PvP vs PvE, which is played more?

• Volunteer Moderator
12 minutes ago, MayonnaisePlease said:

Just generally curious on what you guys think has more overall players altogether. I'll go out on a whim and assume PvE, because people get driven away by people raiding stone bases with fully imprinted gigas. xP

I will leave this thread open but if it turns into a pvp pve bashing I will close it. Please keep it civil people. 

1 minute ago, AngrySaltire said:

Are you intentionally trying to start a riot ? :D

I will be keeping my eye on it.. I dont think they are trying to start a war.. 

7 minutes ago, Captnmorgan said:

I will be keeping my eye on it.. I dont think they are trying to start a war.. 

I agree. I dont think op is trying to start a war it is an interesting question but I have my suspicions that the topic will go a certain way though.  In saying that I too would be interested in the answer if actual data exists.

Let's get this off on a diplomatic foot ?.

I personally have only ever played PvP. The biggest reason to me, Ark is a survival game about surviving against dangerous creatures. Mankind, other players, are the most dangerous creature, so to me, if you take that competition out of the game, you are seriously watering down the challenge of surviving. That almost sounds philosophical, but its directly relevant to the game too. In PvE to have a serious chance at losing valuable gear, resources, or tames, you have try to put yourself in harms way. Any PvP base I've ever built would be completely safe on a PvE server, unless I made a huge mistake or the game glitches majorly. In PvP unless you're in an alpha/mega there is danger all the time from every direction. I'm not trying to imply that PvE doesn't have it's challenges as well, but it seem that once to the mid game you have to choose those challenges opposed to having them thrown at you.

At the same time though, the game isn't about just surviving to everyone. ~1000 hours in (too much real like work, perma noob here) and I've never actually fully "beat" the game because of my specific play choices... that's insane. I never get to actually build anything that looks nice, unless you're into cargo container chic, because it's impractical for raid defense. I've never tamed 1/2 - 2/3 of the dinos in the game because they're impractical or there are better options. Outside of my short stint in the big tribe scene, I haven't gotten to really hone breeding lines because it's tough while getting constantly raided (19 times out of 20 when offline).

3 hours ago, Arkasaurio said:

I personally have only ever played PvP. The biggest reason to me, Ark is a survival game about surviving against dangerous creatures. Mankind, other players, are the most dangerous creature, so to me, if you take that competition out of the game, you are seriously watering down the challenge of surviving. That almost sounds philosophical, but its directly relevant to the game too. In PvE to have a serious chance at losing valuable gear, resources, or tames, you have try to put yourself in harms way. Any PvP base I've ever built would be completely safe on a PvE server, unless I made a huge mistake or the game glitches majorly. In PvP unless you're in an alpha/mega there is danger all the time from every direction. I'm not trying to imply that PvE doesn't have it's challenges as well, but it seem that once to the mid game you have to choose those challenges opposed to having them thrown at you.

At the same time though, the game isn't about just surviving to everyone. ~1000 hours in (too much real like work, perma noob here) and I've never actually fully "beat" the game because of my specific play choices... that's insane. I never get to actually build anything that looks nice, unless you're into cargo container chic, because it's impractical for raid defense. I've never tamed 1/2 - 2/3 of the dinos in the game because they're impractical or there are better options. Outside of my short stint in the big tribe scene, I haven't gotten to really hone breeding lines because it's tough while getting constantly raided (19 times out of 20 when offline).

Lol, most people who have "beat" the game or achieved Apex Predator trophy by getting all trophies have commanded most if not all of them in. Even the explore notes can be commanded in so to speak if they spend the time teleporting to the locations which are listed on several websites in single player or on a private server. True they can use a gps but when you see their trophy timestamps and the highest peak and lowest depth are the same minute? Thats teleporting using commands and not legit at all. WildCard has designed the Tek cave which gives you alpha ascension trophy near impossible. You'd have to spend life on official breeding the rexes (if someone doesnt kill them all first) needed for that, have half or more of the people going in with you understanding that they are there only to die as a distraction to the lvl 600 gigas and other ridiculous dinos you face along the way to allow a few maybe to get to the end. And by then the 10 player 20 dino count is easily cut in half. Even on unofficial the difficulty on that with slightly boosted settings is insane. Im talking fully imprinted rexes with 70k hp and 750 melee yuty buffed mate boosted lvl 280 to 330 armor saddles with players in asc armor of 1200 with 1500 durability using any weapon getting slaughtered like a noob going naked to the alpha dragon. This alone is why I laugh when someone says they're getting bored and they feel they have done everything- because most of the time they really haven't. For anyone who can truly say they have beat the game legit 100% on PvP either has no life (family, job, bills, realistic goals, etc.) or their life is video games. Sorry for ranting on the one word "beat" you threw out there. I agree with everything you said. PvE is great if you want a care bear experience and thrive. PvP while tough will allow you to experience every aspect that Ark has and is and you'll have to actually survive. It is called survival evolved not thriving evolved right?

