Raptor Pounce. Really bad design.

Lancars

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Probitas said:

Sorry for the necro, BUT...

Also, ? T F happened to the stirrup, or did we all suddenly become dumb as posts? That stirrup keeps you on your saddle, period.

Stirrup does not help keep you on a horse when something is flying at you.

In fact if you are moving at any pace you are not really in the saddle but more akin to standing which makes it even easier.

Never been pinned indefinitely but am always spamming my attack key when I am pinned because my dino's are on attack my target never neutral or passive when I am riding them.

Mounts serve as protection and sometimes distractions that save you.

Annoying at times yes but personally I have no problem with the mechanic.

And yes I have died from them, generally when I am not paying attention.

You can always attack first and live longer 

On 6/30/2018 at 10:50 AM, Lancars said:

*sticks the needle on the broken record*

So basically when you're pounced your character gives up and lets the raptor rake them to death? I'm in heavy armor and i was basically pinned there till my friend came over to shoot it. For a good two minutes i lay there being slashed and getting more and more annoyed.

You know what people do when they get pounced by big animals in other games and in movies? THEY FIGHT BACK even if they are going to maybe die! You have and axe in your hand why do you just lay there and accept whats happening? Really stupid design. And yes i dodge out of the way yet suddenly find myself in third person pounced on the ground. I tried the bola and suddenly it teleported onto me so its buggy as heck.

Only way i see to bypass this garbage mechanic is have a chainsaw ready and just hold the button down when i get pounced. It allows you to damage the thing.

Apparently game design is an esoteric practice best left to the intelligentsia. If the general public cant distinguish between poor design and non-preferred design, I'd hate to let them design anything else.

Seriously why is subjective versus objective so problematic to people? Do they truly not grasp that someone else's differing favorite color is not an error?

Anywho, OP is claiming that all gambling is objectively poorly designed because players have no control over the outcome. Really depressing how widespread this basic lack of intellect is.

22 hours ago, Oldster said:

Apparently game design is an esoteric practice best left to the intelligentsia. If the general public cant distinguish between poor design and non-preferred design, I'd hate to let them design anything else.

Seriously why is subjective versus objective so problematic to people? Do they truly not grasp that someone else's differing favorite color is not an error?

Anywho, OP is claiming that all gambling is objectively poorly designed because players have no control over the outcome. Really depressing how widespread this basic lack of intellect is.

It's ARK mate. Not many smart people play it. 

I would just like to interject and say that that the reason raptors are worse than rex's etc. Is because they are quick. If they were slow that would make even less sense. Just don't wander around naked or in the middle of somewhere dangerous with a flyer whilst having your eyes shut and you'll be pretty much fine. It's a survival game. Use a bola and throw it when the thing is a bit further away. Raptors are only really a problem when you're a bob with stone tools. Getting pulled off your wyvern? How about making it grilled raptor before that happens?

It also wouldn't make ANY sense if once you have the good dinos there suddenly isn't anything around to worry about lol

I like this game now, let's stop moaning about silly things and get the meshing sorted!

11 minutes ago, Ganonyx said:

It's ARK mate. Not many smart people play it.

It's a solid point, one I've witnessed personally. Ark, WoW, these are definitely popular with the kids.

But I see rampant issues on forums like Elite Dangerous, EverQuest, and economic simulators like X games.

In the end I'm still surprised everytime, like the kids learning you cant trust gaming companies. "I cant believe they wouldn't give me a refund! Let's go get a $7.00 latte."

Anyone els feels they completely broken the raptor now?

This change or bug or features is crap why is it that every creature in this game works and function like expected but the raptor have the most broken mechanics ever. The pounce needs alot more tweaking please and this BS that they can knock you off a mount by just hitting it which is totally BS. Who am I kidding this is going to break even further wish I could get my money back this isn't fun anymore  

1 hour ago, SykoMikey said:

This change or bug or features is crap why is it that every creature in this game works and function like expected but the raptor have the most broken mechanics ever. The pounce needs alot more tweaking please and this BS that they can knock you off a mount by just hitting it which is totally BS. Who am I kidding this is going to break even further wish I could get my money back this isn't fun anymore  

Raptors are the least of your worries  my friend wait till you've  met my great friend the purlovia or his uncle the microraptor...

2 hours ago, SykoMikey said:

If you're a perpetual noob, raptor pounce sucks.  Once you've spent a few points on health and put on some decent armor, it's a minor inconvenience at worst.

• 9 months later...
On 6/30/2018 at 6:50 PM, Lancars said:

*sticks the needle on the broken record*

So basically when you're pounced your character gives up and lets the raptor rake them to death? I'm in heavy armor and i was basically pinned there till my friend came over to shoot it. For a good two minutes i lay there being slashed and getting more and more annoyed.

You know what people do when they get pounced by big animals in other games and in movies? THEY FIGHT BACK even if they are going to maybe die! You have and axe in your hand why do you just lay there and accept whats happening? Really stupid design. And yes i dodge out of the way yet suddenly find myself in third person pounced on the ground. I tried the bola and suddenly it teleported onto me so its buggy as heck.

Only way i see to bypass this garbage mechanic is have a chainsaw ready and just hold the button down when i get pounced. It allows you to damage the thing.

Only solution I see fit, is entering a dodge mechanic to the game. Backward L3 (Running backward for non ps4 users) seems a good idea to me, since no one can actually run backwards, only "trot".

Add a backstep mechanic for every creature, making all fights much more involving.

About the raptor pounce, you may just look to the right and backstep(dodge) to the left or viceversa. Or its range could be shortened, based on how the raptor is moving: standing still half a meter, walking 1 meter and a half and running 3 meters. Once the pounce animation starts he can still rotate in the air to avoid beeing backstabbed right afterwards, thus removing the target seeking mechanic from the pounce. They should also shorten the kaprosuchus grapple-jump from 10 meters to 3 meters, still 70+ kgs to carry!

I hope you liked my idea, and I hope we can find an improvement toghether.

P.S. Though, I am a little disappointed that many here complain about the new mechanic without considering a raptor is a born killer, it would take years to master reflexes and combat experience to actually be able to face a horse sized predator. It seems natural to me that the raptor pounce would instantly kill any other species smaller than him, still, a faster fighter or animal could dodge out of the way, but otherwise it would mean certain death. They introduced a new, species-customised mechanic, which will help us all enjoy our game more in my thoughtful, calculated and patient opinion. 

ARK is a really well calculated Survival game and those who do not understand this will never enjoy it to the fullest. The raptor pounce is just another feature that has been developed wisely and will probably have apt counters to it.

I hope you all understand this and think deeper before talking ill of a game that has continuously done so much for his players. Good luck everyone.

Archived