so good... 

So, it's difficulty that can be overcome by experience and preparation. Wait, what did you say earlier? 

(quoting derped) 

So, you are saying that it's bad difficulty if you can't overcome it on the first encounter with almost no preparation?

Ok, I respect your opinion... But I still think you shouldn't think this way... If you can just shrug it off when you don't know about it with nothing prepared, it's not difficulty for me. 

4 hours ago, Paroxyde said:

*cough* But you've learnt where they are and how to spot them. It's not like it just suddenly spawned a Giga on your base for dramatic purpose and unreasonable difficulty. By the way, the frost spore wall at the end of the bridge that has like 9 gas geysers, we just put a zipline there and bypass it... 

It's easier to spot with normal/slightly lower gamma as the floating particles contrast more. If you play with gamma 4-5, of course you won't see them so good... 

So, it's difficulty that can be overcome by experience and preparation. Wait, what did you say earlier? 

(quoting derped) 

So, you are saying that it's bad difficulty if you can't overcome it on the first encounter with almost no preparation?

Ok, I respect your opinion... But I still think you shouldn't think this way... If you can just shrug it off when you don't know about it with nothing prepared, it's not difficulty for me. 

You have your opinion, I have mine.  The only way you figure out about the spore walls is by walking right into them since there is other floating crap in the air, especially if you have a light pet on.  I don’t fudge the gamma so I didn’t see them.  There’s even a solid diarrhea spore wall that blocks the entrance to the surface in the north west.  There is almost nothing to indicate these areas have spores other than random specks that drop down which you could easily mistake for light pet stuff.  My opinion is that it is bad game design when you have a gurenteed death trigger with almost no indication that it is there.  At least with diarrhea spores it only takes half your health, ice spores are a gurenteed death without a cure.

2 hours ago, RipRavage said:

You have your opinion, I have mine.  The only way you figure out about the spore walls is by walking right into them since there is other floating crap in the air, especially if you have a light pet on.  I don’t fudge the gamma so I didn’t see them.  There’s even a solid diarrhea spore wall that blocks the entrance to the surface in the north west.  There is almost nothing to indicate these areas have spores other than random specks that drop down which you could easily mistake for light pet stuff.  My opinion is that it is bad game design when you have a gurenteed death trigger with almost no indication that it is there.  At least with diarrhea spores it only takes half your health, ice spores are a gurenteed death without a cure.

Not really, if you have enough fortitude, you should be fine sleeping only a bit. 

Archived