PvP vs PvE, which is played more?

I'm shocked at how things in this thread haven't taken a turn for the worse haha!

I started off playing PvP. Spent a solid year and a half getting picked off my dino by people riding pteranodons. But I genuinely enjoyed it! I was never the extremely aggressive player as my raids were usually done after somebody would try raiding me. But oh my god the toxicity and pure emotion people throw into this game, the stuff I've seen in world chat during PvP

What marked the end of my PvP career was when mass dino transfers became a thing, a 30 something manned tribe came through, wiped everybody and if you wanted to stay on the server you had to pay "rent". They had turrets set up at every ob, every drop which I thought was excessive but oh well.

That was the end of PvP for me. I literally sat that day after all was said and done and I was like "Yeah.. No. i'm good"

Sidestory:

said mega tribe that wiped our server tried a dozen times before, but with 5 people each time. They captured a tribemember of mine and kept him alive for WEEKS. He'd login, no matter what time they would be there to knock him out and forcefeed him. Mother of god haha.

Guest DJRone89

For Xbox, on the unofficial front, there’s far more PvP servers than PvE, however due to the oversaturation of servers in general, it’s hard to say which has the bigger population.

For the game in total, across all platforms, I’d probably have to go with PvP players but the official PvE playerbase will bridge the gap that the unofficials lose.

On 7/9/2018 at 12:54 PM, ForzaProiettile said:

Yes I am including unofficial servers but I will say that a lot of these unofficial PVP servers are more of the so called "community PVP" type rather then full fledged PVP servers like you see on Official. With their plethora of rules that are deliberately designed to inhibit PVP they cater to vain PVE players who like to have a veneer of respectability.

Since you are including unofficial servers, your numbers are wrong. PVE utterly dominates unofficial, not even a contest. Just wanted to clarify that.

Guest DJRone89
5 hours ago, SuaveHyena said:

Since you are including unofficial servers, your numbers are wrong. PVE utterly dominates unofficial, not even a contest. Just wanted to clarify that.

Must be a PC thing, as it’s certainly not the case on Xbox.

On 7/9/2018 at 6:09 AM, Nephilim said:

I mainly play PVE and I see a lot of players joining servers coming from PVP, but I would suspect the contrary is also true, people bored of the PVE life and in need of some action. 

I would guess its pretty evenly spilt out in my opinion. But who knows...

I've gone both ways :P. mostly left pve due to the pillars blocking everything tho (was before the servercap had become a problem)

2 hours ago, transphenomenal said:

Going by the server list, it seems pvp has more players.

Lots of unofficial servers set it to PVP even though we play on them as PVE. That keeps a lot of settings from being weird like flyer carry, cave building, drops, and some others. It also allows us to have PVP events without having to do a bunch of jumping through hoops.

I have 6 that I run that way and I know several other server owners that do the same. 

I started as a PvPvEr, I really like the concept originally, overtime however I realized that with work, a wife and child I would be unable to keep it up do to my personal priorities. It came to the point that progressing in the game was really hard for me. It was interesting to be sure, but in the end not for me.

Eventually I joined a PvE server, at first it was really neat, but then people kept coming and building all over the place, and not really great constructions but rather those boxed thatched ones. It was horrible and the Island had very few trees compared to the usual pvp, lol. Some tames were really hard to get, like the Sarco as people build along the rivers (this was prior to the swamp and even snow areas). 

After PvE didn't work out, I tried single player, while that had things going for it, I realized I wanted a server, to make my world "alive" even when I was not around. It was a huge thing for farming and breeding too, as single player was (is?) soooo slow on these when I tried it.

So this is where I am at, private server, pvpve with friends / closed group. Overtime we stopped doing the occasional pvp altogether, so its kinda funny that pvp is enabled yet it plays mostly like a PVE. I have blast with it, but I admit I am getting slowly tired due to lack of PvE content and a more self sufficient base mechanic, at times it feels I work for Ark. Recently the farms stopped working properly and this has become a real issue for me, I may not be able to keep it up if its not fixed as even the berries in the fridges are on decline (more is taken out to sustain animals than going in). Yes, I love taming and collecting them all. 

Based on comments on the forums along with my experience, I concluded that the best way to play Ark is Private Server, keeping as vanilla as possible.

Cheers!

I'm 100% sure there is more players on PvE servers.

Being someone who enjoys PvP a lot, I joined a PvP server when I first bought ARK. Unfortunately, the nature of this game just made me angry and hopeless all the time. I would build a little something with a few dino and lose everything a week later. Then I saw how powerful certain tribes were and there was absolutely no possible way I could manage to hold my own should they decide to hit me. In other words, I was in a PvP server playing it like it was PvE.

I came back to this game a few weeks ago and after a few days trying to find the perfect unofficial vanilla PvP server, I just gave up and joined a PvE server.

I am somewhat happy about this choice as my progress isn't wiped every other day. Unfortunately, there's a lot of things I don't like about it. All PvP items are basically useless and being unable to pick up wild dino with an argentavis are two big turnoff, but in exchange of actually playing the game rather than letting it gather dust in my steam library.

16 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

Must be a PC thing, as it’s certainly not the case on Xbox.

Yes, cause mods(massively improved PvE experience) are the main reason for unofficial.

