server tame limit

Tankerinc

I just came back to this game for about 2 weeks now. I play on PvE.. not good enough for PvP. I dont really play FPS anyway.

But during my last 2 weeks playing again I have found out about this server tame limit 2 times. One on the server I use to play on. I tamed a dodo bird and trike and I was not able to do anything else. Now once again on a server with 540 days.

Really 540 days into the server going live or " Fresh " it is now capped. What happen to player cap? Why is it just server wide now? You see.. Being PvE I was not in a rush like others that knew about how fast this cap can be hit and I have 11 dinos.

Each of which fill a role.. But I can fly around and see a base with 20+ wyverns.. I understand people want to do this raid you can do and so on.. But once again I was in no hurry for it. I was told Ark is a marathon not a race. But now it is a race to get everything you can before the cap comes in. 

I was building a base farming items and BP's to make my base building easier.. Now it is like what do I do? Everyone on the other servers are all saying the same thing. Server is capped. So starting over on a new server isn't going to work out for me. I wanted to buy the new DLC / expack but once again they are on day 3k with 0 people on them.. I am guessing yet again to server cap. This is another reason I dont want to go to PvP.. Being solo in rust was a nightmare and being solo in ark on a capped server that has PvP.. I will not get to tame anything before someone comes to kill me and everything else I have.

So why is it server cap now? Why isn't it player cap anymore? Why allow people to have 500 dino's if the spamming of dinos is a issue? I can understand having 4 wyverns.. One of each. You cannot breed them so really it doesnt make sense to have 20 of them. 

If you have 70 people in your tribe, each have 4 wyverns. How many wyverns do you have?

Before you say that they should share wyvern. Would you share yours with a stranger? Why only one will have the imprint bonus?

Player cap is 70, but most server player list is well above 100. each tames 11 and you already have over 1/5th of the cap.

The cap is too low. But if they increase it, their server will be mostly unplayable. You would struggle to move when near any bases. At one point the cap was 9.5k, but had to be reduced to the now 5.5k because their servers were literally dying. 

1 hour ago, Paroxyde said:

If you have 70 people in your tribe, each have 4 wyverns. How many wyverns do you have?

Before you say that they should share wyvern. Would you share yours with a stranger? Why only one will have the imprint bonus?

Player cap is 70, but most server player list is well above 100. each tames 11 and you already have over 1/5th of the cap.

The cap is too low. But if they increase it, their server will be mostly unplayable. You would struggle to move when near any bases. At one point the cap was 9.5k, but had to be reduced to the now 5.5k because their servers were literally dying. 

1. If you have 70 people in your tribe, each have 4 wyverns. How many wyverns do you have?

A. 4. Imprint should be tribe shared not just player. 

2.Before you say that they should share wyvern. Would you share yours with a stranger? Why only one will have the imprint bonus?

A. isn't that the point of a tribe? you are with people you want to play with. Mates and family and so on. I understand that some tribes are just " Hey I just spawned. Someone invite me to tribe " but I am SOLO. I am not with 10 other people. I am solo. Meaning a tribe with 10 people can tame x10 more then me. Tribe and player caps can be done better and still avoid the server cap.

3. Player cap is 70, but most server player list is well above 100. each tames 11 and you already have over 1/5th of the cap.

A. I am really fine with 70 dino's.. Once again I am solo. 70 would be over kill for me. 

4.The cap is too low. But if they increase it, their server will be mostly unplayable. You would struggle to move when near any bases. At one point the cap was 9.5k, but had to be reduced to the now 5.5k because their servers were literally dying. 

Servers are dying right now due to it. All this game seems to have now is a lot of old players and no one new. Lets take the new fresh servers right now in the list. All of them are capped. Meaning no one can tame anything when it comes a dino. So meaning you are playing ark to build a base.. Thats it. Maybe your lucky enough to get a dino at the point in time the other dino died. But that is a 1/70 chance you will be lucky enough. 

Lets say right now I go out and buy all the DLC's this game has. { Which I was going to do. Just waitting for my GF to get a new computer } I have no server to play on. I can play on a server with tame cap.. But I wont be able to tame any dino at all.

Just tilting really. I want to play.

Edited.

No I dont want to play on custom servers. I have checked them out and they are just not for me.

Edited again.

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/announcement/249-biggest-ark-sale-ever/

This sale to me right now.. Would be useless. 

14 minutes ago, Tankerinc said:

1. If you have 70 people in your tribe, each have 4 wyverns. How many wyverns do you have?

A. 4. Imprint should be tribe shared not just player. 

2.Before you say that they should share wyvern. Would you share yours with a stranger? Why only one will have the imprint bonus?

A. isn't that the point of a tribe? you are with people you want to play with. Mates and family and so on. I understand that some tribes are just " Hey I just spawned. Someone invite me to tribe " but I am SOLO. I am not with 10 other people. I am solo. Meaning a tribe with 10 people can tame x10 more then me. Tribe and player caps can be done better and still avoid the server cap.

3. Player cap is 70, but most server player list is well above 100. each tames 11 and you already have over 1/5th of the cap.

A. I am really fine with 70 dino's.. Once again I am solo. 70 would be over kill for me. 

4.The cap is too low. But if they increase it, their server will be mostly unplayable. You would struggle to move when near any bases. At one point the cap was 9.5k, but had to be reduced to the now 5.5k because their servers were literally dying. 

Servers are dying right now due to it. All this game seems to have now is a lot of old players and no one new. Lets take the new fresh servers right now in the list. All of them are capped. Meaning no one can tame anything when it comes a dino. So meaning you are playing ark to build a base.. Thats it. Maybe your lucky enough to get a dino at the point in time the other dino died. But that is a 1/70 chance you will be lucky enough. 

Lets say right now I go out and buy all the DLC's this game has. { Which I was going to do. Just waitting for my GF to get a new computer } I have no server to play on. I can play on a server with tame cap.. But I wont be able to tame any dino at all.

Just tilting really. I want to play.

Edited.

No I dont want to play on custom servers. I have checked them out and they are just not for me.

1) 4? And the others runs on foot when the 4 are in use? And most high pop tribe is on personal ownership, which means if the guy who own the dinos leave, the dino leaves with him. Which is a fair way to work together without being forced to stay if ever you feel unhappy. Then even with tribe imprint, personal dinos are important. The fact that it's "yours" means more than just riding it. You raised/tamed it. It is thus an incentive for them to work harder. 

2) Tribe works like a company. You can have a family/friend owned business. You know each other well and you trust each other and hierarchy is more loose. But there are big companies where it just doesn't work. Sure, you know your team well, but do you know the breeder team on the scorched earth server well? How about the gatherer team on aberration? A tribe is a gathering of people with more or less the same goal. 

3) I think you misunderstood me, 70 is maximum player at one time on a server. However there are more actual players on the server, they are just not conmected all at once. Mostly because there is no region lock, your neighbors that you never see might just be as active, just that they are when you sleep.

4) I'm talking about server actually dying. Like, hardware malfunction dying. 

Actually, buying the season pass might solve your problem. A lot of Scorched Earth are low pop and uncapped, with a few being capped because they serve as garage for big tribes that owns thousands of dinos across half a dozen of servers. Though SE is quite annoying to play on... 

