Looking for a bit of advice

Ryan220

Hello all.

Im looking for a bit of advice please.

I've been playing for about 3 weeks now and have been having great fun.

I found some space on one of the Official PVE Island servers at Lon 30, Lat 80 and have built myself a house with a 5x8 dino enclosure at the back and 4x4 aviary in the roof – sadly due to the tame cap I only have Carbo-something or other (not saddled) and a couple of dodo. Looking on the bright side I have room to expand

Because the server is almost constantly tame capped I’ve just been playing at being a survivor. As a result I have reached somewhere near L60 and I lack any decent gear and have not explored very far (I've pretty much stayed West of Lon 35 and south of Lat 77)

Im feeling the need to get out and explore and Im wondering what equipment/ armour/ weapons I should be aiming for to enable me to survive as I expect my thatch trousers and wooden spears aren’t going to cut it.

Im thinking about heading to 45,75 as I think I can see a mountain there and it would be interesting to climb up and see the view. Is this a good idea or should I stick to the coast?

If anyone has any other suggestions on places to go, things to do I would be happy to hear them.

Many thanks

A quick way would be to get your hands on an ankylosaurus closest you could find one would be 45, 45 or 85, 83 (lat, lon), or ask around for a low level one and start gathering metal.

Closest metal nodes to you would be 75, 45 (lat, lon). Metal ingots are like the main currency in ARK.

Then with metal you can buy all sorts of dinos like  argentavis , wyverns, better ankylosaurus to get metal faster.

Should give you a kick start, and have some dinos despite the taming cap.

Running around with a pike can only get you so far.

Hope this helps.

58 minutes ago, Quarinah said:

A quick way would be to get your hands on an ankylosaurus closest you could find one would be 45, 45 or 85, 83 (lat, lon), or ask around for a low level one and start gathering metal.

Closest metal nodes to you would be 75, 45 (lat, lon). Metal ingots are like the main currency in ARK.

Then with metal you can buy all sorts of dinos like  argentavis , wyverns, better ankylosaurus to get metal faster.

Should give you a kick start, and have some dinos despite the taming cap.

Running around with a pike can only get you so far.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for this. I guess a trip to the SE corner is on the cards then.

I think I might build a raft as a mobile home so I  can get the Anklyosaurus back to my base once Ive got it.

1 hour ago, Vengecide said:

If your level 60 make yourself a couples sets of flak armor, pikes, and bolas. I would suggest traveling to a new island server if yours is at a constant tame cap.

I have some metal ingots lying around - part of my daily routine is to farm the river rocks and I usually get between 15 and 20 metal ore each time and Ive been saving them up.

I thought about moving server, but I just assumed Id just end up moving to another capped server and have no base.

80,30 - so the South West kinda area?

I was playing on a 3 month Island save up until a couple weeks ago and I was at around 77,80 - so I have a general idea of how the South goes.

If you're looking for a place to just get a whole bunch of metal close to where you are, you aren't exactly in a great place from what I recall. Harvesting the nearby rocks for a rare metal drop won't really cut it once you start moving on up. By level 60 reliance on metal gets fairly strong to the point where I was smelting metal ore in 5 refinery forges at once just about all the time. 

As Quarinah mentioned, metal becomes everything you make, and everything you make becomes at least in part metal. You should run by and check the location they suggested at some point as equivalent 10 metal ingots per harvesting trip won't get you anywhere quickly. If making it to 75,45 ends up being that far of a journey and you need more metal in higher quantity, you may want to consider building a new home somewhere around 75,56 as you are then surrounded by many close metal deposits. This will both allow for more choice in collection site in the case that the deposits don't respawn fast enough [I don't know how the public servers work], or just in the case that you want to pick up metal on the way to doing something else.

Of course, that's only if you don't have a whole compound built at your current location that you can't give up.

All my locations are in lat,lon - side note.

Let's be clear right off the bat; on Official PVE you will likely not be able to avoid the tame cap unless you are on Abberation or Scorched Earth. That being said, you can still very much enjoy the game. If you are going to stay there and deal with the cap, get yourself a fertile egg (dodo works). The goal is to use it to watch the tame cap, and tame when the egg tells you there is room. A fertile egg tells you too many tamed creatures on the ark if.. well, it's capped. When you can't tame and breed, build and explore. As a new player you have a LOT to explore and that's half the fun as a new player. 

As a veteran since day one, I can whole-heartledly suggest you plan NON official. I'll get grief for that, but you can play and explore and so much more without the toxic community, tame cap, and land be covered. It's just a fact. PVE for official is the red-headed stepchild our lovely hosts don't regard. 

Build a raft and go around the whole island stopping off at SE corner to visit all the herbivores and NE corner to visit all the carnos. Also towards the NE, check out the most tranquil fishing spot, don't forget your pole. NW is interesting as well, especially where the sand turns to snow. Challenging area (lots of scorpions, argies, sabres etc.) and good fun.

I did my circuit prior to motorboats and Leeds so you may well have a slightly different experience to me.

Good luck,

Ham

Archived