PVP has the most players, just look at the numbers on the Small Tribe Servers. Most of them are 70/70 every day even at non peak times. One must remember that this was developed as a PVP game and was strictly PVP for the first few months before a watered down side version was created for those that couldn't handle the full experience.

The problems with PVE are multifaceted. On the one hand you have immense lag issues as everything in that world is basically permanent due to the nature of that mode. There is no wars or attrition to delete dinos and bases so as a result the servers tend to become full of giant bases and tribes with hundreds of dinos. All of this creates a very unpleasant server experience as the servers can't really cope with the loads.

The second issue with PVE is boredom. Anyone that's played this game long enough knows that you quickly reach a point in game where wild dinos are no longer a viable threat to you or your base. Once a tribe has tamed a mid level creature like a bear the threat from wild dinos is basically not there. If the mid level creature is of a decent high enough level (120+ tame) then it will be more then adequate to even kill things like Rexes and Spinos with ease. Throw in a good saddle and it is truly a walk in the park.

Now for PVP players as one threat subsides another rises and in this case it is other tribes. Although as a growing tribe the wild life may no longer be a threat, your own growth and expanding base will make other tribes envious and feel threatened which will almost guaranteed result in some kind of PVP be it a skirmish or a full blown base raid. In PVP no matter what stage of the game your at be it early game or late game there is always a threat lurking, there is always a challenge.

I guess I have to say that technically I play on a PvP server at the moment, although I am PvE player at heart. I dont think much PvP happens on the server anyway. Always has been PvE for me, I think I kind of joined a PvE server when I first started playing without really realising what the differences were because thats where my friends were playing and just went from there. I just couldnt put the time and effort required into a 'proper PvP' server, game requires too much of a time commitment for me as it is. Saying that I sure wouldnt mind getting into a skirmish or two for fun but I am willing to do without.  

4 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

One must remember that this was developed as a PVP game and was strictly PVP for the first few months before a watered down side version was created for those that couldn't handle the full experience.

I'm not getting into the which is better ect ect  but one must remember to check some basic facts before you present a one sided opinion.

I've played Ark since day one on official PVE servers so Ark was never 'strictly PVP for the first months'  nor was a watered down version created for those of us that couldn't handle the full experience. 

5 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

PVP has the most players, just look at the numbers on the Small Tribe Servers. Most of them are 70/70 every day even at non peak times. One must remember that this was developed as a PVP game and was strictly PVP for the first few months before a watered down side version was created for those that couldn't handle the full experience.

The problems with PVE are multifaceted. On the one hand you have immense lag issues as everything in that world is basically permanent due to the nature of that mode. There is no wars or attrition to delete dinos and bases so as a result the servers tend to become full of giant bases and tribes with hundreds of dinos. All of this creates a very unpleasant server experience as the servers can't really cope with the loads.

The second issue with PVE is boredom. Anyone that's played this game long enough knows that you quickly reach a point in game where wild dinos are no longer a viable threat to you or your base. Once a tribe has tamed a mid level creature like a bear the threat from wild dinos is basically not there. If the mid level creature is of a decent high enough level (120+ tame) then it will be more then adequate to even kill things like Rexes and Spinos with ease. Throw in a good saddle and it is truly a walk in the park.

Now for PVP players as one threat subsides another rises and in this case it is other tribes. Although as a growing tribe the wild life may no longer be a threat, your own growth and expanding base will make other tribes envious and feel threatened which will almost guaranteed result in some kind of PVP be it a skirmish or a full blown base raid. In PVP no matter what stage of the game your at be it early game or late game there is always a threat lurking, there is always a challenge.

