How do I pronounce “Mejoberry”?

GenTech1000

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DJRone89
1 hour ago, GenTech1000 said:

I have a dumb question. How do you pronounce the word “mejoberry”? Is it pronounced “me-jo-berry” or “me-ho-berry”? I am legitimately confused about the pronunciation of the word. 

That’s quite funny because I feel the same when I hear people pronounce Quetzal, Kwet when it’s Kett-zal-coe-at-luss... however there doesn’t seem to be definitive answer for my issue unlike yours.

Guest DJRone89
16 minutes ago, Demerus said:

Its actually pronounced: "May-jo-berry" and "Qweet-zal-coat-us" and "Ravenger" or "Revenger".................................. :cappa:

Q is pronounced with a K.

13 hours ago, Corrigan said:

Meh joe Berry 

English pronunciation. 

The J is not silent nor does the J have a 'h' sound like in Spanish or Italian. 

Funny thing is that I doubt it stems from an English word.

The berries seem to have Spanish color words. Azul, Amar ...

It's up to you how you want to pronounce it but I think it is "Meh-Hoe "and not "May-Joe"

There is a definite of Quetzal, as it's named after a diety. Quetzal does not prounounce the U. It is NOT "Kwetz"

As for Mejoberry, it's May-ho sound. They are named after the spanish word Mejor (which means best), "Meh-hore" so the berry is Meh-ho. It's not Meh-Joe.

If you don't believe me and think it is Meh-Joe, the ark wiki its self says the berry was named for the spanish word Mejor, so yes, the J has a soft H sound, not a J sound.

2 hours ago, HiImZech said:

the wiki isn't official and thus not backed by wildcard

I mean...we all took it as official I have no idea why the dev aren't taking it. but I guess because they didn't write the information in there and thus wouldn't want to be held responsible for someone else's misguidance. 

pun probably intended.

xD

All the herbivore berries have spanish pre-fixes though.  AZUL  MEJO AMAR 

2 hours ago, Kyd said:

And for the love of god people... chitin is pronounced with a hard K sound like "Kite-en" not a soft c like "Sh!t-en". Weird but true :Jerbfat:

Chitin can also be properly pronounced with an audible C, closer to "chu-ite-en" than "kite-en". Though definitely not "sh!t-en", as I've also heard people say.

On 7/18/2018 at 9:25 AM, Bruvas78 said:

Don't even get me started on the Tapejara...

Little known tidbit, calling it the name Tapejara is in itself an Easter egg. No animal in ARK uses the full name of its real life counterpart, typically a real genus and a fictional species title. But Tapejara imperator is used in full because it's the former name of Tupandactylus imperator before it was given a new genus. This isn't simply an error as no other ARK creature uses a real life species title.

So if it helps, you can call it Tupandactylus, which is significantly easier to remember based on its spelling.

"Two-pan-dac-till-us" vs "Tap-eh-har-ah".

On 7/17/2018 at 3:25 PM, jokerzfate said:

There is a definite of Quetzal, as it's named after a diety. Quetzal does not prounounce the U. It is NOT "Kwetz"

Latin doesn't need to preserve the original pronunciation of a word that it incorporates into a binomial title, so if you want to get really technical there are at least two ways to pronounce almost every genus title. "Coo-et-zal-co-attle" is just as correct as "Ket-zal-co-attle".

On 7/17/2018 at 3:25 AM, Cowgirl said:

Yea, it's "Kett" at least according to one of the "walking with" videos which are made partially by paleontologists.

I'm 99% certain Quetzalcoatlus was pronounced multiple ways in WWD alone. The English (British) version definitely pronounced it "Coo-etzal" not "ket-zal".

Additionally, just because someone is a paleontologist doesn't mean they are going to be right about everything related to extinct life. It is a paleontologists responsibility to collect, classify, preserve and catalogue the remains of extinct animals, any life reconstructions or speculation is done by paleo-artists (not to say someone can't be both). This became pretty clear a few years back with a brief kerfuffle between a few "B-grade celebrity paleontologists" and professional paleo-artists, after a paleontology consultant for (IIRC) Safari ltd. openly admitted to not caring about life reconstruction and only caring about bones, and so approved inaccurate life reconstructions.

Archived