Temoralez

How do I transfer my character between dedicated unofficial servers?

7 minutes ago, Temoralez said:

How does the server owner set ID's? Where can it be done?

Its only an option on xbox if you rent from Nitrado. Are you the server owner or just trying to switch servers?

If you rent 2 or more servers from Nitrado theres a who menu tab in the web interface for CrossArk where you set it up.

1 hour ago, Temoralez said:

I'm the server owner. Oh, I see so I'd have to rent from Nitrado in order to transfer my character between maps.

I don't need a rental server to transfer dinos & items, correct?

Im curious for clarity sake how are you hosting? Are you running a server on a second xbox or with the windows 10 version on PC? Do you have multiple running or are you trying to switch maps on the same machine. 

Just so you know renting a server temporarily wont let you transfer your character. As far as I know rented unofficial cannot transfer with player hosted dedicated servers. The rented servers have a built in way to cluster servers to allow transfers with other rented servers. For player hosted dedicated servers there's a few ways to transfer dinos and items depending on your setup but I dont think anyone has worked out a way to transfer characters. It actually use to be possible to upload a character and switch the map the server was running then redownload the character but that no longer works.

3 hours ago, TedyBearOfDeath said:

Im curious for clarity sake how are you hosting? Are you running a server on a second xbox or with the windows 10 version on PC? Do you have multiple running or are you trying to switch maps on the same machine. 

Just so you know renting a server temporarily wont let you transfer your character. As far as I know rented unofficial cannot transfer with player hosted dedicated servers. The rented servers have a built in way to cluster servers to allow transfers with other rented servers. For player hosted dedicated servers there's a few ways to transfer dinos and items depending on your setup but I dont think anyone has worked out a way to transfer characters. It actually use to be possible to upload a character and switch the map the server was running then redownload the character but that no longer works.

I'm running a 2nd xbox and I'm just trying to switch maps on the same machine.

1 hour ago, Temoralez said:

I'm running a 2nd xbox and I'm just trying to switch maps on the same machine

Hello,

I have a character on each map. So just load up the map you want and log in. Your uploaded dinos and items can then be downloaded with the map specific character. Must be the same gamer tag (gt).

This also works in single player. I mean if you don't have two Xbox, one Xbox as server (host) and one Xbox to connect to the map ( client xbox).

Regards,

Ariana 

This is woefully frustrating. 

I have been running a player dedicated server on a second xbox in order to progress all the way through the island ascension to then move on and complete each of the dlc, i have friends and family who have put a lot of work in on my dedi as well.

Now that we are ready to move over to scorched i find out that we cant do it because we dont rent a server . . . at least not with our existing characters being able to learn the new engrams and maintain what we have already learned/collected.

We certainly aren't able to travel back and forth as is possible on official servers as was our plan.

If this is not possible on a Player Dedi Wildcard should DEFINATELY add some sort of warning at the HOST/LOCAL screen.

Its down right bloody unfair that after all the maintenance, bandwidth, money for 2nd xbox, 2nd copy of game, purchase of both available DLC, not to mention the months of playing towards this goal to not only have to search for a definitive answer but to find only vague ones alluding to it not being possible.

Pretty p****d off!

It isnt even about about being proffesional developers, its more about just simply being decent and courteous humans and business people and not leaving dedicated customers high and dry by just leaving something like this in the hands of the community to stumble through and postulate about.

Official answers would be nice, if there is no official answer JUST PUT A DANG WARNING IN THE GAME PLS.

Sorry for yelling.

7 hours ago, Karvem said:

Pretty p****d off!

Hello,

As I understand you. You want a copy of your character on the new map.

Until Wild Card solve that you can spawn in the Island bosses on the new map and use kill command to get a copy of the engrams. 

For ascending you need to type the command for acsention. Playercommand ascend1.

And you have the created a copy of your character, just addexperience number and it is done.

Hope you can do it in your off state of mind.

If a boss gets away into the map use command destroywilddinos to remove it.

Link for commands

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Console_Commands#

Regards,

Ariana 

On 7/8/2018 at 9:32 PM, ArianaGaming said:

Hello,

As I understand you. You want a copy of your character on the new map.

