How do I pronounce “Mejoberry”?

GenTech1000

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, TheDonn said:

Are you just a really popular poster?  How in the hell did you not get post-deleted and forum-warned for bypassing profanity filter?

Well for one thing I wasn't attempting to "bypass" anything. I purposely misspelled a word to convey a certain sound. If I offended you, sorry. I guess if it bothers you that much you should report me to the authorities so that I can receive the appropriate punishment...:Melee_Damage:

FYI the only thing I'm popular in, is the dark recess of my own mind :Jerblove:

Every berry in the game is Latin based, either by deriving from Spanish words in the form of the colored berries and mejoberries or directly from Latin words in the case of narcoberries and stimberries. As such, the phonetic rules of the language from which the words are derived depicts the phonetics of the words themselves. The same applies to quetzalcoatlus.  In this case, mejoberry would have a Spanish J sound providing what English speakers know as either an U or a Y sound depending on the dialect of the speaker.  Quetzalcoatlus is pronounced Kehtzalkwahtlus. That's a real word we already have. The berries are made up words derived from existing words, but they still have phonetic rules to follow. The "you can pronounce it however you want response" is... Well it's a free country. You won't go to jail for being wrong. 

On 7/16/2018 at 11:12 PM, GenTech1000 said:

I have a dumb question. How do you pronounce the word “mejoberry”? Is it pronounced “me-jo-berry” or “me-ho-berry”? I am legitimately confused about the pronunciation of the word. 

As others have pointed out, mejoberry is derived from "mejor", so you certainly could pronounce it "may-ho" if you want to, but derived words (in every language) often acquire their own distinct pronunciation, which is even more true when they are adopted as loan words into another language. And this means that there is nothing wrong with pronouncing it as "may-joe" if you want to. "Mejor" is the root word, in the original language, but "mejo" is not a word in Spanish or in any other language, and therefore it's ok to use the hard "j" in your pronunciation.

In addition to the basic logic that applies to loan words in any language, "berry" is a distinctly English word, which means that "mejoberry" is essentially half Spanish and half English, and therefore either pronunciation is legitimate. This is even more true because Spanish doesn't combine words the same way English does. Spanish does concatenate some words, but not in precisely the same ways that English does, every language has its own internal logic. The Spanish word for berry is "baya", so in Spanish it would be a "mejor baya" or "mejo baya", but it almost certainly would not be a "mejobaya".

If you were playing ARK on a Spanish speaking server then the common usage on that server might be to pronounce it "may-ho", but on a server in which all of the in-game text is in English, there is nothing wrong with pronouncing it "may-joe" or "meh-joe".

You'll notice that this is all distinctly different from the quetzalcoatlus, which is not a loan word, and it's not a derivation or manipulation of some other root word. The Paleontologists who first discovered the quetzalcoatlus named it in tribute to the mesoamerican serpent god, and at the time they named it they made the official pronunciation "ketz" rather than "kwetz", which means that "quetzalcoatlus" should be pronounced the same in English and Spanish. People who pronounces it "kwetz" are not using loan-word-logic, they are just making a good, old fashioned mistake.

So have fun with your may-joe-berries and don't worry about how you pronounce them. :)

On 7/21/2018 at 12:39 PM, stargatedalek said:

It's all about context. No one was trying to be aggressive or profane, it was bypassed for very specific reasons in a context that required it.

For the sake of the rules, intent doesn't matter!  If I say "raptor" in this sentence the profanity filter will still change it to "raptor" even though it is used as an example!  You can't speed in your car because you are testing to see how fast it goes after some engine work.  :P  I mean...  I suppose you can if you don't get caught hahaha!

Bypassing is bypassing, but your explanation is good so I'll accept it and move on.

Me and my tribemates pronounce it "mee-joe-berry," as well.  It's most likely wrong because of the spanish root of all berries' names as aforementioned, but that's what we do.

