crossplay Crossplay hosting

Are there any other sites out there besides Nitrado that offer Xbox/PC crossplay hosting?

I've had a Nitrado crossplay server up for a little over a month and I'm just really unhappy all around with their web interface, Xbox app, update system/policy, support staff and pricing - oh, and they are based overseas, so the timezone difference (I'm in the US) has caused irritation at times as well.

I'd switch in a heartbeat if there were better alternatives that don't involve using my own hardware to run the servers.

Guest DJRone89
6 minutes ago, X0mb13 said:

Are there any other sites out there besides Nitrado that offer Xbox/PC crossplay hosting?

I've had a Nitrado crossplay server up for a little over a month and I'm just really unhappy all around with their web interface, Xbox app, update system/policy, support staff and pricing - oh, and they are based overseas, so the timezone difference (I'm in the US) has caused irritation at times as well.

I'd switch in a heartbeat if there were better alternatives that don't involve using my own hardware to run the servers.

Nope. It’s Nitrado, or Win10/Xbox player dedicated. That’s it.

Wildcard initially said that Nitrado would be the first server providers to test the waters as they are the official hosts/partners.

I honestly believe other providers simply don’t care enough because of the need to go through the Microsoft store and potentially lose a profit. Why would people pay more money on an already expensive model? Nitrado made a choice with Microsoft so that servers are only a fraction more expensive than those using Steam or PS4.

Because of the way Nitrado is set up on Xbox, I’d imagine Microsoft would make all potential server providers developer their own app for use in the Microsoft store just as Nitrado did, again something I doubt other providers care about doing.

Yeah, that's all very likely, unfortunately.

I guess I'm stuck with them until the eventual Microsoft/Steam(Valve) merger happens... I called it a couple years ago and everything I've been seeing lately keeps pointing in that direction... that it will happen at some point in the future - "WHEN" is the real question...

... or until the people I want to play with get decent PC's ?

Guest DJRone89
21 hours ago, X0mb13 said:

Yeah, that's all very likely, unfortunately.

I guess I'm stuck with them until the eventual Microsoft/Steam(Valve) merger happens... I called it a couple years ago and everything I've been seeing lately keeps pointing in that direction... that it will happen at some point in the future - "WHEN" is the real question...

... or until the people I want to play with get decent PC's ?

Lol it’s never going to happen. I follow all Ark news and have never seen any info on this apparent merger so it’s likely people have been talking out of their asses.

ok, to back up a second - 

"merger" might be the wrong word. working on a Steam clone with eventual partnership might be more accurate.

Along with the recent/pending Razer partnership to bring KB/mouse support to the Xbox, MS has been staffing up for "system wide mod support", working to implement a Steam-like interface - 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-microsoft-exploring-bringing-mods-xbox-one

You may also have noticed a large number of games being added to the console that were formally PC only - I see this as building the existing library and infrastructure for a larger project down the road. In addition, Microsoft has been steadily working to snatch up other game companies into their ecosystem recently.  Companies which may or may not be able to continue to release games on Steam after being bought out.

With Microsoft's increasing interest in PC gaming, but OBVIOUS separation from Steam in all practices, I think it's safe to say that M$, at the very least, is eyeing up the competition.  And in the business world, the easiest way to eliminate competition is to bring them under your roof. M$ certainly has the capital and the clout to pull it off.  I've read many articles that point to it being something they are at least interested in investigating where that road leads.  When asked whether M$ was looking to acquire Valve/Steam, Gabe's response was "not that I'm aware of"... which could mean many things... but it wasn't "NO."  (I'm sure you've seen this many times with other companies using very ambiguous language to indicate that they are not working on something, only to reveal "hah! just kidding!" a few months later when they announce said thing that they "weren't working on")

There's a lot of things like these  out there to indicate that the framework for something like this is being put in place.  whether the acquisition will ever occur is up for speculation, but you can't deny that it would make a whole lot of sense.  the Xbox is already a PC running a version of Windows10.  the conversion of the platform would be relatively "easy" from a programming standpoint.  Both companies would make a killing off the deal and for a company that has a console that is "losing the console war", this would be the nuclear option... they would pretty much be unbeatable at that point... because they will essentially have left the console war to go sit on the mountain with their affordable gaming PCs and watch the scuffle unfold down below.

All of this is how I see it anyway. feel free to disagree. I for one welcome our new robotic overlords

Also - on the theme of the original topic - I sincerely hope that someone out there is willing to be the next contender in the crossplay hosting pilot program.  competition is a good thing.  I think they would do well - on my little unadvertised Nitrado crossplay server, all of my player slots are consistently full, with people begging for more slots to be added (it ain't free folks, pony up!) - the only thing I did was include "crossplay" in the server name and people flock to it... so the interest is there - someone just needs to step forward.

Guest DJRone89
23 hours ago, X0mb13 said:

ok, to back up a second - 

"merger" might be the wrong word. working on a Steam clone with eventual partnership might be more accurate.

Along with the recent/pending Razer partnership to bring KB/mouse support to the Xbox, MS has been staffing up for "system wide mod support", working to implement a Steam-like interface - 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-microsoft-exploring-bringing-mods-xbox-one

You may also have noticed a large number of games being added to the console that were formally PC only - I see this as building the existing library and infrastructure for a larger project down the road. In addition, Microsoft has been steadily working to snatch up other game companies into their ecosystem recently.  Companies which may or may not be able to continue to release games on Steam after being bought out.

With Microsoft's increasing interest in PC gaming, but OBVIOUS separation from Steam in all practices, I think it's safe to say that M$, at the very least, is eyeing up the competition.  And in the business world, the easiest way to eliminate competition is to bring them under your roof. M$ certainly has the capital and the clout to pull it off.  I've read many articles that point to it being something they are at least interested in investigating where that road leads.  When asked whether M$ was looking to acquire Valve/Steam, Gabe's response was "not that I'm aware of"... which could mean many things... but it wasn't "NO."  (I'm sure you've seen this many times with other companies using very ambiguous language to indicate that they are not working on something, only to reveal "hah! just kidding!" a few months later when they announce said thing that they "weren't working on")

There's a lot of things like these  out there to indicate that the framework for something like this is being put in place.  whether the acquisition will ever occur is up for speculation, but you can't deny that it would make a whole lot of sense.  the Xbox is already a PC running a version of Windows10.  the conversion of the platform would be relatively "easy" from a programming standpoint.  Both companies would make a killing off the deal and for a company that has a console that is "losing the console war", this would be the nuclear option... they would pretty much be unbeatable at that point... because they will essentially have left the console war to go sit on the mountain with their affordable gaming PCs and watch the scuffle unfold down below.

All of this is how I see it anyway. feel free to disagree. I for one welcome our new robotic overlords

Also - on the theme of the original topic - I sincerely hope that someone out there is willing to be the next contender in the crossplay hosting pilot program.  competition is a good thing.  I think they would do well - on my little unadvertised Nitrado crossplay server, all of my player slots are consistently full, with people begging for more slots to be added (it ain't free folks, pony up!) - the only thing I did was include "crossplay" in the server name and people flock to it... so the interest is there - someone just needs to step forward.

Even if what you’re suggesting came to light, it wouldn’t under Ark’s lifetime. Crossplay took over a year to set up between Win10 and Xbox through Play Anywhere and they’re both Microsoft platforms.

• 4 months later...

Archived