Until Wild Card solve that you can spawn in the Island bosses on the new map and use kill command to get a copy of the engrams. 

For ascending you need to type the command for acsention. Playercommand ascend1.

And you have the created a copy of your character, just addexperience number and it is done.

Hope you can do it in your off state of mind.

If a boss gets away into the map use command destroywilddinos to remove it.

Link for commands

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Console_Commands#

Regards,

Ariana 

Thanks for that advice Ariana i appreciate it, my state of mind has improved somewhat since my grim discovery (last post). Your suggestion solves some problems but not the real one at the core of my disappointment.

I dont want to use commands in an effort to recreate my existing character, I am proud to have got him this far without any cheating. I actually want to bring my existing character with its history and unlocks (all explorer notes, engrams, post ascension lvls, war paint, play history etc etc). I really enjoy the lore and we on my server have been trying to follow the order of events of the original survivors as they occured throughout the exporer notes.

This is entirely supported on official servers albeit incredibly difficult for obvious reasons (griefers, trolls, alpha tribe resets etc etc) which is why a player dedicated server seemed the perfect way to go for my friends and i.

Unfortunately i was not aware that the powers that be would remove the character upload option from the obi's in favor of a cluster server transfer option, essentially imprisoning our characters on the island.

I do have a positive development however, I have hit on a work around.

There is still an obvious way to upload our characters i hadn't considered: Ascension. Stupid i didnt think of it sooner given im following the story.

So what i plan to do when i am completely finished with the island is run the tek cave again and ascend, then instead of downloading my survivor back to the island, shutting the server down loading up Aberation and trying to download my character there. I hope it works.

I wanted to go to scorched next though so i will have to start a new character there. If i ascend and download my char on scorched i will have permanently imprisoned him there as there is no ascension from scorched.

I love this game regardless of its bugs and limitations and am determined to try to make it work, up until my character glitches out of existence in a transfer malfunction anyway.

If anyone has had any success/failures in doing it this way feel free to weigh in, any useful input is very welcome.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2018 at 4:22 PM, Karvem said:

the core of my disappointment.

Hello,

I agree with you. When I upload my character i can not download it to another map just the map I uploaded it from. Example upload from Island and only download to the Island. 

EDIT: that is no longer correct I successfully downloaded my Island character to Ragnarok in single player.

It used to be that the character lost ownership of all on the Island structures and creatures. Reclaiming with command giveallstructure and for the creatures command givetome for each creature.

So the reason I write again is to say that explorer notes are saved to your gamer tag and transfer to where you go amd play ARK. Even official servers, SP achievements. But in this case other maps.

Edit: you can indeed download to other maps. If a map already have a character and structures/dinos you need to upload that character first and then transfer other map character. There can only be one character connected to the gamer tag on the map in single player. So the only issue that remain is that the beds do not turn up fast enough but relog or die fixes that.

Regards,

Ariana 

Edited by ArianaGaming

On 7/9/2018 at 4:22 PM, Karvem said:

Thanks for that advice Ariana i appreciate it, my state of mind has improved somewhat since my grim discovery (last post). Your suggestion solves some problems but not the real one at the core of my disappointment.

I dont want to use commands in an effort to recreate my existing character, I am proud to have got him this far without any cheating. I actually want to bring my existing character with its history and unlocks (all explorer notes, engrams, post ascension lvls, war paint, play history etc etc). I really enjoy the lore and we on my server have been trying to follow the order of events of the original survivors as they occured throughout the exporer notes.

This is entirely supported on official servers albeit incredibly difficult for obvious reasons (griefers, trolls, alpha tribe resets etc etc) which is why a player dedicated server seemed the perfect way to go for my friends and i.

Unfortunately i was not aware that the powers that be would remove the character upload option from the obi's in favor of a cluster server transfer option, essentially imprisoning our characters on the island.

I do have a positive development however, I have hit on a work around.

There is still an obvious way to upload our characters i hadn't considered: Ascension. Stupid i didnt think of it sooner given im following the story.

So what i plan to do when i am completely finished with the island is run the tek cave again and ascend, then instead of downloading my survivor back to the island, shutting the server down loading up Aberation and trying to download my character there. I hope it works.

