Why are Spinos so bad?

Pekka

Hey, I was wondering why the spinos are so bad in Ark? They used to be the largest carnivores ever and way more dangerous than a t-rex or a giga. I bet Im not the only one thinking that the Spino is way too bad. Yeah, I understand that Ark is not supposed to be 100% accurate dinosaur history game but like cmoon, Spinosaur used to be the most badass creature ever. In Ark I've seen like lvl 20 on a pvp server and wood base with like lvl 50 spinosaur. Not just easy to tame but very bad. *Note* Thats just what I think, and you are 100% allowed to disagree with me. 

53 minutes ago, Pekka said:

Hey, I was wondering why the spinos are so bad in Ark? They used to be the largest carnivores ever and way more dangerous than a t-rex or a giga. I bet Im not the only one thinking that the Spino is way too bad. Yeah, I understand that Ark is not supposed to be 100% accurate dinosaur history game but like cmoon, Spinosaur used to be the most badass creature ever. In Ark I've seen like lvl 20 on a pvp server and wood base with like lvl 50 spinosaur. Not just easy to tame but very bad. *Note* Thats just what I think, and you are 100% allowed to disagree with me. 

I don't see how spino was the most dangerous, where did you get this fact from?

Hope your facts aren't from Jurassic park 3, I mean the spino lost that battle once the trex bit its neck. Only reason spino won was because it was the poster child for that movie.

Gigas hunted in packs and would take titans and either take big chunks or kill them, so the spino would be out numbered and if it was lucky to come against one then it would be unlucky, since it would be alive while being eaten.

1 hour ago, Pekka said:

Spinos were never the largest carnivores...they were the longest terrestrial carnivores according to todays science. Also they were not more dangerous than a t-rex or giga because they were mainly piscivores. They were a formidable dinosaur, that is true.

After the latest TLC spinos are pretty powerful. Their movement speed on land is way too fast in my opinion, and they are way too slow in the water.
However I don't really mind it because water in ARK is pretty dead place, there aren't many reasons to go there. And even if I decide to go there, I chose a water dino instead of the Spino.

Yo! Pekka

Flash here :) I believe you are highly underestimating Spinos! My Spino Lyro is an absolute beast and i don't think there is anything on Aberration that he cannot handle! For stats here they are! He has 35k total Experience so far!

Saddle Armor: 124

Health: 10,183.3

Stamina: 1050

Oxygen: 3380

Food: 12153.8

Weight: 680.4

Melee Damage: 803.3%

Movement Speed: 120%

Torpidity: 15586.1

The Spino is a pretty versatile Dino and is a great solo player mount to have. It is fast on land and even faster in the water. With's it's quad stance it has a higher attack speed but once the spino go bipedal it's damage out put vastly improves! Also the extra movement speed in water and damage boot are pretty nice! With a 100% imprint a great saddle and a mate boost, i am not sure their are many things in PVE that can rival them besides Gigas and Titans.

(>^.^)> Flash <(^.^<) 
Tribe: Glowboys 
Servers: NA-PVE-OfficialtheIsland 342, NA-PVE-ScorchedEarth 370, NA-PVE-Ragnarok 81, NA-PVE-Aberration 277

1 hour ago, FlashBeat said:

Yo! Pekka

Flash here :) I believe you are highly underestimating Spinos! My Spino Lyro is an absolute beast and i don't think there is anything on Aberration that he cannot handle! For stats here they are! He has 35k total Experience so far!

Saddle Armor: 124

Health: 10,183.3

Stamina: 1050

Oxygen: 3380

Food: 12153.8

Weight: 680.4

Melee Damage: 803.3%

Movement Speed: 120%

Torpidity: 15586.1

The Spino is a pretty versatile Dino and is a great solo player mount to have. It is fast on land and even faster in the water. With's it's quad stance it has a higher attack speed but once the spino go bipedal it's damage out put vastly improves! Also the extra movement speed in water and damage boot are pretty nice! With a 100% imprint a great saddle and a mate boost, i am not sure their are many things in PVE that can rival them besides Gigas and Titans.

