Questions about dedicated server

So I’m looking into renting a server. My question is can you cluster with other peoples dedicated server? I hope that makes sense? Also if you cluster would you need to have the same settings? I don’t know if that is possible or not and if it is I think that would help keep the pvp part of the game and make it more enjoyable. Any help with that would be appreciated and also if you have any suggestions I would appreciate that as well. 

On 7/5/2018 at 11:58 AM, nicklovin07 said:

So I’m looking into renting a server. My question is can you cluster with other peoples dedicated server? I hope that makes sense? Also if you cluster would you need to have the same settings? I don’t know if that is possible or not and if it is I think that would help keep the pvp part of the game and make it more enjoyable. Any help with that would be appreciated and also if you have any suggestions I would appreciate that as well. 

Hi. Your question does make sense. And yes you can cluster with another admins servers so long as the cluster ID is the same. As far as settings go, I don't believe your settings have to be identical but I'm not 100% on that. I base my assumption off the fact that I run a 4 map cluster myself and if I wanted to I could make the settings different on each one. For example I could have tamed Dino melee on the island set to 3.0 but on Ragnarok have it set to 1.5. So if someone transferred their dino from the island to Ragnarok it would actually lose some melee. Of course, my settings are the same across all my maps so I don't get bombarded with questions from players wanting to know why their dino or character stats have changed one way or another. But imagine you cluster with someone whose settings are crazy boosted and yours are just slightly boosted. When you transfer between, the stats should change to whatever that server is individually set to. Me personally I stay away from clustering with strangers. I have been asked and my answer is always the same, if they want to add a map to my cluster then fine, but I'm still the sole admin of it and I won't be funding it from my own pocket- usually stops further asking. When it comes to unofficial servers, too many admins is like too many chefs in the soup, it can become easily ruined and quickly. Everyone has their own ideas of how to run a server and when 2 or more admins are battling against each other concerning settings or rules behind each other's backs it really makes for an unplayable game for the players in the community. If multiple admins are on the exact same page 24/7 about all settings then it could work but that's a pretty high reach and one I just wouldn't trust. You're better off IMO to just do you and run a cluster of your own as you see fit. People who are like-minded with you will try it and if they like it they will stay, if not then others will come. Sorry for the length and if any of my info is wrong someone please correct me. Hope this helps some. Good luck in your quest. 

You can cluster to any server regardless of server settings, as long as you have the cluster ID.  You need to obtain that from the server owner.

As far as server settings, I would never allow another server with different settings to connect to my five server cluster.  It would give a destinct advantage to whoever had higher XP, drops, dino’s.

Okay thanks both of you for that clarification. I’m paying the $13 right now for the 10 slots and I have another guy that I know and trust going to pay for more slots. So we should be close to 30 slots. Do cluster servers have to match the slot count? We just started 2 nights ago. We were part of a mega and just got tired of the crazy lag from the main base plus all this drama right now with the megas. So we decided to try this out. It really does run smooth and the ping times are very low. 

Archived