Also, have you tried out of your region? EU, OC, NA, ASIA... The little lag might be worth the trip. I know of a lot of NA players playing on EU and ASIA on EU and NA. 

6 minutes ago, Paroxyde said:

1) 4? And the others runs on foot when the 4 are in use? And most high pop tribe is on personal ownership, which means if the guy who own the dinos leave, the dino leaves with him. Which is a fair way to work together without being forced to stay if ever you feel unhappy. Then even with tribe imprint, personal dinos are important. The fact that it's "yours" means more than just riding it. You raised/tamed it. It is thus an incentive for them to work harder. 

2) Tribe works like a company. You can have a family/friend owned business. You know each other well and you trust each other and hierarchy is more loose. But there are big companies where it just doesn't work. Sure, you know your team well, but do you know the breeder team on the scorched earth server well? How about the gatherer team on aberration? A tribe is a gathering of people with more or less the same goal. 

3) I think you misunderstood me, 70 is maximum player at one time on a server. However there are more actual players on the server, they are just not conmected all at once. Mostly because there is no region lock, your neighbors that you never see might just be as active, just that they are when you sleep.

4) I'm talking about server actually dying. Like, hardware malfunction dying. 

Actually, buying the season pass might solve your problem. A lot of Scorched Earth are low pop and uncapped, with a few being capped because they serve as garage for big tribes that owns thousands of dinos across half a dozen of servers. Though SE is quite annoying to play on... 

Also, have you tried out of your region? EU, OC, NA, ASIA... The little lag might be worth the trip. I know of a lot of NA players playing on EU and ASIA on EU and NA. 

1. Also, have you tried out of your region? EU, OC, NA, ASIA... The little lag might be worth the trip. I know of a lot of NA players playing on EU and ASIA on EU and NA. 

A. I was playing on a 300 ping server. I dont mind the lag when it comes to PvE. As long as it isn't to unbearable I can deal with some lag.

2. 4? And the others runs on foot when the 4 are in use? And most high pop tribe is on personal ownership, which means if the guy who own the dinos leave, the dino leaves with him. Which is a fair way to work together without being forced to stay if ever you feel unhappy. Then even with tribe imprint, personal dinos are important. The fact that it's "yours" means more than just riding it. You raised/tamed it. It is thus an incentive for them to work harder. 

A.  I haven't ever came across a tribe with more then 4 people in it. As I said I play on PvE. PvP I have seen videos of large tribes. But on PvE I havent seen it. So to this one I will say sorry. That is my drep drep.

But personal owned dino and them leaving. Setting tribe limit of dinos will free up dino limit space. Lets say it was set at 10. Someone left and took 3 personally owned dinos. That means the tribe can either get someone to join with 3 dino's or replace the dinos in general. { I am not saying set limit at 10. } Because if we look at the tribe as a company the smarter thing would be is to reclaim loss by looking for someone that has the dinos they are wanting rather then spend time and resource's to tame and have someone leave with them again. Still maintaining lower limit of the server tame cap. 

3.  I think you misunderstood me, 70 is maximum player at one time on a server. However there are more actual players on the server, they are just not conmected all at once. Mostly because there is no region lock, your neighbors that you never see might just be as active, just that they are when you sleep.

A. I understand this. Really if I had my way. All the servers sitting on 0 players.. WIPE THEM. Small pop servers.. Wipe them. But the issue with saying wipe. People only see it from one point. ALL MY WORK IS GONE! 

But the fact is is when a new fresh server / wiped server shows up. The player count will go to about 120+ active on that server. Yes it will say 70/70 players but it doesnt say another 50 is spamming the join server button. So really there is a demand for a wipe server. Yes I understand that the population of the game maybe to low to wipe every server and that would just piss every man and his dog off and they will go on a rampage. But from me just looking at the server list right now.

You have over 20 servers with less then 5 people playing on them. Why not reset them? Wipe them so people can play on a fresh server. Removing population from a 70/70 server to another. This will allow you to continuously wipe servers. Allowing you to maintain a fresh server people can play on. This will allow for growth as well as allowing for replay.

4. Actually, buying the season pass might solve your problem. A lot of Scorched Earth are low pop and uncapped, with a few being capped because they serve as garage for big tribes that owns thousands of dinos across half a dozen of servers. Though SE is quite annoying to play on... 

A. I am worried about the days on the server. I am on a fresh wipe server with 540 days and we are tame capped. I tried another server with 1400 days and they were about to hit cap. So even if I was to say F it I will start over and rebuild again I am worried I will tame 5 dinos and find out I just hit cap because I got a trike and 4 dodo birds.

I am sure SE has low pop and maybe uncapped. But I am waitting for my GF to get a new computer before playing on them. If we can even play on them. I dont mind playing the game in a harder mode. 

I guess in the end I have to try out PvP.. Frag even thou I suck at FPS I might be able to join a big tribe. :(

Guest DJRone89
55 minutes ago, Bellemira said:

20 wyvern ? Look what only 1 tribe with 1 member of Chinese bring to our server. 

238B102286D48AE00BFF0C23A484C16ADEB1275F

I don’t think he will use all this wyvern or breed this wyvern. 

And? Are people not allowed to have what they want? Officials are public servers.

The server cap is 5500, so that’s 11 tribes with 500 dinos max. However that’s highly unlikely so it will be a lot more tribes with even less dinos per tribe. 

Some people want everything and will use the line of “we need 400 dinos just to survive” which is BS. Just because there are many dinos in the game doesn’t mean you have to tame/breed them all. People have no self control but have the audacity to blame the devs.

The tame limit on consoles was 200 for a very long time post Tek Tier, so the 400 dinos needed was a stupid argument made by hoarders.

The problem with limits is that it’s human nature to fill it up and maximise it, almost as quickly as possible. Everyone has the same mentality; if I don’t tame/breed these then someone else will take the slots, or my favourite; I’m going to drop all of these 100+ eggs on the next breeding event.

Im not suggesting this for every dino.   Only rex's and dodo's but there should be a timer on Rex's/dodo's when they get old and die.    People breed newer rex's all the time to replace older weaker rex's and they hardly ever kill the old ones.    I do use the old female rex's for mutation breeding, but i've been guilty in the past of having a giant cluster of old male rex's I would never use for anything.

Our tribe on PVE has 12 people in it. We have 330 Dinos, including our boss team and a few back ups for when they die. If you have 11 "tribes" of SOLO, as you're saying, then what's your point? We have a lower tribe limit per person than you have, and we have mainly 1-2 man tribes on our server. They have more Dino's than we do, by and large, plus we have Chinese storers on it as well. Yes, the cap is annoying, but you learn to work with it. I doubt you've tried every single server, so you could server bounce or go straight to SE to find a location that isn't capped. Complaining on the forums about tame cap is old news. Learn what Dino's are for, and tbh, I think there should be solo person servers as well 

4 hours ago, Tattare said:

there should be a timer on Rex's/dodo's when they get old and die.  

I was saying this to my GF yesturday. That they should grow old and die. Maybe breed 10 times and then die off. Breeding and old age could work out well to lower the server.

