?Best starting tame when you begin?!?

Brutal69

I am starting fresh on small tribe servers and I was wondering what is your guys oppinion on a starting mount that is versitile and able to hold its own weight?!

1)Ptrenadons - are amazing when bred but little weight and stam become very tiedious to use

2)Argies - are super useful especially with the smithy saddle however slow and difficult to store and stay under the radar

3)Iguanadons - not so popular to find however no stam and can put up a fight

4)Dire bears - amazing stats can hold its weigjt but very hard for an early tame

Whats your suggestions!? Let me know your oppinions

Brutal69

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Volunteer Moderator
3 minutes ago, Brutal69 said:

I am starting fresh on small tribe servers and I was wondering what is your guys oppinion on a starting mount that is versitile and able to hold its own weight?!

1)Ptrenadons - are amazing when bred but little weight and stam become very tiedious to use

2)Argies - are super useful especially with the smithy saddle however slow and difficult to store and stay under the radar

3)Iguanadons - not so popular to find however no stam and can put up a fight

4)Dire bears - amazing stats can hold its weigjt but very hard for an early tame

Whats your suggestions!? Let me know your oppinions

Brutal69

I think I would go for a theriz right away. Easy to knock out from a cliff, and totally worth the few hours tame with berries. Will make farming fiber, berries, hide, chitin, thatch, wood, meat, etc. way easier.

1 hour ago, invincibleqc said:

I think I would go for a theriz right away. Easy to knock out from a cliff, and totally worth the few hours tame with berries. Will make farming fiber, berries, hide, chitin, thatch, wood, meat, etc. way easier.

You have to sit there for hours without moving or it wakes up. If playing on a small tribe server with 3x its impressive gathering rates are less important then the regular mode. 

For an early tame its hard to beat he Anklo a jack of all trades dino that can harvest everything except for meat and is vital to getting a metal base up fast.

The Iguanadon is by far my favorite early tame. Along with the easy to craft saddle, unlimited stam, and berry/narcotic farm, i use it to gather beaver dams and the wood inside them. Just park it close, take all, mount and run. Ive also used it to make seeds for an unspoiling food source and used all my meat for narcotic. Also, they are good swimmers.

• Volunteer Moderator
10 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

You have to sit there for hours without moving or it wakes up.

Definitely not. If you camp your tames, you are doing it wrong.  Take in example a 150, it has 9194.5 torpor and a drop rate of -9.78/s which means ~940 seconds (~15 minutes). Wait until it drop below 200 torpor and force feed it 1,200 narcoberries. Then you will have ~1h15 minutes spare before you have to narc it again. You could just put sleeping bags with your narcotics in a chest nearby and fast travel to narc it up. Anky is also a good pick, but I would still go for a theriz probably because they are my favorite tames. ?

54 minutes ago, Hatchetman35 said:

The Iguanadon is by far my favorite early tame. Along with the easy to craft saddle, unlimited stam, and berry/narcotic farm, i use it to gather beaver dams and the wood inside them. Just park it close, take all, mount and run. Ive also used it to make seeds for an unspoiling food source and used all my meat for narcotic. Also, they are good swimmers.

I like the Iguanadon its one of those tames that is under utilized and not very well known but its like a super parasaur and very handy for the early game.

57 minutes ago, invincibleqc said:

Definitely not. If you camp your tames, you are doing it wrong.  Take in example a 150, it has 9194.5 torpor and a drop rate of -9.78/s which means ~940 seconds (~15 minutes). Wait until it drop below 200 torpor and force feed it 1,200 narcoberries. Then you will have ~1h15 minutes spare before you have to narc it again. You could just put sleeping bags with your narcotics in a chest nearby and fast travel to narc it up. Anky is also a good pick, but I would still go for a theriz probably because they are my favorite tames. ?

Well maybe they changed things but I remember berry taming a level 70 something Theri on a server a while ago and the torpor drain went down so fast I had to sit next to it the whole time. It was up there with pointlessly difficult tames like Demetrodons and Gallimuses which are bizarrely more effort to tame then stuff like a T-Rex and Spino. Good Balance ?