(>^.^)> Flash <(^.^<) 
Servers: NA-PVE-OfficialtheIsland 342, NA-PVE-ScorchedEarth 370, NA-PVE-Ragnarok 81, NA-PVE-Aberration 277

Not to mention the knockback of the furious claw swiping!

44 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Not to mention the knockback of the furious claw swiping!

THIS!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^ I haven't taken damage from anything really since i can knock them back while walking backwards! Spino's are beautifully amazing. Especially Bred aberrant Spinos :) 

-(>^.^)> Flash <(^.^<) -

Guest DJRone89

Spinos equalled the Rex until early 2016 when they nerfed heavily. It wasn’t until the last TLC phase that brought them back to life. They are in a much better position now.

Spinos are still only decent while ridden after the last patch since they have a habit of switching between their less effective quadruped and higher damaging bipedal state.  They are glass cannons for whatever reason and being so delicate they need a rider to ensure they use their proper damaging bipedal posture and that they don’t get squished. 

I completely disagree ... with and without the tlc update I have beaten tamed/raised Rex's of the same level with my tamed/raised spinos ... Rex's on ark are at a huge disadvantage when it comes down to it a spino could jump into the water for all the buffs and also attack quicker and back away easily when needed. The Rex is a slow biter with good damage but lacks the manouverability to escape it needs be . The spinos stamina is way better and it's speed is crazy good. The swipe attack does a lot of damage and is much quicker then the Rex's attack meaning if they are somewhat close in Melee damage the spino could be dealing the same if not better... including he fact that you can dodge/escape a few bites... the spino could really mess a Rex up. Spino wins! ❤️

1 hour ago, FoolishF0X97 said:

I completely disagree ... with and without the tlc update I have beaten tamed/raised Rex's of the same level with my tamed/raised spinos ... Rex's on ark are at a huge disadvantage when it comes down to it a spino could jump into the water for all the buffs and also attack quicker and back away easily when needed. The Rex is a slow biter with good damage but lacks the manouverability to escape it needs be . The spinos stamina is way better and it's speed is crazy good. The swipe attack does a lot of damage and is much quicker then the Rex's attack meaning if they are somewhat close in Melee damage the spino could be dealing the same if not better... including he fact that you can dodge/escape a few bites... the spino could really mess a Rex up. Spino wins! ❤️

Except that with current rex breeds you can achieve astronomical tankiness while still retaining high damage, so I think at some point the hp scaling on the rex becomes too much for the spino. Of course, if it ends up losing it can escape

27 minutes ago, Wazzamaniac said:

Except that with current rex breeds you can achieve astronomical tankiness while still retaining high damage, so I think at some point the hp scaling on the rex becomes too much for the spino. Of course, if it ends up losing it can escape

Yeh i do agree :) the Rex is a much better choice in terms of breeding for bosses as I haven't yet been able to get my spinos health any higher then 20k and am yet to try a boss fight with a load of spinos haha 

1 hour ago, FoolishF0X97 said:

Yeh i do agree :) the Rex is a much better choice in terms of breeding for bosses as I haven't yet been able to get my spinos health any higher then 20k and am yet to try a boss fight with a load of spinos haha 

Getting a Spino to 20k hp is going to waste a lot more points than getting a Rex to 30k health.  If you have the same armor level as the Rex and try to pump a Spino to 20k the Rex rider will still most likely have both a higher melee percentage and much higher HP, they will most likely win unless you are fighting them in water 100 percent of the time, and in that case the Rex rider is probably not very smart.  Spinos are glass cannons, you are better off pumping everything into melee other than an initial 10k hp, use them as ambushes and run back into the water when it becomes clear you are actually fighting a equivalent Rex rider.  Hit and run.

2 hours ago, FoolishF0X97 said:

Be careful if you try anything higher than gamma since the Spinos have less attack when not ridden.  They switch between quadrupedal and bipedal stance as they fight lowering damage output.

Have any PvPers tried using the Spino's speed to get around behind a Rex rider and just smack him in the bum until he's dead? That would be a good troll tactic if it works ?