4 hours ago, Gunner120mm said:

Our tribe on PVE has 12 people in it. We have 330 Dinos, including our boss team and a few back ups for when they die. If you have 11 "tribes" of SOLO, as you're saying, then what's your point? We have a lower tribe limit per person than you have, and we have mainly 1-2 man tribes on our server. They have more Dino's than we do, by and large, plus we have Chinese storers on it as well. Yes, the cap is annoying, but you learn to work with it. I doubt you've tried every single server, so you could server bounce or go straight to SE to find a location that isn't capped. Complaining on the forums about tame cap is old news. Learn what Dino's are for, and tbh, I think there should be solo person servers as well 

1. Our tribe on PVE has 12 people in it. We have 330 Dinos, including our boss team and a few back ups for when they die. If you have 11 "tribes" of SOLO, as you're saying, then what's your point? We have a lower tribe limit per person than you have

A. Why do you even need 330 dinos.. Really? I went to the wiki and got this from it " A maximum of 10 players and 20 creatures is allowed to enter the arena. " so please tell me why you need 330?

Is that because player 1 likes wood. He needs 30 beavers. player 2 like stone and he needs 30 Doed? Like come on brah.

This one server I went too.. One player has spammed Trex's like no tomorrow.. We are talking over 100+ and other dinos. I normally sit on 60 FPS.. But this one player made my FPS drop to 1.

2. I doubt you've tried every single server, so you could server bounce or go straight to SE to find a location that isn't capped

A. At this point.. Tried 10 servers and counting. I moved to one because it seemed okay. Until I saw it was a storage server. I never knew what that was until today... I have never seen what it was until today. As for SE.. As I said before I will say again. I am waiting on my GF. So we can start new on a new expack together. Sorry if you cannot understand it.. But even if I went to one right now.. All i got to go on that they have low pop is some random player on the forums..

3. Complaining on the forums about tame cap is old news. Learn what Dino's are for, and tbh, I think there should be solo person servers as well 

A. Old to you.. But I am great believe in.. SPEAK UP! Be strong. If something isn't right. Speak up! 

The server I am talking about that was 540 day. It is now at 560. Yes I am pissed.. Who the heck wouldn't be when you have never came across this crap before in your life. But I am still looking.. I would love it if someone said " This server is 100% uncapped. In fact the players on it aren't just Dino farmers they are players and you will be fine to play on it for a bit. " 

But yes a solo / duo server would be more then epic. A server where it cannot be downloaded too. 

Also Bellemira that is fragged up. I hope the devs do something about it. Since they claimed here they will.

2 hours ago, Tankerinc said:

A. Why do you even need 330 dinos.. Really? I went to the wiki and got this from it " A maximum of 10 players and 20 creatures is allowed to enter the arena. " so please tell me why you need 330?

You clearly don't understand Ark's breeding mechanics. You need to hatch hundreds of eggs to get one relevant stat mutation. You have to tame hundreds of a specific dino just to get a decent base line to even start breeding. These bosses will wreck you with inferior dino's. The other day I lost a 40k hp 116 armor saddled tank Rex in a fight I have run 100's of time using that Rex in the same role. That's Ark.

I limit myself to less than 250 dino's but there is very few excess. The fact the guy above me has 330 dino's for 12 people is actually really impressive. That's self control.

Boss Rex and Theri's. Farming dino's. Kibble dino's (and only the annoying to tame imprint kibble dino's plus Scorpions for Tek Rex's). Passion projects to get awesome stats that go slower because of the limit I impose on myself but some people don't want to wait as long so more hatches means more chances for that next mutation and if you've ever bought an awesome statted dino or egg that is how it got there.  Not from a fresh tame.

Ark is a sandbox game with numerous ways to play. Someones way to play may not necessarily match how you play but it's different not wrong. Taming and Breeding for Bosses and to trade within the larger Ark community are my thing. Some people like building. Some people just want to explore. (PvE specific)

If you want a server without downloads I think the primitive servers operate like that. Bosses are less of a thing other than accomplishment and story line progression since tek and element does nothing for you.

I still beat the drum for self control from people but as I understand Ark more I get why people have max limit. I still think the tribe dino limit should be reduced back to legacy numbers (200-250) and I still think it's crappy to create storage servers. I have no problem with someone buying the game twice and creating two tribes to share dino's. They spent the money so earned that in my opinion. I have no problem with alliances sharing dino's. That could help in the long run really as it could mean shared kibble so less useless dino's on the server. I have no problem with transfers since I enjoy the cross ark trade market as well as different things each map offers be it ease of artifact gathering, better tames to add to your breeding lines, or unique dino's. 

The main thing to understand about Ark is numbers rule. The random number generator controls all so more chances means better results faster. 

I needed a better Rex BP. I took a weekend in Ark where I ran the swamp cave on the island just about every 2 hours (sometimes less) and came out of there with that Rex BP. One trip may net it, 50 trips may not, but you increase your chances with those 50 trips in 100 hours over 5 trips in the same time frame. The same goes for breeding for stats and for taming. 

I hunted diligently for higher Argy weight for 6 weeks. Every 135+ dropped, a large number of them tamed. When I didn't get anything else after taming one with 768 weight I started to breed for weight mutations. Probably 500 eggs to go from 768 to 784. Probably 200 eggs to go from 784 to 800. 2 weeks ago (maybe longer time frames blur) I was bored wrapping up my night. I downed a 150 Argy just because. Tamed it. 800 weight clean with no mutations. 

That's Ark. Number's rule. If you want to play on officials you should understand that concept. 

16 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

You clearly don't understand Ark's breeding mechanics. You need to hatch hundreds of eggs to get one relevant stat mutation. You have to tame hundreds of a specific dino just to get a decent base line to even start breeding. These bosses will wreck you with inferior dino's. The other day I lost a 40k hp 116 armor saddled tank Rex in a fight I have run 100's of time using that Rex in the same role. That's Ark.

I limit myself to less than 250 dino's but there is very few excess. The fact the guy above me has 330 dino's for 12 people is actually really impressive. That's self control.

Boss Rex and Theri's. Farming dino's. Kibble dino's (and only the annoying to tame imprint kibble dino's plus Scorpions for Tek Rex's). Passion projects to get awesome stats that go slower because of the limit I impose on myself but some people don't want to wait as long so more hatches means more chances for that next mutation and if you've ever bought an awesome statted dino or egg that is how it got there.  Not from a fresh tame.

Ark is a sandbox game with numerous ways to play. Someones way to play may not necessarily match how you play but it's different not wrong. Taming and Breeding for Bosses and to trade within the larger Ark community are my thing. Some people like building. Some people just want to explore. (PvE specific)

If you want a server without downloads I think the primitive servers operate like that. Bosses are less of a thing other than accomplishment and story line progression since tek and element does nothing for you.

I still beat the drum for self control from people but as I understand Ark more I get why people have max limit. I still think the tribe dino limit should be reduced back to legacy numbers (200-250) and I still think it's crappy to create storage servers. I have no problem with someone buying the game twice and creating two tribes to share dino's. They spent the money so earned that in my opinion. I have no problem with alliances sharing dino's. That could help in the long run really as it could mean shared kibble so less useless dino's on the server. I have no problem with transfers since I enjoy the cross ark trade market as well as different things each map offers be it ease of artifact gathering, better tames to add to your breeding lines, or unique dino's. 

