So, a year after and still...

OndeTv

... ARK, although being a great game, is fundamentally bugged. And by this i don't just mean bugs that have appeared over time, but ugly player frustrating and anger inducing bugs that have been present from the very first day of early access. When wildcard first wrote that they were getting ready to release the game, i wrote a very large topic about why i thought it was a bad idea since the game was not ready. And yet here we are.

Let me direct your attention to the original now archived thread posted June 16 2017:

Why am i writing this in the first place? Well, because i at the time of this writing have about 1700 hours in the game. Or, what corresponds to more than 70 full days of online time to put it into perspective. Yes yes, i know a lot of people have more, this isn't a "who has played the longest" contest. However, i am writing this because i just lost 5 of my best animals in a breeding stock, since they glitched through metal foundations, into shallow water below. And drowned.

You would think that such an incredibly basic and gamebreaking bug would have been fixed by now, after years of development and paid DLC releases (more snakes buried in that part, but i will leave that out of this thread). I also know that this particular bug has thousands of threads to its name, and ofcourse i am sure that wildcard has attempted to fix it. Or work around it, introduce "hacks" to prevent it from happening etc. Everything but actually fixing the bug at its core wherever that may be (most likely in the UE4 engine).

Is it good enough i ask? In my opinion the answer is a clearcut NO it is NOT. Especially since the game is soon to have yet another paid (and possibly final) DLC releasing soon. Which more than likely as well will be sitting on top of the core, and very bugged, game.

I had actually hoped to eventually change my negative review of ARK once all the bugs or at least the most serious ones like the one above were fixed. It would appear that is never going to happen. And after having played the game for such a long time, why did i leave a negative review you may ask? Well, to put it simply, to warn other players so that they can make an "educated" opinion on wether or not to go through the same frustrations as i have during my many hours of play.

Now, just for fun, let me quickly go through all the issues i posted about a year ago, and lets see what the status is now:

- 1: Nope, not fixed. Dino follow mechanics are still the same, and they can still get horribly stuck in eachother.

- 2: Nope, not fixed. The building system is still glitchy as effing heck. The only comforting factor is using mods like f ex S+ and others, which fix most of the frustations players new and old will have with the building system. Sadly, S+ and other mods can't fix core game issues, like f ex dinos and players falling through structures/world.

- 3: This bullet point in the original post isn't a specific one (you will have to read the original post if you want to know why i can't say fixed/not fixed).

After this, i stop using numbers, but name the bugs:

- Memory usage: This seems to be fixed now.

- The flee mechanic: Nope, not fixed. Still as silly as it was when it was first implemented (again, you will have to read the original post where i elaborate on what is wrong with it)

- The Home buff: Partly fixed. But only partly. If you have f ex a full "box" inside a much larger "box", more than likely the outer box will be treated as outdoors rather than indoors. So yeah, raining through the ceiling is still a thing...

- The range-check issue: Nope, not fixed. Seems to be slightly better than it was, but the issue still exists meaning possibly one or several hacks were introduced rather than the problem being fixed at its core.

- Mating distance overhaul: Seems to be better. However, mating interval upgrades can sometimes be extremely funky even on servers running almost idle.

- The "falling-through" issue: Nope, not fixed. Heck, it is the main reason i am writing this post today.

- better anti-stuck code: Nope, not fixed. Still as buggy as it always was.

- The old physics-issue: Seems to be partly fixed.

- The "what-are-you-actually-aiming-at?" issue: Not fixed. Quite often what you are aiming at on the client and what actually happens after you take an action is not the same. This goes especially for building (snap points), tearing down structures (interact zones), but is not exclusive to these.

- The "why wont you land" issue: Nope, not fixed. Exactly the same to this date.

- The "dismounting left, or sort-of left" issue: Nope, not fixed. Seems smother than the original implementation, but you will still occasionally see your character first go right, then left. Also the dismount "jump range" does not seem to be the same for left and right, most likely due to the same problem.

- The ancestry display: Nope, not fixed. Still the same more or less useless pile of junk is being displayed, where players have made free breeding apps in their spare time which shows the ancestry (among many other things) sooooo much better. Sloppy? Yes, very.

