Raptor Pounce. Really bad design.

Lancars

3 hours ago, DJRone89 said:

How dare the devs make an aspect of the game an inconvenience for you when they should be focusing on making the game as easy as possible with absolutely no challenge at all, right?

Are you a troll? Your so bad at it lmao. The guy you quoted made the difference between intended mechanics, and the failure of others lmao. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The height of the mount makes a difference, so they dont take you off Paracers for example. Level of mount makes no difference and nor should it, a higher level does not make you further off the ground.  As far as I can tell they work the same as the Kapro in what they can take you off, so medium dinos and smaller are targets. Personally I like the mechanic, it has turned the raptor into something to actually watch out for rather than ignore.  People may now have to develop a little more situational awareness I guess.

Guest DJRone89
On 7/2/2018 at 6:16 AM, Corrigan said:

Are you a troll? Your so bad at it lmao. The guy you quoted made the difference between intended mechanics, and the failure of others lmao. 

Yes I am, thank you. I like to be as controversial as possible to add a little heat to a topic instead of the usual white knighting or boring hate train. I’ve earnt most of my reputation that way. My actions do not reflect my comments on here.

Anyway, the Raptor mechanics are more an inconvenience to people now they have to actually think about how they approach them; on foot, on a smaller dino, when there are a pack of them etc. You get punished for making the wrong move, the way survival games work.

We all know what movie franchise most strongly influenced the design of ARK, and in that franchise the raptor is easily the most dangerous threat around.  Intelligent, fast, fearless... raptors are portrayed to easily be smart enough to go after a mounted human, even if that human were to be mounted on a beast significantly larger than the raptor.

If anything, ARK raptors are toned down hello kitty versions of those famous cinematic raptors.  So, bugs (as in the OP's case) aside, we should probably count our blessings.

13 minutes ago, Skiidzman said:

Everytime I've been pounced by a raptor in flak it only lasts a few seconds and I'm free.  There is an apparent cool down on when it can pounce again. Sure, for low levels not in flak it sucks, youll die. But I'm not going to pretend I'm scared of  raptor in even prim flak.

The problem is the raptor is now more of a threat to most players then a T-Rex. The T-Rex you can just outrun it in most cases or get it stuck and if it does catch you it still won't be able to kill your mount in one hit which means you can still escape it. The raptor on other hand dismounts you, deals you direct damage and  leaves you extremely vulnerable.

I feel that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that a Raptor can dismount you but a T-Rex, Spino and Giga cannot? 

14 hours ago, Ranger1 said:

We all know what movie franchise most strongly influenced the design of ARK, and in that franchise the raptor is easily the most dangerous threat around.  Intelligent, fast, fearless... raptors are portrayed to easily be smart enough to go after a mounted human, even if that human were to be mounted on a beast significantly larger than the raptor.

If anything, ARK raptors are toned down hello kitty versions of those famous cinematic raptors.  So, bugs (as in the OP's case) aside, we should probably count our blessings.

Movie Makers are not the smartest people on Earth. So are their unrealistic creations.

Fearless and intelligent/smart in one Person/Animal is a contrariety.
Fearless = dumb
Hunting a Human on a T-Rex = dumb (and unrealistic)
Hunting a Human with Modern Weapons or even in TEK = VERY Dumb

Pouncing the Player while grabbed by any Flier = physically Impossible. But who i am to tell you something about realism in this Game. Where a mere Dino would eat 50+ Rockets instead of being torn to pieces by the first one.
How about putting some realism into this game. At least considering the Dino AI. E.g. Rexes fleeing after one or two Bullet hits from your Assault Rifle... and dying after max. 5 Bullets. Or maybe we start small:
- Raptors not Pouncing Players while grabbed be Fliers
- Raptor Pounce can be dodged and is not: Pounce = automatic Cruise Missile Mode for Raptors
- Raptor not Pouncing Element powered Exo Power Suits which allow me to choke this Lizard joke to death with bare hands. Made of Material which no Raptor ever could penetrate.

Guest DJRone89
12 minutes ago, Moonie1 said:

We can build tek buildings and weapons but we are too stupid to tie ourselves to our saddles to keep from being dismounted by raptors, microraptors, argys, etc.

Or you can use the anti-pick method.

11 hours ago, Zayisha said:

Movie Makers are not the smartest people on Earth. So are their unrealistic creations.

Correct!

While your observations were pretty humorous, none of them change the point I made which was that primarily this game is modeled on the vision of the prehistoric world that Hollywood has presented us with.  No real attempt is made at realism in either the creatures or the combat system, and neither the developers nor the player base has any urgent desire for that to change.

If you're looking for a "realistic" dino simulator, this isn't it... nor was it ever intended to be.  Although you do have the option of joining a modded server where the rules better reflect your preferences.  The fact that you have this option available to you is also by design.

2 hours ago, Moonie1 said:

We can build tek buildings and weapons but we are too stupid to tie ourselves to our saddles to keep from being dismounted by raptors, microraptors, argys, etc.

Well, with the exception of knights in full rigid jousting armor, tying yourself to your saddle under any circumstances has been pretty universally considered a very bad idea.  Hanging upside down from my lashings after being knocked partially out of my saddle... merrily alternating from being kicked in the head by my runaway mount and being ripped to shreds by the raptor still tearing away at my helpless body... well, I think I'd rather take my chances on being able to get back to my feet and fight back a few seconds later.

7 hours ago, Ranger1 said:

Correct!

While your observations were pretty humorous, none of them change the point I made which was that primarily this game is modeled on the vision of the prehistoric world that Hollywood has presented us with.  No real attempt is made at realism in either the creatures or the combat system, and neither the developers nor the player base has any urgent desire for that to change.