I wanted to go to scorched next though so i will have to start a new character there. If i ascend and download my char on scorched i will have permanently imprisoned him there as there is no ascension from scorched.

I love this game regardless of its bugs and limitations and am determined to try to make it work, up until my character glitches out of existence in a transfer malfunction anyway.

If anyone has had any success/failures in doing it this way feel free to weigh in, any useful input is very welcome.

Hello again,

I was scared testing this since I do not want to loose my character or map save. But after testing in splitscreen with a new character I dared to try it with the map owner (gamer tag linked to the map).

So how I do it. Upload the character on the map you want to transfer to. Do this with creative mode (gcm) and a transmitter  (tek engram in gcm command). Exit and go to the map your character is on, that you want to transfer, Upload and exit now download on the map you want to continue playing on. Should be the last map you checked if there was a character created or not.

Beds can take a while before they show in fast travel window as you tranfer your character back and forth.

Once again I am suprised how well ARK now functions. And a wow to that.

Regards,

Ariana 

Posted (edited)
On 7/11/2018 at 6:25 AM, ArianaGaming said:

Hello again,

I was scared testing this since I do not want to loose my character or map save. But after testing in splitscreen with a new character I dared to try it with the map owner (gamer tag linked to the map).

So how I do it. Upload the character on the map you want to transfer to. Do this with creative mode (gcm) and a transmitter  (tek engram in gcm command). Exit and go to the map your character is on, that you want to transfer, Upload and exit now download on the map you want to continue playing on. Should be the last map you checked if there was a character created or not.

Beds can take a while before they show in fast travel window as you tranfer your character back and forth.

Once again I am suprised how well ARK now functions. And a wow to that.

Regards,

Ariana 

Hello Ariana,

I made an acct just so I could ask you a question. I have hit this same wall as you and OP. I was curious about your workaround. Is it possible to upload dinosaurs using the method you described? I too want to avoid using commands to cheat my characters back up to current levels. The same goes for bred Dino’s. I like that I can see their lineage and such.

OP, did ascension work? We haven’t ascended yet and we’re wondering how it works. We bought the dlc over the weekend but we’re afraid to lose Dino’s or our character info. Can you explain to me how ascension is a workaround?

Im running a second gamertag with gameshare on a separate Xbox as server to play the game with two friends. 

Im just bothered that WC doesnt seem to support console servers. I bought the game since preview and a big selling point was console dedicated server. 

Edited by VigilantLance
  • Like 1

Hello,

The best way I can describe it.

Xbox gamer tag has your uploaded in-game data, creatures and characters. Plus your played maps naturally.

There can only be one character on each map connected to your gamertag.

So I suggest you try it out,  just in the same map to upload your played character and the press "cancel" after upload. This opens the character creation or you can return to uploaded characters. Your new character is now a new player with own tribe. If you want to go back just upload your new character and download your old familiar character. 

If you create a new character with your old still in your world/ARK it will be deleted so to keep it you must upload/stored character in the map, it is not enough just to be in death/respawn screen.

Maybe you never played the center so open a unplayed map to try it on or your least played map, just in case. However it works flawless for me and friends.

It was so long ago I had a a dedicated server xbox used just as a server with Internet 8M bit up 8M bit diown, it worked great but now I just use the above since it is easy and controllable.

But yes I was so sold on having my own server then. :)

My best regards

Ariana

Hello,

I just wanted to add if you transfer between maps that you must type saveworld as admin command after you download. If you do not and a crash happens your download is never saved in ARK/map but still removed from ARK uploads i.e. lost

And ARK now corrects the reverse action (dupl.).

Regards,

Ariana 

On 8/15/2018 at 7:50 AM, ArianaGaming said:

Hello,

I just wanted to add if you transfer between maps that you must type saveworld as admin command after you download. If you do not and a crash happens your download is never saved in ARK/map but still removed from ARK uploads i.e. lost

And ARK now corrects the reverse action (dupl.).

Regards,

Ariana 

Hello again Ariana,

I'm sorry but i must point out that you keep referring to 'upload character'. That is possible in single player mode as the upload character option is still at rhe obelisk, however the whole issue here is related to xbox player dedicated servers which do not have the upload character option at the obelisk or tek transmitter.

