?Best starting tame when you begin?!?

Brutal69

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/21/2018 at 5:10 PM, ForzaProiettile said:

ARK was originally designed as a survival PVP game that was the developers vision for the game. PVE didn't even exist as a mode until months after the first release.

The reason small servers are flourishing is because of the action. People get bored sitting around in their giant base full of dinos unable to attack other tribes because of some alliance nonsense. With small tribes there is no reason to be polite, everyone is the enemy and people love that. PVP players by nature have a blood lust and the developers have given them what they seek.

pvp is pvpve, but people call it pvp for simplicity. small tribe servers are flourishing because majority of players want to play with friends not with 100 aliens because they only can survive in megatribes. but majority of players are casual players and game should be tweaked more for them than for nolifers

If you have access to Rockarrots an Equus is a good starting tame. It functions as a pestle and mortar while it's saddled and it's able to gather berries. Throw a bunch of sparkpowder and spoiled meat in its inventory and make narcotics / stimulants as you harvest and you'll gain a lot of levels very easily. It also makes a good mining companion as you can put a bunch of chitin / keratin in it's inventory and make cementing paste with stone that you would normally throw away while mining for specifically metal. 

I'm on PvE, but the VERY first tame I always try to get is an Equus (highlands on Ragnarok, there are many and you can just pick up carrots). It can carry a lot, is quite fast (level speed and you got a little rocket), doesn't need a saddle to ride it, gathers good amounts of berries and the ability to knock out wild dinos is a great help for both taming and hunting (i.e. bola a Pter and then knock it out to tame, or knock out a Trike or Parasaur and then kill it without taking damage or having to chase it forever). Once you get a saddle, it doubles as mortar, so you can craft narcotics etc on the go, and you can use tools and weapons while mounted. However they don't have the best of health imo, aren't great in defending themselves and Raptors can push you off, also during the tame you're exposed to other players and the environment, so it might take some tries for a successful tame.

On 7/9/2018 at 7:03 AM, ForzaProiettile said:

Violence and lots of violence on a regular basis is the bread and butter of PVP servers. Anything less is not a real PVP server. Your community nonsense is what existed prior to the introduction of Small Tribe servers - entire PVP servers where no one ever attacked anyone. PVP servers in name only.

There is a reason why those safe zone servers are very much dead and why Small Tribe servers are flourishing. It is because people are sick of this peace loving community crap and hand holding they want action and blood and lots of it.

The player base of ARK have wanted true PVP for quite some time and finally the floodgates have been opened. There can be no going back.

once again, what you call pvp servers are pvpve servers. ask wildcard if you dont believe me. griefing beach bobs in there thatch houses arent point of those pvpve servers and becuse there is too many people like you, that play ark to pray on weaker players (or just players with life and less time to play than you) is why ark is loosing player base. small tribes servers solved problems of megatribes, now wildcard need to find way to solve excessive griefing

Guest DJRone89

First utility Dino for me is always the Trike. Even before the buffs, Trikes have been pretty mean dinos to attack and defend with early game. Now after it’s TLC, they are perfect when starting out plus the saddle has remained an early unlock even after the legacy engram level balance.

A close second would be the Iguanodon due to its unlimited sprint on all fours or its jumping ability when on its hind legs. A great escape dino.

First creature like many is probably the dodo, solely for collecting eggs for future Ptero tames.

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 7:51 PM, OttoGrunf said:

once again, what you call pvp servers are pvpve servers. ask wildcard if you dont believe me. griefing beach bobs in there thatch houses arent point of those pvpve servers and becuse there is too many people like you, that play ark to pray on weaker players (or just players with life and less time to play than you) is why ark is loosing player base. small tribes servers solved problems of megatribes, now wildcard need to find way to solve excessive griefing

"Griefing" that is honestly such a meaningless and hollow word thrown around by salty players who get wrecked and don't like it. If you don't like PVP on PVP servers then switch modes. Simple.

On 7/30/2018 at 7:09 PM, DJRone89 said:

First utility Dino for me is always the Trike. Even before the buffs, Trikes have been pretty mean dinos to attack and defend with early game. Now after it’s TLC, they are perfect when starting out plus the saddle has remained an early unlock even after the legacy engram level balance.

This.

Anyone suggesting Bears or, ahem, Therizinos as starting dino havent played from very start for quite some time, probably. Especially the latter one: "only 1200 narco berries/hour" on a 10-hour berry tame outside of events - i'd love to see whoever proposed this torture (@invincibleqc) do it live (hand-picking enough berries to keep Theri asleep for 10 hours straight).

The only thing that rivals Trike as first/starter tame is a Raft.

When i'm starting, i'm starting with a trike to make narcoberries fast, then i'm hunting to get meat and spoil them. You can also tame dodos to prepare an high level pteranodon to explore for a better base spot etc. After making narcotics, i'm taming a beaver and after a doedicurus (low levels) with berries same as low levels they are really interesting for starting a stone base (you can also use a trap or a trap boat to be safe for the tame). After you can tame an ankylo and left him near a metal spot to start to farm ingots. For first fighting dino i prefere to use dire bear, cuz they are really good in all points (fighting, carrying, somes caves etc) they are really easy to tame, just kite, use traps or high rocks (don't forgot to use longneck rifle, cuz with crossbow they are dying) for my first carry flyer i prefere to use argentavis, more easy and a bit faster and you can use them with your ankylo and carry ingots to your main base a low level is not bad too with some level (you can also explore and levelup him with explorer notes).

• Volunteer Moderator
6 hours ago, DarthaNyan said:

i'd love to see whoever proposed this torture (@invincibleqc) do it live (hand-picking enough berries to keep Theri asleep for 10 hours straight).

Keep in mind we are talking about servers that are set to x3 taming, harvest and xp. Taming a Theriz early game is more than doable and totally worth the effort. They would definitely be my first choice for the versatility of what they can farm later on. The hardest part would probably be to unlock the engram for the saddle, but then again with x3 exp reaching level 69 doesn't requires too much time. Just to give you an idea, I tamed 120s Anky and Doed when SE was released. Rates were not even doubled yet and they were 11h tames if I remember correctly so yeah, I really don't mind putting the effort at the start to then have it easy but to each their own game-play, I guess. ?

On 7/4/2018 at 11:12 PM, ForzaProiettile said:

Pretty much. If I can't bring it back to base I will build spiked walls around it and even then I won't leave it for then 5 minutes because I know what happens in PVP. I do it myself I will run around and if I see someone taming something even if I am naked I will make a determined effort to disrupt or kill it be it with a spear or bow or stealing its kibbe/narcotics. Even if I see the tamer standing next to it in flak armor and armed I'll make a run at it and most of the time I'll succeed in doing enough damage to make it worthless even if I don't kill it.

Why though? Where is the benefit for you? Or do you just find it fun and therefore the act is the benefit for you?

Archived