pvp Fast track to defendable base

Lordnorm

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for getting a defendable base up as quickly as possible and not losing tames every night.

What is the fastest path to turrets and how many hours if everything went right?

Is the best idea to just get an argy and hide it every night while building walls and stocking it until you can put a defendable base up?

define "defendable". a thatch hut is "defendable" with 20 online tribemates. a 10k turret mega tek base can not be "defendable" solo. horrible location is worse than bad builders and both of them are deadly, seriously. if you join a server with a dominant force, in the form of an alpha or whatever, then a single turret on every corner of the base wont just cut it. defenses are never enough. at some point you godda log off and hope you can continue the progression when you log in next time.

It is hard to give suggestions for your question as it really can vary a lot depending on what map you are playing, what mode (normal vs small tribes) and how many players/workers you have on hand to get the base up and running. 

In general my suggestion would be to avoid starting out your base in thatch or wood. Even stone really isn't something worth investing in unless your really short on materials. I personally wouldn't bother building anything larger then a 2x2 without using metal. The reason is pretty simple the bigger your base the easier it is for someone to spot it and stone and lower tier materials just don't cut it. Even metal won't save you for long.

When I am building a new base as part of a medium-large tribe my favourite trick is plonk some vaults with adequate explosive spacing in the thickest jungle I can find and remove the foundations. You use those vaults to store farmed materials but you should never keep building materials in there. I was once in this Chinese tribe back in the day and we joined a new server to take it over. We joined the server got invited to tribe on the beach and then were given instructions that amounted to "you spawn 3 vault". I clicked a few beds with the usual odd names and eventually found the right one. I spawn in and there is a stone foundation with the bed and 3 vaults right in the middle of no where in the jungle. For the next 5 hours we all worked like little ants pouring in all kinds of materials, wood, stone, metal, flint you name it. I logged of that night and by the morning we had a large metal base with a bunch of turrets.

My golden rule is if I have a wall, ceiling or foundation it gets placed down straight away. I've seen it so many times you raid some crappy little stone base and low and behold the owner has 100 metal foundations in a wooden box he has been saving up for some future base. It's a really bad idea storing building parts.

So to recap:

1. Start off small. Make a tiny base made of at least stone in an advantageous location near key resources to allow you to farm for your main base.

2. When you start getting a decent amount of raw material think about putting it in a hidden vault.

3. Make your building pieces and put them down straight away. Try and avoid storing building stuff in vaults/bases.

23 minutes ago, ArianaGaming said:

Hello,

I guess a base you do not care about is unraidable. Lots of ways to hide stuff but know that people can see your hangouts.

Regards,

Ariana 

Yes that is true. The point I was making though is that a lot of players will go onto a PVP server and be in a small tribe of a few people and yet they will try and build gigantic bases and tame heaps of creatures and yet provide them with little or no defences. They obviously then get completely smashed and end up quitting or coming on here to complain. If they play realistically and objectively they won't lose so much stuff because they will know not to bother going that big in the first place since they can't defend it with 2 or 3 people.

1 minute ago, ArianaGaming said:

Just remember to foundation wipe before they get several turrets.

The funny thing is they will often have several turrets but because of their poor base design it doesn't help them. Most of these bases we raid just with flak on foot because they always have numerous blind spots.

One particular base had several buildings and a lot of turrets around the outside and which also had an outer wall. We found though that you could pretty much run to the wall without getting hardly hit in one spot. Even worse though I tossed a nade over the wall the turrets shot it then all the turrets suddenly went offline. The geniuses had connected all the turrets together using one cable going out from their main building. I've never forgotten that moment, was pure gold.

Scale your expectations according to amount of manpower you have and time you can invest. If you are smaller tribe dont bother building up defenses, embrace the 2x1 hidden base in jungle griefer life. 3 friends playing as pure griefers is fun as hell. And you will make lot more profit looting than trying to farm.

14 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

It is hard to give suggestions for your question as it really can vary a lot depending on what map you are playing, what mode (normal vs small tribes) and how many players/workers you have on hand to get the base up and running. 