If you want to play competitively on an unofficial server, hosted by another player/tribe, go ahead. When I play PvP I do it on official, more of an equal playing field.

2 minutes ago, Globy said:

Lots of players play PVE Vanilla unofficial. (my server do espacially cuz' we hate mods, making the game too easy (our opinion))
We just play on unofficial to because we need rules, fast answer from admins when peoples do poop

Yes, lots do, but even more prefer unofficial for the mods.

Having mods and potential favoritism is also the main reason for playing PvP on official rather than unofficial.

Dunno why im commenting since i rarely visit here, although I think its an interesting discussion.

I personally think overall there are currently more PvE players than PvP, however i think the reasons for that are simply that people who have tried pvp and moved to pve, have not played pvp correctly.

Ive got almost 2.5k hours logged, mostly on PvE unofficial (PvE official sickens me with the foundation/pillar spam). I did always want to get into pvp but the thought of putting in so much time only to have it wiped sickened me even more than PvE official, so PvE unofficial was where i found my home. I found a great little community private server where I built a nice base, got all my tames, started working on mutation breed lines, learned the mechanics of the game and eventually found myself at the end game. At this point I started thinking, "what do I do next?" sure i could do ascension and reach level 130, but whats the point? I know how to do it, it was just a matter of leveling up my dinos, loot hunting for the saddle bp's and then farming the mats to make them. At that point there was no challenge left in the game... I would never loose dinos in pve, there was very little for me to risk and i felt as though I was simply farming to keep my base running, grinding towards a goal that I was only working towards because i wanted to unlock the achievements (legit).

At this point i felt that it was pointless to continue playing as I knew what i needed to do and how to do it, i just needed to grind it out and knew that the sense of achievement would not be there once i did it. It was time for pvp. I played around with solo and a couple of small tribes, but i soon realised that there are a few specific ways to play pvp;

Solo official: Build small, build fast, dont tame too much unless you want to bring attention to yourself. This should be viewed as a mini-game where the achievement is seeing how big you can grown before you get wiped.

Less than 10 ppl: Build fast and be ready to move. ideally you need to focus on defence. if you have a few people who know what they are doing, you can build in a few hours a base that cannot be solo raided, but you need to build smart. there is no point in building something that can be beer run, you want to make sure that if ppl come, they need to be willing to soak your bullets for a while. Eventually you will get wiped, no alpha is going to allow you to grow unchecked. at that stage you really need to get involved in the politics and get yourself either aligned with the alpha or with an alliance.

Solo hoping to "beat" the game: Not possible. If you want to beat the game you cannot do it solo, at this point you have to join an alpha or mega tribe. Now you may have to be a farming slave for a while before they get to know you, but if you prove your worth, you WILL get to do all the fun stuff such as breeding epic lines, bosses, ascension ect. 

The game is NOT a solo endeavor and i think that is what causes ppl not to play on pvp. PvP is a lot of fun and certainly feels like more of an achievement, but trying to do things that are simply not possible, such as solo pvp aiming high, is like trying to swim up a waterfall

On 7/12/2018 at 5:49 AM, Sumane said:

I personally think overall there are currently more PvE players than PvP, however i think the reasons for that are simply that people who have tried pvp and moved to pve, have not played pvp correctly.

I really don't think that is the case. I think its a lot more that the official PVP is too much work. For example a busy parent has to juggle a job, kids, spouse and gets a limited amount of time to play.

Games are a fun luxury for relaxing when we have down time. At no point do I or the other parents on my server want to spend our time being a "farm slave" to get permission to experience what we can on an unofficial PVE server. We can explore all the maps, tame/breed/bosses without any issues (and no pillars). And we can bring in our kids to play on the server without having to worry about the toxic chat on officials.

Most of us have 2500 hours or so logged and have been playing since it first came out in EA. We tried officials, PVP,  PVE, and a ton of different mods. We figured out what we liked about the game and set it up for us. In our case all clustered official maps on a custom built machine, 2x XP, harvesting, taming, 10x baby maturation, a few of Eco's deco mods and slower hair growth. Gives us plenty to explore without shooting directly to the end game like some of the other servers we tried. 

And I think that is what attracts a lot of players to Unofficial PVPVE. We get to tweak the game to suite our needs. Some people like to build, some explore, and some fight dinos. WildCard gave us the tools to make it what we want. Some people may like the official PVP style, but a large chunk of the population isn't interested in it, and its not that we played it wrong, its we don't like it or doesn't suite our needs. And most of us love other PVP games.

14 hours ago, Lucian said:

... and its not that we played it wrong, its we don't like it or doesn't suite our needs. And most of us love other PVP games.

I mean that's your opinion and your experience and im not gonna argue. You said yourself there are more reasons NOT to play on PvP servers than just time, for example the toxic chat and playing with your kids. but for myself, having been in tribes that are struggling to live the pvp life and not being able to accomplish the goals i set for myself, I was forced into pve simply because i was unaware how to correctly structure myself on pvp servers. Ive always felt that there is so much to ark that is focused around a pvp environment and unfortunately you have to play the game of bones (dino bones) if you want to succeed.

Im sure there are plenty of people like yourself that prefer the pve way, but I trhink there are a huge amount of people who still dont know that this game is 99.9% politics and 0.01% skill

Archived