It simply is not there.

Instead it is an option to 'transfer character'. This option searches for other servers that share a 'cluster ID' with your current server for you to transfer to.

Since there is no way to cluster xbox player dedicated servers the transfer character option is completely useless.

Nitrado have implemented a way to set cluster ID for multiple servers to allow transferring, but that is of no help to us whatsoever as we do not rent a server . . . sorry correction . . . MULTIPLE servers from them.

So there is no way for us to legitimately get all the available 133 lvls for our characters. 

Well it might be possible using ascension.

That is . . . run the tek cave on the island . . . ascend. Upon ascension your character is removed from the map and essentially uploaded. Exactly what we are trying to accomplish.

Then my theory is that you could then close the island server down and load it up with the Aberration map. Then when u log into the server at the character creation screen select the download survivor option and HOPEFULLY the uploaded character from the island would be there in the list to download.

Using this method one could transfer backwards and forwards between the island and aberration *SPOILER COMING* as those two maps offer ascension after battling overseer/rockwell respectively.

However i can't see a way to achieve this with scorched earth as there is no ascension implemented whatsoever (stupidly as it is there in the lore).

Now i can confirm that this method DOES work on singleplayer as i have tested it.

I have not however had a chance to test ascension transfer (as I'm calling it) on my player dedi. I will be testing it soon though and will report back here with the results.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 9:34 PM, VigilantLance said:

Hello Ariana,

I made an acct just so I could ask you a question. I have hit this same wall as you and OP. I was curious about your workaround. Is it possible to upload dinosaurs using the method you described? I too want to avoid using commands to cheat my characters back up to current levels. The same goes for bred Dino’s. I like that I can see their lineage and such.

OP, did ascension work? We haven’t ascended yet and we’re wondering how it works. We bought the dlc over the weekend but we’re afraid to lose Dino’s or our character info. Can you explain to me how ascension is a workaround?

Im running a second gamertag with gameshare on a separate Xbox as server to play the game with two friends. 

Im just bothered that WC doesnt seem to support console servers. I bought the game since preview and a big selling point was console dedicated server. 

Hi Vigilant Lance, sry for the late reply.

I'm happy to explain ascension for you, however i should mention that there are spoilers involved just u are forewarned.

In the lore laid out in the explorer notes the original survivors essentially survived/conquered the dangers of the island, discovered the tek cave, were teleported to the ARK control station and then ascended. Ascension seemed to de-materialize the survivors and then re-materialize them on a different ARK . . . . scorched earth . . . and then the story continues there with those same survivors as well as others they find there. This more or less happens again and they find themselves on Aberration.

The process for the player seems to happen almost the same way.

Upon successful completion of the tek cave and destruction of the overseer boss (the island) or the Rockwell boss (Aberration) ascension takes place. 

After being treated to a terrific cut scene and credits you are presented with a screen which shows your characters name and gives the option to download that character back onto the map.

If you exit the game at this point you basically have no character on that map anymore  . . . your ascended character is in a stasis of sorts, either saved in ARKs save data or the cloud I'm not sure which. I believe its different depending on whether you are playing single player or on a server.

When i tested this in singleplayer i then loaded up Aberration and at the character creation screen i chose the download survivor option and low and behold my ascended survivor was there to download! Worked perfectly.

This was just a test as the character i care about is actually on my player dedicated server xbox. Unfortunately there are almost always peeps logged in on it so i haven't had a chance to try this method i.e. ascend, take it down, put it up with new map, try to download.

I intend to give this a go tonight so wish me luck!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Karvem said:

Hello again Ariana,

I'm sorry but i must point out that you keep referring to 'upload character'. That is possible in single player mode as the upload character option is still at rhe obelisk, however the whole issue here is related to xbox player dedicated servers which do not have the upload character option at the obelisk or tek transmitter.

It simply is not there.

Instead it is an option to 'transfer character'. This option searches for other servers that share a 'cluster ID' with your current server for you to transfer to.

Since there is no way to cluster xbox player dedicated servers the transfer character option is completely useless.

Nitrado have implemented a way to set cluster ID for multiple servers to allow transferring, but that is of no help to us whatsoever as we do not rent a server . . . sorry correction . . . MULTIPLE servers from them.

