What is the best taming pen

TurtlePower

Guest DJRone89
10 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

What is the best  taming pen for a small creature, regular creature, and a large creature? I was wondering because I mostly use inefficient pillar pens for this stuff and I usually waste more materials than I want? If you answer I thank you a lot!

xOneWingsx (YouTube) Giga trapping taming raft/motorboat. Rather than build many pens, you can move it to wherever you like, then just kite the dino you want to tame into it or throw dinos in.

Guest DJRone89
11 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Tsm I never though about it

Yeah it’s a great idea because you can tame Rex’s and Spinos with ease. The bottom part has a giant hatch frame so once big dinos are tamed, you just pull the boat up to a bank, open the hatch, let the dino stand on the actual ground, then drive away on the boat and the dino will clip out - without the need to destroy the dino gate it wouldn’t have been able to fit through. For Spinos, you open a door into the pen and it can walk on to the door to climb out. The most handy part of the build is the fact you can just move the pen once a dino is trapped.

2 minutes ago, DJRone89 said:

Yeah it’s a great idea because you can tame Rex’s and Spinos with ease. The bottom part has a giant hatch frame so once big dinos are tamed, you just pull the boat up to a bank, open the hatch, let the dino stand on the actual ground, then drive away on the boat and the dino will clip out - without the need to destroy the dino gate it wouldn’t have been able to fit through. For Spinos, you open a door into the pen and it can walk on to the door to climb out. The most handy part of the build is the fact you can just move the pen once a dino is trapped.

if you use S+ Structures you can pickup everything, So if you play single player you can just pick it up and move it on out of the raft

Guest DJRone89
51 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

if you use S+ Structures you can pickup everything, So if you play single player you can just pick it up and move it on out of the raft

I can see why S+ is easy mode now, people aren’t even prepared to play the game.

Why build a taming boat with the functionality to get big dinos out when you can just pick up the structures. S+ structure pick up = Ark for lazy people.

1 hour ago, Aylana314159 said:

There is an S+ setting to only allow pickup for a time period like 30s or 1 minute. That way pickup is only used for mistakes or misplaced structures.

Could do with a setting like this in the base game. So annoying to waste structures because you missed placed or the game decided it wants to place a structure else where. 

Also just to keep it on topic, taming rafts are the way to go especially if playing on a PvE server where building a pen out in the sticks isnt an option. Its great being able to move the unconscious tame while it tames up too. 

With or without dino pick up enabled, small dinosaur I use a 2x2 1 high stone building, add a ramp outside if you cannot carry wilds, bait them over the ramp, and exit through a door.

For media size creatures (anything that fits through a normal gate). 4 gate frames in a row, with spaces or you to exit between each gate frame. Put a gate on both ends, open one, bait creature in, shut gate. 

Large tames I usually don't pre-build a trap. But carry 4 stone gate frames, aggro the tame you want on a tanky tame (I prefer Wyverns or Rexs), let it attack you whilst you snap 4 gate frames around it in a square shape. Back off, check its trapped and KO it. Put gates in once it is down to protect it. I use this mainly for Rex's and spinos.

Gigas I tame off a griffin, or use the metal gate frame and bear trap method.

Archived