Help About Color Mutation

Eleissa

Greetings everyone,

I've been playing Ark for almost three years but still don't know well how to get color from dinos. I didnt try before, also some of my friend tried to explain me but I need more clear information about color breeding so I need your help. If anyone known well how to breed and get color, please contact me and explain me please :) I really wanna know well and focus on this...

I am waiting your good news and comments under this topic...

Not: if you want to write about it, please explain very clearly with some examples. 

Thank you.

Bottom line, getting color mutations is random, and you usually need to breed/hatch many, many eggs to get a color mutation. Some people feel that breeding two parents that look the same (same colors) will increase the odds of a color mutation.  Just make sure you are not breeding parents that each have over 20 mutations in their lineage.

Simply put, its a numbers game ..... just keep trying. (When I first started breeding for color mutations, I bred my Thylas close to 100 times before getting my first color mutation. But after that, it seemed to happen a bit more often. (But I also have like 6 males and 24 females in my breeding pen.

1 hour ago, Eleissa said:

Greetings everyone,

I've been playing Ark for almost three years but still don't know well how to get color from dinos. I didnt try before, also some of my friend tried to explain me but I need more clear information about color breeding so I need your help. If anyone known well how to breed and get color, please contact me and explain me please :) I really wanna know well and focus on this...

I am waiting your good news and comments under this topic...

Not: if you want to write about it, please explain very clearly with some examples. 

Thank you.

Before we begin make sure you know how to check the ancestry line by going into the dino stats. Here you will get to see  mutations in the top left and right corners  of the screen. Next im going to divide this section into two parts, one to explain how color mutations work and one to show you my method of breeding for those mutations. They will be divided by a line for those who want to skip the section explaining how it works.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok first off dont breed any dinos with even one color mutation because unless you are happy with that mutation because this adds in a extra option for what the baby could come out as. 

For example:

Mother Petra-RED

Father Petra-BLUE

The baby will be either blue or red or a mutation, and lets say that the baby gets a ugly yellow mutation, but you want to breed it because it has the good stats from the parents, so you breed it back to the mom/dad.

Now the PT has a chance of coming out red, blue AND ugly yellow and THEN a random color mutation. This creates complications thanks to color regions because you may get one color mutation that you like and still have room for 19 other random mutations with might ruin your perfectly colored PT in the future. A good strategy for this is to cross breed two of the same mutations to double the odds of that color becoming what you want, however you shouldnt do this unless you are happy with the animals stats because it eleminates the chances of future stat mutations as well.

Example:

Mother-RED

Father-BLUE

Daughter-YELLOW MUTATION

Bred daughter with father (son)- YELLOW MUTATION INHERITED

Now breed the daughter with the son and the color odds become-RED, BLUE, YELLOW (from daughter) and YELLOW (from son) or color mutation. now your odds of a yellow PT have become 2/5 instead of 1/4 (the odds when you breed a mutated with the parent)

Now lets say that the mot recent baby was another girl so you breed it with the son who inherited the yellow mutation. 

Your choices for color selection are now-RED, BLUE, YELLOW (from daughter), YELLOW (from son) YELLOW (from newest girl, mothers side) and YELLOW (from newest girl fathers side) then color mutation. now your odds of getting that yellow PT are 4/7. next generation would be 8/11 then 16/19 and then you would go over the mutation limit which would look like 32/20. This means that the odds of getting a yellow mutated PT will continually get higher but your chances of getting another mutation have completely gone away and your chances of getting a red or blue PT have become extremely small.

Obviously this is a bad way to breed because you are only giving yourself one primary color to work with and zero stat bonus mutations so here is the method I recommend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. First get yourself a bunch of kibble for whatever you plan to breed. You will need to tame a bunch of high levels to get the best stats possible. Petras and ankys are a good introduction to breeding because they have cheap kibble, fast growth and their food consumption is easier to manage.

(record the stats of the original four after you tame them but before you level them. These are the inherited stats)

2. Lets say you found 4 good pts you want to breed one with melee, another with health another with stamina and lastly one with weight. First you need to get a son and a daughter  who possess all four of these inherited stats which ideally means breeding two of these four together and the other two together then breeding those children together until you get the two opposite genders. These will be your primary breeders for a long time so make sure they are safe.

NOTE: If you get any mutations before getting you get your mating pair then move them into an expendable tame section and do not breed them or you will muddy up your gene pool.

3. Your mating pair should both have the good stats from the four originals, putting them into the mid 200 zone for levels but more importantly before leveling them their stats should be identical. Make sure you record these and then breed them together.

Now your first baby will probably look exactly like the mother and father as well as possessing the same stats. If the baby looks different then check for mutations. If the baby has different stats from the recorded then check for mutations. If no mutations occurred then move the baby into the expendable pile, do not breed it and go back to step three, repeating until you get a mutation. 