The main thing to understand about Ark is numbers rule. The random number generator controls all so more chances means better results faster. 

I needed a better Rex BP. I took a weekend in Ark where I ran the swamp cave on the island just about every 2 hours (sometimes less) and came out of there with that Rex BP. One trip may net it, 50 trips may not, but you increase your chances with those 50 trips in 100 hours over 5 trips in the same time frame. The same goes for breeding for stats and for taming. 

I hunted diligently for higher Argy weight for 6 weeks. Every 135+ dropped, a large number of them tamed. When I didn't get anything else after taming one with 768 weight I started to breed for weight mutations. Probably 500 eggs to go from 768 to 784. Probably 200 eggs to go from 784 to 800. 2 weeks ago (maybe longer time frames blur) I was bored wrapping up my night. I downed a 150 Argy just because. Tamed it. 800 weight clean with no mutations. 

That's Ark. Number's rule. If you want to play on officials you should understand that concept. 

I understand it. Really. Some people go ham over breeding and arenas and so on. But there is still a very big issue with  storage servers / Server tame cap and so on. Storage server can be used as a player server but doesnt because someone has just put 100+ Trex's at red spire / blue / green.. 

Heck this is now the 6th server I have tried that has hit tame cap. I go to red spire to upload to a new server.. 100+ trex's just put there. Some people have gone as far as blocking off the spires all together to them. When checking server data for the player / tribe that has the dinos there... Havent played more then 5 hours on the server. Sure you need / want 500 dinos. Mutations and so on. But heck it is really making it hard for someone like me to just have some fun.

Soon all the servers are going to be capped. Because a few tribes want to store 100+ dinos on each damn server!

On 6/28/2018 at 10:33 PM, DJRone89 said:

And? Are people not allowed to have what they want? Officials are public servers.

The server cap is 5500, so that’s 11 tribes with 500 dinos max. However that’s highly unlikely so it will be a lot more tribes with even less dinos per tribe. 

Some people want everything and will use the line of “we need 400 dinos just to survive” which is BS. Just because there are many dinos in the game doesn’t mean you have to tame/breed them all. People have no self control but have the audacity to blame the devs.

The tame limit on consoles was 200 for a very long time post Tek Tier, so the 400 dinos needed was a stupid argument made by hoarders.

The problem with limits is that it’s human nature to fill it up and maximise it, almost as quickly as possible. Everyone has the same mentality; if I don’t tame/breed these then someone else will take the slots, or my favourite; I’m going to drop all of these 100+ eggs on the next breeding event.

No. The use of servers as dino storage is disgusting. On my Fresh PVE server that started some few months ago, the Chinese have already split themselves into 4 different tribes, built next to eachother as allies, and built large empty dino pens. A Chinese/English speaker told the server they are brining over hoards of Dino's for storage once they open up the server for downloads here in the next few weeks. So 4 tribes have prepared for brining over 2,000 Dino's once downloading is enabled. That's nice.. so everyone else on the server who knows.. or has flown past their 4 bases with large, empty, open pens and figured out their plans for themselves have begun mass taming dodos and spamming rafts to prevent them from doing so. The Chinese tribes found out everyone knows, so they began a MASS pillar war with litterally everyone on the server. 

Public servers or not, people shouldn't be  able to do this. There's actually a fifth tribe now with a large open pen, but we managed to pillar them off so they couldn't expand their dino pen. They will have to rebuild elsewhere.  There's five of us from different tribes that actively fly around looking for Chinese tribes that just joined or have started to build and we, communicating via discord, are making an effort to search and disrupt their attempts to use over half of our servers tame cap as dino storage. 

No thanks. 

On 6/30/2018 at 8:55 PM, Corrigan said:

No. The use of servers as dino storage is disgusting. On my Fresh PVE server that started some few months ago, the Chinese have already split themselves into 4 different tribes, built next to eachother as allies, and built large empty dino pens. A Chinese/English speaker told the server they are brining over hoards of Dino's for storage once they open up the server for downloads here in the next few weeks. So 4 tribes have prepared for brining over 2,000 Dino's once downloading is enabled. That's nice.. so everyone else on the server who knows.. or has flown past their 4 bases with large, empty, open pens and figured out their plans for themselves have begun mass taming dodos and spamming rafts to prevent them from doing so. The Chinese tribes found out everyone knows, so they began a MASS pillar war with litterally everyone on the server. 

Public servers or not, people shouldn't be  able to do this. There's actually a fifth tribe now with a large open pen, but we managed to pillar them off so they couldn't expand their dino pen. They will have to rebuild elsewhere.  There's five of us from different tribes that actively fly around looking for Chinese tribes that just joined or have started to build and we, communicating via discord, are making an effort to search and disrupt their attempts to use over half of our servers tame cap as dino storage. 

No thanks. 

I really stopped playing the game. I came from a break and didnt even last 2 weeks.. 20 servers.. 10 transfers. Now I just give up. I tried to make a post about this issue on steam forums.. Only to be told " Go to custom servers ". It just seems everyone in this game including the dev's just dont care about server tame caps and storage servers.

Even thou.. No one will need 1000 dinos in a tribe. Limit the tribe to 10 people. Make a solo player PvE server only. WIPE Half the servers. Heck they can do a lot to help people. I just dont know why they dont.

On 6/30/2018 at 11:39 PM, Rednl said:

lots a servers are caped 

I know. I do not play FPS { First person shooters } I am more of RTS player. I got master rank in SC2 / LoL I got silver and so on. FPS.. Completely trash. I am a walking feed bag. So I see no real reason to play PvP { even thou I tried } Since the PvE servers are all capped. Something needs to happen and happen fast. 

I want to play this game. My GF on the 11th of July will want to play this game.. Just wipe 20 low pop servers.. You know the ones that are used as storage. You can tell which ones they are easy. They have like 5 people on them and server is tamed capped. Heck you even wipe servers with 0 players on them and they are at tame cap!

On 6/30/2018 at 11:55 PM, BrixunMortar said:

20+  imprint dinos  means 40-60? Dinos? 20 boss rexs, 20 boss theris, 20 boss megatheriums. Plus day to day use dinos gives u 130 dinos, if u run solo

130 is a bit over kill for me. I just like to frag about. Tame a dino here or there. Build this a bit more. Not really into the boss arena stuff. I will do it. Just not in a rush.

On 6/29/2018 at 3:04 AM, Tankerinc said:

I was saying this to my GF yesturday. That they should grow old and die. Maybe breed 10 times and then die off. Breeding and old age could work out well to lower the server.

1. Our tribe on PVE has 12 people in it. We have 330 Dinos, including our boss team and a few back ups for when they die. If you have 11 "tribes" of SOLO, as you're saying, then what's your point? We have a lower tribe limit per person than you have

Is that because player 1 likes wood. He needs 30 beavers. player 2 like stone and he needs 30 Doed? Like come on brah.

This one server I went too.. One player has spammed Trex's like no tomorrow.. We are talking over 100+ and other dinos. I normally sit on 60 FPS.. But this one player made my FPS drop to 1.