In general my suggestion would be to avoid starting out your base in thatch or wood. Even stone really isn't something worth investing in unless your really short on materials. I personally wouldn't bother building anything larger then a 2x2 without using metal. The reason is pretty simple the bigger your base the easier it is for someone to spot it and stone and lower tier materials just don't cut it. Even metal won't save you for long.

When I am building a new base as part of a medium-large tribe my favourite trick is plonk some vaults with adequate explosive spacing in the thickest jungle I can find and remove the foundations. You use those vaults to store farmed materials but you should never keep building materials in there. I was once in this Chinese tribe back in the day and we joined a new server to take it over. We joined the server got invited to tribe on the beach and then were given instructions that amounted to "you spawn 3 vault". I clicked a few beds with the usual odd names and eventually found the right one. I spawn in and there is a stone foundation with the bed and 3 vaults right in the middle of no where in the jungle. For the next 5 hours we all worked like little ants pouring in all kinds of materials, wood, stone, metal, flint you name it. I logged of that night and by the morning we had a large metal base with a bunch of turrets.

My golden rule is if I have a wall, ceiling or foundation it gets placed down straight away. I've seen it so many times you raid some crappy little stone base and low and behold the owner has 100 metal foundations in a wooden box he has been saving up for some future base. It's a really bad idea storing building parts.

So to recap:

1. Start off small. Make a tiny base made of at least stone in an advantageous location near key resources to allow you to farm for your main base.

2. When you start getting a decent amount of raw material think about putting it in a hidden vault.

3. Make your building pieces and put them down straight away. Try and avoid storing building stuff in vaults/bases.

Good advise.. I'm solo, I just seem to lose all my tames and progress every night. I guess I just need to get lucky a few nights in a row to get a fab up so I can make some vaults.

Also is it worth the time for me to tame argy, deod and anky to fast track this? My concern is that I spend a night taming and not even get a chance to farm with them. Should I just do it by hand?

2 minutes ago, Lordnorm said:

Good advise.. I'm solo, I just seem to lose all my tames and progress every night. I guess I just need to get lucky a few nights in a row to get a fab up so I can make some vaults.

Also is it worth the time for me to tame argy, deod and anky to fast track this? My concern is that I spend a night taming and not even get a chance to farm with them. Should I just do it by hand?

If you are a Solo player you really want to keep things tiny, like a really small base and minimal if any tames. The reason for this is quite simple - you are never going to be able to defend yourself against larger tribes. If they find your base its game over. So keep that in mind. The problem with having tames is they take up a lot of space and require a lot bigger base. At a minimum to keep them save you are looking at a 4 walls high enclosure for an Anklo and Argent.

I have seen solo players pull it off, have a fairly big base and a lot of tames but that only tends to happen on the old passive servers where you have an alpha tribe in charge and everyone bows to it. On small tribes servers you definitely will not last long.

My advice to you as a solo player would be to adopt the guerrilla lifestyle. You build absolutely minimally, have few or no tames and instead rely on your skills to win. It takes a lot of practice to be good at it and it will take a few months but once you've mastered it you'll find it more enjoyable then the regular way of playing. It has its perks as well you are no subservient to the game. It becomes a normal PVP game as opposed to a 24/7 persistent one. What I mean by that is I can log off every night not be worried if my base gets raided because there is nothing in there worth taking and no tames to lose and the stuff that is worth taking is really well hidden away from the base.

8 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

If you are a Solo player you really want to keep things tiny, like a really small base and minimal if any tames. The reason for this is quite simple - you are never going to be able to defend yourself against larger tribes. If they find your base its game over. So keep that in mind. The problem with having tames is they take up a lot of space and require a lot bigger base. At a minimum to keep them save you are looking at a 4 walls high enclosure for an Anklo and Argent.

I have seen solo players pull it off, have a fairly big base and a lot of tames but that only tends to happen on the old passive servers where you have an alpha tribe in charge and everyone bows to it. On small tribes servers you definitely will not last long.