But yeah, for any job that requires any kind of travel time it's hard to justify using Rex when Spino does the same thing and gets it done in a fraction of the time. And in addition to everything else that's already been mentioned, Spino is the probably the best mount in the game for traversing the swamp. Constant water buff, and nothing other than piranhas will attack it, including leeches. 

1 hour ago, Lockjaw said:

Have any PvPers tried using the Spino's speed to get around behind a Rex rider and just smack him in the bum until he's dead? That would be a good troll tactic if it works ?

But yeah, for any job that requires any kind of travel time it's hard to justify using Rex when Spino does the same thing and gets it done in a fraction of the time. And in addition to everything else that's already been mentioned, Spino is the probably the best mount in the game for traversing the swamp. Constant water buff, and nothing other than piranhas will attack it, including leeches. 

Nobody uses rexes for travel, the meta is Wyverns which absolutely will destroy any creature that can’t fly.  The scenario you describe with the Spino outspeeding the Rex would heavily rely on the skill of the rider since the Spino has a similar turn radius to the Rex and needs water for that huge speed boost.  Every scenario breaks down to how well the user of the tool can utilize them, and they all have different purposes.

48 minutes ago, RipRavage said:

Nobody uses rexes for travel, the meta is Wyverns which absolutely will destroy any creature that can’t fly.  The scenario you describe with the Spino outspeeding the Rex would heavily rely on the skill of the rider since the Spino has a similar turn radius to the Rex and needs water for that huge speed boost.  Every scenario breaks down to how well the user of the tool can utilize them, and they all have different purposes.

Well yeah the Wyvern generally outshines both of them for travel, but this is a Rex vs Spino comparison. If you don't yet have a Wyvern then Spino is probably the next best thing, and as I said he's probably better than even the Wyvern in the swamp.

Also what's wrong with relying on skill to win? Most people would consider that good game design. But you're wrong about their turn radius and speed. Even a two-legged Spino with no water buff is still faster than a Rex, let alone if he does have the water buff or if he does use his four-legged stance. And in his two-legged stance he can literally turn on the spot. What gave me the idea for that scenario in the first place is one time a wild Spino did get behind me when I was on my Rex and I had a very hard time getting turned around to finish him off.

At any rate, worse case scenario all a Spino needs to do if he's losing to a Rex is just turn tail and run away. If a Rex is losing to a Spino he's just dead, unless there happens to be a cliff nearby that's too steep for the Spino to climb, but not too steep for the Rex to climb. Which obviously is an extremely niche scenario.

19 minutes ago, Lockjaw said:

Well yeah the Wyvern generally outshines both of them for travel, but this is a Rex vs Spino comparison. If you don't yet have a Wyvern then Spino is probably the next best thing, and as I said he's probably better than even the Wyvern in the swamp.

Also what's wrong with relying on skill to win? Most people would consider that good game design. But you're wrong about their turn radius and speed. Even a two-legged Spino with no water buff is still faster than a Rex, let alone if he does have the water buff or if he does use his four-legged stance. And in his two-legged stance he can literally turn on the spot. What gave me the idea for that scenario in the first place is one time a wild Spino did get behind me when I was on my Rex and I had a very hard time getting turned around to finish him off.

At any rate, worse case scenario all a Spino needs to do if he's losing to a Rex is just turn tail and run away. If a Rex is losing to a Spino he's just dead, unless there happens to be a cliff nearby that's too steep for the Spino to climb, but not too steep for the Rex to climb. Which obviously is an extremely niche scenario.

And you’re basing yours on having higher stats and skills, a competent Rex rider is going to have 15k to 20k more health to allow for the Spino to hit it and very similir damage.  That’s a lot more wiggle room than the Spino has to make errors.  You better hope you are constantly in water to keep up that buff.

The point I’m trying raise is that the Spino is by no means better than the Rex, it has its uses that it outshines the Rex in such as speed and water travel, but victory against a Rex in a fight is not a gurentee and is almost purely on the riders skill if they have similar points pumped into each skill.

I can make the argument that I could destroy both rexes and Spinos on my Megatherium since the bug buff allows me to outdamage most gigas, but just like the Spino it heavily relies on a buff being up the entire fight.  It’s not a good argument.

Archived