2. I doubt you've tried every single server, so you could server bounce or go straight to SE to find a location that isn't capped

A. At this point.. Tried 10 servers and counting. I moved to one because it seemed okay. Until I saw it was a storage server. I never knew what that was until today... I have never seen what it was until today. As for SE.. As I said before I will say again. I am waiting on my GF. So we can start new on a new expack together. Sorry if you cannot understand it.. But even if I went to one right now.. All i got to go on that they have low pop is some random player on the forums..

3. Complaining on the forums about tame cap is old news. Learn what Dino's are for, and tbh, I think there should be solo person servers as well 

A. Old to you.. But I am great believe in.. SPEAK UP! Be strong. If something isn't right. Speak up! 

The server I am talking about that was 540 day. It is now at 560. Yes I am pissed.. Who the heck wouldn't be when you have never came across this crap before in your life. But I am still looking.. I would love it if someone said " This server is 100% uncapped. In fact the players on it aren't just Dino farmers they are players and you will be fine to play on it for a bit. " 

But yes a solo / duo server would be more then epic. A server where it cannot be downloaded too. 

Also Bellemira that is fragged up. I hope the devs do something about it. Since they claimed here they will.

We need 330 Dino's for: 4 yutes, breeding pair, 1 back up, 1 boss. They take 8 days to raise, so you need the back ups in case boss fight goes bad. 

40 boss rexes, 18 for fight, 10 breeders, 12 back ups.

5 daedons: 2 breeders, 3 back ups.

30 argies (one main, one back up per person, rest breeders for when they inevitably get killed by people who have been playing less than a month)

wyverns, doeds, griffins, theris, mammoths, beavers, ankys, etc. you were talking about needing a total of 30 Dino's? So our people aren't supposed to have 30 Dino's each? That number would be 360, we have 30 less than that. And tbh, sitting here on the forums doesn't do anything. Devs don't care, because we should have the ability to have Dino's we, as a tribe, want, same as you. 

You want to know whats really messing up your experience? Kibble. Kibble and kibble farms are why every server you've been to is capped way out. Even on non storage servers, maps like rag pretty much require you to have around 300 Dino's to have kibble for tame and for imprinting. 

• 1 month later...

There is a simple fact here, all seem to ignore.  Wildcard built this game primarily for PVP.  Base construction, beyond fortifications was an afterthought.  Solo play and PVE really not their intention, nor anything they've ever demonstrated giving one whit about.  PVP only.  All they care about.  All others can go F themselves.

See, on PVP, you won't ever run into this.  Dinos are killed too fast.  Breeding massive numbers would be REALLY hard, since your breeding facility would be too tempting for other teams to come and wipe out.  So, the notion of there being 10,000 tamed dinos the server must constantly refresh never occurred to Wildcard.

But, it turns out, the largest explosion of interest for the game was single player, and PVE, especially in modded environments, but in the vanilla Ark servers, too.  Sure, PVP rocks for those that play it, but they have a vast number of PVE players, too.  All of whom they're telling to go F themselves every day.

Sorry to be harsh, but honestly... I've played a long time on custom servers.  Wanted the harsh official server experience.  What did I find?  First, player greed ruins the experience.  Every damn inch of the surface of nearly every server map is covered with blasted pillars.  That's some idiot running around peeing on things.  Saying, "This is mine, and that is mine, and all this is mine, too."  

Did they build?  Nope.  Endless pillars, and some really crappy few walls (oh, they wall off all the rivers, too, so you can't get anywhere).

So, the new player dies over and over and over, just of thirst or hunger, as he tries to navigate the map naked, constantly losing whatever tools he has managed to make, when he is killed by a 100 level dilo or something, and respawns three rations of food away from his old corpse.  

No way to even set up a campfire to cook meat.  Berries only for you.  If you live long enough to pick them.

Now, days of this nonsense, and you FINALLY find a spot.  Some fool miscalculated, and there's a 5 foundation wide gap in his pillars.  Wee, you can lay down a thatch structure.  Build one of those long narrow "tiny homes" you see so much these days in the real world.

Wow, you're established!  Finally!  Now, time to tame up a few dinos so you can start to really build.  Something to get you mad berries for narcotics, something to protect you and help you hunt and get meat and hide, and maybe a flyer so you can explore and find a better base location...  You hunt, you finally manage to get that raptor down, after grinding to get a crossbow and tranq arrows... you approach him to open his inventory and put some food in there to tame and... "TOO MANY TAME DINOS ON THE ARK!"  

WHAT?  Okay, wait a minute... I've wasted hours and hours and hours... days of my real life in this game, only to reach this point and get a giant middle finger and razzy, saying, "HA HA, go f-off you panzy non PVP player, you!"

Seriously?

See, this is NOT hard to fix.  Not at all.  If they actually wanted people playing PVE, and that community to grow, they merely would need to have a throttling per player cap.  Right now, I can't even get ONE dino.  Not one.  I'd settle for like, 6, maybe 8, total.  If that's all I could have.

Two mechanics would fix this.  Well, three.

One, instant killing of dinos.  Don't want it... POOF.  

Two, warning and killing of long idle dinos.  There's a dodo belonging to a player sitting literally in mid air right outside my tiny little joke of a base.  Been there for weeks.  Never moved.  Not being touched.  It's not making eggs, not doing anything useful.  Just another of the guy's greed clutch, along with his bazillion pillars.  Oh, he logs in once a week or so, to keep refreshing the damn timers, so I can't whack any pillars.

So, whack the long idle dinos.  Give the player an alert.  Say, one week before they're due to be whacked, he gets an alert.  BUT, if all he does is move them once, to "reset" it, nope... still whacked.  They need to be actually used.

Finally, hard limits on number of players in a server.  Don't lie to us and tell us you have X number of servers available, when most of them have hit their tame limits.  A tame limited server is OFFLINE to new players.  Period, done, end of story.  No new players allowed on any server within 10% of its tame limit. 

Established players bitch non stop in the chat about all the newbies coming in and hitting the tame limit... but they're of course wrong.  Newbies can't tame hoards of dinos.  It's the established player who is breeding 300 dilos, just because he wants one that's pink and green... who has 50 dodos in an egg farm, but really lets most of the eggs rot.  New players get a couple of dinos, then get them killed, rinse and repeat.  You can't begin to "collect" until you've established, and built a base large enough to safely house them.  I finally managed to tame one on my server (once in a while there's a taming slot available), but an alpha raptor ran past my base, and whacked it.  I don't have room for an interior housing for pets at the moment, due to the pillars.  Such is life in the Ark.

But, really, why lie to us.  A server at tame limit is NOT a playable server.  PERIOD.  New players should be warned up front, "This server will not allow you most of the Ark experience, as you cannot tame dinos... go away."

Same with the pillars everywhere.  Again, an EASY mechanic to resolve and not a problem on PVP, since you can just destroy an errant pillar, any time.  

The easy mechanic is to only protect CONNECTED structures long term.  Any lone pillar gets 24 hours for you to build on it, and then it becomes public domain.  If you have a connected structure, with functioning things in it, that can have a radius around it.  But it would need to be an occupied structure, that is regularly operated (doors opened, things done inside).  Again, building an endless set of 1 foundation, 2 walls, 1 storage box, 1 item in box to get around this... not that hard to fix.  If you cared.