On 7/23/2018 at 6:49 AM, HiImZech said:

again...why is it latin or spanish based?

wiki is not official neither was there a dossier to suggest the one who named the berries are spanish

they only appear in rockwell recipes, and rockwell isn't spanish

Tinto:  one of the spanish words for red

Azul:  spanish word for blue

Amar:  short for Amarillo, which is the spanish word for Yellow (see where this is going?)

Stim:  word part derived from the latin word stimulans which is the same word from which we derive the parts for stimulant, which is a consumable made from stimberries in game.

Why is it latin or spanish based?  Because that's CLEARLY the direction the devs took with this nomenclature. 

On 7/23/2018 at 2:45 PM, Pipinghot said:

In addition to the basic logic that applies to loan words in any language, "berry" is a distinctly English word, which means that "mejoberry" is essentially half Spanish and half English, and therefore either pronunciation is legitimate. This is even more true because Spanish doesn't combine words the same way English does. Spanish does concatenate some words, but not in precisely the same ways that English does, every language has its own internal logic. The Spanish word for berry is "baya", so in Spanish it would be a "mejor baya" or "mejo baya", but it almost certainly would not be a "mejobaya".

If you were playing ARK on a Spanish speaking server then the common usage on that server might be to pronounce it "may-ho", but on a server in which all of the in-game text is in English, there is nothing wrong with pronouncing it "may-joe" or "meh-joe".

You're arguing that because "berry" is not spanish "mejo" is not the full word of "mejor" that pronouncing it incorrectly is acceptable?  Yes,  "Berry" isn't spanish, which means the names of all the berries are an agglomeration of english and spanish words.  "Mejo" as opposed to "Mejor" is simply a case of abbreviating a word for the sake of phonetic flow.  The devs must have decided that the "o" sound flowed better into berry than the "or" sound.  You can pronounce it "Nutberry" if you please, but that doesn't make you correct.

3 hours ago, banggugyangu said:

You're arguing that because "berry" is not spanish "mejo" is not the full word of "mejor" that pronouncing it incorrectly is acceptable?  Yes,  "Berry" isn't spanish, which means the names of all the berries are an agglomeration of english and spanish words.  "Mejo" as opposed to "Mejor" is simply a case of abbreviating a word for the sake of phonetic flow.  The devs must have decided that the "o" sound flowed better into berry than the "or" sound.  You can pronounce it "Nutberry" if you please, but that doesn't make you correct.

1) Loan words

Regardless of your personal preference, this is how loan words work in the real world, and have worked for the entire known history of language.

The world is full of examples:

Spanish: Cayo Hueso loaned to English and became: Key West

English: Smoking loaned to Spanish and became: Esmoquin

Spanish:  montaña loaned to English and became Montana

English: Whiskey loaned to Spanish and became Güisqui

It's not just English and Spanish - nearly every language on earth has words it has borrowed from other languages and has modified them in some way so that the fit more comfortably into the adoptive language.

2) Multi-language hybrid words.

"Mejoberry" is a portmanteau, and beyond that it is a portmanteau with roots in two different languages, which makes is a hybrid word. That means that the resulting child word "Mejoberry" can be pronounced differently in any language that chooses to use it. If Mejoberry was a real plant and a real berry that existed in the real world I guarantee that it would be pronounced differently in Spanish and English (most likely "may-ho" in Spanish and "meh-joe" (or may-joe) in English). And beyond just those two languages, in other languages it would have other, similar pronunciations, like "Meh-yo-berry" given by the German speaker earlier in this thread.

When you combine two words from different languages no one gets to "make the rules" (including you). The resulting word follows the standard usage of each and every language that adopts the new word. There are dozens, probably even hundreds, of portmanteaus in the real world that have multi-language root words, and when those words are adopted by new languages they are pronounced according to the standard rules of each language that adopts them.

This is not a question of what you prefer, or what I prefer, it's simply how words and language really work in the real world. You might not personally like the fact that multi-language portmanteaus can be pronounced differently in each of the root languages, but that's simply how it works.