My advice to you as a solo player would be to adopt the guerrilla lifestyle. You build absolutely minimally, have few or no tames and instead rely on your skills to win. It takes a lot of practice to be good at it and it will take a few months but once you've mastered it you'll find it more enjoyable then the regular way of playing. It has its perks as well you are no subservient to the game. It becomes a normal PVP game as opposed to a 24/7 persistent one. What I mean by that is I can log off every night not be worried if my base gets raided because there is nothing in there worth taking and no tames to lose and the stuff that is worth taking is really well hidden away from the base.

I like the idea, this style must be really enjoyable, but the only one thing that bothers me in this case - you won't be able to "win" the game - to become an ultimate survivor with an alpha ascension implant. That's if you care about the lore.

After 4k h on official PvP I suggest you those:No matter if you 're solo or in big tribe,start by building a raft base-s.The reason for doing that is because rafts are harder to spot as they move..and not many players search the sea.Then as soon as you have building parts ammo etc,depending on if you are solo-small tribe or med-big,you can either build in a cave(especially center caves like bear cave)or claim a good PvP spot near key resources 

13 hours ago, Lordnorm said:

I play solo, usually have just a ptera, argent, anky & doed, never really tame anything else except for maybe a low level berry gatherer if I do lose my tames and need to make more narcs, basically I upload my tames every night along with the saddles and any gear I have when I log but I play daily so know they're not going to expire, if someone kills my naked body it's no big deal as I'll just respawn the next day and get my stuff out of a drop or obi.

As far as bases are concerned you're probably best off making what you can each day and finding a good hiding place to stash everything until you have everything you need to at least defend it, I use a raft with floating foundations underneath and large storage boxes on it, it's not 100% secure but if someone is watching you and finds your stash on land or in the water they can destroy it and get all your valuable stuff, make the floating foundations fairly deep down not just a couple of pillars as then you'll need to park it more or less on the beach to hide the boxes and it'll be easier for someone to destroy it, if it's deep down then you can leave the raft off the coast without being able to see the boxes and it's more hassle to c4 it, if the raft does get destroyed all the stuff on it is under the map so at least you're not strengthening someone else if you've got turrets/ammo stashed on it, only things I build that get left overnight are a couple of small buildings, one with a few forges making charcoal and the other where I smelt metal and have my smithy and fabby, all mats/structures/ammo etc gets stashed before I log, if the charcoal & crafting buildings are still there the following day then good if not then no biggy building new ones.

Having said all that more or less every base I've built as been wiped at some point, anybody with the time and resources will be able to get in eventually but if you try building up from nothing there's a fairly good chance it'll be gone as soon as someone notices you on the server, at least stashing stuff until you're ready might give you a day or two before it's wiped ?

10 hours ago, MotherOfRaptors said:

I like the idea, this style must be really enjoyable, but the only one thing that bothers me in this case - you won't be able to "win" the game - to become an ultimate survivor with an alpha ascension implant. That's if you care about the lore.

PvP is not the story mode for Ark.   You'll experience a much different game than you will in PvE.  It's not a bad thing it's just different.   If you want to ascend, have a huge base, lots of tames,  that's really more for PvE.

Ill share with you my general build strat on hostile servers. I always played as a pirate and so my own style evolved from that. And due to the POS fish leeds, I don't start out on island  or center. 

First thing I do is build several boats.

And encase them in stone.

Then I put all my crafting stations on the front of them and push them into terrain.

Then I make another boat, encased in stone, into a taming boat with a ramp for dinos to run up and fall into the cage portion of the boat.

Get the narcotics and mutton ready for a taming.

Tame 2 purlovia as they spawn along the coast of the red woods on the east side of the rag map. 

Hide the purlovia and start building up mats. 

Expect to lose a boat or two and you will have to rebuild those but they will never get your true stash, the purlovia.

Then once you are ready material wise drop your metal base with turrets and ammo. 

But that is just my style. There are many that can work.

I would find a slightly less hostile server if you ask me. Back when I was playing on PvP, I would build a small 4x6 stone base and tame a few dinos that I would end up getting killed long before someone would attack me and even then, in both occasion where I lost everything, it was because I blocked spawns or pissed off the wrong chinese.

Archived