ARK - Which Map next

DauntingBeef08

This is a question as to what map i should give a try to next, currently on the island and dont have nay DLC yet.

I play PvE on xbox official servers as a solo Tribe. quiet happy to do the same on another map but which would you choose.

I think id like to give Scorched earth a try as its Something a bit different, but from watching youtube vids the constant heat and sandstorms are a PITA. 

The center looks a pretty map but quite similar to the island.

Ragnarok maybe ? Have all the content of Scorch Earth , is free , and have normal zones as well without the constant sand storms and heat. 
I want to return to my Scorch Earth base , which I barely started. But when I just start to think of the annoying heat and sand/lighting storms then the feeling goes away quickly and I just stay where I are.

Depending on hours you have played I'd maybe say aberration rag is awesome and it's free so they're excellent reasons to try it however it is more of the same in a sense it will be the same dinos you've played with on the island, similar climate with a few unique biomes desert scar etc that will be new to you but overall not a huge change on your experience aberration however is totally different. Different animals different style unique map very challenging. Basically depends what your after every map IMO is amazing and great fun but aberration could be something different for you.

57 minutes ago, Wikus said:

Ragnarok maybe ? Have all the content of Scorch Earth , is free , and have normal zones as well without the constant sand storms and heat. 
I want to return to my Scorch Earth base , which I barely started. But when I just start to think of the annoying heat and sand/lighting storms then the feeling goes away quickly and I just stay where I are.

My suggestion is based on the story and progression and that's make a QUICK appearance on scorched to get your notes and engrams then high tail it to aberration. Next to extinction when you're ready/it's released. I'd add rag as a secondary map to jump into occasionally to set up an outpost base where you can retire in so to speak with your spoils of each map, and live with 99% of the content without having to jump maps.    

I did this for my unofficials. I made rag my main map to play and have added the story maps to the cluster. Now I travel to each map to complete the story and bring home the really good stuff to rag.  

36 minutes ago, JackTLWL said:

Depending on hours you have played I'd maybe say aberration rag is awesome and it's free so they're excellent reasons to try it however it is more of the same in a sense it will be the same dinos you've played with on the island, similar climate with a few unique biomes desert scar etc that will be new to you but overall not a huge change on your experience aberration however is totally different. Different animals different style unique map very challenging. Basically depends what your after every map IMO is amazing and great fun but aberration could be something different for you.

aberration isn't free...

• Volunteer Moderator

Note:  On each of these maps, I started with a new character, so that I could enjoy them from beginning.

Free DLC

Center 
At first, this may seem similar to the Island, and it is from the point-of-view of the available animals. 

However, the Center is very large, and includes some fun/interesting features, including the floating center island(and the waters below it), underwater passages, the underground world, multiple islands, connected rivers where you can use rafts or sharks(or smaller aquatics), a bigger/deeper ocean(plus the two air bubble areas), the dual volcano island, some rather large cave systems, more resources, bear caves, a few small usable caves(non-artifact), and large ruins(which are fun to build in).

I think as far as treasure/artifact caves go, this one was my favorite.

Not sure how to put this, but the map makes you think a little more in levels or 3 dimensions, because of how some of the areas are laid out(even the ocean levels).

Ragnarok
This map definitely offers a lot of variety in the biomes.  It has some of the best caves for building in, including a really awesome underwater cave, and some really good resource spots, along with a very good ocean.  And, it has Griffins.  There are a few interesting ruins, though I like the ones on the Center a little better.  And, it has some nice island areas.

There are more places where you can use the tree platforms, including certain rocks in the dessert biome, a few special trees around the map(outside of the redwoods), at least one of the caves, and the underwater cave. 

Viking Bay does offer a some fun features/resources, and there are some early helper resources along the waters edge on the northern side of the island and in Viking Bay.

You also have two caves that basically have mini-bosses at the end.

Of course, this does bring over some of the animals(wyverns and elementals) and engrams from Scorched Earth; but I would never consider this a replacement for Scorched Earth.

Paid DLC

Scorched Earth  

While some of the features of this one have been partly replicated in Ragnarok(engrams, wyverns, and rock elementals), I still love the challenge of this maps. 

This map is more for playing the game and than it is for power gaming.

And, it looks so much different from the Island and the Center, and most of Ragnarok.  Ragnarok has a dessert area, without the risks, but this map is harsh.  You won't feel like you are on any similar map.  The mountain range is pretty massive, the deep dessert is huge (and a lot of fun on the right animals).

It introduces some new animals, which do server a purpose on this map, and that can help you survive it.  I found that fun; my Morrelatops saved my hide more than once, and in more than one way, early on.

Figuring out how to survive was fun.  Learning how to make the best use of your time during certain events provided a challenge.  Learn to plan your activities, based on what your Jerboa is telling you; that is why it is there.

Abberation

Save this for last, in my opinion.

This can change your play style, especially if you start with a new character.  Getting down to places is a breeze; getting back can take a bit more work.  And, you also have to be more cognizant of your time, both in where you are going, when you are going, and how long you can stay there.

This map is less about the horizontal play area, and more about the depth.  Some players can get lost on this map at first; one put up torches so they could find their way back.

And, it looks nothing like the other maps, and parts of it are gorgeous.  I built my base by a waterfall overlooking the biolume, and every time I logged in, I was glad I did.

This map also has my favorite boss fight.  I felt that Wildcard stepped it up on this one.

Like SE, it introduces a lot of new animals, which can both help you, and be the death of you.

Conclusion:

If it was me, I would move next to either Scorched Earth or the Center, though I think I would go SE first, and then to the Center.  Next would be Ragnarok, and finally Aberration.

Archived