10 hours ago, HiImZech said:

I also fail to understand how because a word that looks spanish/latin is definitely spanish/latin

please then tell me about this word: air

please tell me how to pronounce it

They don't "look" spanish and latin.  The word parts ARE spanish and latin.  That's a difference.  "Tinto", "Azul", "Amar", and "Mejor" are all spanish.  "Stim" is the root of the latin word "Stimulans".  "Narco", being of greek origin, is the only exception.

On 7/27/2018 at 7:11 AM, HiImZech said:

I also fail to understand how because a word that looks spanish/latin is definitely spanish/latin

please then tell me about this word: air

please tell me how to pronounce it

If you're not familiar with Spanish (or Portuguese) you could easily have spent 15 seconds on google translate to see that it's true. It's not like @bangugyangu is just making things up, your question about "air" is both meaningless and obnoxious. The various berry words are not just random assortments of letters, and they're not random sounds that the devs made up during a night of heavy drinking, they're actual words that are well known in Spanish and Portuguese. Maybe you don't know about them but other people do.

amar = to love (Portuguese = love)

azul = blue (Portuguese = blue)

tinto = red (Portuguese = red)

Those three words are literal translations, they are not abbreviated or changed in any way. You won't find them in French, or Italian, or other languages, they are definitely Spanish/Portuguese words. The next time you "fail to understand" something you should try looking it up before making a snarky post.

My vote is on the word following the same two-term principle as the other three non-effective berries, in that it uses Spanish terminology to dictate its meaning. As others have said, the terms Azul, Tinto, and Amar having very specific Spanish meanings would lead one to believe that the same can be said about the fourth berry, Mejo. 

With that in mind we can only draw the conclusion that the devs meant for the word to be pronounced en Espanol, which would mean the letter J in the word Mejo is pronounced the same as it is pronounced in Spanish, which is H, in most cases. As in jalapeno, slightly harder than the English H. 

However, we could also follow the rule that some J's in Spanish tend to have a harsh sound, almost like a hard H with a CH in the beginning; sort of like a throat clearing sound. This would, in turn, create a completely different sound when pronouncing the word Mejoberry.  

Given that the word Mejo, in Spanish, is pronounced "May-hoe," we can conclude that the above does not pertain to this particular situation, and that the word "Mejoberry" would be correctly pronounced "May-hoe-berry."

You're welcome.

you are solving a language problem by saying it's from a specific language.

what I am trying to say is don't be so sure it has a spanish origin even though the popular vote is on it.

air means a different thing in another language, and good luck looking it up on google. it's not pronounced the same way as how you will in english. this is just an example of how romanisation works.

since the names of the berries are written, edmund could have very well heard how it sounded like and made it up how it should be written like using english

against I must emphasis edmund rockwell is english. how do we know he's for sure english? look at his notes

Greetings and salutations dear reader! 

As usual, I’ve had tribal leaders grovelling at the gates of Rockwell Manor just for the tiniest of samples, and for the recipe? Oh the bounties I’ve been offered! I’m not interested in their riches though. I have their protection, supplies for my studies and all the time in the world. What more could I ask for?

This expedition to Whitesky Peak has been just splendid, top to bottom. The weather's been marvelous, I've found excellent floral samples and the local hunters had more Woolly Rhino horns than you could shake a stick at.

but of course I'm expecting more backlash about how it's definitely spanish/latin, ignoring all the lore and all the things going in ark. so I'll be leaving this conversation now. I'll continue to pronounce it as "zechzech", as I have named everything in ark that way. and people in my tribe understood it every time so that's great and working for me.

"bring zechzech to make the kibble" "bring zechzech to farm meat" "bring zechzech to farm metal"  "bring zechzech for the boss fight" "bring zechzech we need more walls"

works like a charm. only 1 sound longer than "it". 

side note: I love how people assume brits from possibly 19th century are on such good terms with the spanish that they will use their words in their notes.

Archived