If you're looking for a "realistic" dino simulator, this isn't it... nor was it ever intended to be.  Although you do have the option of joining a modded server where the rules better reflect your preferences.  The fact that you have this option available to you is also by design.

You have a valid point here but i still think the pounce in it's current state is bad design.

Let me share my thoughts:

Grabbed while held by a flier: should not be possible, because the raptor has nothing to gain a momentum. he's a sitting duck... eeerm, Raptor in the air. he is no high advanced being. so no phasing technologie* for him. no passing through through your (somewhat) solid flier aand pouncing YOU on the opposite site.
What could be done? Let him make a pounce try which breaks him free from you bird instead.

*(thats humans only stuff, because... technologie. hey WC, how about some personal Phasing Device that makes me invisible and let me pass through solid walls?! Yes... *cough cough*... Stargate reference here :) )

Pouncing you on the Ground:
Well, let's look at one of the best "i get stuck in an animation" designs ever created: Knife fights in Battlefield 4:
If you get cought in the back: it's all over for you. you get knifed down
If you get cought from the front/sides: you got the possibility to fight back in the right moment (pressing you knife button) and Counterknife you opponent.

How could that transfer to ARK:
Have a Survival Knife (new Item?!) or a small gun (the Pistol or Fabricated Pistol) on your hotbar.
- if you get pounced and go "c" or "x" in fast enough = Raptor misses you
- if you got pounced and have on of the mentioned arms on you hotbar = knife/shoot him (while pounced) -> brakes the pounce + some additional damage to the raptor

As for now: Raptors having an aimbot mode (pounce always gets you) which allows them to take away full control over your character, no matter how good or bad you reacted... not good.
Player gets cought no matter of skill (aimbot) = no good design  (nah, staying away from rators doesn't count ;) )
Full control taken away from your Character = never good design (well, exception here: you got tranqued)

Honestly, i like the pounce and i want it to stay. But not in it's current state. it needs some tuning.

13 hours ago, Ranger1 said:

Well, with the exception of knights in full rigid jousting armor, tying yourself to your saddle under any circumstances has been pretty universally considered a very bad idea.  Hanging upside down from my lashings after being knocked partially out of my saddle... merrily alternating from being kicked in the head by my runaway mount and being ripped to shreds by the raptor still tearing away at my helpless body... well, I think I'd rather take my chances on being able to get back to my feet and fight back a few seconds later.

13 hours ago, Ranger1 said:

If you're looking for a "realistic" dino simulator, this isn't it... nor was it ever intended to be.

!

12 hours ago, Zayisha said:

Honestly, i like the pounce and i want it to stay. But not in it's current state. it needs some tuning.

There is always room for fine tuning, no complaints on that score.  Just as long as any fine tuning done allows raptors to remain one of those creatures you make a point to keep a weather eye out for, and that they do not return to the ranks of "cannon fodder" creatures that nobody thinks twice about again.  We have far too many of those as it is.

On 6/30/2018 at 6:50 PM, Lancars said:

*sticks the needle on the broken record*

So basically when you're pounced your character gives up and lets the raptor rake them to death? I'm in heavy armor and i was basically pinned there till my friend came over to shoot it. For a good two minutes i lay there being slashed and getting more and more annoyed.

You know what people do when they get pounced by big animals in other games and in movies? THEY FIGHT BACK even if they are going to maybe die! You have and axe in your hand why do you just lay there and accept whats happening? Really stupid design. And yes i dodge out of the way yet suddenly find myself in third person pounced on the ground. I tried the bola and suddenly it teleported onto me so its buggy as heck.

Only way i see to bypass this garbage mechanic is have a chainsaw ready and just hold the button down when i get pounced. It allows you to damage the thing.

yeap, thats how i felt every time when i got pounced. its super dumb that you cant fight back

On 6/30/2018 at 12:53 PM, Logan96 said:

My biggest issue with the raptor pounce at the moment is how it can pull you off of tames that are twice its size as well as pull you off of flyers as you are holding them. Granted i dont think the flyers was intentional because they usual dont do it, but if you pick them with an argy and the timing is off they will pull you right off your bird and both you and the raptor will fall to the ground. The pounce needs to be reworked a bit so that even if it lunges at you it wont pin you down unless it actually hits your character. 

I agree, I was killed 3 times by raptors because they knocked me off my mount. Even two pteranodons died because they tried to attack the raptors. They need to remove the new buff that makes them op.

• 11 months later...

Sorry for the necro, BUT...

Game mechanics that end up being a time sink at high levels are just a showcase of bad design and a poor substitute for actual challenge. And I doubt very much any raptor would attempt to do such a thing to a Rex, Spino or Giga (Hollywood movies are not a stand-in for any kind of reality), human rider or not. These are supposed to be simulations of life, not lifeless code. Any self-respecting predator does not attack in a situation that would be suicidal, particularly when they exist in a target rich environment full of much easier prey that cannot fight back. This goes to the microraptor dismount attacks as well, it's a nuisance that ends in death for the microraptor. This also begs the question of why these mechanics fail to take into account Ghillie armor at Ascendant level. Whats the point of this armor set if the game ignores it in favor of screwing your pooch?

It also showcases how some game mechanics are OBVIOUSLY PVP centric. (pego stealing, micro dismount, etc.) Worse yet, dumb things like dinos that ignore the mount and go right for you, like they are so smart they know you are in control.....

Also, ? T F happened to the stirrup, or did we all suddenly become dumb as posts? That stirrup keeps you on your saddle, period.

On 7/4/2018 at 9:21 PM, Skiidzman said:

Everytime I've been pounced by a raptor in flak it only lasts a few seconds and I'm free.  

I swear my initial thought here was why is the raptor wearing flak armour and wonder what that looks like.

In my haste to comment this I actually forgot what I was replying too. ?

Never noticed it was an old post.. 

Archived