How do I pronounce “Mejoberry”?

GenTech1000

17 hours ago, HiImZech said:

you are solving a language problem by saying it's from a specific language.

Feel free to show evidence, any direct evidence at all, for a better idea.

There are very good reasons to believe that amar, tinto & azul were all borrowed from Spanish or Portuguese (which have already been cited in this thread) and you have offered zero reasons to believe otherwise. You're more than welcome to offer your theory for some other language, with supporting evidence, but so far you've offered nothing other than a vague point about the pronunciation of air. Your entire argument consists of "No it's not... because 'air' that's why", which is meaningless.

If amar, tinto and azul have any meaning in any other language then go ahead and post it, provide your evidence, otherwise you have nothing but denial and what looks a lot like an anti-Spanish attitude.

since the names of the berries are written, edmund could have very well heard how it sounded like and made it up how it should be written like using english

against I must emphasis edmund rockwell is english. how do we know he's for sure english? look at his notes

You can't seriously be trying to use the lore of a character as the argument for how something in the game was named. The odds that the same WIldCard employee decided the names for the berries and was responsible for writing the lore surrounding Edmund are pretty tiny, it's almost guaranteed that they were two different people, and neither one of them had any reason to consult each other about the linguistic origins of berry names in comparison to the nationality of one of the characters being written into the lore of the game. There is no direct connection between object names and game lore.

Beyond that, the writing style of Edmund is just as easily described as "archaic", there's nothing in that writing which explicitly suggests he's English, rather it suggest that the person writing the lore was a fan of old adventure novels and simply wrote the in-game characters to sound "old timey" like many of their literary examples.

You argue against the words having a specific national origin, even though there is valid evidence to back up that idea, but then you just decide that you think Edmund is English because his writing style feels English to you, despite the fact that the same writing style could be plucked from thousands of books written in the early 20th century. That list includes tons of books by American authors and even English translations of books by non-English writers. Compare Edmund's writing style to any contemporary translation of a Jules Verne novel, and they will look much the same.

Your argument is based on nothing more than how Edmund feels to you, while the argument for Spanish/Portuguese being the home language for the berry names has actual valid evidence to back it up.

but of course I'm expecting more backlash about how it's definitely spanish/latin, ignoring all the lore and all the things going in ark. so I'll be leaving this conversation now.

So you admit you have nothing to back up your ideas, since you're not willing or able to provide any real evidence.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/28/2018 at 9:48 PM, HiImZech said:

what I am trying to say is don't be so sure it has a spanish origin even though the popular vote is on it.

air means a different thing in another language, and good luck looking it up on google. it's not pronounced the same way as how you will in english. this is just an example of how romanisation works.

since the names of the berries are written, edmund could have very well heard how it sounded like and made it up how it should be written like using english

against I must emphasis edmund rockwell is english. how do we know he's for sure english? look at his notes

but of course I'm expecting more backlash about how it's definitely spanish/latin, ignoring all the lore and all the things going in ark. so I'll be leaving this conversation now. I'll continue to pronounce it as "zechzech", as I have named everything in ark that way. and people in my tribe understood it every time so that's great and working for me.

"bring zechzech to make the kibble" "bring zechzech to farm meat" "bring zechzech to farm metal"  "bring zechzech for the boss fight" "bring zechzech we need more walls"

works like a charm. only 1 sound longer than "it". 

side note: I love how people assume brits from possibly 19th century are on such good terms with the spanish that they will use their words in their notes.

This would be a valid argument if not for a few facts:

Azulberries are physically blue in color

Tintoberries are physically red in color

Amarberries (again, Amar is short for Amarillo) are physically yellow in color. 

Narcoberries put things to sleep. 

Stimberries stimulate creatures

And Mejoberries are the "better" berry according to every berry eating Dino. 

Your example of how someone could use the word "air" from another language would be like someone saying it's the Dutch word spelled air (and I have no idea what it means or how to pronounce it) despite that the context involves wind. Context tells the rest of the story, and the context of the berries clearly tells us that their names are derived from Spanish and Latin. 

Also, to speak on the lore, Edmund is a chemist from what most believe to be around 19th century London. At that time, there was extraordinary Latin and Spanish influence on the world of chemistry.  Seeing as he named the berries, it makes sense based on the lore that he would choose Latin and Spanish based words to do so. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2018 at 9:08 PM, Corrigan said:

Meh joe Berry 

English pronunciation. 