4. Once you do get a mutation decide if you like it because you will be seeing this mutation occur in future generations. If you do like it then take note of the new stats and/or color then breed it back to the father or mother depending on the gender.

NOTE: If you get a color mutation for the head/wings/body or whatever chances are you will see this mutation frequently but it does not mean all future generations will possess this trait. Will explain more later.

5. Once the next baby is born repeat the same procedure as before checking for mutations and moving them to the expendable pile if they did not recieve one. Remember though that you bred a mutated baby with the parents so in the mutation line it will say that the baby has 1/20 random mutations at no matter what. What you are trying to see is if the baby has 2/20 mutations. Once you get a baby that has said mutations then you do the exact same thing again except move the baby with 1/20 mutations to the expendable pile and start breeding the baby with 2/20 mutations to the parents (at this point they are the great great grandparents, a good way to remember them is to just name them breeding pair)

6. The rest of this procedure should be self explanitory from here, basically continue breeding untill you get a baby with 3/20 mutations, then move the 2/20 to expendables, then breed the 3/20 until you you get 4/20 repeat steps, 5/20 so on and so forth until you get to 19/20 mutations. Not 20/20.

7. Once 19/20 mutations have been achieved and you have been properly weeding out the bad mutations/ keeping the ones you like then that means you have 19 potential color mutations (if you were going strictly for colors). During this process you may have recieved 3-4 mutations on the same color region which have been overwriting each other, meaning that you may have babies with a red head or blue or green or yellow etc...additionally because you have 19/20 mutation slots then you still have the chance of all future babies coming out with a new color aka 20/20 mutations.

What i like to do from here is keep the 19/20 and just use that as the breeder from now on, this ensures that 19/20 mutations will be a color or stat boost that you like and the final mutation slot ensures that you will forever have variety in your tames.

Additionally you have nearly hit the mutation cap so breeding two dinos together and reaching 38/20 mutations no longer matters because all of the mutations are not prominant in those parents. As such you can breed a red and blue pt together but the baby may come out yellow, not as a mutation but rather one of the non prominant mutations have returned. Now if you breed those 38/20 together then you will see less and less variety which means that you can now manipulate colors. If your gene pool starts to bore you or if the variety starts to diminish then simply go back to your breeding pair and start mating it with one of your 19/20 mutations over and over to reintroduce another mixed bag of colors.

Using this method takes time and you need to be very strong/established to attempt it on pvp but it ensures that you will forever have an infinite color pallet to work with yet you will still be able to pick and choose what colors to manipulate as time goes on. Happy breeding!

14 hours ago, Aushegun said:

Bottom line, getting color mutations is random, and you usually need to breed/hatch many, many eggs to get a color mutation. Some people feel that breeding two parents that look the same (same colors) will increase the odds of a color mutation.  Just make sure you are not breeding parents that each have over 20 mutations in their lineage.

Simply put, its a numbers game ..... just keep trying. (When I first started breeding for color mutations, I bred my Thylas close to 100 times before getting my first color mutation. But after that, it seemed to happen a bit more often. (But I also have like 6 males and 24 females in my breeding pen.

Thank you so much for your help :) I will try to hatch many eggs and I will report.

12 hours ago, CitoaK said:

YouTube. Look at channels called syntac and tagback tv. They are on modded server but you will learn from them all about color mutations. You will also get an understanding of the sheer amount you will need to hatch to get mutations. Also research the correct way to stack mutations cleanly.

Thank you for your help, I will check on youtube and watch some video about it...also u can write me some tips :)

13 hours ago, Logan96 said:

Before we begin make sure you know how to check the ancestry line by going into the dino stats. Here you will get to see  mutations in the top left and right corners  of the screen. Next im going to divide this section into two parts, one to explain how color mutations work and one to show you my method of breeding for those mutations. They will be divided by a line for those who want to skip the section explaining how it works.

Ok first off dont breed any dinos with even one color mutation because unless you are happy with that mutation because this adds in a extra option for what the baby could come out as. 

For example:

Mother Petra-RED

Father Petra-BLUE

The baby will be either blue or red or a mutation, and lets say that the baby gets a ugly yellow mutation, but you want to breed it because it has the good stats from the parents, so you breed it back to the mom/dad.

Now the PT has a chance of coming out red, blue AND ugly yellow and THEN a random color mutation. This creates complications thanks to color regions because you may get one color mutation that you like and still have room for 19 other random mutations with might ruin your perfectly colored PT in the future. A good strategy for this is to cross breed two of the same mutations to double the odds of that color becoming what you want, however you shouldnt do this unless you are happy with the animals stats because it eleminates the chances of future stat mutations as well.