Can you clarify whether you are also including unofficial servers? Most of the playerbase is on unofficial servers.

I can understand the PvP appeal of official servers...more guarantees everything is run fairly by a neutral party as opposed to unofficial servers where the admin's tribe could cheat. While unofficial servers have more appeal to PvE players, adding the option of cosmetic and utility mods.

15 minutes ago, Bark said:

I'm not getting into the which is better ect ect  but one must remember to check some basic facts before you present a one sided opinion.

I've played Ark since day one on official PVE servers so Ark was never 'strictly PVP for the first months'  nor was a watered down version created for those of us that couldn't handle the full experience. 

Well you obviously were not playing in back in June 2015 with that comment.

3 minutes ago, SuaveHyena said:

Can you clarify whether you are also including unofficial servers? Most of the playerbase is on unofficial servers.

I can understand the PvP appeal of official servers...more guarantees everything is run fairly by a neutral party as opposed to unofficial servers where the admin's tribe could cheat. While unofficial servers have more appeal to PvE players, adding the option of cosmetic and utility mods.

Yes I am including unofficial servers but I will say that a lot of these unofficial PVP servers are more of the so called "community PVP" type rather then full fledged PVP servers like you see on Official. With their plethora of rules that are deliberately designed to inhibit PVP they cater to vain PVE players who like to have a veneer of respectability.

14 hours ago, Myosapien said:

For anyone who can truly say they have beat the game legit 100% on PvP either has no life (family, job, bills, realistic goals, etc.) or their life is video games.

Outside of megas that can afford to run you, I agree with this - which I guess most if not all megas have done something at some point that would call the 100% legit thing into question, but that get's into a whole other (usually toxic) debate about which tactics are legit and not legit. However, it's also kind of my point... beating the game on PvE or SP even is still beating it to me, both not things I'm going to endeavor to do though for my original reasons for playing PvP. Personally I think that if you've built a good survival game, many if not most players aren't meant to "beat" it "officially." If it's survival of the fittest, not everyone can be the fittest, myself definitely included in that category, but the fun is all in the trying.

10 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Well you obviously were not playing in back in June 2015 with that comment.

Which part of 'I've played Ark since day one on official PVE servers' was too hard for you to understand? 

I played on EU PVE 116 from June 2nd 2015, i was one of the very first players on that server and remained on it deep into legacy. On the first day and for a few days that followed the servers were virtually unplayable due to lag, disconnects and just not being able to connect.

So i know for a fact that your wrong claiming that all servers were PVP, maybe you should consider that as a PVP player you didn't even look for the PVE servers? Either way the fact remains ARK was NEVER 'strictly PVP for the first months

• Volunteer Moderator

I would say PvE. Here is my reasoning for that. You will often find PvE players with more than 2,000 hours on one server. And often you will also see people that play PvP with those hours but spread on multiple servers because of fighting. I have found people that get mad at the game and end up leaving will be PvP players more often than not. But this is just based on my observations and others might have a different opinion on the matter.

I think there is more PVP players than PVE players on official, but far more PVE players than PVP players on unofficial.
I'm part of theses PVE players with 2k hours who only beat 2 of 6 bosses x)
There is so much to do in Ark, even in PVE.

In total, I'd say it would be around 50/50.

More peoples played PVP (I mean by number of people in total, not at same time or number of hours), but lot of them completly abandon The Ark cuz' lost everything, bored of other players, offline raiding, etc..
While PVE players comeback more often I think ?

Like playing 4-5 months, then leave the game for 2-3 months, then comeback, etc..

This is only supposition from what I see from my experience, that's not 100% true :D

PvE, because after over a year and a half of playing PvP you realize how absolutely pointless your new 'job' is, and if you aren't raided/glitch-killed while offline in PvP, then you're suffering through absolutely horrendous gather rates on any PvE official server - thats even assuming you can survive the endless looping rubberbands from all the other greed-driven, unregulated players that want to take up absolutely any and all space with their pillars and dino zoos. Keep in mind that this is with 3 players in the server, meaning that even with other areas in "stasis", its still just that laggy..

In essence: They're both awful unless Unofficial... PvE is just more forgiving, since you can just suck up space until the weekend when you can actually get the gather rates you deserve.