Does Wildcard?  No.  Clearly not.  They do not provide any way to see if a server is playable for PVE.  Only pings and body count, which is valuable for PVP.  

15 minutes ago, JamesBean said:

There is a simple fact here, all seem to ignore.  Wildcard built this game primarily for PVP.  Base construction, beyond fortifications was an afterthought.  Solo play and PVE really not their intention, nor anything they've ever demonstrated giving one whit about.  PVP only.  All they care about.  All others can go F themselves.

See, on PVP, you won't ever run into this.  Dinos are killed too fast.  Breeding massive numbers would be REALLY hard, since your breeding facility would be too tempting for other teams to come and wipe out.  So, the notion of there being 10,000 tamed dinos the server must constantly refresh never occurred to Wildcard.

But, it turns out, the largest explosion of interest for the game was single player, and PVE, especially in modded environments, but in the vanilla Ark servers, too.  Sure, PVP rocks for those that play it, but they have a vast number of PVE players, too.  All of whom they're telling to go F themselves every day.

Sorry to be harsh, but honestly... I've played a long time on custom servers.  Wanted the harsh official server experience.  What did I find?  First, player greed ruins the experience.  Every damn inch of the surface of nearly every server map is covered with blasted pillars.  That's some idiot running around peeing on things.  Saying, "This is mine, and that is mine, and all this is mine, too."  

Did they build?  Nope.  Endless pillars, and some really crappy few walls (oh, they wall off all the rivers, too, so you can't get anywhere).

So, the new player dies over and over and over, just of thirst or hunger, as he tries to navigate the map naked, constantly losing whatever tools he has managed to make, when he is killed by a 100 level dilo or something, and respawns three rations of food away from his old corpse.  

No way to even set up a campfire to cook meat.  Berries only for you.  If you live long enough to pick them.

Now, days of this nonsense, and you FINALLY find a spot.  Some fool miscalculated, and there's a 5 foundation wide gap in his pillars.  Wee, you can lay down a thatch structure.  Build one of those long narrow "tiny homes" you see so much these days in the real world.

Wow, you're established!  Finally!  Now, time to tame up a few dinos so you can start to really build.  Something to get you mad berries for narcotics, something to protect you and help you hunt and get meat and hide, and maybe a flyer so you can explore and find a better base location...  You hunt, you finally manage to get that raptor down, after grinding to get a crossbow and tranq arrows... you approach him to open his inventory and put some food in there to tame and... "TOO MANY TAME DINOS ON THE ARK!"  

WHAT?  Okay, wait a minute... I've wasted hours and hours and hours... days of my real life in this game, only to reach this point and get a giant middle finger and razzy, saying, "HA HA, go f-off you panzy non PVP player, you!"

Seriously?

See, this is NOT hard to fix.  Not at all.  If they actually wanted people playing PVE, and that community to grow, they merely would need to have a throttling per player cap.  Right now, I can't even get ONE dino.  Not one.  I'd settle for like, 6, maybe 8, total.  If that's all I could have.

Two mechanics would fix this.  Well, three.

One, instant killing of dinos.  Don't want it... POOF.  

Two, warning and killing of long idle dinos.  There's a dodo belonging to a player sitting literally in mid air right outside my tiny little joke of a base.  Been there for weeks.  Never moved.  Not being touched.  It's not making eggs, not doing anything useful.  Just another of the guy's greed clutch, along with his bazillion pillars.  Oh, he logs in once a week or so, to keep refreshing the damn timers, so I can't whack any pillars.

So, whack the long idle dinos.  Give the player an alert.  Say, one week before they're due to be whacked, he gets an alert.  BUT, if all he does is move them once, to "reset" it, nope... still whacked.  They need to be actually used.

Finally, hard limits on number of players in a server.  Don't lie to us and tell us you have X number of servers available, when most of them have hit their tame limits.  A tame limited server is OFFLINE to new players.  Period, done, end of story.  No new players allowed on any server within 10% of its tame limit. 

Established players bitch non stop in the chat about all the newbies coming in and hitting the tame limit... but they're of course wrong.  Newbies can't tame hoards of dinos.  It's the established player who is breeding 300 dilos, just because he wants one that's pink and green... who has 50 dodos in an egg farm, but really lets most of the eggs rot.  New players get a couple of dinos, then get them killed, rinse and repeat.  You can't begin to "collect" until you've established, and built a base large enough to safely house them.  I finally managed to tame one on my server (once in a while there's a taming slot available), but an alpha raptor ran past my base, and whacked it.  I don't have room for an interior housing for pets at the moment, due to the pillars.  Such is life in the Ark.

But, really, why lie to us.  A server at tame limit is NOT a playable server.  PERIOD.  New players should be warned up front, "This server will not allow you most of the Ark experience, as you cannot tame dinos... go away."

Same with the pillars everywhere.  Again, an EASY mechanic to resolve and not a problem on PVP, since you can just destroy an errant pillar, any time.  

The easy mechanic is to only protect CONNECTED structures long term.  Any lone pillar gets 24 hours for you to build on it, and then it becomes public domain.  If you have a connected structure, with functioning things in it, that can have a radius around it.  But it would need to be an occupied structure, that is regularly operated (doors opened, things done inside).  Again, building an endless set of 1 foundation, 2 walls, 1 storage box, 1 item in box to get around this... not that hard to fix.  If you cared.

Does Wildcard?  No.  Clearly not.  They do not provide any way to see if a server is playable for PVE.  Only pings and body count, which is valuable for PVP.  

You just have to find a lystro with berries on your last slot to check if server is capped...

There is 2 main cause of cap:

-Garage tribe

-Platform saddle make the dino count as 20 slots instead of 1. Raft is 15 if I'm not wrong? I'm not sure about the raft. 

Pillars decay super fast alone... Have you not noticed that they all have a ladder or a ceiling attached? 

Yes, sorry, noticed they had a ladder.  But that's the point... it's a cheap way to game the system, and pee on everything to mark it.  Today I flew over the whole island (I had to bring a Tapejara from the beginner server over to my full server to have a pet).  Nothing but huge swaths of empty land, all with little pillars (with ladders) marking them.  Honesty, I get the idea of staking out territory to be able to build your dream stables... but walling off rivers?  Really?  Pointless.  You can NOT let your dinos wander.  They will glitch out of the fence, or water ones will wind up surfacing and dying, dry ones drown (Doe's are REALLY good at getting stuck on shallow water ledges and drowing, so are dung beetles).  If you want to mate them, you build a small pen, and let them wander ONLY when the female is ready.  Takes less than a minute and bang, done, off goes wandering.  Or weight them down.

After flying over the whole place, I FINALLY found a troodon, raptor and theri infested tiny plot big enough to actually have a small fenced yard for tames... but, of course, can't tame anything on our server ;-).

Point is, this is broken.  it always has been.  There's been no official response of note ever about it.  And no effort really to fix it for PVE.  Only to address glitches for PVP.  Whatever they've done consistently makes it worse for PVE.