Example:

Mother-RED

Father-BLUE

Daughter-YELLOW MUTATION

Bred daughter with father (son)- YELLOW MUTATION INHERITED

Now breed the daughter with the son and the color odds become-RED, BLUE, YELLOW (from daughter) and YELLOW (from son) or color mutation. now your odds of a yellow PT have become 2/5 instead of 1/4 (the odds when you breed a mutated with the parent)

Now lets say that the mot recent baby was another girl so you breed it with the son who inherited the yellow mutation. 

Your choices for color selection are now-RED, BLUE, YELLOW (from daughter), YELLOW (from son) YELLOW (from newest girl, mothers side) and YELLOW (from newest girl fathers side) then color mutation. now your odds of getting that yellow PT are 4/7. next generation would be 8/11 then 16/19 and then you would go over the mutation limit which would look like 32/20. This means that the odds of getting a yellow mutated PT will continually get higher but your chances of getting another mutation have completely gone away and your chances of getting a red or blue PT have become extremely small.

Obviously this is a bad way to breed because you are only giving yourself one primary color to work with and zero stat bonus mutations so here is the method I recommend.

1. First get yourself a bunch of kibble for whatever you plan to breed. You will need to tame a bunch of high levels to get the best stats possible. Petras and ankys are a good introduction to breeding because they have cheap kibble, fast growth and their food consumption is easier to manage.

(record the stats of the original four after you tame them but before you level them. These are the inherited stats)

2. Lets say you found 4 good pts you want to breed one with melee, another with health another with stamina and lastly one with weight. First you need to get a son and a daughter  who possess all four of these inherited stats which ideally means breeding two of these four together and the other two together then breeding those children together until you get the two opposite genders. These will be your primary breeders for a long time so make sure they are safe.

NOTE: If you get any mutations before getting you get your mating pair then move them into an expendable tame section and do not breed them or you will muddy up your gene pool.

3. Your mating pair should both have the good stats from the four originals, putting them into the mid 200 zone for levels but more importantly before leveling them their stats should be identical. Make sure you record these and then breed them together.

Now your first baby will probably look exactly like the mother and father as well as possessing the same stats. If the baby looks different then check for mutations. If the baby has different stats from the recorded then check for mutations. If no mutations occurred then move the baby into the expendable pile, do not breed it and go back to step three, repeating until you get a mutation. 

4. Once you do get a mutation decide if you like it because you will be seeing this mutation occur in future generations. If you do like it then take note of the new stats and/or color then breed it back to the father or mother depending on the gender.

NOTE: If you get a color mutation for the head/wings/body or whatever chances are you will see this mutation frequently but it does not mean all future generations will possess this trait. Will explain more later.

5. Once the next baby is born repeat the same procedure as before checking for mutations and moving them to the expendable pile if they did not recieve one. Remember though that you bred a mutated baby with the parents so in the mutation line it will say that the baby has 1/20 random mutations at no matter what. What you are trying to see is if the baby has 2/20 mutations. Once you get a baby that has said mutations then you do the exact same thing again except move the baby with 1/20 mutations to the expendable pile and start breeding the baby with 2/20 mutations to the parents (at this point they are the great great grandparents, a good way to remember them is to just name them breeding pair)

6. The rest of this procedure should be self explanitory from here, basically continue breeding untill you get a baby with 3/20 mutations, then move the 2/20 to expendables, then breed the 3/20 until you you get 4/20 repeat steps, 5/20 so on and so forth until you get to 19/20 mutations. Not 20/20.

7. Once 19/20 mutations have been achieved and you have been properly weeding out the bad mutations/ keeping the ones you like then that means you have 19 potential color mutations (if you were going strictly for colors). During this process you may have recieved 3-4 mutations on the same color region which have been overwriting each other, meaning that you may have babies with a red head or blue or green or yellow etc...additionally because you have 19/20 mutation slots then you still have the chance of all future babies coming out with a new color aka 20/20 mutations.

What i like to do from here is keep the 19/20 and just use that as the breeder from now on, this ensures that 19/20 mutations will be a color or stat boost that you like and the final mutation slot ensures that you will forever have variety in your tames.

Additionally you have nearly hit the mutation cap so breeding two dinos together and reaching 38/20 mutations no longer matters because all of the mutations are not prominant in those parents. As such you can breed a red and blue pt together but the baby may come out yellow, not as a mutation but rather one of the non prominant mutations have returned. Now if you breed those 38/20 together then you will see less and less variety which means that you can now manipulate colors. If your gene pool starts to bore you or if the variety starts to diminish then simply go back to your breeding pair and start mating it with one of your 19/20 mutations over and over to reintroduce another mixed bag of colors.

Using this method takes time and you need to be very strong/established to attempt it on pvp but it ensures that you will forever have an infinite color pallet to work with yet you will still be able to pick and choose what colors to manipulate as time goes on. Happy breeding!

Thank you so much your help, I m very glad to read your comments and tips...also I'm very grateful to you to explain much clear.....

I will try these tips and I will report again :3

Archived