5 minutes ago, Masurao said:

PvE, because after over a year and a half of playing PvP you realize how absolutely pointless your new 'job' is, and if you aren't raided/glitch-killed while offline in PvP, then you're suffering through absolutely horrendous gather rates on any PvE official server - thats even assuming you can survive the endless looping rubberbands from all the other greed-driven, unregulated players that want to take up absolutely any and all space with their pillars and dino zoos. Keep in mind that this is with 3 players in the server, meaning that even with other areas in "stasis", its still just that laggy..

In essence: They're both awful unless Unofficial... PvE is just more forgiving, since you can just suck up space until the weekend when you can actually get the gather rates you deserve.

The thing with PVP is you should only build and tame what you are comfortable with losing. We have a tiny base atm no bigger then a 2x2 and no tames save the occasional Raptor. I log off every night with not a care in the world what happens in ARK. If we get raided we get raided but who cares, it's PVP its expected.

Our old base got raided 5 nights ago, we lost about 300 gunpowder and some basic metal tools that was it. Everything else was in our special stash. I came back that day, deleted the base and made another one.  Last night someone raided our new base. Once again we didn't lose anything of significance and again we have switched location. We don't bother with making turrets because its not going to really stop anyone and all it would be protecting anyhow is crafting stations. It takes me less an hour each time we get raided to setup a new base in a new location.

Now while we are getting raided fairly often we are also raiding very often. It's the nature of the game. We have been getting raided on average about twice a week for the last month, our Bases Raided Count and Dead Enemy Tames Count though is averaging about 5 bases a day across several servers and the average body count is easily exceeding 30 dead tames per day. I call that good returns.

On 7/8/2018 at 9:44 PM, Arkasaurio said:

Dude, I also played PVP for a while and my days were all about crafting ammunition for turrets. I could not enjoy the best of the game, not even explore caves and devote the secrets of ARK.

Today PVE game (actually will be 3 years old). And I can say that I am much happier in PVE. I completed all the bosses, unveiled all the cellars, completed ascension, I have base in all the maps, I have genetica top, and now I only lack the last DLC Extincition.

Ark is a survival game, but surviving does not mean having to stay all day worried if they invaded my base. I want to be able to explore the world of Ark and become a god in the midst of dangerous creatures. Among PVE players, older players also have community respect, as we are resourceful and useful players so that other players can complete the challenges. We are like the masters of the game, always consulted by the beginners. :DodoRex-Mask:

5 hours ago, arrojado1200 said:

Dude, I also played PVP for a while and my days were all about crafting ammunition for turrets. I could not enjoy the best of the game, not even explore caves and devote the secrets of ARK.

Today PVE game (actually will be 3 years old). And I can say that I am much happier in PVE. I completed all the bosses, unveiled all the cellars, completed ascension, I have base in all the maps, I have genetica top, and now I only lack the last DLC Extincition.

Ark is a survival game, but surviving does not mean having to stay all day worried if they invaded my base. I want to be able to explore the world of Ark and become a god in the midst of dangerous creatures. Among PVE players, older players also have community respect, as we are resourceful and useful players so that other players can complete the challenges. We are like the masters of the game, always consulted by the beginners. :DodoRex-Mask:

I get you, but this is a difference of opinion thing. The game literally wouldn't hold my attention without the threat from other players. The vast majority of games have some progression that makes you feel like a "god" so if I wanted that I think there are a lot of other vastly better options than Ark. Again this is opinion though, what you're saying isn't wrong for you ?.

4 hours ago, ArianaGaming said:

Hello,

Since the current event started it seams to me 50% or more play single player making SP PvP (default) most popular.

Regards,

Ariana 

Umm... what? I'm not sure which event you're referring to here, but single player, being one player, isn't that always PvE? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that if you roll in single player, the large majority of Ark players are PvE though.

4 minutes ago, Arkasaurio said:

mm... what? I'm not sure which event you're referring to here, but single player, being one player, isn't that always PvE? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that if you roll in single player, the large majority of Ark players are PvE though.

The event is called ARKaeology availability is for the first time for all players,  even single player. 

You can easy find out what mode you play by checking ARK settings. On Official you pause and all info is there, on your own server/singleplayer see ARKsettings.

Good luck hope it helps you.

/Ariana 

Archived