Don't talk to me about server problems.  The one I am on has good ping, but really messed up glitching.  Raptors bounce around.  Targetting is impossible.  On the upside, it's easy to kill raptors.  They glitch so much, they can't pounce you.  But, impossible to target distant shots.

So, it's NOT working.  

On the rafts... another case of game breaking player punishing stuff.  When you start to CRAFT one, it should warn you, "Tames are full, this raft will not be claimable."  Instead, it says nothing, and you place it and BAM, it's a dead article in the game.  Forever there to remind you of your folly, claimable by all.  But I can't destroy it, either.  Is it still taking up tame slots?

And why does a raft count as 15?  It does NOTHING unless players are on it, and if they are, that's where you EXPECT to expend server resources.  It's a freebie.  Even the dinos are freebies, essentially.  They only react to tribemates.  Simply turn them off if no tribe member is around, if you are stressed for resources.

My beef is NOT the mechanics on the server side.  It's the callous disregard for paid customers.  Their time, their trouble, their pain.  It's bad enough that when the server glitches and places a wall where you did NOT intend (a 20% chance at least), you have to eat it.  You have to destroy it and get back only half the resources.  So, their mistake punishes you.  But, you can join a server that, for all intents and purposes, is broken.  Non functioning.  You paid for a game about catching, taming, raising, using dinosaurs.  But, no, sorry, YOU, you can't do that.  Some guy has a dodo farm, so you can't have a raptor to ride around on like the lady on the box.

If the game had a large customer base, this would be a class action lawsuit.  It SOLD a lot of copies, true, but, the actual playing public at any given time is pretty low, in online game terms.  So, I suppose they can get away with it.  But, if they advertise "you can tame dinosaurs" and you join a sever, and it doesn't tell you until you TRY to do it, and then just says, "no, you can't," then, that's false advertising.  Fraud, is the nice way to put it.  They lied.

Since I can't find any way to reliably tell if a server is tame locked ahead of time, and I have found people asking about this since the game first went into open beta, and no good response EVER given, I must conclude they intentionally do not want us to know that, in reality, almost all PVE servers are tame locked.  Only briefly coming unlocked when players move large numbers of dinos to other servers, or get wiped in a raid, or cull breeding experiments (how exactly that's done I'm not sure... put them on passive and feed them to a captive wild rex?).

I tried joining the youngest of the PVE NA servers... no way to find a place to build a base, and tame locked.  Joy.  Tried the highest recommended one, even worse finding a base location, and tame locked.  Two others... tame locked.

Worse, as I said, they briefly are unlocked periodically... so testing with a lystro will tell you if you should bother trying to catch that theri right NOW, but it won't tell you if the server has a problem.  Because within five minutes, it'll be tame locked, again.  I used that testing method, with one I walled up untame for that purpose, just to know when to drop a raft.  

Ark is one of the most "alive" worlds I've ever played.  Visually stunning, with remarkable creatures that FEEL real, and infinite moments of adventure.  It's brilliant.  But, guys, come on!!  Solo, it's utterly amazing.  But... lonely.  Nobody to ooh and aah at my amazing base, or to share my joy at a rough tame, or boss win, etc.  But, multiplayer... how can it be THIS broken?

I am sorry to have been vitriolic.  I LOVE this game.  The universe it creates, and the fun.  I wish building wasn't so bloody frustrating, and they gave us just a TINY bit of decoration for our structures (we do live in them, after all... looking at those walls a lot).  Would a NICE bed be too much to ask?  Yeah yeah, have mods, I mean official.  Or stairs, or stone ramps, or a myriad of other very simple building improvements... like being able to move furniture without destroying it.  You know the list of gripes.  But, in the end, what does any of it matter, if all the online game servers are, for all intents and purposes, broken?

2 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

Only for tribe cap; not for server.

Never knew that, we learn new stuff everyday here :Jerblove:

18 minutes ago, JamesBean said:

Yes, sorry, noticed they had a ladder.  But that's the point... it's a cheap way to game the system, and pee on everything to mark it.  Today I flew over the whole island (I had to bring a Tapejara from the beginner server over to my full server to have a pet).  Nothing but huge swaths of empty land, all with little pillars (with ladders) marking them.  Honesty, I get the idea of staking out territory to be able to build your dream stables... but walling off rivers?  Really?  Pointless.  You can NOT let your dinos wander.  They will glitch out of the fence, or water ones will wind up surfacing and dying, dry ones drown (Doe's are REALLY good at getting stuck on shallow water ledges and drowing, so are dung beetles).  If you want to mate them, you build a small pen, and let them wander ONLY when the female is ready.  Takes less than a minute and bang, done, off goes wandering.  Or weight them down.

After flying over the whole place, I FINALLY found a troodon, raptor and theri infested tiny plot big enough to actually have a small fenced yard for tames... but, of course, can't tame anything on our server ;-).

Point is, this is broken.  it always has been.  There's been no official response of note ever about it.  And no effort really to fix it for PVE.  Only to address glitches for PVP.  Whatever they've done consistently makes it worse for PVE.

Don't talk to me about server problems.  The one I am on has good ping, but really messed up glitching.  Raptors bounce around.  Targetting is impossible.  On the upside, it's easy to kill raptors.  They glitch so much, they can't pounce you.  But, impossible to target distant shots.

So, it's NOT working.  

On the rafts... another case of game breaking player punishing stuff.  When you start to CRAFT one, it should warn you, "Tames are full, this raft will not be claimable."  Instead, it says nothing, and you place it and BAM, it's a dead article in the game.  Forever there to remind you of your folly, claimable by all.  But I can't destroy it, either.  Is it still taking up tame slots?

And why does a raft count as 15?  It does NOTHING unless players are on it, and if they are, that's where you EXPECT to expend server resources.  It's a freebie.  Even the dinos are freebies, essentially.  They only react to tribemates.  Simply turn them off if no tribe member is around, if you are stressed for resources.

My beef is NOT the mechanics on the server side.  It's the callous disregard for paid customers.  Their time, their trouble, their pain.  It's bad enough that when the server glitches and places a wall where you did NOT intend (a 20% chance at least), you have to eat it.  You have to destroy it and get back only half the resources.  So, their mistake punishes you.  But, you can join a server that, for all intents and purposes, is broken.  Non functioning.  You paid for a game about catching, taming, raising, using dinosaurs.  But, no, sorry, YOU, you can't do that.  Some guy has a dodo farm, so you can't have a raptor to ride around on like the lady on the box.

If the game had a large customer base, this would be a class action lawsuit.  It SOLD a lot of copies, true, but, the actual playing public at any given time is pretty low, in online game terms.  So, I suppose they can get away with it.  But, if they advertise "you can tame dinosaurs" and you join a sever, and it doesn't tell you until you TRY to do it, and then just says, "no, you can't," then, that's false advertising.  Fraud, is the nice way to put it.  They lied.

Since I can't find any way to reliably tell if a server is tame locked ahead of time, and I have found people asking about this since the game first went into open beta, and no good response EVER given, I must conclude they intentionally do not want us to know that, in reality, almost all PVE servers are tame locked.  Only briefly coming unlocked when players move large numbers of dinos to other servers, or get wiped in a raid, or cull breeding experiments (how exactly that's done I'm not sure... put them on passive and feed them to a captive wild rex?).

