Official servers are a fail

Castle117

After trying both pvp and pve official ark servers for the past month it has become clear that official servers are out of control and not enjoyable for the average player. 

Pve servers coastlines are covered with massive Dino farms, why? These farms have dozens of large dinos and massive Dino gates extended to the water. Every inch of coast line is littered with these Dino farms. Are these raid guilds? Dino sellers? 

Pvp is nothing but toxic players living to gank each other. Always sick with swamp fever and running around naked due to endless griefing. Sick players that would be locked up in real life, what a messed up community. BM at its worst. 

Why does my character have to poop all the time? There is enough Dino poop for all our growing needs. Between sick coughs and pooping this game is a joke. 

Solo offline is fun but not why I bought  the game.  I have no plans to buy and host a private server.  Sorry I tried Ark. 

Official servers in ark are truly a fail. 

There are so many ways to play.

You could go for a fast server and get through the storyline and bosses really quick if you wanted and just be done with Ark. (I don't go this route, l tend to stick to 2-5x servers).

With settings and mods, there are tons of variety.

There are unofficial servers with vanilla settings.

I looked at unofficial. Most are not active. In any case it seems strange to take up space on someone else's server that they are paying for.... So somehow I find an unofficial server and click (what are the odds out of 1000s). Do I then have to help pay the server rent and how.  At what time does the server end and what keeps admin from kicking me if/when they need a slot for a friend. 

No thanks on pickup server games. 

lol what? They want you playing on those servers they pay for, and usually without a single expectation of you ever paying towards it. Also you sort the menu to display all of the unofficial servers that obviously tell you how many people are in them. There are tons of groups and pages dedicated to people recruiting for their unofficial servers. They want you to play because the more people that join, the more people will want to join after that one due to it then being a populated server. If after all of that, you still do not want to play, I have to ask what were you looking for by coming into the forums? 

Unofficial servers are like the old loot comity method where friends and family of the guild ran the guild and took most of the raid loot. 

Why would anyone pay for a server and open it to complete strangers? For free? Rules for where you can build and how many raids u need to attend? Tribe dues? 

My guess unofficial servers are getting the toxic spill over from the official servers. 

I do see lots of posts for invites to servers, most are tribes with expectations... I'm not hardcore raider or pvp

6 minutes ago, Castle117 said:

U forgot a choice. 

Not play the game. 

Being new to survival games i had no clue how official servers worked. No GM and run by the biggest tribe. 

That's how official servers for most survival games work.

What exactly do you want out of the game? It's a sandbox, so there is lots of ways to play.

1 minute ago, Castle117 said:

Unofficial servers are like the old loot comity method where friends and family of the guild ran the guild and took most of the raid loot. 

Why would anyone pay for a server and open it to complete strangers? For free? Rules for where you can build and how many raids u need to attend? Tribe dues? 

This isn't exactly how they work. But every unofficial community is a little different.

As for loot, blue prints can easily be shared. Dino breeding lines (babies/eggs) can be shared.  Some communities are very into sharing.

Just now, Castle117 said:

My guess unofficial servers are getting the toxic spill over from the official servers. 

I do see lots of posts for invites to servers, most are tribes with expectations... I'm not hardcore raider or pvp

This is not true at all. I'm not even an unofficial server player and can tell you that you have the wrong mind frame about those servers. If you are not a pvp player, then play an unofficial pve server. If you are but are not a hardcore raider, find a chill server and read the rules they describe on the pages recruiting. Like seriously Facebook is full of them alone. Typically its one person who gets lonely playing solo, so they are willing to pay and leave it open to everyone in hopes of meeting new people and not running out of stuff to do due to it being only one player playing on the whole server. I've done that exact thing before and honestly tried very hard to make sure everyone else had fun. I didn't expect to get paid for it because I just enjoyed seeing everyone coming together in the type of community that I couldn't have at the time on official due to toxic alphas. Also, as far as taking raid loot goes, typically tribes who do the raiding get the loot. I'd never give any of my work over to someone else "just because" and I'm not alone in that thought process. I'd laugh in the face of anyone that ever told me that's how they ran their server, then go find a better one with less power tripping admins. 

Archived