Cannon Paracer/Quetzal help

RipRavage

If anybody has any insights on this matter I would appreciate some advice, I’m trying to build a cannon Paracer or Quetzal and I was curious if a 3x2 metal wall with hole open in the center would block damage onto a cannon from projectiles like the rock golems boulder throw?  How deep would I have to place the cannon or is the Golems projectile small enough to go through a 1x1 hole?  I used to just leave the cannon open on the back but it got busted by a rock last time I tried to KO an Elemental.

Guest DJRone89
16 hours ago, RipRavage said:

If anybody has any insights on this matter I would appreciate some advice, I’m trying to build a cannon Paracer or Quetzal and I was curious if a 3x2 metal wall with hole open in the center would block damage onto a cannon from projectiles like the rock golems boulder throw?  How deep would I have to place the cannon or is the Golems projectile small enough to go through a 1x1 hole?  I used to just leave the cannon open on the back but it got busted by a rock last time I tried to KO an Elemental.

Check out my profiles background pic (the walls around the ‘U’ shape aren’t required).

Guest DJRone89

@RipRavage from the pic you’ll see it’s a metal structure to avoid Rock Golem damage. 

You place 6 foundations (2x3) as square as possible on the platform with a ceiling on the left and right of both the front and back 2 foundations.

On the back side, you place 2 ramps down from each foundation/ceiling, totalling 8 in total (4x2).

On the front side, place 4 walls down from either 1 of the front ceilings, but you’ll need a temporary 5th thatch wall in order to continue.

Place a ceiling above the thatch wall and directly below the ceiling that the walls extend up to (destroy the thatch wall and the ceiling will remain in place).

Form a ‘U’ shape that will consist of 5 ceilings at the front and 3 at the back (one square in front of the ceilings/foundations on top so you can jump down).

Finally place the cannon directly in the centre of the ‘U’ shaped ceilings.

How it works and what you’ll need:

You’ll need high carry weight if not you may have to make a storage chest. Alternatively you could store extra cannon balls on the Quetzal as you ideally need a grapple hook anyway as the wings can be a spot of bother when remounting.

You fly low to your target and it’s critical that the ramp is just above the back of the Rock Golems head when you dismount. Now it can’t do it’s rock throw, and in most cases, the end of the ‘U’ shape will lock it in position (whilst remaining unmounted from the Quetz like if you use a trap for taming other Quetzals).

Once you align the cannon with its head (aimed all the way down does it for me), and get your first tame shot, go HAM until it’s knocked out because it can’t move and every shot after the initial will hit the same spot.

It’s nerve racking at first jumping down with the Golem so close and it may hit you off the platform if you’re not careful, but that’s why the grapple hook is important.

Post tame, walk the Golem up the ramp and fly it back to base. You can fit 3-4 Golems on the roof.

1 hour ago, DJRone89 said:

@RipRavage from the pic you’ll see it’s a metal structure to avoid Rock Golem damage. 

You place 6 foundations (2x3) as square as possible on the platform with a ceiling on the left and right of both the front and back 2 foundations.

On the back side, you place 2 ramps down from each foundation/ceiling, totalling 8 in total (4x2).

On the front side, place 4 walls down from either 1 of the front ceilings, but you’ll need a temporary 5th thatch wall in order to continue.

Place a ceiling above the thatch wall and directly below the ceiling that the walls extend up to (destroy the thatch wall and the ceiling will remain in place).

Form a ‘U’ shape that will consist of 5 ceilings at the front and 3 at the back (one square in front of the ceilings/foundations on top so you can jump down).

Finally place the cannon directly in the centre of the ‘U’ shaped ceilings.

How it works and what you’ll need:

You’ll need high carry weight if not you may have to make a storage chest. Alternatively you could store extra cannon balls on the Quetzal as you ideally need a grapple hook anyway as the wings can be a spot of bother when remounting.

You fly low to your target and it’s critical that the ramp is just above the back of the Rock Golems head when you dismount. Now it can’t do it’s rock throw, and in most cases, the end of the ‘U’ shape will lock it in position (whilst remaining unmounted from the Quetz like if you use a trap for taming other Quetzals).

Once you align the cannon with its head (aimed all the way down does it for me), and get your first tame shot, go HAM until it’s knocked out because it can’t move and every shot after the initial will hit the same spot.

It’s nerve racking at first jumping down with the Golem so close and it may hit you off the platform if you’re not careful, but that’s why the grapple hook is important.

Post tame, walk the Golem up the ramp and fly it back to base. You can fit 3-4 Golems on the roof.

I’ll definitly give that build a try.  I kind of had a semi similar design I was using on a raft to snag karkinos.  I’ll probably have to build a chest though for the cannon balls since my weight is 250.  The most annoying problem ive been having up to this point is the golem hitting the cannon through metal walls.

Guest DJRone89
4 hours ago, RipRavage said:

The most annoying problem ive been having up to this point is the golem hitting the cannon through metal walls.

Yeah understandable and while it’s not completely preventable with my build, once you get the hang of it, you can eventually hover the Quetzal above the Golem so it’s just out of reach of the cannon. It then stands still because it’s outside of striking distance and can’t throw any boulders due to the ramp.

I’ll try and find my video of it first in action. If not I’ll tame one soon and record it. By far the easiest method I’ve ever used.

Archived