I tried joining the youngest of the PVE NA servers... no way to find a place to build a base, and tame locked.  Joy.  Tried the highest recommended one, even worse finding a base location, and tame locked.  Two others... tame locked.

Worse, as I said, they briefly are unlocked periodically... so testing with a lystro will tell you if you should bother trying to catch that theri right NOW, but it won't tell you if the server has a problem.  Because within five minutes, it'll be tame locked, again.  I used that testing method, with one I walled up untame for that purpose, just to know when to drop a raft.  

Ark is one of the most "alive" worlds I've ever played.  Visually stunning, with remarkable creatures that FEEL real, and infinite moments of adventure.  It's brilliant.  But, guys, come on!!  Solo, it's utterly amazing.  But... lonely.  Nobody to ooh and aah at my amazing base, or to share my joy at a rough tame, or boss win, etc.  But, multiplayer... how can it be THIS broken?

I am sorry to have been vitriolic.  I LOVE this game.  The universe it creates, and the fun.  I wish building wasn't so bloody frustrating, and they gave us just a TINY bit of decoration for our structures (we do live in them, after all... looking at those walls a lot).  Would a NICE bed be too much to ask?  Yeah yeah, have mods, I mean official.  Or stairs, or stone ramps, or a myriad of other very simple building improvements... like being able to move furniture without destroying it.  You know the list of gripes.  But, in the end, what does any of it matter, if all the online game servers are, for all intents and purposes, broken?

Well, they did state that the game was designed around tribe PvP with the possibility to customize your gameplay through unofficial servers and mods (at least for PC). And there is no such thing as dino cap on PvP. Actually, it makes things much easier on PvP, at least you can grab wild dino, makes taming 5 times easier. Down side is, you can't get attached to anything  because sooner or later, no matter how good and prepared you are, you will lose everything. 

If they block the waterway, you can submit a ticket, it's against the CoC in PvE

Same with pillars, if it's just to prevent new player to settle, it's against the CoC. 

For the cap, I really hope the cryopod in the next DLC will fix that. As the bulk of the cap is mostly held by garages of dinos that are never used or barely here to keep the bloodline in the tribe. Hopefully it can be powered by something else beside elements. 

Well, a part of structure plus (a wonderful mod) was supposed to come with Aberration, but it got pushed back. Last news of it was in a recent crunch saying that it's planned, but after extinction. 

Yes, I use S+ on our custom server, and love it.  And they have a "vivarium" that allows you to store all dinos that are just for egg laying.  That's smart.  And it's Tek, so if it was part of official servers, you'd have to be a pretty advanced guild to operate it, anyway.  On our server, we can just summon it (gotta love ACM).  

Reading their notes, they are concerned about mechanic breaking elements of S+.  I hope they give us most of it, though.  I hope what they meant was the Nanny or Gardener, etc, and NOT being able to pick up things you place (honestly... I move furniture around my house all the time... why must I demolish a storage box if I put it in the wrong place?).  

We will see.  Look, I love this game.  But, after months and months on our servers, I'm venturing into the vanilla official ones (I miss my mods!), and trying to succeed there.  It's fun.   Ark has these layers to it.  First, you are totally a victim of the environment, afraid of every shadow.  How many times have you panicked and run seeing an Oviraptor come at you, before you realized they are harmless?  How many times have little Troodon rocked your world, or have you spent an entire night inside a thatch hut slowly crumbling as two of them try to tear it apart, praying the day comes, and they calm down a bit...  Awesome.

Then you start to get some control.  You get ahead of that eating and drinking thing.  You get a few tames, so you're getting your thatch, berries, etc. sorted.  Building a real home, and starting to think about expanding.  You start hunting, exploring, and finding and taming new things, discovering what they do (often dying in the process).

Then you get cocky.  You've got some high level tames.  You're soaring around on the best air mount.  You've got a few Quetz at home.  You don't know what to do with them yet (beyond cargo runs), but you've got them, and they're awesome.  Man, first Wyvern raised on Scorched Earth... so cool.  

Then you realize how it all works... and that you were doing it wrong the whole time.  That you have a lot of low level things that, if you're breeding, are worthless.  Now the hunt starts anew, trying to find that elusive max level mob, and it's mate.  The breeding challenges.  Building armies to go get the bosses (actually found the lower level ones on Scorched and Aberration could be soloed without tames, if you have a LOT of ammo... no, more than that... yeah, still more.  No, you still don't have enough ammo...).  A whole new game emerges.

Rare is the game that can have so many layers, and be as fun at level cap, as it was at first loading.  And a game as frustrating as this one, to boot.

But, guys... please... for the love of all that's awesome, fix this!  

Yes, I agree... I hope that a lot is fixed with the new DLC.  Already paid for it, and am excited.  Already have max level tek dinos on our server (well, not the rexes... do you know how many rex's you have to kill to spawn max level ones?  Raptors are a dime a dozen, as are Stego, but on our Ragnarok server right now, there's only 10 rexes up at all.  20 is the max I've seen.  So, finding and killing them all, to hopefully make one spawn Tek, and that be a max level one?  Ouch.  Raptors I got mated max in a day of culling in the canyon.  Stego 2 days on the islands they favor.  Rex... no joy. 

Sorry, sidetracked.  Yes, hope it's fixed.  As of now, public official PVE servers are utterly broken.  For new players, that is.  If you're part of a powerful tribe, that's one thing.  But even then, the tame cap makes it so not fun.  Grinding metal to MAYBE buy a dino is your primary option... it becomes World of Warcraft, then...  

Thanks for letting me vent.  We now return control of your computer screens to you...

• 1 month later...

Afternoon to all.

Couldn't agree with you more Tankerinc, those "big tribe issues" are really ruining the game.

And that absurd excuse "it's the Chinese fault" its just hypocrite. How many players from big NA tribes have lots and lots of dinos they don't even use or take every change they get to dump dinos on other servers?

I just learned about the game like a couple of months ago and bought only the first one (Island map), in the official server I'm currently now has players that have played for a while and players that out of nowhere "puff": 20+ rexes, wyverns and stuff (revealing themselves as not so newbie players as I thought they were). Absurd amounts of dinos that they don't use, they don't even go to fight bosses in a regular basis (some of them of course).

I know that many breed to sell (as forums have suggested), but this tame capacity being full so often is ridiculous. It would be wonderful to know which are the tribes and players who have occupied more than one server with that sole purpose. Why do they need to occupy more than one server? You only need to be in a PvE one and a PvP one (if you're into that) or maybe 4 more (taking into account the available DLC I think). Bosses will not vanish from a server as soon one player or tribe kill them, caves won't remain empty as soon someone clears them out.

It is getting pretty frustrating to enter ARK everyday just to build a base and feed the few dinos I have (40+, couples on and a raft, unbelievable that a raft counts as a tame), it is not worth it.

Those big tribes and players that have filled entire servers with what I call "dump dinos" should be banned permanently.

And no decency from ARK itself to establish some kind of tool or command that we could all use in our respective servers to know if the taming capacity has been reached, at least that. When I entered the game like a month ago I didn't know about taming capacity, "old servers" (by the day they have), forums (where to find info), many important stuff that needs a change.

Think about it.

Archived