- The "uh, what?" type bugs: Still very much present. There are plenty of cases where a player (new and old) will be baffled as to what just happened or why something is not working, where the game itself will give you absolutely no clue.

- The "where-to-put-this-keybinding" issue: This one i do not know if it has been fixed or not actually, as i have simply learned to use obscure bindings rather than use modifier keys like most other games interfaces allow.

- The "wheres-my-loot?": Same status as it was a year ago. It has been partly fixed, but since player loot beam range is obscenely small, chances are that you'll still lose your stuff occasionally if you happened to not write down your death location or didn't get the option for whichever reason.

- The "why won't it move" issue: Nope, not fixed. For some reason the collection thresholds (which were good since they allowed the player to choose rather than limit them) seem to have been taken permanently out of the game. Because reasons? Heck if i know...

- The ladder issue: Not sure on this one. Haven't had issues with ladders the past 150+ hours of play. But on the other hand due to previous issues with them, i use them very little for that very same reason.

- The "not-really-wandering" issue: This one appears to have been fixed.

- The "huh-what-graphics?" bug: This one appears to have been fixed.

- The "missing body parts" bug: Appears to have been fixed. However, with several of the revamped dinos (f ex argentavis/harpagonis) instead saddle visibility is now bugged.

- The "almost-making-beer" bug: Can't answer this. Haven't made beer (yet) this time around.

So, out of the above 23 listed well known issues taken from my post written over a year ago before official release, only 4 are completely fixed, 3 are partly fixed and 3 i can't answer. That leaves 13 bugs still alive and kicking with the same bad in-game manners as they were a year (and in many cases longer) ago.

This leads me to the conclusion of this thread:
Wildcard, you should be embarrased. Plain and simple. Shame on you.
And shame on me for still playing occasionally when i am already fairly confident that you will not improve the game, but instead just produce more content for $$, grab the money and run.

Let's not forget the random crashes that have been present since day 1 of EA. Lost countless characters on Hardcore servers for that reason alone.
How about fixing Ragnarok? A major region around Green Ob is still a "Crash-Zone" for numerous players.

I'm not holding my breath considering the time it took them to fix the stupid "valhala" corpses in the early days of EA....

Regards.

I do agree that this post was better than I expected, although I dont agree with the writers conclusion.  The fact that bugs exist does not mean that they will or even should be fixed, lots of software ships with some bugs.  Having said that I would classify the bugs into priority order, as some are just annoying rather than absolutely must have.  A DC on a raft that drops you into the sea on reconnecting resulting in death is more of a pain than having troubles with ladders for example. Look forward to seeing how this list has changed in another year.

I will say it's hard for me to get exited for extinction, when the day one game mechanics will still be an issue.  I'll play, get board of trying to build something other than a square or get tired of losing Dino's randomly. Ark is a great idea and concept of a game, something I never played before.  But it's been implemented the wrong way.  They don't seem to want to talk about bugs that often.

13 hours ago, OndeTv said:

... ARK, although being a great game, is fundamentally bugged. And by this i don't just mean bugs that have appeared over time, but ugly player frustrating and anger inducing bugs that have been present from the very first day of early access. When wildcard first wrote that they were getting ready to release the game, i wrote a very large topic about why i thought it was a bad idea since the game was not ready. And yet here we are.

*SNIP*

This leads me to the conclusion of this thread:
Wildcard, you should be embarrased. Plain and simple. Shame on you.
And shame on me for still playing occasionally when i am already fairly confident that you will not improve the game, but instead just produce more content for $$, grab the money and run.

Cactus Sap hydration bug - Language of the tooltip explicitly states that it hydrates when consumed, still does not.  Arguing that "punching a big cactus hydrates you, so working as intended" is covering, plain and simple, for a bad design.