The J is not silent nor does the J have a 'h' sound like in Spanish or Italian. 

It's literally based on Spanish, just like every other berry. Mejo is short for "mejor," which means "better" because it's the better berry to use for taming. Therefore, just like all of the other berries, it is pronounced partially using Spanish, making it "me-ho" or, more accurately, "may-ho."

On 7/28/2018 at 7:48 PM, HiImZech said:

what I am trying to say is don't be so sure it has a spanish origin even though the popular vote is on it.

air means a different thing in another language, and good luck looking it up on google. it's not pronounced the same way as how you will in english. this is just an example of how romanisation works.

but of course I'm expecting more backlash about how it's definitely spanish/latin, ignoring all the lore and all the things going in ark. so I'll be leaving this conversation now. I'll continue to pronounce it as "zechzech", as I have named everything in ark that way. and people in my tribe understood it every time so that's great and working for me.

"bring zechzech to make the kibble" "bring zechzech to farm meat" "bring zechzech to farm metal"  "bring zechzech for the boss fight" "bring zechzech we need more walls"

works like a charm. only 1 sound longer than "it". 

side note: I love how people assume brits from possibly 19th century are on such good terms with the spanish that they will use their words in their notes.

The fact that the berries are named using another, specific language (i.e., Spanish) is just that- a fact. Of course that's how we're solving the issue because that's how the names were created. ?

if it helps. ive always called them mojo berries. dont know why but i quite like that and its stuck with me.

Surely it is down to each individual how they say it. unless wildcard/Ark tell us what it is. But the Ark Gamapedia does say....

" The name Mejoberry comes from the Spanish word for better, "mejor" "

i would personally pronounce that as 'me jaw' or 'may or' so who knows! lol

It ain't a real thing, its a game construct - so however you like and however is understood by whom you talking to  ....

In all events the other berries seem mostly not to spring from latin. 

Tinto seems to derive from a spanish quirk of calling red wine "Tinto Vino" = tinted wine. Actual Spanish and Latin derivative would be Roja / Rosa or some such variation

Azul seems to come through Spanish to French & English (Azure) from an Arabic or Persian derivation. Latin is Caeruleus or some such variation.

Yellow is Flavus in latin - Amar(rillo) seems also to come through Spanish from Arabic.

Somner or Quies is sleep in latin - Narco(tic/osis) is used in pig or DireWolf latin but properly comes from greek.

Stim(ulate) does seem to be latin in origin - stimulatus

Mejo ???? Latin meio (to pee or ejaculate :)). {South America} Spanish MiHijo (my son / child). As above Spanish mejor or better / best. Greek μεγω - mego (via / through / with)/ Greek mesos (middle). Who knows & does it matter :)

On 7/21/2018 at 10:56 AM, TheDonn said:

Are you just a really popular poster?  How in the hell did you not get post-deleted and forum-warned for bypassing profanity filter?

Properly that ain't profanity - its at best (or worst) scatology or maybe just plain swearing. But no mention or intention of irreverence or contempt to god, so not profane. By the way, isn't "hell" profanity :)

On 9/20/2018 at 3:31 AM, DirkInSA said:

Properly that ain't profanity - its at best (or worst) scatology or maybe just plain swearing. But no mention or intention of irreverence or contempt to god, so not profane. By the way, isn't "hell" profanity :)

But see, my point is that "profane" is subjective.  So the only way to remove subjectivity is to have it apply to everything.  It only applies to what the volunteer mods target, so it remains subjective and on a case-by-case basis.

4 hours ago, TheDonn said:

But see, my point is that "profane" is subjective.  So the only way to remove subjectivity is to have it apply to everything.  It only applies to what the volunteer mods target, so it remains subjective and on a case-by-case basis.

Mmmm I do see your point (ish). But Profanity is a dictionary defined word that does not include references to excrement or ANY other biological function. It only encompass taking gods name in vain .... To follow on I tried earlier to quote something about pig or DireWolf latin, but the word was changed to direwolf or something obscure. Why, this is a word that defines an illegitimate child, and does it accurately, and is not profane - although I guess it can be used as a "rude" word.

So Yeah who decides what is good vs bad? To apply it to everything is also not a good answer, because 1 definition of everything bad is not gonna be the same as someone elses definition. And soon I won't be able to type DamnIt cause its close to swearing (or sheet cause its close enough to excrement). 

---Edit---

Sorry OP, kinda hijacked your post & didn't want to. Should maybe start a new topic ...

Archived