So there is no way for us to legitimately get all the available 133 lvls for our characters. 

Well it might be possible using ascension.

That is . . . run the tek cave on the island . . . ascend. Upon ascension your character is removed from the map and essentially uploaded. Exactly what we are trying to accomplish.

Then my theory is that you could then close the island server down and load it up with the Aberration map. Then when u log into the server at the character creation screen select the download survivor option and HOPEFULLY the uploaded character from the island would be there in the list to download.

Using this method one could transfer backwards and forwards between the island and aberration *SPOILER COMING* as those two maps offer ascension after battling overseer/rockwell respectively.

However i can't see a way to achieve this with scorched earth as there is no ascension implemented whatsoever (stupidly as it is there in the lore).

Now i can confirm that this method DOES work on singleplayer as i have tested it.

I have not however had a chance to test ascension transfer (as I'm calling it) on my player dedi. I will be testing it soon though and will report back here with the results.

I was sure that it worked the same for SP, unofficials, player dedicated and Nitrado dedicated.

Please @Jen look into this. We want to transfer character with one server.

Edit description how it's supposed to function / make it possible. Works fine in single player and official. But there is no local save button for player dedicated just delete buttons.

Regards,

Ariana 

Edited by ArianaGaming

SUCCESS!!!

Ok i am very pleased to confirm that i was able to transfer my original character from the island to scorched and then to aberration!! All maps loaded on my player dedicated xbox1.

Ascension is the key.

I had already achieved Alpha ascension on the island, so i simply used the ascension command 'cheat playercommand Ascend3' (note that this command IS case sensitive, ensure the A is uppercase) and voila . . . as soon as i submitted the command my screen went black, credits rolled and after skipping them i was presented with the character download screen.

I chose to return to main menu, then took the server xbox down and loaded up scorched, returned to my client xbox and joined. As I'd hoped my character was there waiting to be downloaded.

Worked perfectly.

So yeah . . . once u have achieved ascension legitimately, when u wanna transfer character to other map dont go to an obi that just wont work on player dedicated servers, instead just punch in that command instead for same result.

Can't tell you how happy i am that my character isn't stuck on any map!!

I'm now off to play through the story ark's in the correct order, thanks to everyone who tried to help me out!

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

On 8/18/2018 at 7:35 AM, Karvem said:

SUCCESS!!!

Ok i am very pleased to confirm that i was able to transfer my original character from the island to scorched and then to aberration!! All maps loaded on my player dedicated xbox1.

Ascension is the key.

I had already achieved Alpha ascension on the island, so i simply used the ascension command 'cheat playercommand Ascend3' (note that this command IS case sensitive, ensure the A is uppercase) and voila . . . as soon as i submitted the command my screen went black, credits rolled and after skipping them i was presented with the character download screen.

I chose to return to main menu, then took the server xbox down and loaded up scorched, returned to my client xbox and joined. As I'd hoped my character was there waiting to be downloaded.

Worked perfectly.

So yeah . . . once u have achieved ascension legitimately, when u wanna transfer character to other map dont go to an obi that just wont work on player dedicated servers, instead just punch in that command instead for same result.

Can't tell you how happy i am that my character isn't stuck on any map!!

I'm now off to play through the story ark's in the correct order, thanks to everyone who tried to help me out!

Good luck!

So,  the whole idea was to do it legit. So you may ascend from the island and aberration legit. 

But once you decide to transfer to scorched you are pretty much done. 

So we still have no way to actually transfer character between maps on dedicated servers. 

Only ascending between the island and aberration. 

Does WC even noticed that this is an issue for a lot of players?

If they at least release the cluster id to dedicated, I would borrow/buy another  console to do the transfer...

One can at least hope. 

On 10/12/2018 at 12:04 PM, DaniCardelli said:

Does WC even noticed that this is an issue for a lot of players?

They dont care about console player dedicated issues as PDSs make them no money, they are partnered with Nitrado, and its a hassle to get the updates pushed through Microsoft and Sony. This has been an issue for about a year now its not going to change any time soon. Even game breaking issues can take them months to fix when it comes to PDSs.