Fertilized Thorny Dragon Egg bug - When cooked, makes Camelsaurus (Morellatops) kibble.  Yep, because ARK, so why the raptor not?  hahaha

The "where the f is the wyvern egg" bug - countless bugged nests, it gets so bad that the Scar will have 2-3 actually active nests.  The rest are just bugged out, with eggs that spawn on the other side of the Scorched Earth (I've found them hovering far north of Blue Oby) or under the mesh, or just don't spawn.

Simple things.  These are just 2 things.  I would just like to see them changed.  They changed Aquatic Mushrooms on week 2 of Aberrations launch:  They weren't giving any water.  I suppose one could surmise, they didn't want to go through the ribbing people would give them when seeing their new product stuck with the same bug as their Early-Access DLC.

Good post...I know there are plenty of bugs...I dont mind some of those...what I cant handle is the full server issue. I mean if you are a new player and finaly build your hut and stuff and log of...cause I have to work 2. You come back and You cant log in cause of the full server. Have 2 wait till I can log back in. Waiting...Waiting...totaly unacceptable especially when you find ur base destroyed, cause you couldnt log in for more as 4 hours.

I love the game and just started playing it for the first time since early acess. I could hardly believe my eyes when my trike stood next to my hut and suddenly the entire front of his body phased through the wall. And if my dilos stand next to each other they *ghost* trough each other. I would have thought something that trows you this much out of the gaming experience would have been fixed since early acess but apperantly not? I could hardly believe the clipping issues had not been fixed at all.

Still adore the game, but its just strange to see that the clipping-issues are alive and well after such a long time. 

I've clocked 3200 hours and I'm sick of the bugs. Nothing like having your basilisk fall through the world during the most important base defense we had....

I fell through after. Was stuck for an hour.  Yeah, we lost.

The concept of Ark as a game is brilliant, but the bugs are driving me away... as half my friends.  The devs frankly don't deserve an Ark 2.  I won't buy it unless it's polished to hell and back.  Lets not forget the most devastating issues... HACKING, MESHING, EXPLOITS, DUPING.

On 7/4/2018 at 1:14 AM, Errol1967 said:

Good post...I know there are plenty of bugs...I dont mind some of those...what I cant handle is the full server issue. I mean if you are a new player and finaly build your hut and stuff and log of...cause I have to work 2. You come back and You cant log in cause of the full server. Have 2 wait till I can log back in. Waiting...Waiting...totaly unacceptable especially when you find ur base destroyed, cause you couldnt log in for more as 4 hours.

Just a tip, add your server to favorites, then in the search bar type the server so its only listing your server in the results. Then hit refresh repeatedly until it shows 69/70 or whatever, then hit join as quick as possible.  It works 90% of the time.  If you do it the normal way the server queues and takes too long (aka people beat you in logging in)

On 7/3/2018 at 8:16 PM, Oldkane said:

I do agree that this post was better than I expected, although I dont agree with the writers conclusion.  The fact that bugs exist does not mean that they will or even should be fixed, lots of software ships with some bugs.

Yes, that's exactly what it means. Bugs should be fixed, some companies do a better job than others but suggesting that bug should not be fixed is just silly.

On 7/3/2018 at 8:16 PM, Oldkane said:

Having said that I would classify the bugs into priority order, as some are just annoying rather than absolutely must have.  A DC on a raft that drops you into the sea on reconnecting resulting in death is more of a pain than having troubles with ladders for example. Look forward to seeing how this list has changed in another year.

It's more than just the order of priority, it's also a question of how important it is to a company to fix bugs compared to how much of a priority it is to add new content. Mind you, every online, multiplayer game is going to put resources into both bug fixes and adding content, because no game stands still, but WC has put much more priority on content rather than on bug fixes and optimization. They should have put more effort into bug fixes and optimization before the game went live. This game has tons of content compared to its peers, but has done a worse job of fixing bugs and optimizing performance.

Have to remember even though the game is labeled full release, when interviewed the people working on the game talk about it like it's still early access.  They made it full release to get more money.  And they're never gonna fix the problems when they just keep patching spaghetti code.  So much of the stuff wrong with this game requires a proper rewrite and they're not doing it.  When you patch something too many times, it breaks the patches you already did and we're back to square one (eating bug, just off the top of my head)

Archived