Very, very first tame? Raptors.

They're easily tamed as soon as you get bolas, are pretty quick, and are reasonably capable fighters at the start. Don't waste your time with slow-ass, weak-ass dilophosaur fodder, they'll only get stuck, lost, or dead (none of which helps you). Raptors keep up & fight well. 

Iguanadon is a novelty/utility tame. It's barely better than a parasaur in the early stages when you're a wall of thatch and a face full of teeth away from losing everything you've built up to that point. A couple raptors give you the option to fight back with some confidence in winning against stray nuisances. 

Until I get some domesticated raptors, my time is better spent making suicide runs to pick up journal and codex entries for levels. 

2 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Pretty sure you don't play PvP from that statement. If you don't stake-out and you're taming a rex or something you can't pick up and fly it back to base, maybe you're on lava island or some other popular spot, when you leave someones going to find it and  grief it by punching to ruin taming effectiveness or killing it.

2 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

You have to sit there for hours without moving or it wakes up. If playing on a small tribe server with 3x its impressive gathering rates are less important then the regular mode. 

For an early tame its hard to beat he Anklo a jack of all trades dino that can harvest everything except for meat and is vital to getting a metal base up fast.

Anklos are a good jack of all trades but they are sooo slow. They are sitting ducks without an already built base and good luck getting an unclaimed/undefended ore deposit to build that metal base on an official server.

• Volunteer Moderator
27 minutes ago, ConeyAW said:

Pretty sure you don't play PvP from that statement. If you don't stake-out and you're taming a rex or something you can't pick up and fly it back to base, maybe you're on lava island or some other popular spot, when you leave someones going to find it and  grief it by punching to ruin taming effectiveness or killing it.

What does the game mode have to do with how the taming mechanic works? In my book, if you are camping a tame, you are doing it wrong and wasting your time no matter the game mode. His concern was that you need to camp it otherwise it will wake up; which is technically not the case. Now saying that someone will mess with it if you are not around, could also be an argument on PvE saying that someone might just kite something to your tame to mess its effectiveness or get it killed. Unless it is an insane pre-stat that you absolutely want to roll, camping any tame is simply a waste of time in my opinion.

52 minutes ago, ConeyAW said:

Pretty much. If I can't bring it back to base I will build spiked walls around it and even then I won't leave it for then 5 minutes because I know what happens in PVP. I do it myself I will run around and if I see someone taming something even if I am naked I will make a determined effort to disrupt or kill it be it with a spear or bow or stealing its kibbe/narcotics. Even if I see the tamer standing next to it in flak armor and armed I'll make a run at it and most of the time I'll succeed in doing enough damage to make it worthless even if I don't kill it.

45 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Pretty much. If I can't bring it back to base I will build spiked walls around it and even then I won't leave it for then 5 minutes because I know what happens in PVP. I do it myself I will run around and if I see someone taming something even if I am naked I will make a determined effort to disrupt or kill it be it with a spear or bow or stealing its kibbe/narcotics. Even if I see the tamer standing next to it in flak armor and armed I'll make a run at it and most of the time I'll succeed in doing enough damage to make it worthless even if I don't kill it.

lol....I bet you make a lot of friends that way. ?

6 minutes ago, Z0mbie said:

lol....I bet you make a lot of friends that way. ?

I'm not there to make friends ?

I actually take it as a sign of achievement when I go near someone's base and they call out in global that such and such is near their base. At that point you know you've left your mark on that server ?

3 hours ago, Z0mbie said:

My first tame is almost always a raptor or a ptera depending on the ease of the taming area and how much time I think I might have. Raptors tame up fast even with just raw meat. Pteras are just so great for scouting, moving out of harms way, getting less common materials and taming your next dino.

I never used to bother with Raptors it would always be straight to Pteradons back in the days when flyers were super OP but with the changes to Raptors they have a valid use not just in the early game even mid game especially for smaller tribes. Their pounce ability is invaluable against ground players in combat.

Archived